Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A New World..

A New World..

The Credit for this suggestion goes to Cadey and me. i hope you guys like it, i think its what AO needs in the long term.

So, i wrote a post on a thread in LoR basically begging FC to up their game and keep us guys interested. The idea is pretty huge for The AO team, but it will bring interest back into the game with new and old players since if the new engine was gonna come in, i really dont think it would bring back all that many people.

The Idea is a planet migration/evacuation. as the RK map is pretty much a mess and i personally hate the zoning idea (yes i know its an old game), but implementing all this + graphics wouldn'nt bring back the playerbase we need in AO. instead, a storyline, set on the nova of our g class star, that being started by some kind of action we as players and/or GM's created, a quick suggestion is to incorporate the notum source into this as we know notum is a awesome source of power, Slowly as the nova takes hold and our system dissipates, playfields and maps dissapear, SL,APF,Outzones of rubi ka etc.. this creates a storybased shutdown of playfields.. which keep things exciting and fresh.. obviously this is not done lightly, this will have to be hard thought over.

Then the Evacuation, Omni tek could have paid the unicorns to create interstellar spacecraft like arks (similarity much? ) and since omni tek have a "we care" mentality, clans would also be saved from this Doomed system as will neutrals (sorry guys :P).

Alternative:
    Storyline; Clan criminals etc could "pay" their way onto Arks through corrupt omni-tek/neuts etc..

This is where it gets really interesting. a number of opportuniies can be grabbed here, ofcourse we need a new planet with notum, scouts will need to be sent out, searching for new worlds which can sustain life and have a stable source of notum, a storyline can be easily incorporated with the ancients/DB/SL etc as a route of ages of some sort. (kind of like homeworld, if anyone remembers that. R.i.P Relic ...)

When a world is found, THIS is where we see the new Map. the new Graphics. Fresh and new, New Balance, EVEN (if it interests other parties) New Factions. After years of light terraforming etc etc (not real time ofc, this will be in a blink of an eye to us, but im going with a storyline) we can settle on this planet and call it our home. All nice and pretty .

Alternative:
    The Terraforming could be part of a mass Global research thing. like with the mechs! Remember them ?

Yes.. i know.. its a HUGE undertaking, but i really think AO needs a complete overhaul like this. making it new and exciting like the other competing games out there. a new zoning System would be great. a fresh smooth map.. (am i repeating myself? sorry..) etc etc i could go on about what AO needs, but this is the new platform to stage it all off from.

Thanks for reading, any further ideas let me know, will implement them into the orginal post if its liked by the community! with thanks aswell
    Proud President of The Leviathan Movement, Behe's Outside Bor Basic
    The Leviathan Movement
    Peepeebedee(current General PVP setup)
    Peepeebedee(current Damage Dealing setup)
    Obifist
    My Youtube'z

The New World..

Needs A New Siggy

Here's your reminder about the difference between a GM and an ARK - <3 Anarrina

Clever, I always imagined something similar to this needs to take place, new planet while keeping the storyline and SF mood (and not trying to please the fantasy community like SL did).
    We could also have something similar to planet-wide BattleStation, faction that "caps" four points has a limited chance to evacuate the planet.

However.
    We're suggesting this to people who can't even release a spreadsheet in time.
    Tshaar Link
    AO TeamSpeak

Each 'planet' could be it's own server.
    Each with unique playfields and etc ofc.
    And think of the fun one could have with a plot driven destruction of a planet every so often?
    Fun way to cover server downtime or forced migration to a new server >.>
    I touched Death in a bad place.

My corporate slavery came with a shiny decoder ring.

Something like this would require massive amounts of development time, they need to put that effort toward creating new content that expands the AO universe rather than deleting/remaking RK for the lulz.

Cppthis.

As i said, this is not something that will take a short amount of time, and it isn't "for the lulz" as you so delightfully put it, im coming up with ideas to save the game.

and expanding the AO universe is what im talking about, RK is very Old now. the Storyline is Ripe for the picking for something huge like this to happen. We are not literally building new worlds as weyland yutani would put it. but graphically we would be. imo this would have a time scale of 2 years, i just hope this is taken seriously by the community and FC

Quote Originally Posted by Tshaar View Post
    However.We're suggesting this to people who can't even release a spreadsheet in time.
    This is true, but its an idea i hope will get them motivated, and MAYBE they can use these items shops to fund this idea.. *shrugs*
    Last edited by peepeebedee; Nov 14th, 2010 at 11:54:23.
    The Leviathan Movement
    Obifist
    My Youtube'z

The New World..

Needs A New Siggy

Quote Originally Posted by Esproc View Post
    Each 'planet' could be it's own server.
    Each with unique playfields and etc ofc.
    And think of the fun one could have with a plot driven destruction of a planet every so often?
    Fun way to cover server downtime or forced migration to a new server >.>
    Bump for this. this is what i hope in the GRAND scheme of things.. will just wait and see i guess..
    The Leviathan Movement
    Obifist
    My Youtube'z

The New World..

Needs A New Siggy

There are some storyline problems in this idea concerning the Shadowlands and Rubi Ka, creating an entirely new planet in the new graphics engine would also be a collossal amount of work for the team, especially after they just went through Rubi Ka and fixed all (well, most) of the floating trees and rocks as well as broken alien spawn points in cities.

In fact, speaking of aliens, remember how Rubi Ka is currently under planetary blockade? How many of these arks would survive?

As you said, Rubi Ka is old. Meaning it's survived for almost ten years now; why change it? To make a new game world without zoning barriers? All of Rubi Ka already exists, it should be possible to just use copy and paste (or duplicate, for those of you who have a more in depth knowledge of 3D design) to recreate Rubi Ka without zones. I'm talking one week's work by one guy as opposed to one year's work by the entire team.

At the end of the day, this would just be too time consuming to be practical. After all the time people have spent on Rubi Ka many wouldn't want to leave and would just quit the game. And if this is what it takes to save the game, honestly I believe AO would die before this new world is complete.
    Hello and welcome to The Internet. Please leave your common sense, decency and humanity with the doorman. Have a nice stay.

Squad Commander and resident Shade of When I Grow Up

Is your GUI getting in the way of playing AO?
    Do you want to be able to take screenshots quickly and easily without hotbars, wings and chat windows getting in the way?
    Are you getting tired of that blue colour scheme?
    Try using my Uncluttered GUI!

thanks for your opinion Scabadus, indeed its a huge undertaking as i have said. but an "updated look" is not going to save this game.

i dunno if you have explored the world. but it is full of bugs.. it would be easier imo to Scrap 'n' go. and the AO Team would be proud of it + FC would invest in this idea. FC as a whole are not in trouble. AO is.
    The Leviathan Movement
    Obifist
    My Youtube'z

The New World..

Needs A New Siggy

Let's all invade Omni Prime.
    ZeePhonz :: 220/30/70 Adventurer
    ZeeMedic :: 220/30/70 Doctor
    ZeeDaKeep :: 220/30/70 Keeper
    Cratscan :: 220/30/70 Bureaucrat
    ZeeStabbie :: 220/30/65 Shade
    ZeeInstein :: 220/21/60 Engineer

President of A.R.S. (Athens Recovery Service)

Whenever I fill out an application, in the part that says "If an emergency, notify:" I put "DOCTOR".

How about a new planet itself?
    A new planet with its own population with space traveling !!!!
    This might require a HUGE team.

Suggestions which move the focus away from Rubi-Ka I think are an excellent Idea.

I'm not 100% behind the idea of destroying Rubi-Ka because as soon as something like that were to enter the pipe people would be crying foul demanding refunds for buying Notum Wars, Shadowlands, Alien Invasion and Lost Eden.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

That's the idea tech <3
    The Leviathan Movement
    Obifist
    My Youtube'z

The New World..

Needs A New Siggy

Hey trousers,
    Nw is already free, how Bout making the whole game free upto the re launch of the destruction and new world and make it beta for rubikans, and build on it from there ? We know fc have the cash to do all this. Ao needs a bigger team to develop it, I'm sure there's better minds out there that can find a solution and work with the people who have the ideas no?

I would volunteer to help. But purely on the turn out of this thread, otherwise I'm gone.
    The Leviathan Movement
    Obifist
    My Youtube'z

The New World..

Needs A New Siggy

Yes, sure, if you can go and secure the funding of upwards of a million euros for a full development team to work on something like this for the span of the few years it would take to implement all of what you suggested.

Dreaming is fine but, come on, seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Miru View Post
    Yes, sure, if you can go and secure the funding of upwards of a million euros for a full development team to work on something like this for the span of the few years it would take to implement all of what you suggested.

Dreaming is fine but, come on, seriously.
    Thanks for your opinion.
    The Leviathan Movement
    Obifist
    My Youtube'z

The New World..

Needs A New Siggy

Quote Originally Posted by Tshaar View Post
    Clever, I always imagined something similar to this needs to take place, new planet while keeping the storyline and SF mood (and not trying to please the fantasy community like SL did).
    Ok, I guess you are not fully familiar with the AO Book or the storyline. SL was never to please fantasy fans.

If you were to show up let's say... in the 1500's with a voice recorder, a solar powered calculator and some things which are common in our time, what are the chances that it would be considered MAGIC? very very likely, also likely they would label you a "witch" and burn you.

Just because it appears to be "fantasy" to you, it doesn't mean it is. The Xan/Redeemed/Unredeemed are ancient civilizations which predate the human race, I hope you get the idea.

PS: Knights of Avalon clan was part of the storyline before SL came out.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Opinions can differ wind . Lets keep this on topic.
    The Leviathan Movement
    Obifist
    My Youtube'z

The New World..

Needs A New Siggy

New world - please no, too much work and throwing very cool, but underrated world to trashcan is not a good idea.

Merging the zones so its one huge area - This sounds more reasonable, tho, not knowing how hard it is and how long it will take, I can live with this old system.

And if you want new places to explore, why not just make new zones. The world of Rubi-ka is big and vast, and it wouldnt be too odd if the terraformers would make new habitable areas.

My biggest concern is that the Rubi-ka aint just too appealin to players anymore. Poor exp, poor monster population, etc. We just need better exp and better items dropping from basic mobs, somethin that one could actually use, not just vendor food.

Quote Originally Posted by Muhkori View Post
    New world - please no, too much work and throwing very cool, but underrated world to trashcan is not a good idea.

Merging the zones so its one huge area - This sounds more reasonable, tho, not knowing how hard it is and how long it will take, I can live with this old system.

And if you want new places to explore, why not just make new zones. The world of Rubi-ka is big and vast, and it wouldnt be too odd if the terraformers would make new habitable areas.

My biggest concern is that the Rubi-ka aint just too appealin to players anymore. Poor exp, poor monster population, etc. We just need better exp and better items dropping from basic mobs, somethin that one could actually use, not just vendor food.
    No, i dont and many others dont want more Areas to explore on RK. it just ruins the Map some more.

Yes. its not appealing to make yet more PF's to grind through, so create something big,new and exciting?

Yep. RK has all the things you pointed out, poor exp etc.. changing that however is not a game changer

...Has the AO community totally given up here? All people can do is point out the negatives. instead of imputing their own ideas. "its not going to work" etc etc is defeatist and not what this game needs.
    The Leviathan Movement
    Obifist
    My Youtube'z

The New World..

Needs A New Siggy

Idea is just too much of a change, it would also means the 500+ guides at AO Universe would become useless and I think the whole AOU Team (including myself) would not like having 5 years of work thrown in the garbage.

Now having some sort of cataclysm change part of RK (not SL), move quests already existing around but NOT change them, that may be more realistic.

Still, it would take years, almost every playfield has player cities, can't move those, so they would have to re-design around existing real estate.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast