Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Active/Inactive Character Slots

Funcom employee

You will not be able do deactivate characters.
    This feature is designed to deal with character overflow after server merge, not to hot-swap available character slots.
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post

Or, is it intended that once we Activate a toon after migration to the new server it is permanent?

Kinnik
    Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    This feature is designed to deal with character overflow after server merge, not to hot-swap available character slots.
    I see ... so the answer is that activation is permanent ... once we have activated a toon on the new server.

Thank you for the clarification Vhab, even if it wasn't my first choice, it is nice to know in advance.

Kinnik

Funcom employee

For clarity i will add, after server merge all your chars will be inactive again.
    Leaving characters inactive or activating them now will not affect you after server merge.
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

For clarity i will add, after server merge all your chars will be inactive again.
    Leaving characters inactive or activating them now will not affect you after server merge.
    So you are just testing the stuff out before rolling the merge out...

Pretty much what I expected from this stuff.

Suggestion: In cases like this you could communicate better.
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Ekarona View Post
    So you are just testing the stuff out before rolling the merge out...

Pretty much what I expected from this stuff.

Suggestion: In cases like this you could communicate better.
    Actually, it's not just testing.
    We're deploying prerequisites for the server merge.
    We need these changes on live to make the merge work the way we want it to

..So what I'm (mis)understanding here us that after the merge, we get all our toons (up to 16) on one dimension, all made inactive. Then we have to pick no more of 8 of them to use, and we can't deactivate, so basically we get to just pick 8 characters we want to keep and the rest might as well be deleted, unless we delete an active character.

....? :C Disappointing.
    Clan for life

Great orgs:
    -Defenders of Rubi Ka (PvM)
    -Devil Inside (PvP)
    -Equilibrium

Quote Originally Posted by jijie2 View Post
    have no make stone to for sword we make sword box for sword to put sword in for sword ?

Quote Originally Posted by Byste View Post
    ..So what I'm (mis)understanding here us that after the merge, we get all our toons (up to 16) on one dimension, all made inactive. Then we have to pick no more of 8 of them to use, and we can't deactivate, so basically we get to just pick 8 characters we want to keep and the rest might as well be deleted, unless we delete an active character.

they're throwing in some free slots to existing customers. they haven't said how many but i'd like to assume it'll be closer to 4 than to 1.

How many active characters can we get after server merge?
    8 or 16?
    Garden keys can be bought from the key locked garden vendor in case you have deleted your key.

Quote Originally Posted by orochi3 View Post
    How many active characters can we get after server merge?
    8 or 16?
    More than 8 less than 24... ;D
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

I think (and my record shows that I have been wrong more than 100% of the time) that once your initial set of slots are filled with recently-activated toons you'll need to start paying for a second account in order to access the remaining toons.

/greet
    Ghosts of Rimor
    Gorastopr 220 MA Doctor :: No pew pew. Thwack thwack.
    Goratinkr TL5 OT Hurler Factotum Engineer :: Bringin' the thunder since 2008.
    Scrubup 100 Bow Doctor :: Will she ever get out of perk reset? Stay tuned!
    Ghosts of Atlantean
    Unda TL7 MA Engineer :: Crying for more crit.
    Measles LVL1 Pistol Doctor :: It takes 2 stims to self the Expertises.

Quote Originally Posted by Le-Quack View Post
    i might be a troll

My opinion is that paying subscribers will get at least 1 bonus slot either after the merge or (more likely) after new starter area arrives to allow vets with 8 full slots to have a chance to run thru the new starter material w/o deleting a char. They will also undoubtedly allow for some number of additional slots you can buy (ala AoC) thru funcom points and/or vet points.
    Dagget
    President,
    Venice Academy

Query on how this'll work:

After the merge I pick my 8 (or whatever it is subscribers get) actives, leaving some inactives. Then further down the line I delete one of those Active characters, is that 'slot' still considered Active by default? That is, if I want to move an Inactive into that now-vacant character 'slot', can that be done or once a slot is Active it'll always be Active no matter what character is rolled in it? (Yes, I have a lot of characters on both servers...)

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Ophiuchus View Post
    Query on how this'll work:

After the merge I pick my 8 (or whatever it is subscribers get) actives, leaving some inactives. Then further down the line I delete one of those Active characters, is that 'slot' still considered Active by default? That is, if I want to move an Inactive into that now-vacant character 'slot', can that be done or once a slot is Active it'll always be Active no matter what character is rolled in it? (Yes, I have a lot of characters on both servers...)
    If you have consumed all active slots, deleting an active character will indeed free up a slot.
    This will allow you to activate a previously inactive character.

If you have consumed all active slots, deleting an active character will indeed free up a slot.
    Cheers!

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    they're throwing in some free slots to existing customers. they haven't said how many but i'd like to assume it'll be closer to 4 than to 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    I think (and my record shows that I have been wrong more than 100% of the time) that once your initial set of slots are filled with recently-activated toons you'll need to start paying for a second account in order to access the remaining toons.

/greet
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagget View Post
    My opinion is that paying subscribers will get at least 1 bonus slot either after the merge or (more likely) after new starter area arrives to allow vets with 8 full slots to have a chance to run thru the new starter material w/o deleting a char. They will also undoubtedly allow for some number of additional slots you can buy (ala AoC) thru funcom points and/or vet points.
    I don't recall which thread I saw it in, but there were FC comments to the effect that subscribers (paid accounts) would get some additional toon slots beyond the 8 basic slots, that more would be available thru some vague reference to a future pkg/promotion, and after that more slots could be purchased thru FC paid points.

What has not been mentioned as far as I know, is what if the toon you want to keep/activate is on another of your linked/merged accounts? Will there be a period of time after the migration that we can transfer toons between linked/merged accounts for free? IE activate a toon across accounts? Are you considering allowing us to de-activate an active toon in the future for a fee, so that we can activate a different toon without deleting one?

Kinnik

Funcom employee

I don't recall which thread I saw it in, but there were FC comments to the effect that subscribers (paid accounts) would get some additional toon slots beyond the 8 basic slots, that more would be available thru some vague reference to a future pkg/promotion, and after that more slots could be purchased thru FC paid points.
    Yep, the post you are referring to is here

So your memory is pretty correct

What has not been mentioned as far as I know, is what if the toon you want to keep/activate is on another of your linked/merged accounts? Will there be a period of time after the migration that we can transfer toons between linked/merged accounts for free? IE activate a toon across accounts?
    There probably won't be a period of time where we let unlimited transfers happen for free. We will be looking into how we can allow a specific (limited) number of transfers to happen for free. But nothing has been decided here yet.

Are you considering allowing us to de-activate an active toon in the future for a fee, so that we can activate a different toon without deleting one?
    This actually came up last week when we were talking about it.

Obviously, the easier solution is to obtain a new character slot (either through a promotion, or paid service)... as you point out, we could sell de-activating for a fraction of the price... for example, if you want to put a character on ice for awhile. But from a player's standpoint it seems like it would have to be really cheap when compared to the price of a character slot to be worthwhile. Because the character slot is an upgrade that you'll always have. Adding the functionality in the future to de-activate a character as a paid service is entirely possible in code, but it's just work on our end, and obviously there's no point in doing extra work if we don't see much interest in the functionality. When the server migration happens, all the characters will be set to inactive anyway, so you'll get to pick which ones you want to make active.

Do you have a specific scenario in mind?
    Last edited by Ilaliya; Oct 15th, 2012 at 20:05:33.

They probably are hoping to activate/deactivate chars in a given slot for free, rotating a large array of chars on a single paid account and thus saving paying for two active accounts.
    Dagget
    President,
    Venice Academy

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaliya View Post
    no yours!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaliya View Post
    Yep, the post you are referring to is here

There probably won't be a period of time where we let unlimited transfers happen for free. We will be looking into how we can allow a specific (limited) number of transfers to happen for free. But nothing has been decided here yet.

This actually came up last week when we were talking about it.

Obviously, the easier solution is to obtain a new character slot (either through a promotion, or paid service)... as you point out, we could sell de-activating for a fraction of the price... for example, if you want to put a character on ice for awhile. But from a player's standpoint it seems like it would have to be really cheap when compared to the price of a character slot to be worthwhile. Because the character slot is an upgrade that you'll always have. Adding the functionality in the future to de-activate a character as a paid service is entirely possible in code, but it's just work on our end, and obviously there's no point in doing extra work if we don't see much interest in the functionality. When the server migration happens, all the characters will be set to inactive anyway, so you'll get to pick which ones you want to make active.

Do you have a specific scenario in mind?
    I guess a tangent question -

Has there been any thought about allowing those of us with multiple linked accounts to be able to log toons from a "pool" of toons equal to the number of paid accounts.

Example - I have 4 accounts and want to log a set of 4 toons, but currently 2 are on the same account. Now I have to pay to move toons around on my linked accounts. What I would like would be to have my pool of 32 toons and be able to pick any 4 to log and play.
    Utopia
    The continued search for an ideal community possessing a perfect socio-politico-legal system.

“ The first thing a child should learn is how to endure. It is what he will have most need to know. ” — Jean-Jacques Rousseau

thanks for clearing it up Funcom, Good to know none of our characters get permanently deleted.
    Garden keys can be bought from the key locked garden vendor in case you have deleted your key.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast