Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The CH debate: Round 2 -- Fight!

The CH debate: Round 2 -- Fight!

I keep seeing agents posting that they want to trade CH and I want to put the idea to rest.

I really don't know where they got this idea in their heads. That somehow trading CH would open us up to some other kind of awesome defense making the gimpy tool sets in other professions viable. Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion but I fear this one is incorrect and would like to sway people away from this idea.

• As it stands now, one of the only advantages Opifex has over Trox as an agent at end game is the fact that we don't have nano pool issues. If we traded CH we'd lose that. Opi would quickly become, like shades, just a far inferior breed for agents

• Other professions don't "trade" things for upgrades. Even if you would use crat stun as an example of a "trade" I'd say it hasn't been around long and is looked at as a mistake at this point because there was no counter to it (unlike CH)

• New mimic ideas are great, especially ones that let us insta switch while cancelling non-agent buffs. Basically any system that doesn't let us carry OP perks/nanos/whatevers from one profession to the next, would allow us a deeper tool set in each profession. But in no way would these require a removal of CH.

• CH, as it stands now isn't currently overpowered, many profession can debuff it, some can stop it completely and shades can Alpha through it. Crats, Docs, Enfos, MAs, other Agents and NTs can init debuff it. Soldiers and MPs can stop it completely, and MPs and Docs can debuff it's usefulness (heal eff).

• The audacity of saying it's ok to trade away one of the primary tools that some agents have used since practically the beginning of time is also beyond me. No one would ever suggest a soldier give up AMS or for an MP to trade his pets, or and NT not use nukes. If someone doesn't like the profession they are playing, they are free to suggest options with new and different play styles. But to trade the primary tool that others quite like for your upgrades is quite selfish in my opinion.

• Many agents also have very tailored builds that center around being effective healers. By removing CH this could instantly make a large amount NoDrop gear obsolete. While this is often true with upgrades, the amount of items this could potentially devalue is more when changing the entire play style of a profession.

• What a lot of people offering to trade CH forget is that by giving us access to so many different professions, it necessitated giving us only limited access. Agents will never get to be full versions of every profession. The problem is that is further limited by the fact we can TP and switch profession while still maintaining some of the tools from a previous profession. This put Funcom into a situation in which they could only give us the "little" buffs from each profession on top of the debuff from mimic. This is the crux of the problem.

• If we were given some type of new defense that persisted all across the other mimics, this would be yet another one of those things that would necessitate limiting what we have access to in each mimic. This is the heart of the argument of those willing to trade CH, as CH, despite all the debuffs, is still barely clinging to viability. But you add that static defense, and you have yourself something that is approaching overpowered. The question is, why do we have to have new defense added that way?

• The suggestion of a new defense that persists across mimics is by no means the only way to open up the profession to versatility. Rather this is (imo) an ill thought-out idea meant to keep us from having to worry about defense in whichever new mimics become viable. Surely we'd never get things like SWS (in mimic fixer only) if we had our own defense. And if we did, we'd be ridiculously over powered.

• What could be done instead is to make the defenses of the professions we chose to mimic be the ones we need to use as our defense. This would force FC to create a new kind of "true" mimic in which would could not carry over buffs from previous mimics. Some have suggested perks as an addition bonus, this too is a good start.

• New insta-switchable mimics that would cause us to lose buffs from a previous mimic is also a fantastically interesting idea to altering play style, it would open up almost limitless new possibilities and not turn us into some old DD/evader template.

• With diversity comes limit to our persistent tool set. With too strong a persistent tool set, diversity must be limited. We can't ever be a jack of all trades, with a giant AS to ram up your butt.

----------------

Note: I may update this post if this unfolds into a good debate, as I'm sure there might be one or two points I have forgotten
    Last edited by blackmesa; Jun 12th, 2009 at 12:23:56.

Blackmesa
    220/30/68 Clan Agent

ja

hehe didnt read it but on the topic i agree. we shouldnt need to trade ch for extra damage we should just have extra damage
    i am not sure however if funcom would give us extra damage and not listen to scare mongers and trolls and actually leave ch alone instead of nerfing it.

oops thought that was leetlovers post LOL

ok il read it........

nice
    Last edited by torakx; Jun 12th, 2009 at 12:22:36.

Quote Originally Posted by torakx View Post
    hehe didnt read it but on the topic i agree. we shouldnt need to trade ch for extra damage we should just have extra damage
    i am not sure however if funcom would give us extra damage and not listen to scare mongers and trolls and actually leave ch alone instead of nerfing it.

oops thought that was leetlovers post LOL

ok il read it........

nice
    LOL dont confuse me with him! harsh man!

thanks though, & sorry I was still adding 1-2 points when you were posting I think >.>

Blackmesa
    220/30/68 Clan Agent

ja

Quote Originally Posted by torakx View Post
    nice
    What he said..

Quote Originally Posted by blackmesa View Post
    • The audacity of saying it's ok to trade away one of the primary tools that some agents have used since practically the beginning of time is also beyond me. No one would ever suggest a soldier give up AMS or for an MP to trade his pets, or and NT not use nukes.

Audacity? CH is 1 (one) of hundreds fp-able nanos. ^_^

Many agents also have very tailored builds that center around being effective healers.

Are they existing at the expense of the primary role of the agent, holding it back?

I'd live without CH, agent is supposed to be the top rank dd in the game.

We can get designs where we get both good heal-builds and good damage-builds, basicly by giving agent better heals as doc and better damage as agent/non-doc. There you have flexibillity, the core-profession and a better scaling of balance.

This way the ch-clan keeps ch.
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by leetlover View Post
    Audacity? CH is 1 (one) of hundreds fp-able nanos. ^_^
    I'm quite sure you don't evaluate our tool set based on the sheer number of nanos we can fp. But nice attempt to marginalize CH's importance without actually saying anything of substance.

Are they existing at the expense of the primary role of the agent, holding it back?
    No, and I already described why CH isn't OP.

I'd live without CH, agent is supposed to be the top rank dd in the game.
    "Supposed to be?" C'mon that was like 4 expansions and 3-4 game directors ago. Welcome to 2009 (or whatever the RK date is )

We can get designs where we get both good heal-builds and good damage-builds, basicly by giving agent better heals as doc and better damage as agent/non-doc. There you have flexibillity, the core-profession and a better scaling of balance.

Isn't this already the case? An agent in full Jathos isn't going to be hitting top DD in any way whatsoever, and a fully crit setup agent isn't gonna be able to chain CH.

Not sure what you're saying beyond that, we can get better designs?
    Last edited by blackmesa; Jun 12th, 2009 at 16:44:30.

Blackmesa
    220/30/68 Clan Agent

ja

This is a good conversation to have, please don't have an argument with Leet in it, it'll wind up as 5 pages of *I'm right, cause I say so, and you're a trOll cause you're speaking*

I don't see complete heal as being over powered in TL7, you already summed up the reasons as to why its sub par. I don't want it taken away though, you already stated most of the reasons for not removing/nerfing its use. I find it mildly amusing that anyone would ask for its alteration in TL7 pvp, the only class that ever had a problem killing me through complete heal was a fixer and I think he was just ****in around.

I agree that giving agents too much static defense *could* make CH over powered in PvP. So, hopefully funcom won't do that. The ability to reconceal, to vanish mid-fight however isn't really static defense. That I would support as an agent/shade constantly useable defense.

Agents should be able to do extremely impressive damage both in pvp and pvm, altering the current mimic lines and adding new nanos does not seem to be the way to do it. Weather its balance issues that hold us back or simply a set of developers that do not play their own game doesn't matter, but something does seem to be preventing real, useful upgrades to agents.

Personally, I want a reconceal nano to use as defense, more conceal from the shadow sneak line so I can hide from the new Adv buff, if I decide to waste perk points on it. And a mimic line that allows us to do a lot of damage without pets or AoE nukes both in and out of PvP, I'd be happy to use that, in almost every situation instead of mimic doc.

Yeah, I've always liked the idea of re-concealing as well. Re-conceal and insta-switchable mimic would make things very interesting indeed.

Blackmesa
    220/30/68 Clan Agent

ja

Not sure what you're saying beyond that, we can get better designs?

It's seems reasonable that healing-professions get less dd, here it will be conflict of intrest. I think we would see a lot of nano-init, nano-cost and nano-resist instead of a dd-repetoir. Two diferent directions pulling the threads.

My solution is more damage (than current) when not doc, better heals (than current) when doc.

I think many of those who who ponder to come back or not are anti-ch. Hope something clever is implemented
    Last edited by leetlover; Jun 12th, 2009 at 20:11:46.

Because I could easily learn to live without it in exchange for some profession upgrades.

The FP line is flawed. It's cool, but it's flawed. It is flawed in the sense that FunCom doesn't see fit to gives us anything useful related to it. We can't get quest nanos, we barely get some lol-ish SL buffs that have occasional uses, and FunCom won't give us anything that we could actually use because when you bring True Profession into the mix you give CH build agents defense that they don't need.

That's the trick. It's impossible to balance without drastic drastic changes to the FP nanos or give them stupid lock outs or whatever. That's not to say that having CH is bad, but it's limiting the upgrades to the agent profession. Anytime we might get something cool we lose out on it entirely because of CH. We don't lose it because of our agent tools or our Aimed Shot, but because of CH.

So we either need:

1) Steps to develop agents that make it impossible to use CH (i.e. combat nanos that require different mimics)

or

2) Remove CH and put agents in line for some real development of the profession and not our FPs.

I don't have a preference to be honest, either is a good option.

Actually, I might even prefer number 1 since losing CH is a bigger nerf than losing stun procs (i.e. we won't be able to solo or really do anything).
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

Taking complete heal away without replacing it would really suck.

Due to most people being done with LoX content, and the odd hours I tend to play, I had to solo all of Arid rift and most of nevereta canyons, without CH, no way to do that.

Why is it so hard to make a mimic that has the damage potential agents were promised? You can't CH without mimic doc, and its hard to do much of anything solo without it, I don't see how it breaks the game for anyone else

My solution is more damage (than current) when not doc, better heals (than current) when doc.
    Which would also include less damage over time than real Docs when Agents Mimic doc and less healing power than real Docs, when Agents Mimic Docs.

Thanks but I'd rather not see our toolset nerfed.
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

Quote Originally Posted by SultryVoltron View Post
    It's impossible to balance without drastic drastic changes to the FP nanos or give them stupid lock outs or whatever.
    I don't think it would be so drastic, at least not from a coding perspective. Even if it is, there is nothing inherently bad about drastic. I also would rather have some kind of lock-out for these new mimics than a removal of CH.

Blackmesa
    220/30/68 Clan Agent

ja

Quote Originally Posted by Ebondevil View Post
    Which would also include less damage over time than real Docs when Agents Mimic doc and less healing power than real Docs, when Agents Mimic Docs.
    Nah, it depends on how the concept is developed. Don't be so pessimistic.

Or were you making it up?

Quote Originally Posted by Ebondevil View Post
    Thanks but I'd rather not see our toolset nerfed.

Yeah right, so far you been a pretty good advocate for nerfs or neglect to our toolset.

Why not give agents a heal of their own? Say.. half the ammount healed compared to ch but also shorter recharge.

Could possibly solve alot of problems and bump agents alot.

I know, I know.. assassins arent sposed to be able to heal.. But seems to me they do it already. Wouldn't be completely unreasonable if they somehowmanaged to make a heal nano for their own prof after all these years. I mean the dots are already there!

Maybe it would be op though idk. It would mean +800 NR and RS and +250 AR, should you choose to mimic enf. Oh and soem dmg and absorbs as well.. And no vulnerability ti RI.

Nah, it depends on how the concept is developed. Don't be so pessimistic.
    Go check out this thread: I made myself sad today...

Some doctors are already capable of dealing more damage than Agents in extended fights. So, adding on a damage penalty to Mimic doctor would widen the gap further making it a lot easier for Doctors to Out damage Agents, then on top of that while a 65% heal effeciency would be nice, it still wouldn't bring an Agents healing capabilities up to the same level as a doctors.

So what you proposed would mean we'd on average be doing less damage than doctors while still healing worse than doctors

Your suggestion:
    Modify -- Add damage -1546
    Modify -- Add nano-damage - 35%
    Modify -- Heal modifier + 65 % (at 220)
    Would most likely drop agents regular damage down to under 1k per hit, I fail to see how that would not be a nerf.
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

ebon, i can't really see why you're even discussing it...not worth the effort. but good argument nontheless you made there

i personally fail to see why we'd want anything like what leetlover proposed. current state is we fail at staying alive (sorta always did, but just got worse) and fail on kill/alpha power as well (role in game anyone? - this used to be a lot better before 30% and especially before everyone started running around with 20k+ hp). having more healing power doesn't make us live longer since we have nothing but ch to keep us alive (and the main problem with it ain't that 10k isn't enough) aaaaand also doesn't make us better soloers (unless you wanna solo pande or something pretty much everything worth soloing is easily soloable in inf already). crippeling our damage...as you pointed out...will make us somewhat involuntary equal ddwise with those rpers who enjoy beating themselves with chairs.
    Last edited by Xootch; Jun 14th, 2009 at 00:01:51.

Bump for OP, god damn nice post!
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

funny how some people assume agents should have heals in the first place

if you want offense just copy cortez, he's probably one of the rare agents who played his profession as intended imo.

Quote Originally Posted by PooNaGe View Post
    funny how some people assume agents should have heals in the first place

if you want offense just copy cortez, he's probably one of the rare agents who played his profession as intended imo.
    So we're intended to use piercing weapons? Fascinating. Please, tell us all how that is supported by our profession (thus "intended").
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast