Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pocketing & the end of hex n00bs (hopefully)

Pocketing & the end of hex n00bs (hopefully)

Thank you AO devs for the "nerf" to kiting the hecklers. Now please do something to borgs too.

Finally, similar to the assist command, please check what level the monster you are attacking is attacking. If the heck is attacking a 220 and you are a 130.

Code:
    Run module check_monster_target 
    Return value targ = 220
    %m level = 130

Return 130 team_range = (94,179)

If team_range (0,x) < targ (0,220) then
      team_bln = false
      set XP gain for this monster = self_level * (200 * ((220/100) *130))
    End if
    Something like that, checking if they are in team range with monster target, if they aren't then they get a modest amout of flat XP.

Edit :

Part of the "Are the in XP range to be in this team?" module can be used + a sort of assist command.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenshie View Post
    ---> Either we need to change how we play and start helping people.
    or
    ---> We need mechanics like this to protect new players.
    Last edited by Jenshie; Dec 7th, 2008 at 12:02:35.
    More Barbie instead of GI Joe game content, please!
    *Yngvild Lothe* ex AO quest designer -- "... So now you just want cheap thrills..." Classic server.
    Role Playing guide
    • Main account = Classic.

Phasefront can go jump in the ... oh wait it is already there!
    (Since openning, I have used the West Gate, Battle Station or NL grid point, twice).
    ALLNEUTS - always helping new players, regardless of faction.
    Neutral, can mean real freedom for you. ||| New year's resolution - stay off these forums. Hope you are happy now.
    Expansions don't enhance the game, they just extend it and make the beginning easier to catch up in order to race frantically at the "front"

Kahava - "... we had a civil community."

I see your quest to become a hermit continues. Too bad if that was ever to happen, you wouldn't stay as such for very long.
    Executing Nano Program: Gift of Assurance. Target has not enough nano controlling units (NCU) left. Swordbreaker: Not enough NCU. O_o Fixichong: FFS Fixichong: ive failed as a fixer Fixichong: i quit

One of the first of those people who put the Infused Dust Brigade Engineer Pistol (2,7k ME/EE making req) + Infused Master Engineer Pistol on the same Engineer before any updates that fixed anything (including the original sync issues inside the DB instance), lolz!11

NOOOOO MY PRECIOUS BORGS!!!!!!!!!
    leave my borgs alone

Thank you AO devs for the "nerf" to kiting the hecklers. Now please do something to borgs too.

Finally, similar to the assist command, please check what level the monster you are attacking is attacking. If the heck is attacking a 220 and you are a 130.

Code:
    Run module check_monster_target 
    Return value targ = 220
    %m level = 130

Return 130 team_range = (94,179)

If team_range (0,x) < targ (0,220) then
      team_bln = false
      set XP gain for this monster = self_level * (200 * ((220/100) *130))
    End if
    Something like that, checking if they are in team range with monster target, if they aren't then they get a modest amout of flat XP.

Bump. Get it in next patch please.
    Neophyte Nerf"Shareida"Batted First Order
    Freshman Jefferey"Bailan2"Ginsberg - Retired
    Shareidah - First Order

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    it's written in the bible.
    Matthew 23:13 "and the trader hath casteth bulk trader at the young age of 14. and it was good. and so he hath an extra 260 comp lit and he hath equippeth better ncu's. and it was good too.
    A Producer's point of view

Will this be applied to all monsters in game?
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Saetos View Post
    Hope so.
    Neophyte Nerf"Shareida"Batted First Order
    Freshman Jefferey"Bailan2"Ginsberg - Retired
    Shareidah - First Order

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    it's written in the bible.
    Matthew 23:13 "and the trader hath casteth bulk trader at the young age of 14. and it was good. and so he hath an extra 260 comp lit and he hath equippeth better ncu's. and it was good too.
    A Producer's point of view

Huge de-bump.
    Don't touch borgs.
    Fastest Contact: Northadvncd "Agptaxi" Bankterminal
    Created: 2005-08-07 The AGP Cancelled: 2012-02-11
    AGPSHADOWMA2202568[P][E] AGPSHADOOMNT2142650[P][E]
    AGPECKOSOL1502049[P] AGPATLASDOC1502023[P]
    JURKENF150207[P][P2] JWRKENF270207 JUURKMP600614[P] HANZELSOL1001028[P]

Ultimately, what ever the AO team decide is best. One thing this could open up is raid XP, since if you have a tank that is 220, everyone in range will get normal encounter XP and (presumably) be doing their share of DPS and healing. All those out of the tanks range will get a fair amount according to their own level.

Yes, this could create a type of kiting opportunity, with 220 docs a 175 enf and a host of 140s all paying their fees. It is just one way it can help toward the possibility.
    *Yngvild Lothe* ex AO quest designer -- "... So now you just want cheap thrills..." Classic server.
    Role Playing guide

(Since openning, I have used the West Gate, Battle Station or NL grid point, twice).
    Neutral, can mean real freedom for you. ||| New year's resolution - stay off these forums. Hope you are happy now.
    Expansions don't enhance the game, they just extend it and make the beginning easier to catch up in order to race frantically at the "front"

Bump for end all code to pocketing.

But, put in a new dungeon after foreman's so you don't have to pocket borgs after totw! (I guess I'm on a kick)
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

No.
    since 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    FYI: Cola burns when it comes out your nose...I now know this because of you.

Too many OH EXPLOITABLEs here.
    Because Race Yalm

pocketing is a bit silly but i think such changes should be done by attitude change, not forced by the devs. but oh well if they're really going to do something about it i certainly don't mind.
    220 Crat, 216 MP, 174 Trader, 165 Shade

Somehow ely hecks are still kiteable
    G.F.B.D.
    --------------------------------------------
    Artyomis has played 800 days 0 hours 0 minutes 0 seconds
    WTB subscription price lowered for eastern europe countries due to current USD/EUR-to-local-currency rates.

Hah, I'm definitely going to run around in Ely on my enf mongoing all day so not a single lowbie gets xp. Brilliant idea, bump!
    Your signature cannot be longer than 2000 characters including BB code markup.

Tons of chars and forum requires me to stop making new alts. :'(

there's a reason for pocket tanks, docs and etc. why? cause there isn't enough ppl at those levels to have full decently equipped teams.

Problem with pocket teams is that they interupt regular peoples gameplay. Some enfo aggros the whole beach and anyone taking a shot at the blob is called 'ks'-er. I think it's some sort of harassment. They could pocket them one by one, but they rather not.

It really takes away any motivation to work on your character. The reason most teams are bad is probably because they end up pocket teams all the time. People did pretty well at ely before pocket teams where invented, why shouldnt they be able to do it now. We got a lot more stuff in the last few years and phatz are far more available.

Please nerf pocket teams/
    Zirkonium 220 Nanomage Engineer - RK2 - Omni
    Mereditche 170 Opifex Agent - RK2 - Omni
    Misfiled 49 Nanomage Enforcer - RK2 - Omni (First! Mongo Smash!)

Because after alt 3 or 4, the grind gets retardedly boring. No one wants to deal with finding teams that could falter after 2 kills because of some hotshot noob mongoing 3 hecks and dying. Pockets aleviate that; and I support them, as long as they don't get in people's way.
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Anayama View Post
    Hah, I'm definitely going to run around in Ely on my enf mongoing all day so not a single lowbie gets xp. Brilliant idea, bump!
    ... and get banned for harrassment? Please, please do that!

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic1 View Post
    there's a reason for pocket tanks, docs and etc. why? cause there isn't enough ppl at those levels to have full decently equipped teams.
    There are plenty of people. I seldom have team less than five players and mostly six in SL. The trouble is the newbs are levelling too fast and don't make enough trips back to sell loot, they are not using back packs as they seldom even know where to get them, if they exist and how to use them. For the first 50 to 100 levels I just levels I just leave my skill menu open and from about level 10 let it automatically add on the skills since the levels are coming that fast.
    Loot that was being ignored, was selling for 7K each at low levels. What do people mean there is no money in SL? So what if the mobs don't give you credits? Go and sell stuff. Get equipment!
    It is totally pathetic when I go somewhere solo to test out a profession, like when I went to cripplers with a level FIFTEEN enforcer that had just fr00b gear on. I did a /list for a team that trained me. Every one of them was over fifteen levels higher. They were dying, I mongo'ed and killed their whole train!
    Because after alt 3 or 4, the grind gets retardedly boring. No one wants to deal with finding teams that could falter after 2 kills because of some hotshot noob mongoing 3 hecks and dying. Pockets aleviate that; and I support them, as long as they don't get in people's way.
    Pockets invite new players or take areas they need for levelling up. Now I understand the intention and it is nice to try including the newbies but as said above, they level too fast and end up under equipped and broke. So I don't see how it is their fault they end up being the lepers of the community when they turn into heck n00bs.

Now either we need to get serious about helping them, say give them 500K - 1M per level that you pocket them through, don't pocket them or start helping the heck n00bs get equipped and learn the game and how to team.

My main character is under equipped too, (by my standards.) Why? Since, I am always fixing your f*** ups! I help as many level < 200 heck n00bs as I can and try to catch them as early in levels as possible (after level 200 they become just too expensive). I have even scripted how and why pocketing and kiting your first character is really bad. That is how many I have to deal with.

Then comes all the sitting and helping them camp some things, all the almost soloing I have to do so they can loot. All the implants I have to run around finding, getting built or designing for them. All the credits and patience of my friends for buffs and TS'ing it cost to get them sorted out. All the teams where my friends get frustrated because we are trying to show the n00bs how to play.

Successes are few but rewarding. You have taught them they have to be level 220 now even after I help them, they usually leave in ~10 levels when they find they don't have the resources or friends to keep up.

Now do you begin to see why I play with the Classic players more? That is where the good players are made and I seldom have to help so extensively and exhaustingly.

or
    ---> We need mechanics like this to protect those players.

The population in this game is drying up and you all keep bleeting, "Why?" Well here is one reason and you are being "so" very helpful in making it worse with your good intentions.
    Last edited by Jenshie; Dec 7th, 2008 at 11:10:30.
    Role Playing guide

The trouble is the newbs are levelling too fast and don't make enough trips back to sell loot, they are not using back packs as they seldom even know where to get them, if they exist and how to use them.
    What planet do you live on that there's a massive influx of noobs who know nothing about backpacks until level 100?

They were dying, I mongo'ed and killed their whole train!
    At level 15 on an enforcer? Either you're exploiting or being pocketed.

So I don't see how it is their fault they end up being the lepers of the community when they turn into heck n00bs.
    By not making the conscious choice to slow down and improve their toons? Reasonably minded people do that, no one is being forced to gain XP against their will by the evil "XP junkies" you think exist.

My main character is under equipped too, (by my standards.) Why? Since, I am always fixing your f*** ups!
    Yes, you sucking is everyone else's fault. Your level 15 enforcer must be wonderfully equipped to fight multiple level 30 mobs.

Then comes all the sitting and helping them camp some things, all the almost soloing I have to do so they can loot. All the implants I have to run around finding, getting built or designing for them. All the credits and patience of my friends for buffs and TS'ing it cost to get them sorted out.
    You make it sound as if you're being forced to do those things, which you aren't. These are the kind of things organizations are supposed to do for their noobs; if it's not being done, it's a problem that has absolutely nothing to do with leveling quickly, and everything to do with being in a ****ty org.

or
    ---> We need mechanics like this to protect those players.
    So pocket tanks are the reason people don't put forth the effort to make friends and equip themselves properly? If you can't become a part of a social network, you probably shouldn't be playing a game that requires it.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying pocket tanks are good or bad; I'm just pointing out that your reasoning is so fundamentally flawed that it invalidates your suggestion.
    Quote Originally Posted by kesh View Post
    I heard black troxes have a huge nothing.
    Berinda: Assault rifle

Wenona: SMG

i dont pocket anyone who I dont know has a 220/15+ main

quick way of sorting through the noobs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast