Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi, I am a newb and need help

Hi, I am a newb and need help

I rolled an MA (its trox), I am not 100% sure why since I am not too thrilled about alts and stuff. But I am looking for some help and I couldn't find it in the stickies.

Can someone explain to me the importance of the Martial Arts skill on damage while using fists? To my understanding, fists dont have a MBS so the more you raise MA skill the more damage you do, how significant is this damage? Or am I wrong?

I am aiming this MA for a PvM tanking setup. I am curious on how high an MA can get its defense rating without any perk actions. I know it will be high, but I am just curious as to how high.

I want to persue the highest amount of damage without sacrificing survivability. So what kind of weapons should I be leaning towards? Duel shens? 1 shen 1 fire fist? Any tips on gear to reach such a feet?

Thank you for your time and I will post more questions as I go.

First of all, thumbs up for the trox MA

Anyway, what do you mean by PvM tanking setup? Do you want to go solo or tank in team situations?

Dual shens are the best overall, since you'll have 2 weapons equipped and a third which could be called your leg or whatever. Raising the MA skill is beneficial, although the sticks have MBS, your third weapon doesnt, and it'll count for every hit you land. AOMainframe had the MA templates, don't know if Auno does, those you might want to check it out just for to seethe actual limits when you reach a new template.

You're question about the def rating is kinda.. relative. At least I've never tried going completely def, someone else might know the answer.
    Vamzer 220/24 Martial Artist
    Doomed Lover 215/20 Keeper
    Novas 165/9 Nano Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Perfekt View Post
    You do understand that you just showed everyone that you don't have a correct perspective on the matter, right?

myself at the moment im a opi (for extra evades), lvl 166 ive maxed ALL def (except duck, its 3/4) i have hit cap for tl, but im just over 1.1k (avg to gimp setup) with perks its totally diff over 2.2k and also hit the ma upon a wave and its WELL over 2.5 i havent looked at it while i hit uws but i resist most nanites/drains

and as far as ma skill/brawl/dimach ive maxed those also, normal hit anywhere between 900-1.4k, crits are usually 3k-4k, im not the perfect specimen but i do ok at pvm solo...there are tons that do WAY better dmg, as far as i know, get you a nice ai scope on for +crit it does wonders

and im aiming to dual shens myself
    Last edited by styles999; Dec 29th, 2008 at 15:28:52.
    Styles9999<220/21/50 MA-Main-
    Proud member of Obsidian Order!
    All accounts closed as of 04-28-10

Quote Originally Posted by Rubyzero View Post
    I rolled an MA (its trox), I am not 100% sure why since I am not too thrilled about alts and stuff. But I am looking for some help and I couldn't find it in the stickies.

Can someone explain to me the importance of the Martial Arts skill on damage while using fists? To my understanding, fists dont have a MBS so the more you raise MA skill the more damage you do, how significant is this damage? Or am I wrong?

I am aiming this MA for a PvM tanking setup. I am curious on how high an MA can get its defense rating without any perk actions. I know it will be high, but I am just curious as to how high.

I want to persue the highest amount of damage without sacrificing survivability. So what kind of weapons should I be leaning towards? Duel shens? 1 shen 1 fire fist? Any tips on gear to reach such a feet?

Thank you for your time and I will post more questions as I go.
    MA skill has a double effect on your damage, the normal ar -> damage multiplier effect, and the fact that your martial arts skill determines your weapon. Ao mainframe had a great tool, gave min-max (crit) and charge/recharge, havent found a replacement for that yet. Thats why for a long time it was stupid hard to find anything that would let a MA boost their MA skill very much, funcom kept the skill down to control MA damage. At tl4-5, a new ma that doesnt twink hard will be hitting 500ish, 2k crits, a decent twink job will yield 1-1.5k hits with 4k crits, and a finished twink will crit for almost 5k when he pushes his ma skill up with moonmist and a trader, for example. Thats why MAs should look for crit %, ma skill, and evades, and don't worry about much else.

The one drawback to MA fist at all levels is its a damn slow weapon, combined with a critscope. Hard to stay very defensive, unlike the rest of the fixer/shade/enf/sold tank crowd, who can get at least close to full def with some 1/1 weapons at tl4-5. We make up for that with great evades #'s.

Defensive rating can be insane very early, my current s10 ma gets the following, and hes not done (still need to wear slippers and only 3 perks in our ai evade perkline.
    1350 evade (dodge and duck a bit lower, saved some ip) + 350 aad from passive perks, gear, symbs, net 1700 buffed.
    perking gives 1900 minimum evade+aad, 2500 2/3 of the time, and a bit over 3k when Im desperate. Im sure a tl7 MA would add 1k to those numbers without trying.

Get the le proc debilitating strike asap, its a 19% crit buff. Get your self 24% buff, adonis brain, pred hat, goc/igocs if youre rich, and a good scope, crits are good damage, normal hits are nothing special.

As for weapons, Id kill for a tl5 version of the shen stick, get a pair and get them on asap. Minimum damage mobs suck when you dont crit, shens make up for that with plenty of extra hits, which do 2k+ even noncrit.

Quote Originally Posted by Vamzer View Post
    AOMainframe had the MA templates, don't know if Auno does
    Of course it does !

QL / MA 'weapon' (at what MA skill you have that weapon)
    001 Martial Arts Item (1)
    100 Martial Arts Item (200)
    500 Martial Arts Item (1000)
    001 Martial Arts Item (1001)
    500 Martial Arts Item (2000)
    001 Martial Arts Item (2001)
    500 Martial Arts Item (3000)

(shades got a different template, and all other profs got a 3rd template)
    •••••••• zDD - a Damage/HEALS/Tanks/XP parser ••••••••
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlain View Post
    yea...the best way to fix messed up game mechanics is by giving up item slots for new 'bug fix items'...like I said before, next we'll get the Staff of Pet Pathing and perhaps an Anti-LD Ring and how about some pants that make it so I don't get forced to autoface my opponent after casting a nano when I'm trying to run away...Combined Developer's Wear of Autoface Resistance, and maybe some new symbs with broken quest resistance, oh, and how could I forget the upgrade to the scuba gear that adds Rubberbanding Resistance...

So, what kind of armor would be best for the kind of MA I am looking to make? I was thinking CM in some slots and a Dchest. I have noticed that some MAs wear the lamindae gloves (or however it is spelled) and I always wondered why and was curious why they just didn't get CM.

So, what kind of armor would be best for the kind of MA I am looking to make? I was thinking CM in some slots and a Dchest. I have noticed that some MAs wear the lamindae gloves (or however it is spelled) and I always wondered why and was curious why they just didn't get CM.
    Simple because it doesn't cost you creds. Well, kinda.
    Vamzer 220/24 Martial Artist
    Doomed Lover 215/20 Keeper
    Novas 165/9 Nano Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Perfekt View Post
    You do understand that you just showed everyone that you don't have a correct perspective on the matter, right?

[QUOTE=CriticalDmg;5388963]Of course it does !

QL / MA 'weapon' (at what MA skill you have that weapon)
    001 Martial Arts Item (1)
    100 Martial Arts Item (200)
    500 Martial Arts Item (1000)
    001 Martial Arts Item (1001)
    500 Martial Arts Item (2000)
    001 Martial Arts Item (2001)
    500 Martial Arts Item (3000)

If I understood correctly 001 Martial Arts Item (2001) is our MA fist at 220... I have around 2.7k MA skill... 3,2k AR... with the Auno calculator, I make 12k crits... that doesn't seem too right. I can be wrong tho (I set 0 AC as Leets in BY have about that).

Mind enlight me? I'd like to see what my real weapon is hehe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brucelee2003 View Post
    If someone thinks he can win by dirty tricks - he totally wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrys View Post
    Damn nazis
    Edit: No Annarina we're not talking about you this time...

Even MAs is affected by the post 1k AR nerf, so typing 3.2k AR in the calcs will make a way off dmg picture. Afaik 3.2k is about 1450 AR in the auno calc, but its been a while since I spent most my days on auno/aomainframe and dozen other 3rd party progs for calcing and making setups.

EDIT: The weapon you would be using with 2700 MA skill, is a ql 350 2001-3000 MA weapon, doing about 17k crits if you used 3.2k AR. And about 8k if you used 1450 AR. Since there is no template for ppl with 3k+ MA skill, you would be using the ql 500 2001-3000 MA weapon, with just higher AR since no MBS (not sure there is too many MAs walking about with 3k+ MA skill tho). MA skill sets the QL, AR sets the AR you put in calc (adjusted after the elusive post 1k AR nerf formula).
    Go crit a leet, subtract every piece of +damage gear and see where your at.
    Last edited by Valhallur; Jan 3rd, 2009 at 23:12:31.

Well, using the Base skill and therefore using a lower fist gives me about the right number, don't know if it's relevant or just a coincidence. Sorry for polluating your post, Ruby, I shall behave now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brucelee2003 View Post
    If someone thinks he can win by dirty tricks - he totally wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrys View Post
    Damn nazis
    Edit: No Annarina we're not talking about you this time...

I really dont understand the MA template.

Actually every half decent ma has 3k+ ma skill with moonmist up and when teaming with trader
    j00 r0xx0r, Sneakzy!
    You last visited: Jan 1st, 1970 at 00:00:00

________

Daffyduck 220/18 Kippur

Sneakzy 216/20 Agent (Retired)

I really dont understand the MA template.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neccoz View Post
    with the Auno calculator, I make 12k crits... that doesn't seem too right. I can be wrong tho
    Mind enlight me? I'd like to see what my real weapon is hehe.
    Auno's calculator is not 100% correct on it's calculation (far from it really), same goes for the calculator that was on aomainframe & the calculator that Rayne made, they are all approximations of the final number. Till FC shows us the code or explains how exactly AR works noone can tell you the final number (although some come pretty close), some even say it's profession dependent too.
    (I've never seem any of them calculate the exact number with any weapon tbh, some were very close some where really far off)

Let me try explaining it again, this is the basic template:Now...

If you have between 1 & 200 pure MA skill (not AR!), lets say 196, how do you find your weapon ? Here's how :
    Your MA skill is above 1 but below 200 (the numbers in parenthesis) so your weapon template is the lower one of the two - "Martial Arts Item (1)".
    Now to get the ql : 196/2 = 98
    So with 196 pure MA skill your weapon would be a ql98 "Martial Arts Item (1)"

If you have between 1001 & 2000 pure MA skill (not AR!), lets say 1700, how do you find your weapon ? Here's how :
    Your MA skill is above 1001 but below 2000 (the numbers in parenthesis) so your weapon template is the lower one of the two - "Martial Arts Item (1001)".
    Now to get the ql (ignore the thousands): (1700 becomes just 700) 700/2 = 350
    So with 1700 pure MA skill your weapon would be a ql350 "Martial Arts Item (1001)"

If you have between 2001 & 3000 pure MA skill (not AR!), lets say 2800, how do you find your weapon ? Here's how :
    Your MA skill is above 2001 but below 3000 (the numbers in parenthesis) so your weapon template is the lower one of the two - "Martial Arts Item (2001)".
    Now to get the ql (ignore the thousands): (2800 becomes just 800) 800/2 = 400
    So with 2800 pure MA skill your weapon would be a ql400 "Martial Arts Item (2001)"

There's a lack if interpolation on Auno (& aomainframe too) for some items, unfortunately the lower 2 MA templates are included in that list... so you can't just jump to the "Martial Arts Item (1)" and check it out there, but the rest are there.

There's also a way to show them ingame, using scripts. Here's an example how to show a "Martial Arts Item (2001)" with 2800 pure MA skill.

Go to your scripts folder and make a script using any text editor (notepad is fine), name it what you want, lets say... "ma2k" (without the quotes) & copy/paste this inside:
    Code:
    %2 %3 Martial Artists have this <a href="itemref://211363/211364/%1">Martial Arts 'Weapon'</a> with 2000+(2*%1) MA skill.
    Save the file and type this (in yellow) ingame:
    /ma2k 400 /text (to show it only to yourself)
    or /ma2k 400 / or /ma2k 400 /v (both to vicinity)
    or /ma2k 400 /o (to org chat)
    or /ma2k 400 /tell helpbot (to send a /tell to helpbot with it )

All of these will create a link to the "Martial Arts Item (2001)" looking like this (sent org chat in this case):
    [My org name] Myname: Martial Artists have this Martial Arts 'Weapon' with 2000+(2*400) MA skill.

Note that the script can accept up to 3 variables:
    the 1st one is always the QL of the MA item
    the 2nd & 3rd can be whatever you want or skipped altogether.
    [if you don't know how scripts work just set the QL & ignore the rest (leave them blank)]
    yea...the best way to fix messed up game mechanics is by giving up item slots for new 'bug fix items'...like I said before, next we'll get the Staff of Pet Pathing and perhaps an Anti-LD Ring and how about some pants that make it so I don't get forced to autoface my opponent after casting a nano when I'm trying to run away...Combined Developer's Wear of Autoface Resistance, and maybe some new symbs with broken quest resistance, oh, and how could I forget the upgrade to the scuba gear that adds Rubberbanding Resistance...

that doesnt seem right at ALL

my MA was doing 5k crits with 1.4kish MA skill..

it's the weap damage.
    A weapon with 149-615(532) and 1.4k AR:

Your critical hit will be 5121 points.
    Your normal hits will vary between 671 and 2768 points.

http://auno.org/ao/dmg.php?name=&low...ef=100&bonus=0

Quote Originally Posted by Romaas View Post
    that doesnt seem right at ALL

my MA was doing 5k crits with 1.4kish MA skill..
    Using the formula that I've wrote a few posts up :
    1400 pure MA skill makes a ql200 Martial Arts Item (1001).
    Meaning it has this weapon template: 136-560 (525)

Using Auno's calculator & these figures:
    lets say around 200 +add damage on a 0 ACs mob & lets say you have around 1500 AR (you always got more AR then MA skill with symbs/token board/whatnot)
    You'll get this from Auno : http://auno.org/ao/dmg.php?name=Mart...=100&bonus=200

Your critical hit will be 5354 points.
    Your normal hits will vary between 846 and 2860 points.

That looks like 5k-ish crits to me (although again - it's not 100% accurate).

p.s. Accomplice, in your calc, you posted the values for 1522 MA skill & 1400 AR... how often do you get more MA skill then AR in PvM situations ?

ya I know ... only meant to point out that weap damage (like on any normal weap) is not final damage after AR calculations... ><

rule of thumb for the auno dmg calc is:

divde anything above 1k AR by three and add it onto the original 1k AR for a combat profession

divide by 6 if it is a support profession

say you have 2800 AR in game. In the calc you would do this:

2800-1000= 1800

1800/3= 600

1000+600=1600 AUNO AR

for support professions it would be 1800/6= 300

1000+300= 1300 AUNO AR

Does AAO affect MA damage or the MA template? Or does it not do anything except help you perk targets in PvP?

And thanks for explaining it better crtical.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast