Thread: Character Creation Update?

Character Creation Update?

What's the very first thing you see when you enter the game? The very first thing you encounter, making the decisions that will determine what sort of role you'll play in AO?

As it is, the character creation process is much more immersive than other games. You don't get a single window with every option in one place. You get an actual experience, in a way, while creating.

I think that whenever you're getting close to done with the new engine, you should also update the character creation experience. I like the theme, I like the space backdrop. The button layout is perfectly fine. The profession models in creation will definitely need an update, but they're awesome regardless.

But the graphics, man. They speak of a time before the year 2000, not 200000+. I stopped and actually LOOKED at it today. I usually just take it for granted and speed through, not noticing the grainy backgrounds or how boring the stars actually are, completely static while the rotating background resets its movement every few seconds in a cheesy sort of way.

The game as of AI/SL has become much different than the original game in terms of how professions play. A tab with relevant information on professions with the SL expansion pack would be a very good idea. It would show froobs what they're missing, inform sloobs of what a profession can actually do in SL without having to guess or check outside material, and just sooth some of us who are anal retentive about such silly detains.

So, my suggestion in a nutshell is: Refine the graphics in the character generation process. Sharpen them up, but keep the layout like it is. Add tabs to the profession information selection so that you can switch between the current profession information and new SL information.
    Last edited by BugsCoT; Feb 19th, 2010 at 23:25:22.
    -Bugs
    Test Dimension

Problems with "patch not found" error while trying to get on Testlive?
    See Technogen's "Halp, I can't patch to test!" Fix

Race is best linked to profession.

I think that the profession choice should be first.
    Anarrina is just doing her job. Way nicer in IRC.|| High aptitudes in some things != social skills.
    "Don't debate with a troll. They are impervious and will bring you down to their level; in height range to beat you with their thick little skulls."
    Audible taste of Africa.
    One string.| How to bring a sense of accomplishment back. "Fr00bs play AO; sl00bs work it."
    Why so serious?
    Stick What? You mean there are not enough PvP-ers ... to get the BS running? ... how come ...
    Aeliniyah : Where exactly? ... it requires only 6+6 people to start a round of BS, yet they never run ...

bump

in fact the profession should be first choice, so a tutorial or voice can advice you breed according to that choice.

and there also, some basic explanation on game system could happen before popping on noob island :

something not too long/boring, interactive, explaining such things as windows, movement, combat, nanos, skill system + requirements.
    Bitnykk/Bittorrent - young RL of AP & old emissary of CODE

It's important not to try and overload a person on their initial experience. You can only learn so much in a period of time before your brain starts tossing it out the window.

The basics of any MMO are usually fairly overwhelming. Getting a player to use the controls as they learn them usually helps speed up the process as they go along. A single-player interactive tutorial would be far better than what we got going on currently. This could seamlessly lead into backyards or whatever it is that's planned for the future of newbies.
    Last edited by BugsCoT; Feb 20th, 2010 at 01:19:22.
    -Bugs
    Test Dimension

That's what the arrival hall/crashed shuttle was, but it overwhelmed new players. Bring back the crashed shuttle, but not the arrival hall. That way there's only 1 way for them to go when making a new character, instead of wandering around a huge room, wondering if any of those NPCs are essential.

Quote Originally Posted by BugsCoT View Post
    It's important not to try and overload a person on their initial experience. ...
    Hmm... I see an Atrox when I chose enforcer and then when it come to race ... oh wait there is the bovine again! Hmm... I guess I must go with the opifex!

Gee, the nano technician I just chose was a nano mage ... hmm I better be an Atrox in case they are trying to trick me!
    Anarrina is just doing her job. Way nicer in IRC.|| High aptitudes in some things != social skills.
    "Don't debate with a troll. They are impervious and will bring you down to their level; in height range to beat you with their thick little skulls."
    Audible taste of Africa.
    One string.| How to bring a sense of accomplishment back. "Fr00bs play AO; sl00bs work it."
    Why so serious?
    Stick What? You mean there are not enough PvP-ers ... to get the BS running? ... how come ...
    Aeliniyah : Where exactly? ... it requires only 6+6 people to start a round of BS, yet they never run ...

More of that woman voice.

Quote Originally Posted by GenShay View Post
    Hmm... I see an Atrox when I chose enforcer and then when it come to race ... oh wait there is the bovine again! Hmm... I guess I must go with the opifex!

Gee, the nano technician I just chose was a nano mage ... hmm I better be an Atrox in case they are trying to trick me!
    I have a feeling his post was aimed less at you and more at the one directly above his. Flamebait less, kthx

I have mixed feelings on the whole thing, I think they should be on one page but meh.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
    I have mixed feelings on the whole thing, I think they should be on one page but meh.
    Everyone has one page.

One page is conformist.

FIGHT THE SYSTEM!
    -Bugs
    Test Dimension

I'd just like to be able to rotate the avatars so I can see them from any angle at some point during character creation. There has been times I'd pick a head I thought looked good from the front but didn't like it from behind once I got in the game which is the angle I'd be seeing it from about 99.9999999% of the time. So I'd delete the char and remake it with a different head.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixOfAges View Post
    I'd just like to be able to rotate the avatars so I can see them from any angle at some point during character creation. There has been times I'd pick a head I thought looked good from the front but didn't like it from behind once I got in the game which is the angle I'd be seeing it from about 99.9999999% of the time. So I'd delete the char and remake it with a different head.
    QFT!

I can't count the number of times I've chosen a balding head only to find out it's balding WITH A PONYTAIL!

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixOfAges View Post

Just bring back the original character creation and it'll be fine. The original GUI also.

Part one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-subybUkxk

Part two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1zih...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Phixalicious View Post
    Just bring back the original character creation and it'll be fine. The original GUI also.

Part one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-subybUkxk

Part two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1zih...eature=related
    Seen that a few times, always thought that was a neat way of doing it. Going back to that would be nice but the more plain Jane approach they have been using is likely what we'll be stuck with.

It doesn't make much sense to throw a character straight into controls before you've even formed a face

I like how the old process looks, though.
    -Bugs
    Test Dimension

Quote Originally Posted by BugsCoT View Post
    It doesn't make much sense to throw a character straight into controls before you've even formed a face

I like how the old process looks, though.
    You'll never hear "How do I walk?!?!?!1111" again, for one thing.