Thread: Dueling Option

Dueling Option

I would like to see the introduction of a 'duel' window, which would be somewhat like the the team window.

After inviting somebody to duel, he would then show up in your 'duel team' (maybe more than two people could be in it at once), and you would be able to engage in combat with him, and him with you, in 75% suppression field or lower, regardless of level or alignment.

There would have to be a duel-exit-waiting-period of a minute or 30 seconds or so to guard against rapid-exit exploitation.

This would appease many of those disappointed when the rules relating to teaming and PvP changed so low levels could no longer fight high levels. That change was needed to simplify combat and make it more fair, but it had the downside of preventing friends from fighting each other for testing purposes. This would be allowed again. The allowing of fighting in 75% is only a secondary suggestion, because fighting with large differences in level before was only possible in PvP areas, though being allowed to duel in 75% would be more convenient, especially for RP purposes. My primary request is that the ability to fight with high level differences on a mutual consent basis be restored.

I see few hitches with implementing this, but I'm not a dev so I couldn't know for sure.

Help me out with your shared thoughts
    -Stexer 'n Sterex

I am adored

Support the addition of non-level-restricted dueling

Type KSA -
    Killer 93%
    Socializer 40%
    Achiever 33%
    Explorer 33%

Altho it might be a lil hard to implement (withouth bugs )

I give it a bump. IMHO it's a very good idea.

It would make it easier to RP without too many regulations.

It would make it easier for friends (or enemys ) to fight a fair fight, withouth being disturbed by ganking griefers.

Over all improvement of the Gameplay and more happy customers
    Banishedsoul 220 Trader on RK2 - [eqp] Proud General of Disciples of Omni-Tek
    Thordek 60 Soldier on RK2 - Twink in Training Visit us at www.disciplesot.org
    Naull 100 Doctor on RK2 - Going for 125 for CH whoring. After that who knows..
    My type is a SAE
    Socializer 86% / Achiever 46% / Explorer 46% / Killer 20%

love the idea

but alot of unhappy title farmers will show up

A suggestion/input I had posted in another thread regarding a /duel command in-game:

Dueling (adapted from the EQ ruleset for dueling)

Create a /duel command which does not restrict PvP interaction in relation to levels--all levels can /duel each other. Consider this more of a roleplay command (where people can settle a score or dispute one-on-one) than it is a PvP command, but obviously, it can be used effectively by both RPer and PvPer alike.

No other players can interfer in any way with two people dueling (can't heal, buff, assist or attack either dueler) if the duel is held outside of a PvP-enabling suppression gas area. A duel can not be initiated if both individuals are in a team together. Titles can not be gained through dueling. XP/SK can be lost (and placed in one's XP/SK pool) through dying in a duel if one does not save prior to the duel.

The winner of the duel is determined by one thing: whomever remains last in the playfield where the duel was initiated--either by not running away and zoning, by not dying, by not going LD or logging off. (A playfield message giving the results of the winner and loser would be a nice touch.)

However, guards will not tolerate this type of behaviour around them and will respond accordingly--if two people think they want to have it out right next to guards in the middle of a city, the guards will attack them (or at least the initiator of the attack). To limit the potential for disruption, it will be impossible to /duel in an area which is 100% suppression gas. This would unfortunately limit some of the RP dueling within some clubs (Rompa's does have a 75% gas area...in the women's bathroom ) but ensure that social environments don't end up being invasive PvP dueling free-for-alls and disrupting the environment. Perhaps make a room in Reets and other clubs 75% gas to accomodate /dueling.

(And don't use the shortcut of /d unless you want people responding to rude and demanding 'newbie beggers' with, "Sure, just type /d to open up the donate window." )
    TRAVEL TO RUBI-KA
    A website providing maps of Rubi-Ka,
    playfields, Whom-Pah & Grid maps,
    in-game maps, and more.

http://travel.to/rubi-ka

Discover Leety Goodness at:
    http://how.to/leet

I'd love to see this implented!
    bump for yous!!
    MP
    Fixer
    Member of Vox Populi
    "The difference between insanity and genius is only measured in success"

Worst idea ever.

Think of tower wars with this added option, it would kill the purpose of Notum Wars.
    ¤ League of Legends - 68WM1 ¤

My PvP policy: If you can't beat 'em, annoy 'em!

Originally posted by Xyboc/Nekrid
    Worst idea ever.

Think of tower wars with this added option, it would kill the purpose of Notum Wars.

... Could you tell me how this would be bad for tower wars?

Only way a duel is to happen if both agree. so if one targets and write /duel the other get a box saying Yes/No...
    Banishedsoul 220 Trader on RK2 - [eqp] Proud General of Disciples of Omni-Tek
    Thordek 60 Soldier on RK2 - Twink in Training Visit us at www.disciplesot.org
    Naull 100 Doctor on RK2 - Going for 125 for CH whoring. After that who knows..
    My type is a SAE
    Socializer 86% / Achiever 46% / Explorer 46% / Killer 20%

Yes... I'm astonished by your lack of explanation, Xyboc. Elaborate, please.
    -Stexer 'n Sterex

I am adored

Type KSA -
    Killer 93%
    Socializer 40%
    Achiever 33%
    Explorer 33%

Great idea, love to see it happen.

And yeah, how would this adversely affect tower wars?

Thank you for your addition, Nepentheia! I did not do much research on other suggestions of this before I posted it... glad to see you have such a well-formulated idea.
    -Stexer 'n Sterex

I am adored

Type KSA -
    Killer 93%
    Socializer 40%
    Achiever 33%
    Explorer 33%

Keep in mind a valid argument against the dueling-in-75% part: It could be said that there should be (as there has always been) a natural risk of being attacked by outside parties during a fight intended to be one on one.

Our main goal should be to change just enough to solve the issue of not being able to engage in mutually consensual combat between players of extreme level difference.
    -Stexer 'n Sterex

I am adored

Type KSA -
    Killer 93%
    Socializer 40%
    Achiever 33%
    Explorer 33%

Lets say myself, and 6 other full teams of 6 clanners "Agree to duel"

Now while we are all in the 'duel team' we simply go out and start smashing an omni base.

But because we're "Duelling" You cant attack us, unless you could be able to attack somone who is 'duelling' in a lowered gas zone. Which will defeat the purpose of this command.

If you want to pvp, pvp.
    If you want to test something, test it on the enemy.
    Dont nerf potentially the only exciting mechanic the game still has.
    Last edited by Kinkstaah; Feb 7th, 2004 at 04:09:12.
    Don't be lonely anymore.

Look at your post, now back at mine. Now back to your post, now back at mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through posts, reading the posts your posts could look like. Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again, my reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

Originally posted by Stexer

Our main goal should be to change just enough to solve the issue of not being able to engage in mutually consensual combat between players of extreme level difference.
    Just be content kicking the asses of people your own level.
    If you want to t ry and beat the odds, level up to 150 and do some real pvp, against a level 220 and see how well you can go.

Don't be lonely anymore.

Look at your post, now back at mine. Now back to your post, now back at mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through posts, reading the posts your posts could look like. Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again, my reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

Triple post: (lol)

Ok, if you wanted to achieve your intended goal stexer, here is a better option to keep nuts like me happy as well as extreme twinks.

If you are say level 3, and have the desire to attack a level 190:

Level 3 hits Q.

Popupbox appears. "ARE YOU SURE? (name) is 190 and will most likely totally wipe the floor with you"

If Level 3 guy clicks yes, he is allowed to attack, AND become attackable for a certain period of time to anyone of the level range (or lower) of the person he/she is attacking. (in this case 150+)

If you're talking about a level 3 and a level 25, the level 3 would become open to be attacked by anyone within the 25's level scope, or lower, (for example a level 12 could attack the level 3)
    Don't be lonely anymore.

This idea is for duelling in 75% area...25% rules wouldn't apply, it's supposed for those people that want to fight without other players trying to gank them if they were in the arena or any 0-5% zone.

I have a few replies to make:

To Kinkstaah's first post:

By dueling in a 25% zone, you would be open to attack as normal. You'd just be able to fight that higher or lower level person, too.

To Kinkstaah's third post:

That would allow exactly what we had before, which allowed loopholes in the system (for example, a level 20 could attack a level 60 without warning using a team). A lower level attacking a higher level does not automatically mean that the higher level would not mind being attacked by the low level. It should be mutually consensual.

To Stone_Hearted:

No. Like I've said a couple times, this idea is for dueling people of much higher or much lower level. Dueling in 75% would get rid of the natural risk of getting ganked in all PvP, and goes against the idea of a 75% zone. It could be fun if implemented and explained in a unique way, but I primarily mean this to be a way for fights to happen that should be possible if both sides want them.
    -Stexer 'n Sterex

I am adored

Type KSA -
    Killer 93%
    Socializer 40%
    Achiever 33%
    Explorer 33%

One needs to think beyond the PvP box, to understand the concept and nature of this idea.

A major point of this idea can be explained by this quote: "Dueling is for roleplayers, PvP is for gamers."

Now, if you've not noticed yet, there is a social expansion pack on the horizon for Anarchy Online. Implimenting a /duel command would fit in beautifully with the more social/roleplay aspects of this game, while ALSO appealing to PvPers...and, it truly allows two people to go up against each other, one-on-one and with full consent, without any outside interference--and regardless of levels. Ever wanted to take on someone who's really pissed you off (be it in-character/roleplaying or out-of-character), but you couldn't because of levels and/or someone else interferring? Well, here's your chance to duke it out and resolve issues one-on-one... which... is the intent and nature of dueling.

Duels would not able to be done in arenas, because everyone is open to attack, same goes for any other area which is not 75% gas. And titles would not be gained nor lost through dueling.
    TRAVEL TO RUBI-KA
    A website providing maps of Rubi-Ka,
    playfields, Whom-Pah & Grid maps,
    in-game maps, and more.

http://travel.to/rubi-ka

Discover Leety Goodness at:
    http://how.to/leet

i think like in WoW, the duel should end when someone would have died, but instead their life is spared and they are left with 1hp. that way you won't be afraid to fight, and you won't have anything to hold you back.