Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Games Like Anarchy Online?

Games Like Anarchy Online?

Are there any other RPG or MMORPG's out there with a level/skill system similar to Anarchy Online?
    I have been playing this game for 4 years now and I stopped a few months ago, Just would like a change for a while.
    But WoW and all these other popular games don't have a system similar what-so-ever to AO.
    Twinking,
    customization,
    depth,
    and just pure epeen to be had when getting a level 1 fixer into GA4 :P.
    Well maybe not that far... But you get the point :].
    Any one have any ideas :\?

nothing.
    * Cryborg Nano-Technician - Have a shoulder to cry on!
    Aramlash Fixer - Can't catch me!
    Aramsunat Engineer - 4 Blockers of the Apocalypse

Devil Inside

No games exist that have similar skill and equipment systems.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

This is why people just need to stay here...you won't find anything else out there that compares to the depth AO has. I'm one of 'those' people that's given a shot to most of the new MMO's that have been released the last few years, and have noticed how similarly stale and shallow they all are.
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

I doubt any new (major) games will be similar to AO. After what WoW pulled off, thats the direction everyone (investors...(companies)) is going to go. 8p
    Herk Mad! Herk Crush!!

Main: Herkulease

Alts:
    Toba
    Cosmicmayhem
    Wantsumore
    Blessfu

Shorter grinds, easier ability to get toon into shape = more accessible = more players.

AO is oldschool hardcore, and if you look at all the games out, they're using simpler systems (in terms of gear) because the big population you want to catch is the 14-18 year-old segment who don't have any set loyalties but then turn them into loyalists to your game who'll play the game well into their 20s and beyond. So it's about more fast fingers and results based on that and using toolsets effectively, rather than grinding the toolsets.
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

This is why AO will never die. The skill system is (almost) perfect. Anyone who wants a challenge and be able to use their brain to equip things instead of just grinding to said level and equipping <über item>
    Ofab - Doctor [e]
    Clipfury - Soldier
    R22866281602 - Bureaucrat
    Icey2 - Soldier [deleted]
    First to receive an infraction worth 1337 points.

Bump this thread for Black Atroxes!

Parry and Riposte are really perfect
    So, suck a turd to a point and stab yourself with it!!!

AO's an incredibly simple game hiding behind a daunting skill system.

Took me 4 days to get hooked. And I only came to AO to do something for free during a time when a Submarine crashed into an underwater interwebs main backbone thingy linking Australia to uh... Hong Kong, as I recall. Late March/early April 2006. The entire country's internet that had to pass through those two points was being crammed through one 10Gbit redundancy system for weeks.

AO was unaffected. I should still be tapping away on a mud. Stupid submarine.
    Last edited by egadsrk2; Jan 6th, 2009 at 08:00:44.

Quote Originally Posted by egadsrk2 View Post
    AO's an incredibly simple game hiding behind a daunting skill system.
    Actually you hit the nail on the head with that description. Actual gameplay in AO is fairly straightforward (moreso in PVM but PVP isn't a whole lot more complicated), though getting to actually gear up and optimise your toon is where it's way more complicated than any other game. The most diverse toolsets (that one needs to actively use a lot of different skills) are probably MA and MP - many MMO games play like MAs in AO, most other profs are ridiculously simple by comparison.
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by OfabRk2 View Post
    This is why AO will never die. The skill system is (almost) perfect. Anyone who wants a challenge and be able to use their brain to equip things instead of just grinding to said level and equipping <über item>
    On the contrary, AO is less of a challenge because everyone can equip anything minus a few profession/breed locked items.

Being lvl 49 instead of lvl 50 and not being able to equip an item solely because of that requirement is harder. I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekrofiil View Post
    Being lvl 49 instead of lvl 50 and not being able to equip an item solely because of that requirement is harder. I agree.
    Anyone must agree to that I'm sure.........
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

Quote Originally Posted by Chrys View Post
    Actual gameplay in AO is fairly straightforward .
    That is the only thing I wish would change. Its too straightforward (read simple). I even start to miss AoC combat

AO is a truely unique game, it's sad there's so many people out there that have not tried it. I put a lot of the blame on the lack of marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Medicaid View Post
    AO is a truely unique game, it's sad there's so many people out there that have not tried it. I put a lot of the blame on the lack of marketing.
    ...and the horrible launch that is still tarnishing the reviews major gaming websites gave it upon release.
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Autohead View Post
    ...and the horrible launch that is still tarnishing the reviews major gaming websites gave it upon release.
    and which is still the reviews that shows up when you google for some reviews/info about AO, which is sad.
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    and which is still the reviews that shows up when you google for some reviews/info about AO, which is sad.
    Yeah, that's exactly what I meant! People looking for info on the game before trying it are going to see that crap and run away screaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    Not that the AoC launch gave them anything better to expect (After level 20, anyway...)

Well, Gaute is fired, so no more atrocious launches by FC? One may hope

I guess the only issues I run into people who don't want to try out AO these days are (1) Graphics. I personally don't find them that bad, especially when you consider how damn old the game is. I could do without an engine upgrade, but if it makes it run smoother and attracts these graphic loving junkies, so be it and (2) Grinding. I never played WoW too extensively (few 10 day trials, got to the teens level range at most) and I don't know if their acquiring of good/great endgame equip is any easier, but the way people whine about AO grinding it seems like it.
    Ruffixx, 220/30/66 Omni Opifex Fixer
    Pugilius, 206/30/49 Omni Opifex MA
    Blessedbrawl, 200/0 Omni Froob Opifex MA
    Medor, 199/23/42 Neutral Solitus Doctor
    Vindicius, 189/20/46 Omni Atrox Enforcer
    Evilrilius, 100/10 Omni Nano MP - Foremans Killing Machine

Proud General of Obsidian Order

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast