Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Merge

Merge

Merge already, population problems killing the game day by day. I for one wont pay for 2 accounts very much longer at 15 euros a month if you dont do something to increase our possibilities to interact online with other players.

Also, since i came into the subscription rate, it has been some years since the euro = dollars and it is about time to do something about this, the fact that is going on is an insult to the european players which by the looks of it probably is your biggest playerbase.

Today's rate 15 USD = 11.92 Euros

nuff said..
    NO U

Take a deep breath...

Clearly FC is working on it, but they know if they handle it incorrectly, the will alienate a vast number of the population who will rage quit as a result.

For instance, let's take org cities and tower fields for an example... How would you handle that? Do you think for that it will be a simple thing to accomplish? Look at what FC had to do in order to have a mostly orderly transition for RK3 to RK1/2.

There needs to be a balance between quickly and correctly.
    Froobalicious General of Barador Arin.

-- Playing AO for six years, still a nuub gimp, and proud of it!

As you may know, FC's intent is to start a completely new server with clear city plots and unplanted towerfields. City plots will also be a non issue as soon as the new GMS market is out there cause FC's intent is to make every org city instanced.

I'm not saying right this second but they can't hold out much longer, atleast not without throwing a timeframe out there. Give their paying customers peace of mind. We all love this game, but I as a player want to let them know what I am thinking.
    NO U

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Kuyt View Post
    I'm not saying right this second but they can't hold out much longer, atleast not without throwing a timeframe out there. Give their paying customers peace of mind. We all love this game, but I as a player want to let them know what I am thinking.
    Yeah, I hear ya. Thing with a server "merge" (and you are absolutely correct, we're actually technically merging both existing servers into a brand new server and copying everyone's data onto that) is that there is a lot of database magic that has to happen, and a lot that can go wrong. That's the nature of the game.

So lets just say there are substantial technical considerations. This means we need our internal hardware/database experts to allocate a block of free time to be "on call" to immediately respond in case their are issues. Since when we do the merge, server(s) are going to have to be down (and they can't come back up until it's all working, so we have to get it right the first time!) and then the same guys are going to have to be on call for awhile after the new server comes up "just in case." And this is after the time they spend doing the prep-work. We also need a time-frame where we aren't in the middle of a patch. So don't take this as a commitment and it's completely subject to change, but in a best-case scenario we're currently looking at roughly after the summer, sometime in the fall. Needs to happen this year though, but then again keep in mind a lot needs to happen this year
    Last edited by Ilaliya; May 25th, 2012 at 02:49:51.

What about those with 8 chracters on both servers? Will we have 16 slots on new server?
    Facebook
    Idiots are just like slinkies. It makes you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Undercutting View Post
    Bs isn't where the real pvp happens, tis' where the pvmers' go to feel like they've pvped.
    [Zacyx]: i will perma bann u from MR

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingengi View Post
    What about those with 8 chracters on both servers? Will we have 16 slots on new server?
    Still debating what we want to do here to be honest. It's deceptively complex (assuming we ever want to allow character transfers), but fortunately there are a lot of options.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaliya View Post
    ...assuming we ever want to allow character transfers....
    I take this to mean that it hasn't been firmly decided that my existing characters, their research levels, and equipment will move over to the new server. Do I take your meaning correctly, or are you speaking metaphysically?
    Last edited by Gorathon; May 25th, 2012 at 03:32:30. Reason: edit to sound less like a jag.
    Ghosts of Rimor
    Gorastopr 220 MA Doctor :: No pew pew. Thwack thwack.
    Goratinkr TL5 OT Hurler Factotum Engineer :: Bringin' the thunder since 2008.
    Scrubup 100 Bow Doctor :: Will she ever get out of perk reset? Stay tuned!
    Ghosts of Atlantean
    Unda TL7 MA Engineer :: Crying for more crit.
    Measles LVL1 Pistol Doctor :: It takes 2 stims to self the Expertises.

Quote Originally Posted by Le-Quack View Post
    i might be a troll

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingengi View Post
    There's a field on the account page now for number of character slots. And looking at the new login screen, it seems it would fit nicely to put a scrollbar on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    I take this to mean that it hasn't been firmly decided that my existing characters, their research levels, and equipment will move over to the new server. Do I take your meaning correctly, or are you speaking metaphysically?
    I understood it as taking into account the (however remote) possibility that AO might become quite popular (with the graphics update and all, perhaps) so that more servers/realms makes sense again, making paid character transfers between realms an interesting service to provide.
    Hlep gnak!

Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Excuse me, but how the hell did you get that from:
    we're actually technically merging both existing servers into a brand new server and copying everyone's data onto that
    ?

Unless you go "duurrr I think he means account data, but I don't know why because that's entirely seperate from the gameservers, but duurrr"
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Account data is already separated from game and character data. Atleast they could mess up with it to some extent without stopping game...

Deleting existing characters would be suidice ;D And also very much more simple. Just throw in new server and they are done ;D
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Excuse me, but how the hell did you get that from:
    ?
    He didn't get it from the post that _you_ quoted but from this:
    Still debating what we want to do here to be honest. It's deceptively complex (assuming we ever want to allow character transfers), but fortunately there are a lot of options.
    As he qouted in his post.
    For all to read.
    Me? Trouble? No trouble..

As Mae West said: "Never resist temptation, you don't know if you'll get another chance."

Quote Originally Posted by Kahava View Post
    He didn't get it from the post that _you_ quoted but from this:

As he qouted in his post.
    For all to read.
    Don't tell me you can't read either. So you're postulating that there's a reasonable case to be argued to the effect that in the span of typing two posts he comes from "we're going to copy everything" to "we haven't decided if we're going to copy anything at all"? Please, please tell me that you're just trolling.

Now, let me cut it out into cardboard. "Assuming we ever want to allow character transfer" - OK, let's look at that part of the sentence and see how that relates to the rest. "Ever" refers to some indeterminable period into the future, specifically after the merger, because the process of the transfer of all characters, referring the previous post saying that all characters will be transferred, is made deceptively complex BECAUSE of a decision that relates to possible FUTURE features.
    Last edited by Mastablasta; May 25th, 2012 at 14:29:59.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

If this timetable is accurate, it pretty much means the end of RK2.

Excellent ducking regarding the currency question.

Cba to pay for this game any more, been real ya'll. Hope they get their head out of their arse soon.
    NO U

Why dont you just allow free characters transfers across dimensions and allow people to migrate naturally while you work on actual merge.

I give a lot of credit for new team to actually jump on the problem right away , previous managment was too busy making weekly empty promises for 2017 to notice game has became single-player. But merge into one server is a long overdue, some time zones have been dead for literally couple of years.

You managed to delay for so long, it may have reached point when merging might not accomplish anything in the longterm.

Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Why dont you just allow free characters transfers across dimensions and allow people to migrate naturally while you work on actual merge.

I give a lot of credit for new team to actually jump on the problem right away , previous managment was too busy making weekly empty promises for 2017 to notice game has became single-player. But merge into one server is a long overdue, some time zones have been dead for literally couple of years.

You managed to delay for so long, it may have reached point when merging might not accomplish anything in the longterm.
    As a small example.

My Org of 6year+ vets have all but quit which is about 10-15 of us. Seeing more than 5 people on LFT was a treat. And even some of the more resilient players have just gone 'Screw it' and packed up and left.

RK2 is a ghost town, we've been shouting this for years and been told we were wrong for years. Let FC reap what it sowed.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

I know for a reason I'll let them be right when my subscription ends if they wanna keep telling us we're wrong... They can be right...with the loss of another customer.
    I realized it was a mistake to resub the moment I had a lil bit more time to play.
    PvP n' Stuff (more soon™)

Proud President of Mercenaries

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    This is a really good thought. Unfortunately, there is a specific technical problem we need the merge to be able to fully solve, which is why we are setting up a fresh server (that has the "solution") and migrating everyone to that. It's also why the merge absolutely has to happen (and honestly, as soon as practicable for us). Any sort of mass migration of characters to either of the existing servers would exacerbate the problem.

This is a really good thought. Unfortunately, there is a specific technical problem we need the merge to be able to fully solve, which is why we are setting up a fresh server (that has the "solution") and migrating everyone to that. It's also why the merge absolutely has to happen (and honestly, as soon as practicable for us). Any sort of mass migration of characters to either of the existing servers would exacerbate the problem.
    Hogwash. How did you manage to do RK3>RK1/2 transfers? How do you transfer from RK1/2>Test?

Even if this imaginary technical problem existed you have had over 4 years to come up with a solution. That is how long players on RK2 have noticed the declining population. That is how long we have been saying to get preparations ready and you flat out ignored us.

Too little, too late.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast