Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for clicksaver replacement

Looking for clicksaver replacement

Even after I visited this thread (http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=556425) I still get 'failed to create local database.' When I click skip I get 'Couldn't open local database.' This could be a vista issue, but I'd really just like to replace it with a program that does the same thing. Any suggestions?

You could look up MishBuddy. I've never used it personally but some people seem to prefer it.
    Reetzor 150/9

http://arpa3.net/ao/clicksaver.html works for me currently.
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

Quote Originally Posted by eroz_c View Post
    http://arpa3.net/ao/clicksaver.html works for me currently.
    Thanks, this worked.

@reetzor, I'll check out mishbuddy. Cheers!

Mish buddy seems to work well for me. I shoudl add that some people have mentioned they don't trust it, but I've found no reason to worry at all.
    T O O N Z:
    Renamed (jeycihn) 220/30(so sexy, so Borealis...I miss it the most...still melee <3 thnx for all your help Scum!
    Giit 200/30 NM NT(THE most dangerous, and bitchy thing I ever created)
    Sixunder 158/21 NM Tra (158+SMG=Atomic bomb? Feather pillow? meh, depends on what mood she's in oO)
    Eightup 158/21 Opi Fix (perfect, maxed twink, definitive "FUN")
    Xerrrox 17X Opi Fix (GA4 fr00b...buff prostitute...reason to log in)
    Enjey 60/6 NM Eng (high maintenance OP'ness)
    Nanimated New NM Agent (no patience for it...sigh)
    Somethiing 200 Atrox Sold (potential x1k...not nearly enough "give a f*ck")
    P A R A D I S E ~&~ P A R A S I T E ~&~ B R O K E N ~&~ CCI ~&~ NOTHING PERSONAL

Quote Originally Posted by RedWatr View Post
    Mish buddy seems to work well for me. I shoudl add that some people have mentioned they don't trust it, but I've found no reason to worry at all.
    People used to say not to trust clicksaver too ^_^.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakrima View Post
    People used to say not to trust clicksaver too ^_^.
    they say not to trust the version of clicksaver that doesnt come with the source code.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    they say not to trust the version of clicksaver that doesnt come with the source code.
    "They" would be smart to do so.
    Trixie "Tryqz" Rhaiyne, Newland Council Science Minister

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    It's dodgy either way how he refuses to hand out the source despite the original author confirming CS was released under GPL.
    It makes me wonder what he's hiding.
    Especially considering most AO related apps are still alive due to the very fact they were open source.
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

I would never trust the ClickSaver version from arpa3.net given that the source is not provided, even upon request which is in breach of the license ClickSaver was released under originally.
    Lord "Khalem" Trevallien -=- Fixer Kingpin, proud officer and Loremaster of Ancarim Iron Legion
    Sir "Eoemar" Trevallien -=- Supreme Creator
    http://ao.shadow-realm.org/ - The Shadowlands Library -=- http://ai.shadow-realm.org/ - The Alien Invation library
    http://bebot.shadow-realm.org/ - BeBot - An Anarchy Online Chat Automaton
    http://aodevs.com/ - Anarchy Online 3rd party developers resource

"Frustration is not a good emotion when it comes to playing games."
    -- Former AO Game Director Marius Enge

Even having the source code doesn't mean you can trust the binary unless you read the code and compile it yourself... But not many are paranoid enough to do that I believe.

Anyway, as it is real easy to get Anarchy Online username and password as both are provided to client.exe on command line, thus readable by any program, I wouldn't trust stuff that you need to run while AO is open and can't see and compile yourself what it does.

As of arpa3 site... well, I just stopped using it long time ago for many reasons that annoyed me already...

Wonder how hard it would be to create ClickSaver from scratch... Biggest problem would likely be grabbing data from AO itself, there's already some source around for database extraction.
    Mireiawen Rose, 215/30/70 neut fixer, setup RK2
    Mireiwen Rose, 220/27/62 neut MA trader/tradeskiller, setup RK2
    Miraiwen Rose, 220/30/70 neut SMG soldier, setup RK2
    Miraeawen Rose, 220/27/70 neut MP, setup RK2
    Mireiaieawen Rose, 220/30/69 neut tank, RK2
    +bunch of others in Rose family...

President of Neutral Warriors | Neutnet mod | Mireiawen.net

Got superior pewpew or nerfbat? But it looks ugly, or you are just plain bored with everyone going around with same? Bump for Weapon Remodeling and get your unique looks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mireiawen View Post
    Wonder how hard it would be to create ClickSaver from scratch...
    Not that hard for people who know thing or two about the way AO works, but without any such knowledge I wouldn't try it :P
    <Means> I always laugh when I have to type "/get sex" when debugging

[Social] Eponyx: I don't drink, yeah it is true. Can you please get that pink moose of the platform. And park the polkadot elephant to reclaim.

Uaintseenme: This is why i love Test sever so Much.
    I can wake up in the morning and think to my self, "Im going to break AO today" and should i managed to do it, I'll get rewarded for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mireiawen View Post
    Wonder how hard it would be to create ClickSaver from scratch... Biggest problem would likely be grabbing data from AO itself, there's already some source around for database extraction.
    The database extraction is the easy part though
    CS hooks into AO which is not a trivial thing to do.
    Luckily, you don't have to create it from scratch, source available at: http://www.ao-universe.com/main.php?...d&action=tools
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    The database extraction is the easy part though
    CS hooks into AO which is not a trivial thing to do.
    Luckily, you don't have to create it from scratch, source available at: http://www.ao-universe.com/main.php?...d&action=tools
    Last I checked, Clicksaver used some (now) proprietary code to hook to AO, and its something I don't entirely like... The old code might work tho, but it might as well be reason for some weird crashes like when running multiple clients while clicksaving.
    Mireiawen Rose, 215/30/70 neut fixer, setup RK2
    Mireiwen Rose, 220/27/62 neut MA trader/tradeskiller, setup RK2
    Miraiwen Rose, 220/30/70 neut SMG soldier, setup RK2
    Miraeawen Rose, 220/27/70 neut MP, setup RK2
    Mireiaieawen Rose, 220/30/69 neut tank, RK2
    +bunch of others in Rose family...

President of Neutral Warriors | Neutnet mod | Mireiawen.net

Got superior pewpew or nerfbat? But it looks ugly, or you are just plain bored with everyone going around with same? Bump for Weapon Remodeling and get your unique looks!

Well count me as one of those that prefers the apra3 clicksaver (Kimi's).

I like the enhancements he has put in the program (as compared to the "original" CS), and I don't have any more of a "trust" issue with it than I have with the many other programs I have on my PC that also do not come with "source".

And like someone else said, unless you download the source yourself and compile the program yourself, then you don't "really" know if the "binary" you downloaded matches what the source is - and unless you pour over that source you don't really know what it does anyways.

I also like the "rollability" section of Kimi's site, and use it quite often.

All that said, I will also agree with those that have issue with Kimi taking an open source program and forking it and then "closing" the source on his fork. I agree that is not a good practice. I don't consider it to be "dodgy" though (inferring "not trustable") - just at odds with "accepted practices" and also that open source "derivatives" should also stay open source. Hopefully some day he will make the source available.

However, in the meantime, I do think that Kimi's Clicksaver is "better" than the original, and will continue to use it.

JMO!

Martek
    Last edited by MartekO; Mar 21st, 2010 at 06:45:02. Reason: typo correction

Thanks everyone for the replies and input. Personally I'm not worried about my account info being compromised, as since we know who made CS and it's the only program I use (and many, many other people use it)... I don't believe I have a reason to worry.

Mishbuddy wasn't quite what I wanted and didn't work for me half the time - so CS it will be and stay.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by MartekO View Post
    All that said, I will also agree with those that have issue with Kimi taking an open source program and forking it and then "closing" the source on his fork. I agree that is not a good practice. I don't consider it to be "dodgy" though (inferring "not trustable") - just at odds with "accepted practices" and also that open source "derivatives" should also stay open source. Hopefully some day he will make the source available.
    Just to clarify "Open Source" in this case:

• ClickSaver 2.3.4 is released under the GPL (GNU Public License)
    • it contains libraries that were released under different licenses, like AODB and AOHook under GPL, the BerkeleyDB under a BSD License, the madCodeHookLibL under a Freeware license, the PUL (pretty useless library) under BSD too, and zlib under license of its own.
    • all these licenses require you (the programmer) to do some things
    • most important, the final program must be provided under the GPL license
    • even more important, IF you got a program that was published under the GPL license you have the right to get the source code too

Unfortunately, you only find out that ClickSaver is a GPL program if you look closely at the files. You will find a gpl.txt file but there is no mention of it in the ReadMe.txt file or in the application itself. I must admit that I missed that too for a long time and I am a software developer myself and familiar with a lot of (open source) licenses and their implications.

Just to be perfectly clear: You don't have to "hope" that "some day he will make the source available". You have the right to get the source and he has the obligation to give you the source as soon as you got the program.

What everybody should do is to bug Kimi for the source code. Repeatedly.
    Only the original copyright holder is legally authorised to take action to enforce the license.

Reference links:
    Various Licenses and Comments about Them
    Violations of the GNU Licenses

(One caveat: I don't know when exactly ClickSaver was released under the GPL. If there was a version under a different license then Kimi would have been able to base his version on that earlier program.)
    First small fat Engi on RK1 who danced ballet in Red Twil Thigh High Boots in front of an Advy and got pronounced to greatness almost instantly.

Afreng (220/30/70 engineer) Alfora
    Keepitsimple Exploratia Malpora Osmosa Tunneleffect Eccegratia Littleboy

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Or, well, that's how it's supposed to work. ;P

Quote Originally Posted by alfora View Post
    You have the right to get the source and he has the obligation to give you the source as soon as you got the program.

What everybody should do is to bug Kimi for the source code. Repeatedly.

Feel free to start it off!

My point (just so it doesn't get lost) is that, whether or not some GPL is being violated - that has nothing to do with if the program is "not to be trusted" (as if it might do neferious things). Those are two different issues - but some folks tie them together into one bundle.

That's all I am saying.

I am just a [happy] user of that version of Clicksaver (and the Rollability database); and to be honest, I don't really have any desire to engage in some fight for the source (right or not).

But feel free to do so yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by MartekO View Post
    My point (just so it doesn't get lost) is that, whether or not some GPL is being violated - that has nothing to do with if the program is "not to be trusted" (as if it might do neferious things). Those are two different issues - but some folks tie them together into one bundle.
    I fully agree. Even if you have the source code of a program you would have to compile it yourself AND have the knowledge to search for "evil" code.

I only wanted to clarify the license issue and point out the difference between "hope for source code" and "have the right to get the source code".
    First small fat Engi on RK1 who danced ballet in Red Twil Thigh High Boots in front of an Advy and got pronounced to greatness almost instantly.

Afreng (220/30/70 engineer) Alfora
    Keepitsimple Exploratia Malpora Osmosa Tunneleffect Eccegratia Littleboy

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Or, well, that's how it's supposed to work. ;P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast