Thread: Bows?

Bows?

Has any doc tried using a bow at higher levels? I really fancy using one (jus to be different ) - I'm not interested in PvP, and I know I'll never compete with the main damage dealers, so I'm not going to try (kinda feel damage I do atm is a bonus, not really my main job)... I'm MA currently, but can see the advantages of a ranged wep outdoors..

But if it would make me really really gimped, then I'll probably stick with MA... (and hope there are some new bows in SL!)..

Anyone tried it..?
    The nature of monkey is irrepressible.
    Silq ~ Barabajagal ~ Ubik ~ Steampunk ~ Fleshwoman & others

I am doing bow with my doc right now. Level 131 and have been using my 142 Schuyler bow for some time now. Like you said, you can not compete with the main damage dealers, but at least you wont be totally gimped offesively. I am doing a meager 300-400 damage to level 190-200 mobs with approx 800-1000 damage crits.

It does have its advantages, especially since you have been doing MA, you wont have to change your init because bows use physical init. As you mentioned, it gives you some range. Also, you will save IP because you only have to raise one attack skill (bow) and the init that you raise is the only Light Blue init other than NC init. You can also get a higher AR because it is not a split skill, straight bow.

Also has some drawbacks. One is that you will never do as much damage as you would with say a rifle. Another is that since it uses physical init, you will get parried. Not sure how they go about parrying an arrow rather than dodging it, but it happens.

Theres my 2 creds worth, hope it helped.

Cheers for this Lothalin.

I'm only doing around 300-400 damage atm anyway (tho I s'pect that's at a faster rate, and there's brawl in there too..), I can live with the damage you've quoted here.

Didn't realise it uses phys init - even better, as I'd only have to use one ipr to try it out (though I left my Phys Init at around 200 :/). Can i just also ask is Schuyler the best to use in your opinion? Are there 'better' bows that might require an extra skill, say AS..?

Thanks again.
    The nature of monkey is irrepressible.
    Silq ~ Barabajagal ~ Ubik ~ Steampunk ~ Fleshwoman & others

I've been using a 167 Schuyler for about 10 levels, and I'm about to move up to 180. The main problem with the bow is that one, it is VERY IP intensive. Bow is about as dark blue as anything gets. I think it TL4 caps at around 450, and ql180 Schuy has recs of around 850. My attack rating is 700-730ish right now, with Expertise, so I'll need a wrangle and some borrowed dragon sleeves.

The other problem is that it doesn't have any specials, and has a slowish attack speed, which doesn't mix well with healing. No alpha strike, and I generally have to be a bit offensive to fire rapidly, even with 600 physical init.

In all, though, it is more "fun" than running around with a gun. It also gives me the illusion of looking like a MA (I wear a MA suit, for style reasons), so hopefully people won't notice me as much in PvP. Probably just wishful thinking. :-)

In all, it isn't too bad. A ql200 Schuy actually has decent damage output, though not enough to make you a damage dealer, as you say. I can solo orange mobs pretty easily, but it takes a helluva long time to do.

With the 167 with ATR of 720, I hit for 600-1000, usually (averaging 800, at least), and crit for 2100 or so.

Previous to Schuy, I was MA and then Parry Sticks... Schuy outdamages them. The real beyatch is Parry, but I'm sure you're used to that.
    Aleksei "Zagadka" Garcia - Savior, Council Clerk
    Cindi "Razishlyat" Bolieu - Advisor Eternalist

I can pop in and say that bow arrows being parried is classified as a bug and is to be frixed sometime in the future. The Schyler is the best regular bow for PvM, if you are interested in more specials (at the price of a lower clip size) you might want to check out the Pow Bow, or the Joint Clans Exocet II. They should be selfequippable if you triple implant bow and the equip times arent that bad.
    /DaveDread (D.A.V.E.D.R.E.A.D.: Digital Artificial Violence and Exploration Device/Replicant Engineered for Assassination and Destruction mohahaha)

200 Opifex Clanner Gimp - Dinged in Style! (dimached a Virulent Minibull) Finally got my head straight, nothing like a goat helmet to get you in shape again. Oh, and those marks on my forehead (yah, still visible through the helmet, duh)... It was a Motorcycle baby. Really. Ran me over in West Athens while I was working on my tan. Think I look bad? You should see the biker.

There are definately different bows that may require AS. I think that a Limb bow may have the snipe special. Best thing to do is just try rolling a few missions and look at any bows that come up. As far as time, I think that recharge is 2 secs, and attack is about .6-1 sec with 750 Phy init. So you are looking at a 3 second attack cycle, meaning one attack during recharge, its pretty nice. Either way, if you can spare the IPR, try it out, you can always go back.

At LVL 150-170 I tried bows out the sad thing was my attack rating was awful awful. I could get a few good shots in now and again. But most the time I would be hitting fo like 50-100 pts of dmg. My opinion is if your going to raise a weapon skill might as well spending on something that's going to give you some damage output. Bow is an extreamly costy skill to raise for our ip. I wouldn;t recomend you use it you'll only ipr it later. =0/
    ~Pianless2~ Doctor

~Ceraanne~ Crat

Ever feel like your in a herd of turtles running through a cloud of peanut butter?