Thread: New Laptop Questions

New Laptop Questions

Well I got an automated call from UPS today saying my new laptop will arrive tomorrow and I guess I'm wondering about a couple of things.

Prefs - What is the recommended way of moving my old prefs file from my PC to my new laptop? Should I just save my prefs folder to a disk and then move it to my new AO folder on the laptop? Is it going to cause any problems that my old PC is XP and my new laptop is Vista (I mean as far as saving prefs to a disk under XP and uploading it in Vista)? Sorry, I'm not as tech savvy as I'd like to be...

So, yeah, I guess all my questions are regarding how to get my prefs to the new rig. I'll be annoyed enough about having to wait around while I re-dowload AO...I really don't want to have to waste more time reorganizing all my toons GUI's and redoing all my bag sorting and renaming and stuff once I get AO installed...so any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Save the entier prefs folder on a disk and copy it in to your new AO install on the new laptop.

Also you might want to avoid installing AO in the defailt directory that wouldbe normaly C:\Program Files\Funcom\Anarchy Online or simelar.

I always sugest creating a games folder on the root of one of your disks or the main if you only have one and install all games there that usualy saves you from 99% of issues you cna have whit AO and other games under Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by Eponyx View Post
    Also you might want to avoid installing AO in the defailt directory that wouldbe normaly C:\Program Files\Funcom\Anarchy Online or simelar.
    Yeah I had already read about this in the stickied thread, I had already planned on making a games folder.

Thanks for the other info as well, I figured the disk would work, just wanted to make sure beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by Memreck View Post
    I'll be annoyed enough about having to wait around while I re-dowload AO...
    FWIW, AO doesn't put any files anything outside it's directory. If you can get your old and new machines talking to each other, you can just copy the whole installation over.
    "Still, I was fabulous, and it was a bloody good laugh"

BUREAUCRASHCOLDCOMFORTFONEBONE
    KISSNMAKEUPCASHORCHEQUEJELLYFUNK

Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfunk View Post
    FWIW, AO doesn't put any files anything outside it's directory. If you can get your old and new machines talking to each other, you can just copy the whole installation over.
    That would be awesome...if I knew how to do it.

Youd have to have both PC's on a network.

The prefs file is all you need, but the thing is - If you know how to backup the prefs folder, you also should be able to backup the \anarchy online folder.

All depends on the size of the folder, and the means you have of transporting it.
    I'm casting "Physical Dominance" on you as a kind of kinky thing
    ... also quite proud of being suspended from Lemmingnet.. for... not slacking?
    GOOD ONE.

Don't be lonely anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by K1nkstaah View Post
    Youd have to have both PC's on a network.

The prefs file is all you need, but the thing is - If you know how to backup the prefs folder, you also should be able to backup the \anarchy online folder.

All depends on the size of the folder, and the means you have of transporting it.
    Well, I have DSL service and a wireless router here at home, my PC is like the main hub and the laptop will be connected to the same network just like my wife's is now.

As far as backing up the files...is it not as simple as sliding the disk in, right clicking prefs folder, "send to" 3½ Floppy ( A: )? Or is there some other more tedious method that would be better? Or could I save it to a CD-R or DVD-R? The latter would work better for saving the whole AO folder methinks due to larger storage capacity...

If you have time, you can try to pack the whole installation up with some archiver tool (zip, rar, 7zip, etc.) to see if it gets any smaller for transferring.
    Then you can simply put all of it (compressed or not) on an USB stick, burn to an R/RW DVD, then copy the whole thing to the new comp to some other place than Program Files, start it up, set the rendering device in the launcher according to what you have on the new comp, and you are good to go.
    No need to redownload, patch, etc., just transfer the working installation from the old comp somehow and it should work as is.

If you burn it on a DVD, it'll even be good as a backup patched up to the current live version in case something happens to your client: you just delete the current installation, copy the backup from the disc, start it up, let the autopatcher update as necessary, and all is done.

"All things point to that they didn't play to win, but for the game itself and to play well. ... Later in their evolution, they forgot all about playing and having fun. When their corrupted minds only cared for what new ways they could gain power, there was no room for the simple things in life."
    - One Who Will Always Listen
    "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."
    - Librarian Isador Aikos, W40k: Dawn of War
    "If you want to make enemies... try to change something."
    - Adam Jensen, Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Cool, well then I guess I'll tinker around with it and see if I can get it to work. I have a feeling my laptop might not arrive today as scheduled since we got like over a foot of snow here yesterday. According to tracking, it "departed" it's last destination (which is in my state) over 12 hours ago, and hasn't "arrived" anywhere yet. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Memreck View Post
    Cool, well then I guess I'll tinker around with it and see if I can get it to work. I have a feeling my laptop might not arrive today as scheduled since we got like over a foot of snow here yesterday. According to tracking, it "departed" it's last destination (which is in my state) over 12 hours ago, and hasn't "arrived" anywhere yet. lol
    Its in the Grid!
    210/18 Solitus Ranged Advy RUSTINEL * GARRZ Soldier Solitus 166/21
    145/18 Solitus Engineer DROIDAGE * AVYLORAN Keeper Solitus 161/14
    97/10 Solitus Metaphysicist MEHFIS * ZHERE Nanotech Nanomage 85/9
    Operator SCARCITY Fixer Opifex 49/5 Only TL2 Fixer solo title 7, all servers
    The Smuggler's Tale
    New Beginnings

Advisor of Shattered Dreams and Lumen Orien

Co-founder of Lumen Orien