Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Infinite full iprs

Bump for full IPR's.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Quote Originally Posted by K1nkstaah View Post
    Oh, right. You must be new. For the first year or so of the game, IPR did not exist.
    At all.

Yeah - You had to reroll. Eventually, ONE full IPR came in. That was it. No single IPR's. They came later. Much later.

A couple of years after that, people like me stated there should be some way to earn them/buy them. That too, came - and thats when the whining stopped.

There is simply no reason to add infinite full IPR's. Rebuilding your character should take effort. If you think the game is cookie cutter now, imagien if full IPR's were easily obtainable, within a week you would goto every forum, and IP templates would be posted everywhere, and people out there would be playing the exact same character.
    Actually, one of the very reasons why I think the game is so cookie cutter is that due to the high cost of resetting IP, people are deathly afraid to try new builds, so they log on the forums to read a guide that tells them the cookie cutter build.

I agree that these free IPRs should be time limited to avoid people continually respeccing every 5 minutes. But first and foremost, they should be free, and they should be infinite. That would actually encourage people to experimentally respec to see what works for them. You know, actually play the game instead of reading a guide than following what the guide tells them to do.

That is what I hate about this game, you literally need your hand held by guides and other players to succeed, god forbid newbies trying to do things on their own.

There is simply no reason to add infinite full IPR's. Rebuilding your character should take effort. If you think the game is cookie cutter now, imagien if full IPR's were easily obtainable, within a week you would goto every forum, and IP templates would be posted everywhere, and people out there would be playing the exact same character.
    in the end i think the current IP framework is why the game is so cookie cutter. who wants to lvl to 220 and risk gimping themselves by spending IP in a risky setup? especially if you are a pvm player. One of the biggest selling points of ao is how customizable it can be, why not remove barriers that prevent it. Why not let me level to 220 and then be able to try 3,4,5,6 different set ups on a toon?

Hm, while I fondly remember my early days here, trying out different set-ups I also remember that I did so at low levels, specifically to avoid damaging my toon beyond repair once I found what works for me - btw, so not cookie cutter - as back then there was no IPR at all.
    I've followed the same recipe ever since, experiment at low levels and determine what way to go.

I also remember the constant whine from those, who spent their IPRs in order to equip the latest flavour-of-the-month gear, still looking exactly alike, all of them. Incidentally, they did so after/while repeatedly being told that IPRs were a very sparse ressource that would not be replenished. At least not until there was a huge change in game mechanics again, like the introduction of SL.

I don't mind the idea of different set-ups, I find that we need more of those.

But somehow I doubt that there will be a huge impact from the ability to switch everything around, people will still holler about the "One True Set-Up" regardless if it is or isn't the only option.
    Oh, and based on what went on with perk reset I'd hazard a guess that if there was a one-week timer then we'd soon have a constantly bumped thread about how "we need" to be able to fully IPR every hour and "that is what was intended" and "the title of the game contains the word Anarchy."

Of course, seeing how it requires a completely stripped toon it wouldn't have all that many negative effects so there's really not all that many arguments against an NPC that will slap your toon so hard over the head that it forgets everything it ever learned.
    Isn't there a bar somewhere that's said to be a real dive? Or use one in Newland for open access.
    Put him there, a huge 'Trox who'll take insult at anything including an offered drink, slap the toon over the head with a good oldfashioned support beam and "steal" 25mil from you.
    Me? Trouble? No trouble..

As Mae West said: "Never resist temptation, you don't know if you'll get another chance."

You know, if you don't like IPRs you don't have to use them.
    Astarra "Esthaer" Hakhamaneshi, Atlantean Clan Female Pistol Nanomage Engineer 220/30/70
    Maryam "Mirienne" Hakhamaneshi, Atlantean Clan Female Pistol Solitus Engineer 220/15/60
    Member of Infinity

Mavritanic:"start this topic is your selfowning"

There is absolutly ZREO legit reasons to make an IP reset hard or expensive.

We all play this game individually and in teams and the benifits of being able to do many many ip resets far out weigh any negatives there may be. (there are no negatives).

Screw 500 million, Screw six months, Screw 50k vp and all the other totally stupid costs and limitations you people have put forth. I seriously wonder what the heck is wrong with some of you.

I challenge anyone to come up with a single legit reason for making IPR's hard, rare and expensive.

It should be exactly like the perk reset NPC. First one is free, can be done every 48 hours, if you want another one back to back 20 million.

That is reasonable and makes sense.

↑↑↓↓ ← → ← → B A
    Quote Originally Posted by doubbleagent View Post
    There is absolutly ZREO legit reasons to make an IP reset hard or expensive.
    There is absolutly ZREO legit reasons NOT to make an IP reset hard or expensive.

I challenge anyone to come up with a single legit reason for making IPR's hard, rare and expensive.
    Because what you do in the game must have consequences. That simple. Now it is almost literally impossible to gimp your toon beyond repair (not if you're not doing it deliberately and even then you can grind endless ammount of VP to reset back to zero) so why'o'why should you have infinite ammount? I hope this is one suggestion that will never make it into the game. One thing I could imagine is Vet point buyable full iprs. That benefits all who could actually use them and is not infinite.

Otherwise it would be easier to just make the sliders 2 way so you can untrain skills and regain IP on the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidana View Post
    Because what you do in the game must have consequences.
    This is a game not military base.

Now it is almost literally impossible to gimp your toon beyond repair (not if you're not doing it deliberately and even then you can grind endless ammount of VP to reset back to zero) so why'o'why should you have infinite ammount?
    It really depends on what profession you play, at what level and how long. I can imagine that not-yet-220-doc have no problem with IPs.
    Try playing some other prof at TL7 for 2-3 years at least.

I hope this is one suggestion that will never make it into the game. One thing I could imagine is Vet point buyable full iprs. That benefits all who could actually use them and is not infinite.
    Why would someone have to wait years to try different setups with their toon?
    You see things only from your own point of view.

Bump.
    I see no reason why we can't have infinite IPRs, or something like the perk reset.

I enjoy doing fun and interesting things on my toons, even if it isn't most effective. For example, I've already gone MA on my shade, tried out ME on my shade, among other things.
    And I don't want to get started on my doc. :P
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

Because what you do in the game must have consequences. That simple. Now it is almost literally impossible to gimp your toon beyond repair (not if you're not doing it deliberately and even then you can grind endless ammount of VP to reset back to zero) so why'o'why should you have infinite ammount? I hope this is one suggestion that will never make it into the game. One thing I could imagine is Vet point buyable full iprs. That benefits all who could actually use them and is not infinite.

Otherwise it would be easier to just make the sliders 2 way so you can untrain skills and regain IP on the fly.
    The issue is not being able to modify skills on the fly, the issue is being able/unable to experiment with different builds. I actually agree with the suggestion to make it like the Perk reset NPC, Free every 48 hours but 20m if you want another full IPR sooner.

There is absolutly ZREO legit reasons NOT to make an IP reset hard or expensive.
    To have a life outside of AO and to not dump hours and hours of time into fixing a toon when there are already enough grinds in this game.

Because what you do in the game must have consequences. That simple.
    I think you fail to remeber to reset ip you must take everything off and retwink it back on, that in itself is a lot of work and time consuming, sure its easyer with perk reset NPC but it still a pain in the butt.

I myself spent 12+ months grinding IPR's (36+ in total) because as a froob i used almost all of mine because i wanted to try diffrent things, and i tried diffrent things when i upgraded as well. The grind you have to go through to get IPR's is stupidly long and hard for anyone who doesnt play AO like it's their life, and even then its a pain in the butt. There really is no reason to let players have a more flexiable play style allowing them to reset their ip as they wish to try new things and to have fun with the game.

Forces you to use your brain, learn mechanics before making decisions about your character.
    I'm casting "Physical Dominance" on you as a kind of kinky thing
    ... also quite proud of being suspended from Lemmingnet.. for... not slacking?
    GOOD ONE.

Don't be lonely anymore.

Forces you to use your brain, learn mechanics before making decisions about your character.
    I think that's a little bit besides the point. Not everyone uses/wants to use IPR's to search for "the perfect setup". Some just wants a change in playstyle from time to time, to keep the game fresh. They probably already know what the best setup is but if they suddenly feel like using a non-cookiecutter setup for whatever reason, then I say let them.

This game and any other game is here for us to have fun with.

The notion of "learning from your mistakes" when it comes to IPR's is a very narrow minded view. That kind of thinking is very subjective and it excludes the reality that not everyone plays the game the same way/for the same reasons as you do.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

I'm not saying learn from mistakes.

I'm saying - Don't make mistakes, because you should know what you are doing. Making IPR's costly forces players to learn about the game, and reduces pre-made templates for characters.

Why is this important? See the effect powerlevelling noobs has - This will result in much the same kind of thing on a grand scale.
    GOOD ONE.

Don't be lonely anymore.

I'm not saying learn from mistakes.

I'm saying - Don't make mistakes, because you should know what you are doing. Making IPR's costly forces players to learn about the game, and reduces pre-made templates for characters.

Why is this important? See the effect powerlevelling noobs has - This will result in much the same kind of thing on a grand scale.
    I am afraid I cant make accurate predictions about how this would affect the majority of AO's players... I can only guess

One of the skills you get while playing this game (properly not by pwrleveling) is the ability to instantly know if the person sitting next to you knows how to play their prof or not. That ability is not resettable and it's up to you to choose if you want to team them or not.
    Resetting IPs like I suggested ... can only increase the quality of the heck noob sitting next to you (either by learning what they are doing and why or following an ip template which is what they do nowdays anyway) but it wont magically turn them into an experienced player... just a better hecknoob.
    Tbh after long conversations about this only types of player i can see suffering from this is
    a) lowbie tradeskillers
    b)pvpers who dont want to rethink their setup (and max their potential) since their current one just works.

Here's my assumption though...
    The ability to play with Ips would allow sooo much experimentation and different setups (deff/agg/nanos/dmg/whatever) and sooo many discussions about the pros and cons of each one that it would be impossible to end up with one setup that is superior to any other in every way... and... as a result people will choose the setup that fits their playstyle the most AFTER having tried other setups that seem to fit other people's playstyles. (and thats for the ones who like to copy not the ones who want to sit down and find out what they really want to do.)
    but... then again this is just my guess and nothing more
    Last edited by psyxorrr; May 13th, 2009 at 08:31:59.

and how are you supposed to do that? plus what you have posted is a reason FOR IPR's.

As you learn about different setups, weapons etc you can settle in on something that YOU LIKE and play it.

Still waiting for a real reason other than some people want to be complete ********s towards others.

and how are you supposed to do that? plus what you have posted is a reason FOR IPR's.

As you learn about different setups, weapons etc you can settle in on something that YOU LIKE and play it.

Still waiting for a real reason other than some people want to be complete ********s towards others.
    Learn the mechanics, look at the alternatives, do the maths in your head and get it right, perhaps?
    GOOD ONE.

Don't be lonely anymore.

I'm saying - Don't make mistakes...
    ... and adopt the cookie-cutter setup everyone and their dog is currently using.
    Astarra "Esthaer" Hakhamaneshi, Atlantean Clan Female Pistol Nanomage Engineer 220/30/70
    Maryam "Mirienne" Hakhamaneshi, Atlantean Clan Female Pistol Solitus Engineer 220/15/60
    Member of Infinity

Mavritanic:"start this topic is your selfowning"

I'm saying - Don't make mistakes, because you should know what you are doing.
    If I gave you my favorite cookbook and ordered a lunch from page 25 and told you I will bite your head off if you dont make it exactly the way it should be - I am sure you would cook a perfect meal and never make single mistake... not

1.) theory /= practice
    2.) people do make mistakes even in much more important matters in life (picking their life partner i.e. )
    3.) you take this game too seriously - its just a game yanno

I still think IPRs should be buyable with Vet points...say, 3-4 for full IPR?
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast