Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Friday Discussion w/Means on RK2

Friday Discussion w/Means on RK2

Posting some snippets from the Friday in-game talk with Means on RK2. I went through the chat and posted the questions with answers..so some of the timestamps are out of order. It was a nice chat and pretty awesome of Means to make himself available like that to the community in my opinion. Enjoy!

[Vicinity] Dagget: when will the new flora be rolled out for the new engine?
    [Vicinity] Means: Dagget: First tree was made this week...we are working on how far we can push the limits of the new engine to make the trees/flora look good

[Vicinity] Ekarona: Hmm, any eta on patch about no-nodrop LE types, my trader needs shotgun upgrades ;D
    [Vicinity] Means: Ekarona: The next update has that in it...I'm hoping inside the next two weeks

[Vicinity] Dagget: how automated it that? or is it gonna be labor intensive?
    [Vicinity] Means: labor intensive...we are not using speed-tree or anything
    [Vicinity] Means: Dagget: I think it is doen

(13:46) Vayde: Will we be seeing new body models to coincide with the new heads? So far they look fantastic, but a little off when slapped on the low-poly bodies
    (13:46) Means: Vayde: New bodies will come at the same time as new heads
    (13:47) Means: we will be working on replacing old textures from now until eternity after the engine release...but we will try and get through the most used ones first

(13:47) Dagget: what kind of rewards do you get from The Collector? Only so far have heard about 'social' armor
    (13:49) Means: The Collector will drop social armor...but have a chance at pretty much ALL rare loot in the whole game...and some items that have not dropped for a very long time

(13:49) Ekarona: ELLTS?
    (13:49) Means: Ekarona: probably

(13:50) Replica10: let it drop pumkin bikes .)
    (13:50) Means: Replica10: Maybe next halloween

(13:47) Traderjill: Means, any chance that sk from inferno mission rewards can work like the daily missions.. where overflow will do multiple hits to your research line?
    (13:49) Means: Traderjill: We haven't thought about it

(13:48) Vayde: No more grass textures that make me feel like I'm in Honey I Shrunk The Kids I hope.
    (13:50) Means: Vayde...the artists made me promise we would replace ALL those horrible grass textures

(13:53) Dagget: any plans for new Veteran booth items? lot of us collecting Vet pts and nothing left to spend them on
    (13:53) Means: we definitely need more Vet items

(13:54) Dagget: where will the new german playfields be located?
    (13:55) Means: Dagget: in the gap in the map between Wailing Wastes and Newland

(13:55) Replica10: will they have whompa / grid access?
    (13:56) Means: Replica10: at first no access at all. After there will be Whompa/grid access

(13:55) Ekarona: will you thow couple dynas in there too?
    (13:56) Means: Replica10: no plan for Dyna's in there at all

(13:54) Traderjill: Means, any idea when transfer to test will be fixed? And also, any chance that we'll get the option to purchase character slots like you can do in age of conan?
    (13:56) Means: Traderjill: I'm hoping the copy to test gets fixed next week...and I don't think we will have account slots for sale...our database is different than Conan's

(13:55) Scorpion2005: Question, can player shops be removed and u can be able to buy right off gms? i dun liek runnin'
    (13:57) Means: Scorpion2005: Some day we might move towards a traditional auction house system...but it isn't likely to be soon

(13:57) Vayde: On the subject of paid services, what about name changes? Will we at least see one with the eventual one-time breed change post-rebalance?
    (13:58) Means: Vayde: Name changes will be a paid option at some point soon-ish. The breed change option does not come with a name change

(13:59) Jantunen: nick changing system says that one is able to change his nick below lvl20
    (13:59) Jantunen: that doesnt work anymore
    (13:59) Jantunen: even @ lvl1 it says that you cant change
    (14:00) Means: Jantunen: it should...we'll need to look into that

(14:01) Cromage: Will there be log of this for download?
    (14:01) Means: Cromage: if there is it isn't put up by me

(14:02) Mezzedj00: Wasnt there a discussion about adding new mobs or bosses to regular pande with new loot added?
    (14:03) Means: Mezzedj00: We decided to add a whole instance to Pandemomium instead

(14:04) Dagget: what the current estimate of the time, starting next week, that it will take Bejing to do the heads?
    (14:04) Means: Dagget: HOPEFULLY before new engine is done :P

(14:04) Cromage: Also, will the textures of char body be enhanced?
    (14:05) Means: Cromage: yes..just like the heads

(14:05) Dagget: the impression I got from the December letter was that it woudl take 2 months, starting in january but then TSW and/or RoTG bumped the head project down the list
    (14:05) Means: Dagget: 2 months sounds about right

(14:05) Berinda: Will the new engine fix the issues with waterfall textures that have been messed up since the Mikkelson instance came out? It makes a couple places look horrid right now.
    (14:05) Means: Berinda: Waterfalls are being replaced with new ones in the new engine

(14:06) Jekoblastah: Second try *** How is the current balance of population now that majority of the Germans have moved to rk1. If there is some differences, how you are going to respond to them? Transfer between rk2->rk1 / rk1->rk2 possible in the future? ***
    (14:07) Means: Jekoblastah: There were more people on RK2 than RK1 before the German transfer...there is still not a large difference. There will not even be thought of transfer between RK1 and 2 any time before the release of the new engine.

(14:05) Traderjill: Long question.. nowadays most of the end game instances in LoX are being done with what I'll call super-teams.. generally docs/enfs/solds/crats (in some cases keepers) are the only wanted/needed professions to complete a raid. What are your thoughts on that? Do you think the rebalancing will change that or are there any plans on the table to try to make other support professions play a more meanignful role in raiding?
    (14:10) Means: Traderjill: We are hoping to make support classes more desireable in teams in the future. Though currently we believe that support professions do contribute in a meaningfull way in teams now.

(14:09) Atreon: WTF MEANS IS A GIRL?
    (14:10) Means: Atreon: G.I.R.L. = Guy In Real Life

(14:10) Rubyzero: hey means, when are you going to get rid of that alien protection field nano that you get when you exit APF properly, I remember quite some time ago it would be removed eventually, well that eventually was 1-2 years ago
    (14:11) Means: Ruby: You can still see it...but it doesn't do anything outside of those sectors

(14:12) Contrabands: any eta on next patch with the collector instance? like 1 month or thereabouts?
    (14:13) Means: Contrabands: Hopefully less than a month

(14:12) Falkvinge: Means will opifex get better looking arms and no elven ears?
    (14:13) Means: Falkvinge: the arms will be better but the ears will stay

(14:13) Shuzzy: How do we kill Superman?
    (14:14) Means: Shuzzy: Bad box office sales...and Kryptonite

(14:14) Cromage: Teh ultimate question: Can we expect the new engine this year?
    (14:14) Means: Cromage: Yes

(14:13) Darkstabber: One question I do have for means though: Is there any words on aerial mech combat? It would be kickass to have some flying mechs, and you could even make flying tower fields (or sort of an exterior BS)
    (14:15) Means: Darkstabber: No aerial mech combat is planned. That would be a nightmare to make.

(14:15) Vayde: Are particle effects still something planned to be reworked in the new engine? Can we expect new art and effects, or will it just be more colored lights?
    (14:16) Means: Vayde: The old effects will be there from the start...but we will have access to a new effects creation system...that the designers can't wait to get their hands on.

(14:18) Shuzzy: When can we expect infants and children to enter the game? I already bought a baby atrox onie
    (14:18) Shuzzy: errr.one-sy
    (14:19) Means: Shuzzy: There will never be children models in AO due to the ratings issues that can cause

(14:17) Sheffs: tbh on the subject of support profs - it seems crats are more overpowered compared to other support profs (to the degree of making docs obsolete) Is there any plans to make traders/mps have similar power?
    (14:20) Means: Sheffs: I don't think Crats make Docs obsolete
    Last edited by Traderjill; Apr 2nd, 2010 at 21:41:51.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

(14:20) Jantunen: btw, when this "big balancing patch" is going to be released?
    (14:21) Means: Jantunen: this year. We need to get the current update out...then we can really focus on the changes and their testing

(14:22) Rubyzero: Means: AI ships and adonis underwater areas are still pretty laggy even on good machines, with the new engine will that address the performance issues in those playfields?
    (14:23) Means: Rubyzero: the effect will run a different way in the new engine...We'll have to wait and see. It is likely those effects will be changed at some point when we get a chance

(14:22) Dagget: When do you get your own official twitter and Facebook page like AoC and TSW?
    (14:24) Means: Dagget: we have a facebook page...but no time to update it nowdays :P

(14:24) Leileena: Oooh yes, the mentor thing
    (14:25) Leileena: Info!
    (14:25) Means: All "our part" of the mentor system is done...we are waiting on help from the billing systems team
    (14:25) Means: it isn't cancelled...only delayed

(14:25) Ekarona: Live support chat?
    (14:26) Means: Ekarona: live support chat isn't coming any time soon

(14:26) Rubyzero: Means, if you play AO in your spare time what is your favorite character to play?
    (14:27) Means: Rubyzero: Spare time? .... I always loved playing my agent...it is still my favourite as you don't see anything like it in any other game I have ever found

(14:28) Dagget: what still needs testing on testlive beofe the Daily missions/collector come here?
    (14:30) Means: Dagget: A few issues to fix: Fr00bs still not able to get into Org HQ's. A few missions not resolving properly/balanced incorrectly. GTH still not fixed right. And a few other small issues.
    (14:30) Means: why I think it will be a couple more weeks.

(14:31) Mirkka: question: will it still be possible to dual log after the engine upgrade
    (14:32) Means: Mirkka: yes it will still be possible to dual log

(14:33) Dagget: what's an example of a gimpy pc/video that the engien runs in -now- (before tweaking is all done)
    (14:33) Means: Dagget: we have only started working on optimization...too early to tell.

(14:32) Ekarona: also will new engine support "sick" resolutions if I win In lotto and get 10kx8k projector setup ;D
    (14:34) Means: Ekarona: I don't know what resolutions will be supported by the new engine. I imagine they will be the same as AoC.

(14:34) Cromage: Q: Are we going to see new noob guides/ingame tutorials for starting players in future?
    (14:35) Means: I have some plans for new player startup...but nothing I can make public now

(14:34) Vayde: Cloth simulation in the new engine. Can i has?
    (14:35) Leileena: And flexible hair!
    (14:35) Means: We won't be doing flexible hair.

(14:38) Grabthar: Id still love to hear any info on that new pvp area :/
    (14:41) Means: Grabthar: The new pvp area will have to wait until after the balance update. I'll give more details on it when we have them firmed up.

(14:42) Cromage: Means yre you going to play TSW ?
    (14:42) Means: Cromage: Tried it for the first time last week. The PvP was really fun...it is the only game I am looking forward to playing at the moment

(14:42) Vayde: Another heads question: Will there be any new heads not based on existing ones? If not, will we at least see some of the "existing but missing" heads introduced?
    (14:43) Means: Vayde: There are some heads that are in-game now that have been used so few times since their inclusion that they will not be redone...so they will be replaced by something completely new

(14:44) Atreon: Means QUESTION!!! will there be another full ip reset anytime soon?
    (14:45) Means: Atreon: When we put out the balance update..yes...full IPR

(14:45) Atreon: Will atrox still be able to wear bikinis in new engine?
    (14:46) Means: Atreon: Absolutely...Atrox will still be able to wear bikinis. In even higher poly count/texture resolution....I'm not sure it is a good idea...but it is AO.

(14:46) Styxor: will there be any bs changes ?
    (14:47) Means: Styxor: We hope to make some changes to the BS as soon as we get a chance...when is the hard part. At least we all agree we want to do something in that area...so it won't be forgotten

(14:49) Grabthar: and speaking of pande, what happened to the rework or inclusion of new phats in the noninstanced version?
    (14:50) Means: Grabthar: We haven't included any new high end loot in non-instanced pande yet as a lot of people were enjoying not having to join a bot for their items
    (14:51) Means: We will add more loot to the Beast at some point...but we will likely make it harder first

(14:50) Styxor: Means pls limit sams on towersites again ='( 60 sams on a 300 site is just overkill
    (14:52) Means: Styxor: I've heard about the SAM issue and we will be chatting about it on Tuesday

(14:52) Vayde: More fights with more complex mechanics <3 Was actually hoping instanced pande would have allowed for that, but ah well.
    (14:53) Means: Vayde: The new instance will be enough new mechanics for you Trust me

(14:56) Traderjill: Means: Penumbra lately has become a place that people pretty much skip (except for ice golem, alappa) do you think the daily mission rewards will liven it up (DOJA chips) or any plans to bring life to that playfield?
    (14:57) Means: This is the first version of the daily missions...we look forward to including SL daily missions as soon as we can.
    Last edited by Traderjill; Apr 2nd, 2010 at 19:59:56.
    You can find me at:

Full log of questions with answers posted.. I may have missed the first 5 min as there were about 5-7 people present when I arrived.
    Last edited by Traderjill; Apr 2nd, 2010 at 20:04:08.
    You can find me at:

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    Full log of questions with answers posted.. I may have missed the first 5 min as there were about 5-7 people present when I arrived.
    Think I was first one in, will post full log once I get it cleared...
    http://docs.google.com/View?id=dckbpctv_18dw5qfxg7
    Last edited by Ekarona; Apr 2nd, 2010 at 20:26:29.
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

The best FmW ever! Thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    Thanks for posting the chat log. The above quoted part was nice to see... a direct answer, not another "Soon™" or "hopefully by X™".
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

Quote Originally Posted by Ekarona View Post
    Think I was first one in, will post full log once I get it cleared...
    http://docs.google.com/View?id=dckbpctv_18dw5qfxg7
    Thanks, look like I only missed the first 2 questions, based on your log. I went ahead and added those to the top of my first post so people don't necessarily have to read through pages for everything.
    You can find me at:

ELLTS pretty much confirmed! What other crazy loot do you think will drop?

- Eye of the Hunter?
    - Pioneer Backpack?
    - Handguns Nball?
    - Dillon helmet?
    - Miy cloaks?

Earlier questions:
    ==========

(removed) they have been added to top post
    Last edited by Dagget; Apr 2nd, 2010 at 20:58:59.

Easily one of the most interesting Non-FWM's in ages.
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Quote Originally Posted by cbus97 View Post
    ELLTS pretty much confirmed! What other crazy loot do you think will drop?

- Eye of the Hunter?
    - Pioneer Backpack?
    - Handguns Nball?
    - Dillon helmet?
    - Miy cloaks?
    He said "rare loot" and "loot that hasnt dropped in a long time".

Pioneer never dropped, it was a gift, so i doubt it.
    Miy Cloaks dont drop, cant see why it would be added.
    Handgun Nball apparently dropped, so might.

Dont know about the other 2.
    Omutb - President - Ring of Destruction

If you only knew the power of the Frosted Strawberry Poptart....

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead." - because Wales just isnt a country

Chernobyl, providing the freshest bottled water since 1986, for that healthy green glow.

GJ, ty for posting
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

"(14:07) Means: Jekoblastah: There were more people on RK2 than RK1 before the German transfer...there is still not a large difference."

I wish they would stop looking at imaginary numbers, and actually log and try to get some pvp done on RK2.
    Fixer - Solja Lite
    Adv - Forgotten lubchild
    Trader - Nerfed Professional

More answers than any other FwM for a long while!

/positive feedback

Teh ultimate question indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Racatti View Post
    "(14:07) Means: Jekoblastah: There were more people on RK2 than RK1 before the German transfer...there is still not a large difference."

I wish they would stop looking at imaginary numbers, and actually log and try to get some pvp done on RK2.
    Try RK1.
    Yes this is my obligatory timezone whine.
    Having said that, RK2 is just as dead then.
    Don't be lonely anymore.

Look at your post, now back at mine. Now back to your post, now back at mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through posts, reading the posts your posts could look like. Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again, my reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

Can expect it all we want I guess... no reason for it to come though. Graphics engine is complete vaporware.
    Fastest Contact: Northadvncd "Agptaxi" Bankterminal
    Created: 2005-08-07 The AGP Cancelled: 2012-02-11
    AGPSHADOWMA2202568[P][E] AGPSHADOOMNT2142650[P][E]
    AGPECKOSOL1502049[P] AGPATLASDOC1502023[P]
    JURKENF150207[P][P2] JWRKENF270207 JUURKMP600614[P] HANZELSOL1001028[P]

Quote Originally Posted by Racatti View Post
    Actually they ARE looking at real numbers, you are the one using imaginary numbers. They can actively see how many people are connected to the server, they can even see what levels everyone is that is connected to the server. You on the other hand only notice the people standing around you.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Quote Originally Posted by mocs View Post
    this guy is super funny,doesn't know how to play his doc but still he asks for a nerf to crats
    please:EULA ->Adult game ONLY!!
    It just seems strange to me that endgame instances such as DB2 and Mitaar are completable without a doc, *only* if there is a crat available.

And you will also note that I was not actually asking for a nerf to crats, I was suggesting they were OP in comparison to other support professions in PvM (as neither a trader or a MP would make a doc obsolete in either of the aforementioned instances) and asking if the other support professions would be bought in line with this. I dunno about you, but I never see people saying 'Ah, no crats on LFT, we'll pick up a trader instead'

Please:EULA -> Reading Comprehension ONLY!!
    Last edited by Sheffsammie; Apr 3rd, 2010 at 06:43:07.
    Sheffsam (200/0 Agent) E - Drsheffsam (200/0 Doc) E - Sheffsammy (200/0 NT) E - Sheffie (200/0 Trader) E - Sheffix (200/0 Fixer) E
    Sheffs (220/30/70 Doc) Crit - Nabcake (220/30/70 NT) Cheap & Effective - Sheff (220/30/67 Agent) Equip Undecided
    RK2 Neutral - Grey Area

oooooh that "everything can drop" seems very fun. random and spontaneous loot that may or may not be super valuable=good for the economy, good for lucky people, good for hard work, seems like pure win
    Ripcraty//ripblunt//ripengi (frooby)//ripshadey

Quote Originally Posted by Ripfengor View Post
    oooooh that "everything can drop" seems very fun. random and spontaneous loot that may or may not be super valuable=good for the economy, good for lucky people, good for hard work, seems like pure win
    The Collector is certainly a very unique idea. I like how they covered up the idea of purely random drops with the idea that the Collector actually collects lol.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast