Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Newb OCC

Smile More Newb OCC

There simply are not enough ARK to run around as Greeters. In another thread I read how people would like access to the newb channel with their higher level characters.

I think we should have 3 new channels. As soon as the newb asks how to get off the island or uses the teleport, they auto join the corrosponding faction newb channel. Everyone has access to it and can unsubscribe. Some of the benefits:

• New players will get help from the long term players.
    • It would be easier to recruit new people as we know they are new and their faction.
    • We would be helping people specifically in our faction.
    • We should retain more new players this way.
    • People that have played a long time will have to intentionally open the channel, so it should have rather positive ambience.

Oh ... and for the love of Rubi-Ka! Please, please, some how disable posting items to this channel so that it doesn't become one of those darn shopping spam things! (Add stronger flood and repetition controls too.)

*scratches head* I thought we had one, called CLAN/OMNI OOC. Noone really uses such thing at the moment much anyways.... Seems to make sense to me, since this IS a RP game, and if you wanted to ask "newb" questions, the channel denoted "Out Of Character" seems the logical choice.

Guess since I've had all the channels turned off except for guild and vicinity, I might be confused.
    Metalynx: 216..... 4 more levels and the server will shut down!

Metalynx: "I seriously hope all the stupid people in the world don't congrigate in one spot, for all the weight of this massive amount of raw idiodicy, might collapse upon itself, creating a Singularity of Ignorant Stupidity, unmatched in strength by any black hole in the universe"

you can't talk in (or see) normal OOC when you're on newbie island.
    nice idea imo, i have it enabled on my bank toon (she's always on my laptop) and i try helping new players when i notice them asking a question there.
    would be really nice if i could see/answer such questions when i'm on my engi for ex. (i don't always pay attention to my bank toon)

in short: BUMP
    Greetings,

Ellarisa
    Darkellarisa 220/30/70 Engineer equipment pvp // Alien Deaths: 353
    Crazyella 220/30/70 MP equipment // Alien Deaths: 90
    Stabbingella 220/28/67 Shade equipment // Alien Deaths: 45
    Farming alien deaths since 2006!

Quote Originally Posted by Solidstriker View Post
    And Ella said, "Let there be robots," and there were robots. Ella saw that the robots were good, and he separated the light from the dark. Ella called the light "Slayerdroids," and the dark he called "Gladiatorbots." And there was Automations, and there was Warmachines- the second day.

Maybe rename Newbie OOC channels to "Starter Talk", "Players helping Players" or the like and make them available for all levels, or add those as new channels.
    I think OOC would be too flooded with newbie-island talk otherwise.

Bump for a good idea !

Would be kinda sweet if players with too few time to really get into the ARK thing (like me) had better ways to assist actual newcomers.
    They say, the early bird catches the worm.
    However, the second mouse gets the cheese.

OT OOC, at least in the Rome/Trade/Ent area channel is pretty busy, and often contentious. Not really the best channel for helping newbies, although it does happen. Having older players with access to the Newbie OOC to help newer players would be a nice thing, although keeping the random arguments out of it would be a big deal.

Theo
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats.

I have to agree...

OT OOC is not the most friendly place to hang out, especially if you're brand new to the game. I say turn it off by default at x level, but allow players to re-join it if they see fit.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

I love the OT OOC. It reminds me of that 5% gas bar out in the middle of nowhere somewhere, where you could be having a nice drink then all of a sudden have a fight break out.

Quote Originally Posted by gergiskoo View Post
    I love the OT OOC. It reminds me of that 5% gas bar out in the middle of nowhere somewhere, where you could be having a nice drink then all of a sudden have a fight break out.
    You mean the "Beer & Booze" in Hope, as seen in the animated series ?
    Fun place (0% though iirc)
    They say, the early bird catches the worm.
    However, the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellarisa View Post
    you can't talk in (or see) normal OOC when you're on newbie island.
    nice idea imo, i have it enabled on my bank toon (she's always on my laptop) and i try helping new players when i notice them asking a question there.
    would be really nice if i could see/answer such questions when i'm on my engi for ex. (i don't always pay attention to my bank toon)

in short: BUMP
    Greetings,

Ellarisa
    Problem is it would be infected with retards and lackwits who abuse the normal OOC channels. Woudlnt fix anythign other than make even more places that people can vent bile or spew 3rd grade insults at each other.
    Metalynx: 216..... 4 more levels and the server will shut down!

Metalynx: "I seriously hope all the stupid people in the world don't congrigate in one spot, for all the weight of this massive amount of raw idiodicy, might collapse upon itself, creating a Singularity of Ignorant Stupidity, unmatched in strength by any black hole in the universe"

*Bump*

[Newb OT:]
    [Newb Clan:]
    [Newb Neut:]

Edit: We can always hope the 'tards are too lack witted or lazy to figure out how to re-enable that channel. Dare I suggest player moderated channels?
    Last edited by Jenshai; May 27th, 2008 at 08:43:21.

good idea, bump
    Resident of Rimor
    Ranged TL7 Adventurer Jonalethian
    Pewpew TL7 Doctor Mirkka
    Nerfed TL7 Agent Steinberg
    Parked TL7 Traderskiller Jonaleth
    General of the clan Coven of Hunters

Bump

I would so love to create such a channel bot if I had a spare computer to run 24/7, but I only have one
    Forever Neutral/
    Raise your Anarchy Online Morale/Jobe luxury apartment/Off-the-beaten-path AO
    Bored? Do something good

---

I've gone ahead and changed the topic since you are not aware of the number of ARKs who are greeters. Just because folks are asking questions in the channels has no bearing on the number of ARKs.
    Director Bekrowe
    ARK Community Relations
    Public Forums Moderator
    Advisors of Rubi-Ka

:: Social Guidelines ::
    :: Ark Public Website :: Social Events with ARK :: Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry :: ARK Tours :: Join ARK!

I've had multiple accounts over the years and every time I started a new account, the first noobling I had online got a greeter by level 5.

Although I managed to get one to lvl 60 before I had a greeter hah.. may have been a bug but that greeter popping up during an Azture fight was entertaining.

But yeah maybe ark greeters should get access to the noob oocs by default, they could answer questions if they really wanted to.
    Last edited by Bugzybug; Jun 24th, 2008 at 23:04:21.

I've never had a greeter

but i guess that was because i made my two accounts right when the 'froob' offer first started, so can easily understand them being over worked at that time

as for older players helping the newer ones, we don't really need access to the newbie channel to do this, as most (all) of the high level players know where the low level players (for their faction) gather.. as such, just standing around that area and helpign those that request it can make a large difference to their game experience.
    Redadv 220/30
    Proud Member of The Renaissance

Quote Originally Posted by Bugzybug View Post
    I've had multiple accounts over the years and every time I started a new account, the first noobling I had online got a greeter by level 5.

Although I managed to get one to lvl 60 before I had a greeter hah.. may have been a bug but that greeter popping up during an Azture fight was entertaining.

But yeah maybe ark greeters should get access to the noob oocs by default, they could answer questions if they really wanted to.
    I've never had a greeter on 30+ toons... guess im just unlucky or beyond help

Greeters do have access to newb chat iirc. Just not many pay attention to it or have it on.

After spending 5 mins of seeing OOC chat for someone who just got game is enough for them to know that they probly arent gonna ask in their. Don't want to seem nub or get called an idiot noob by a lvl30.

Introducing new channels for new players is going to be a problem. It's already difficult enough for them getting their head around a fairly complex GUI and gameplay even at a basic level, don't make it worse by trying to also have to assist them navigate their way to new channels and understand it all.

I like Adacta's idea of renaming the channel to "Starter Talk" or "New Player Talk", as opposed to assuming everyone actually knowing what OOC stands for, let alone OT OOC.

I would also make it so that if you choose clan or omni, you don't lose access to the neutral starter channel and end up in a faction-specific Newb OOC channel as you do currently.
    ZeePhonz :: 220/30/70 Adventurer
    ZeeMedic :: 220/30/70 Doctor
    ZeeDaKeep :: 220/30/70 Keeper
    Cratscan :: 220/30/70 Bureaucrat
    ZeeStabbie :: 220/30/65 Shade
    ZeeInstein :: 220/21/60 Engineer

President of A.R.S. (Athens Recovery Service)

Whenever I fill out an application, in the part that says "If an emergency, notify:" I put "DOCTOR".

Quote Originally Posted by Zeephonz View Post
    Introducing new channels for new players is going to be a problem. It's already difficult enough for them getting their head around a fairly complex GUI and gameplay even at a basic level, don't make it worse by trying to also have to assist them navigate their way to new channels and understand it all.

I like Adacta's idea of renaming the channel to "Starter Talk" or "New Player Talk", as opposed to assuming everyone actually knowing what OOC stands for, let alone OT OOC.

I would also make it so that if you choose clan or omni, you don't lose access to the neutral starter channel and end up in a faction-specific Newb OOC channel as you do currently.
    thats a good idea, just remove the faction chats, and combine them to one "New Player Chat", however i am not sure if this could work with their current system.. as i believe all the chat channels are automated based on faction.
    Redadv 220/30
    Proud Member of The Renaissance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast