Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Question (Item transfer to alts)

Newbie Question (Item transfer to alts)

I'm pretty new to Rubi-Ka (or Newbi-Ka, if you will ), in my second (or third maybe?) week.

I keep talking to, or hearing, people that are collecting stuff to pass to their alt or new characters.

How exactly do you go about this?
    DelamekoStone

"Up there, you got the comsats. Raining data... Digitised rich folks, on their way between bodies. Skeins of memory and feeling and thought, packaged up by numbers..."

Rimorian-Clan Adv-Rimor
    Mezakin-Clan Shade-Rimor
    Deadwyler-Clan Meta-Rimor

I assume you know how to collect stuff,s o I cwon't comment on that.

Transfering to an alt, though, is another thing. You need someone to help you. Either a friend/guildie/stranger/a second account you control. Give the items to the other char, log off, log on with your alt, and have the person with your stuff give them back.

If it's valuable stuff, I advice you to use someone you trust.

Thanks for the quick reply.

The logical way it seemed to me was to duplicate your apartment key and then use someone to pass that to your alt (but the key duplicator doesn't work on your apartment key so that threw that theory out).

Well, thanks again. Guess I might seek the aid of some new arrivals with the promise of sexual fav...er, I mean free low QL armour and weapons...
    DelamekoStone

"Up there, you got the comsats. Raining data... Digitised rich folks, on their way between bodies. Skeins of memory and feeling and thought, packaged up by numbers..."

Rimorian-Clan Adv-Rimor
    Mezakin-Clan Shade-Rimor

most people will gladly help you for free..
    i've done it a couple of time when i was idle or waiting for my
    wife to finish her sales.. there's no general rules to say if you
    could trust s/o or not..

There's some well-known guildies whose members will be
    trustable (or they will face consequences i bet), but non
    guilded guys, are trustable too.. (i'm not in a guild )

i've already transfered high QL (100-200) stuff and 4M creds
    from a level 200 guy to his/her alt.. i've never see so much money
    in my account since those few minutes lol

tijup..
    Trounevis the funny fat engy. Tradeskill and gimp since day-1. (Supreme Creator)
    Grattepapela Please, fill this form first. <Bureaucrat, 201, Retired>
    Yamamotokekc Warp-Line Inc. for CoH Services.
    Pikouseuse Mediiiiiiiiiic !!!!

To my knowledge, there is no way to transfer something except by passing it to others. In the long distant past, you could put something on the ground and let your alt (or someone else) pick it up. Things were changed, though, so that anything placed on the ground remembers who put it there and won't let anyone else pick it up.
    Heals - they're not just for tradeskills anymore
    Hypos omni doc RK2 <-- stupid enough to have thought that going past level 150 would help her be a better doc
    Phlair omni mp RK2 solo char
    Nerfbat omni enf RK2 awarded the hammer of braveness
    Shadow Ops

Originally posted by Delameko Stone
    Thanks for the quick reply.

The logical way it seemed to me was to duplicate your apartment key and then use someone to pass that to your alt (but the key duplicator doesn't work on your apartment key so that threw that theory out).

Well, thanks again. Guess I might seek the aid of some new arrivals with the promise of sexual fav...er, I mean free low QL armour and weapons...
    I strongly recommend against seeking someone "new". Many times, "new" people aren't. And people who truly are new won't have a clue what you are asking them to do.

My suggestion is seeking out someone who is much higher level than your main. Most of what you would be transferring would likely be worthless to them anyway.

You might also ask people from well-known guilds. Most well-know/respected guilds won't stand for a member ripping off someone else in a transfer.

Finally, there are some bugs in the trade window which prevents some traded items from appearing until the user "zones". Credits can also appear to "disappear" if you're not careful. Nothing is worse than someone thinking the other is a thief.

I also confirm what is in containers before I accept the trade. I've seen people trade the wrong container, insist some foul play was involved, only to discover the container they thought they traded still in their bank or something.

On a side note, apartments are supposed to be MUCH improved in Shadowlands. What you initially suggested may well be a possibility when Shadowlands is released.

-Vepr

I drop stuff in bag on ground and pick the items from bag with the alt, but you have to be quick or bag with items decay and gm's will not give it back, so it is a certain risk involved.
    Rimor Server
    Robotgubben lvl 173/14/29 engineer

I have advised several times to visit the superior shops.

When I need a transfer and no one I know is on, I just go to the shops and pick out a guilded high level player who always has been more then happy to help me.

I would suggest though to take up as little time as possible to the person you are asking, make sure both of the characters are already situated in the same shop
    *la la land*
    FIRST ORDER 4 evah!

Re

An even longer time ago, you could log on your account twice from the smae computer, run it in windows, and transfer between your own chars.
    Remember patch 12.6...!

Lots of great info.

Makes more sense to me know to find a high level player, less chance they'll want to steal my belongings if nothing else.

And I realised a second flaw in the apartment key trading thing, I've got two Omni characters and they both have the same apartment (in the same backyard and everything). If one of them had keys to both, how would they know which they were entering... I guess that's why Funcom don't allow apartment key duplication...

I hope apartments are better in Shadowlands... they really are underused.
    DelamekoStone

Rimorian-Clan Adv-Rimor
    Mezakin-Clan Shade-Rimor

Edit - 2004 August AI Launch

Concerning the process which you can transfer items and money to your alternate character WITHOUT any help from anybody, a big improvement was found.

Traditionally, there is a particular way of opening two clients simultaneously as follows:

The easiest way is to simply do this, double-click the AO icon and then click yes to the eula, NOW, quickly double-click the AO icon again BEFORE the first client finishes reading the 49 files. If you do this in time, then the clients will share system resources evenly and both will respond to the connection port, and so the server requests.

You should have two clients loaded now. Go to first client, type the info and proceed to the character selection screen. STOP! Go to second client, type the info and proceed to the character selection too. Now, click log in and IMMEDIATELY go back to first client and click log in too. Either of the clients will ask something like "Do you want to open two AO instances?". Of course, you click yes.

Sidenote: You cannot open the second client if the first one is fully loaded. This is because AO checks whether the client is in the computer memory so you have to be quick before the check is done.

But after Alien Invasion, it seems that the client has been changed in a certain ways. To simplify that, you do NOT need to take care the sequence of opening two clients. You simply double-click the client whenever you want to use a second account.

i.e.
    1 Open 1st account and log in and start playing
    2 Open 2nd account and log in and play (Yes, this step is possible now)
    3 Close 1st account and Open 3rd account (Again, this is no problem)

However, the game clients do not know how to distribute system resouces (memory usage). As a result, only the first client will use an appropriate amount of resources. You should feel laggy, graphically laggy in second or third clients.
    Last edited by Conrad; Sep 3rd, 2004 at 19:52:46.

seems like alot of work to me
    Pre-14.6 Freshman Boycott "Toolboxau" Canada - Legend 200 - Unit Member of Reborn - Proud American and Proud Conservative

ChanOP in FC's offical #anarchyonline; visit irc.funcom.com

Some say this country's just out looking for a fight
    Well after 9/11 man I'd have to say that's right
    Have you forgetten?

Originally posted by mgbkurtz
    seems like alot of work to me
    Sounds like way too much work for me

Why not just make a friend?
    Kissysuzuki 220 - 24 - 60/70
    Minisuzuki 205 - 9 - 13/70
    Riders of the Lost Org

"Enforcers are being nibbled to death"

Cool

Let me just remind you all that, logging in with two characters on the SAME account is an exploit...

Do it and face the consequenses...

Just a friendly reminder

Did all people forget to read the post before typing the reply?

There are a few steps teaching you how to create the SECOND account.

Suzuki: Then why not just buy another account and also computer. Much faster than getting a friend
    Last edited by Conrad; Aug 8th, 2003 at 11:03:24.

Tranferring items to your alternates WITHOUT help from others, click -=[ here ]=-.
    Join the discussion of New Content: Alien mission and Abduction

Originally posted by Conrad
    Did all people forget to read the post before typing the reply?

There are a few steps teaching you how to create the SECOND account.

Suzuki: Then why not just buy another account and also computer. Much faster than getting a friend
    because this is a MMOrpg, meaning there's a ton of people around, and you might as well get to know some of them. If not, you could just as well be playing a single-player game (diablo II?)

Originally posted by Conrad

That is perhaps the saddest thing I have ever read!
    Kissysuzuki 220 - 24 - 60/70
    Minisuzuki 205 - 9 - 13/70
    Riders of the Lost Org

"Enforcers are being nibbled to death"

some people are just anti-social. no one's talking about relying on your friends all the time for every little thing you could do yourself. it's just a small favor to ask of someone for every blue moon.

Shared bank slots for an account's alts.

Why not just go into Game Suggestions and offer to FC some ideas for a mechanism to allow swapping money and items between the alts of an account?

After all, there is nothing inherently wrong with such transfers, since they are performed all the time via third parties. Furthermore, FC might well look very favorably on such an idea since it would relieve the petition system of the burden of dealing with transfer scams, so it would work in their interest in that respect.

It's pretty easy to come up with workable schemes for this. For example, Shift-RightClick on a bank could bring up the shared bank slots for an account, accessible by all the account's alts. This may in fact be the answer to the huge problem of bank overflow as a result of the influx of new SL items, so it could kill two birds with the same stone.
    Whoever designed the Jobe luxury apartments, could I hire you please? :-)

Shared bank for 1 account..
    that would be soo neat..if it were also a little bigger

I`ve never had problems transferring stuff to alts, but i mostly do it in-guild (or in-alliance as it is).

and bags are tricky...
    Jabbestryne - Clan Enforcer RK1 - Stuff
    Member of Uprising

Defender rank: Competent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast