Thread: Linux AO - Installation Notes

Linux AO - Installation Notes

Recently bought a new laptop from a friend of mine, for $350 - a retail value of $1200 maybe... good deal I must say.
    the only thing wrong with it was that it had Vista (eww!)

so, after installing Kubuntu 7.10 on it (cuz 8.04 was acting funky on it)
    I installed wine, downloaded AO 17.0 installer overnight and I'm posting this to possibly help others who might have patching issues like I did.

1) From a fresh 17.0 install, I copied my AnarchyPatcher.exe to my desktop as backup

2) normal patching went smooth up until 17.5.2-EP1->17.5.3-EP1
    ** AnarchyPatcher.exe threw an error "An unsupported operation was attempted"

3) Noticed that the "Prefs" folder was missing, so I created it and set write permissions to it. - it's VERY important to have the right permissions.

4) deleted the AnarchyPatcher.exe from my "wine drive" and replaced it with my backup from desktop.
    then opened my terminal window, navigated to my AO folder and manualy executed the patch
    xyphos@satellite:~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Funcom/Anarchy\ Online$ wine AnarchyPatcher.exe 17.5.3_EP1

**this managed to patch it to 17.6.0_EP1 - had to recopy my backup AnarchyPatcher.exe because the game launcher automaticaly downloaded the borked version.

5) repeated step 4, with ....Online$ wine AnarchyPatcher.exe 17.6.1_EP1
    **this patched all the way up to 17.7.0_EP1 - had to recopy my backup AnarchyPatcher.exe because the game launcher automaticaly downloaded the borked version.

6) repeated step 4, with ....Online$ wine AnarchyPatcher.exe 17.7.1_EP1
    ** this patched all the way up to 17.8.0_EP1 - had to recopy my backup AnarchyPatcher.exe because the game launcher automaticaly downloaded the borked version.

7) repeated step 4, with ....Online$ wine AnarchyPatcher.exe 17.8.1_EP1
    ** this patched all the way up to 17.9.0_EP1 - had to recopy my backup AnarchyPatcher.exe because the game launcher automaticaly downloaded the borked version.

8) repeated step 4, with ....Online$ wine AnarchyPatcher.exe 17.9.1_EP1

done. AO was FINALLY patched to the latest version.
    (now only if I can only get the game to launch, it crashes - perhaps a rendering device problem)
    "When life knocks you on your butt, you have to get back up and punch it in the face." --DJ Ashval of GSP

Nullified "Bitbucket" Deadcode - 220/25 Neut NanoMage Engi
    Bits10 - 150/14 Clan Opifex Trader

Try running it with cedega rather than wine maybe. That's what I'm doing and it works beautifully.

But thanks for taking it step-by-step. I knew about having to use an old AnarchyPatcher.exe but I never could figure out how to make it work, so I'm still patching on Windows then copying across to my Linux partition.

Also, when running it, run it fullscreen (I seem to remember windowed has some problems though I might be thinking of another game) and preferably on a different desktop to everything else (set up keyboard shortcuts for desktop switching in kcontrol - I use Ctrl+Alt+← and Ctrl+Alt+→ - anyone using gnome probably already has these shortcuts set up, but in KDE it seems you have to do it yourself) since alt-tab doesn't work, at least for me, but desktop-switching does.
    Last edited by Monczeli; Jul 30th, 2008 at 18:16:11.
    Roland "Monczeli" Faoláin - 189/11/42 - Assembly

egadsrk2: I can't recall the last time I played this game with pants on.

i had AO running quite well on wine itself on 8.04 (could NOT get clicksaver running on 8.04 no matter what i tried, clicksaver is all that is keeping me windows bound atm.)

things that i had to do to run AO without a black screen and/or crashing:
    first, set your wine desktop to a defferent resolution than your actuall desktop (i.e. if you run 1600x1200 for your desktop res, use 1280x1024 for wine)
    then, when running AO, set it to run fulscreen in the launcher (will only run at the wine desktop screen res you just set) at the same resolution of your wine desktop.

doing this i had ZERO issues running AO on linux. this is with the default wine version that came pre-installed on 8.04.

granted, i could not get clicksaver running on AO, and i even tried the couple guides in the official AO forums about running clicksaver on linux, but nothing worked. AO, however, worked perfectly... no text issues, no video issues, no nothing.

Can you get Clicksaver to run at all but just not work with AO, or does it not run at all?

I'd still suggest using Cedega, because I'm more confident about Cedega working with the coming graphics update than I am about wine doing so, but we'll see...

i agree about cedega being better in the long run with the new graphics that are coming, but i am JUST worried about getting clicksaver itself to run, let alone working with AO. right now (i followed the clicksaver on linux thread to the letter), i cannot even get it to start up at all. no little yellow spalsh screen, no nothing. the only thing i have not tried was to make sure the permissions are set for execute on the exe, but i shouldnt have to if i just copied it over from my windows drive.

as of right now, the DEFAULT install of ubuntu 8.04 x64-bit DOES NOT work with clicksaver. i have yet to try and download an earlier version of ubuntu to see if that does the trick or not. i HAVE cedega installed, and, it actually runs AO SLOWER on my comp, than with wine. go figure that one out, cause im stumped.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwello View Post
    i agree about cedega being better in the long run with the new graphics that are coming, but i am JUST worried about getting clicksaver itself to run, let alone working with AO. right now (i followed the clicksaver on linux thread to the letter), i cannot even get it to start up at all. no little yellow spalsh screen, no nothing. the only thing i have not tried was to make sure the permissions are set for execute on the exe, but i shouldnt have to if i just copied it over from my windows drive.

as of right now, the DEFAULT install of ubuntu 8.04 x64-bit DOES NOT work with clicksaver. i have yet to try and download an earlier version of ubuntu to see if that does the trick or not. i HAVE cedega installed, and, it actually runs AO SLOWER on my comp, than with wine. go figure that one out, cause im stumped.
    Clicksaver is 32 bit.
    call me crazy, but I think that's where your problem lies.
    perhaps you can install the 32 bit version and try again?
    "When life knocks you on your butt, you have to get back up and punch it in the face." --DJ Ashval of GSP

Gave that today a try, tried to follow that guide (am a complete Linux newbie) and well..found out that i need a workaround for my Vostro Notebook to have sound...well..that was just to much for me...so..gave up and now setting vista up again.

ah well...was worth a try.
    Thorture - 215.17 Enforcer [ Equip ]

*laughs Hysterically*
    Metalynx: 216..... 4 more levels and the server will shut down!

Metalynx: "I seriously hope all the stupid people in the world don't congrigate in one spot, for all the weight of this massive amount of raw idiodicy, might collapse upon itself, creating a Singularity of Ignorant Stupidity, unmatched in strength by any black hole in the universe"

I am having problems installing this on linux, I am on Ubuntu the latest version and Whenever I try to start the patches I get the An unsupported operation was attempted error. I am using WINE, I have tryed using the terminal and I get the same error, I tried replacing the AnarchyPatcher but no luck.

Any advice?

I got a problem ive had Anarchy Online installed for a while its been working fine with an exception of the patcher but here recently it will let me login and as soon as the games about to start up it pulls up a Anarchy Online display error i tried reinstalling it and i get the same error can anyone help?

Quote Originally Posted by Elekdro View Post
    I got a problem ive had Anarchy Online installed for a while its been working fine with an exception of the patcher but here recently it will let me login and as soon as the games about to start up it pulls up a Anarchy Online display error i tried reinstalling it and i get the same error can anyone help?
    you've not provided enough information for us to help you with.
    please post some debugging information.

if you don't know how, usually it's the last few lines displayed after starting up wine or cedega from a terminal window.

Quote Originally Posted by digidevil4 View Post
    I am having problems installing this on linux, I am on Ubuntu the latest version and Whenever I try to start the patches I get the An unsupported operation was attempted error. I am using WINE, I have tryed using the terminal and I get the same error, I tried replacing the AnarchyPatcher but no luck.

Any advice?
    after replaceing the patcher exe, do not start up the AO launcher.
    if you do, the launcher will automatically download yet another bad patcher.

so, from my OP, start at step 1 and follow on through.
    PLEASE NOTE: you must start the installation process from version 17.0.0 in order to get the working copy of the patcher.
    you cannot use the recent 17.9.0 series installation.
    Last edited by Xyphos; Aug 9th, 2008 at 04:56:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Th0rian View Post
    Gave that today a try, tried to follow that guide (am a complete Linux newbie) and well..found out that i need a workaround for my Vostro Notebook to have sound...well..that was just to much for me...so..gave up and now setting vista up again.

ah well...was worth a try.
    dude, Linux is FAR better then Vista.
    I admit, it can be cumbersome to configure sometimes, but once you get it, you'll almost never want to use windows ever again.

Since you're a linux newbie, I suggest that you obtain an old spare computer that you can mess up a few installations on and start learning linux.

imo, everyone needs to get off of that god da*n corporate bandwagon

Quote Originally Posted by Xyphos View Post
    you've not provided enough information for us to help you with.
    please post some debugging information.

if you don't know how, usually it's the last few lines displayed after starting up wine or cedega from a terminal window.
    how do i start it up in terminal.... sorry pretty nub at linux

how do i start it up in terminal.... sorry pretty nub at linux
    Ubuntu Linux uses Gnome for it's desktop environment
    I've not used Gnome in long time, but from what I remember, it's located in your upper left menu bar.

once you find it, click it and you'll see a black box that comes up - simular to windows' "run cmd"

in that box, start either Cedega or Wine and messages will be output to your terminal window for debugging.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyphos View Post
    Ubuntu Linux uses Gnome for it's desktop environment
    I've not used Gnome in long time, but from what I remember, it's located in your upper left menu bar.

once you find it, click it and you'll see a black box that comes up - simular to windows' "run cmd"

in that box, start either Cedega or Wine and messages will be output to your terminal window for debugging.
    no no ive used the terminal multiple times but im unsure of the command to run AO in the terminal someone please help :-(

no no ive used the terminal multiple times but im unsure of the command to run AO in the terminal someone please help :-(
    if you use WINE

$ cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Funcom/Anarchy\ Online
    $ wine Anarchy.exe

if you use Cedega

$ cedega

Dual-logging.

I couldn't get dual-logging to work running both clients in cedega. It would dual-log fine, but I would lose mouse control in one of my clients (the first one to load) - the pointer would still move, but clicks would be registered on the second client, rather than the first.

I got around this (after a lot of messing around with cedega settings then reverting them) by loading one client in cedega and the other in wine. It still has some issues, chief among which is that the first client to load will take a massive performance hit (though the second client to load seems to perform exactly the same as if it were the only client). Most of the other issues seem to be purely cosmetic (for example, if you switch away from the wine client then switch back, your mouse will control the system pointer, with the AO pointer following that around, but that might just be because I've done precisely zero setup on wine for trying to get it to work with AO).

I haven't tried it by loading both clients in wine, but that might work, too.

Edit: Oh, and I used the same client... so...
    $ cd ~/.cedega/Anarchy\ Online/drive_c/Program\ Files/Anarchy\ Online
    $ wine Anarchy.exe

Edit 2: This only seems to work if you load the wine client first. Trying to load a client with wine after loading a client with cedega didn't work for me.
    Last edited by Monczeli; Aug 14th, 2008 at 07:36:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Monczeli View Post
    Dual-logging.

I couldn't get dual-logging to work running both clients in cedega. It would dual-log fine, but I would lose mouse control in one of my clients (the first one to load) - the pointer would still move, but clicks would be registered on the second client, rather than the first.

I got around this (after a lot of messing around with cedega settings then reverting them) by loading one client in cedega and the other in wine. It still has some issues, chief among which is that the first client to load will take a massive performance hit (though the second client to load seems to perform exactly the same as if it were the only client). Most of the other issues seem to be purely cosmetic (for example, if you switch away from the wine client then switch back, your mouse will control the system pointer, with the AO pointer following that around, but that might just be because I've done precisely zero setup on wine for trying to get it to work with AO).

I haven't tried it by loading both clients in wine, but that might work, too.

Edit: Oh, and I used the same client... so...
    $ cd ~/.cedega/Anarchy\ Online/drive_c/Program\ Files/Anarchy\ Online
    $ wine Anarchy.exe

Edit 2: This only seems to work if you load the wine client first. Trying to load a client with wine after loading a client with cedega didn't work for me.

I haven't tried to dual log in linux (don't need to cuz I have a WinXP PC and my Linux Laptop - both controlled by Synergy)

however, have you tried setting up / copy separate installations within cedega, and run each instance on it's own "linux desktop" ?

might work...

ya just have to tell wine to makea new instance if you were to run it normally using something like this

wine Anarchy.exe >/dev/null 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null

try something like this for dual logging ...

WINEPREFIX="/home/$USER/.wine-second" wine explorer /desktop=name,1600x1200 Anarchy.exe >/dev/null 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null

this is describe in the howto or general documentation "somewhere" on the wine homepage don't ask me where . And the piping on the end is just to get rid of the "chatter" i get the feeling it runs smoother that way,..

PS I am not a very pedagogily talented person and i am working on it so please, just ask more questions :=) DS
    Last edited by Senare; Aug 17th, 2008 at 19:46:13.
    Workboy and my equip

Aggroboy
    and my equip

Quote Originally Posted by Pomidor View Post
    History of great experiences during Anarchy Online timeplay:

2001 - I just saw a player!
    2002 - I was in huge battle!
    2003 - I have Made first twink!
    2004 - I have made first quest in Shadowlands
    2005 - I dinged 220
    2006 - Was that an Alien? Holy Mothership...
    2007 - I own my first ql 300 CSS!
    2008 - We did Beast with just 3 guys!
    2009 - Damn, that Xan weapons LoX... erm Rox!
    2010 - Finnaly first character fully geared with all best stuff.
    2011 - Battlestations are so much zerg wars
    2012 - I have made set of twinks for new level ranges, they rocks!
    2013 - I made few 220 characters to level other characters...
    2014 - I saw a player!