Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: TSW is flopping - affects development of other games?

Hi all,

I find comments about the combat being boring curious as some have stated. It is way more hectic and intense than any RPG I've tried except for AoC. It's constant moving and dodging and trying to hit your attack buttons at the same time which I find to be too much for an RPG. I think this type of action should stay with FPS type games. So I can't see how it's boring.

On another note, I thought I would have figured this out after so many years, but I'll finally ask. What does the summer have to do with activity or even sales? Iv'e seen this mentioned before when population questions come up.

Respectfully submitted.
    Last edited by Monchil; Aug 16th, 2012 at 18:15:03. Reason: Spelling
    ----------------------------------
    The Dark Order Of Chaos

Monchil - MA
    Maxxon - Bureaucrat
    Gunnymonch – Soldier
    ----------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    i didnt realize there were people that played mmo's for the story o-o
    I read Playboy for the articles.

Quote Originally Posted by Monchil View Post
    On another note, I thought I would have figured this out after so many years, but I'll finally ask. What does the summer have to do with activity or even sales? Iv'e seen this mentioned before when population questions come up.
    This is my observation on peoples claim of population patterns:
    During summer vacation (or other holidays), the numbers are low because people are on vacation and not at home. When it's not some vacation, the population is low because everyone's at school or work.

In all seriousness though; It did feel a little bit like FC tried to do a silent release of this game. I'm pretty confident that's not the case, but that's still what it feels like.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

Quote Originally Posted by Demoder View Post
    This is my observation on peoples claim of population patterns:
    During summer vacation (or other holidays), the numbers are low because people are on vacation and not at home. When it's not some vacation, the population is low because everyone's at school or work.

In all seriousness though; It did feel a little bit like FC tried to do a silent release of this game. I'm pretty confident that's not the case, but that's still what it feels like.
    It does make sense, I mean a couple of months of ironing out things before advertising.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomium View Post
    I say this with all love and humor, but...

haters gonna hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamsofnano View Post
    It does make sense, I mean a couple of months of ironing out things before advertising.
    Hello Windguaerd.

It makes about as much sense as wanting to go bankrupt. The large-scale closed betas were for ironing out bugs.
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

Spending 6 years developing something is not cheap. Perhaps they didn't feel confident enough in the game and that's why they launched it at the worst possible time; early summer, without any advertisement to like, cut their losses. Try the cheapo Secret War facebook thing, get people to tell others about it and go free like that. Advertise on RPS and PCG, just before launch, do a couple interviews, but nothing expensive. Cut those loses! Don't invest more money! Get it out the door, sell as much as possible, rely on word of mouth and hope for a couple good review from greasing the wheels a little.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Hello Windguaerd.

It makes about as much sense as wanting to go bankrupt. The large-scale closed betas were for ironing out bugs.
    I urge you not to spread false rumors. I'm not Windguaerd, nor any other player than Dreamsofnano, on Rimor, a lowbie NT. And I urge you to get your facts straight or at least have the decency to verify them first Demoder, before jumping to conclusions.

If you have a problem with this, I urge you to seek a GM, or message one of the devs on this board, and I'm pretty sure they can verify it for you.

Thanks.

Please read my Idiom of the Week below, it applies to this situation I think.
    Last edited by Dreamsofnano; Aug 16th, 2012 at 20:47:44.

haters gonna hate.

Hello Windguaerd.

And to reply to your subject... I think that's rubbish. They delayed it for 2 months at first, than for another few weeks. They needed as much time as they could get prior to launch. Then EA probably put the foot down for launching it for revenue. Launching it in the summer is not necessarily a bad thing, I just hope they will have a huge advertising campaign of some sort, because relying on game press and social media only, might not yield the results they want.

And it was riddled with small bugs even up to last days of beta, some that prevented to complete quests such as a certain type of creature was not present to kill, or not being able to click on an item. I encountered many of those bugs in closed beta and they were still there at the end of beta unfortunately, and overlapped into release.
    Last edited by Dreamsofnano; Aug 16th, 2012 at 20:55:21.

haters gonna hate.

I urge you not to spread false rumors. I'm not Windguaerd, nor any other player than Dreamsofnano, on Rimor, a lowbie NT. And I urge you to get your facts straight or at least have the decency to verify them first Demoder, before jumping to conclusions.

If you have a problem with this, I urge you to seek a GM, or message one of the devs on this board, and I'm pretty sure they can verify it for you.

Thanks.

Please read my Idiom of the Week below, it applies to this situation I think.
    My mistake, then. I must've been confused by your writing style, and how you didn't protest when Masta referred to you as wind earlier.

My mistake, then. I must've been confused by your writing style, and how you didn't protest when Masta referred to you as wind earlier.
    That might have also been my mistake, as I skip most of Mastablastas posts, because they are genuinely counterproductive in nature, and sometimes even berate other players that vent their frustrations with the game and rightfully so. He has some good points now and then, but the rest is semi-sophisticated trolling with a nice hat.

Don't get me wrong I'm a Funcom fanboy, love TLJ, love Dreamfall, love TSW, love AO, looking forward to Chapters.

haters gonna hate.

Don't get me wrong I'm a Funcom fanboy, love TLJ, love Dreamfall, love TSW, love AO, looking forward to Chapters.
    So what you're saying is: "Yes, I'm Windgauerd.". lol

Quote Originally Posted by Phixalicious View Post
    So what you're saying is: "Yes, I'm Windgauerd.". lol
    I also love all those things, and am also pretty sure I am not Windgauerd.
    -Tanisthonus. 212MP. Unity of the Rose. Atlantean.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanisthonus View Post
    I also love all those things, and am also pretty sure I am not Windgauerd.
    "Pretty sure" means you're not positive.

<-- not Windgauerd.

(Yes, I'm sure.)
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Phixalicious View Post
    "Pretty sure" means you're not positive.
    One can never be completely sure. Maybe, when I think I am going to bed at night, I wake up as someone else until THEY go to sleep!
    -Tanisthonus. 212MP. Unity of the Rose. Atlantean.

That might have also been my mistake, as I skip most of Mastablastas posts, because they are genuinely counterproductive in nature, and sometimes even berate other players that vent their frustrations with the game and rightfully so. He has some good points now and then, but the rest is semi-sophisticated trolling with a nice hat.

My posts are only counterproductive to stupidity. If you like, you can go read them everywhere on this forum where I combat dumb, baseless whining, screaming, crying, carebear squealing, and other forms of completely bizarre kneejerk clown antics, mass-hysteria, mass-delusion, imagined entitlement, and the remaining badly worded, badly argumented, and badly thought out posts about nothing at all of any actual importance. Maybe once we can actually have something game related to debate instead of all this dumb crap that is being "debated" now a days, we can have an intelligent forum again. But today, stupidity, like your lucid masquerade here, and someone interrupting every post to say that nothing is as important as being able to change numbers in the GMI, is most of what we can hope for.
    Last edited by Mastablasta; Aug 16th, 2012 at 23:26:30.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    My posts are only counterproductive to stupidity. If you like, you can go read them everywhere on this forum where I combat dumb, baseless whining, screaming, crying, carebear squealing, and other forms of completely bizarre kneejerk clown antics, mass-hysteria, mass-delusion, imagined entitlement, and the remaining badly worded, badly argumented, and badly thought out posts about nothing at all of any actual importance. Maybe once we can actually have something game related to debate instead of all this dumb crap that is being "debated" now a days, we can have an intelligent forum again. But today, stupidity, like your lucid masquerade here, and someone interrupting every post to say that nothing is as important as being able to change numbers in the GMI, is most of what we can hope for.
    A forum is not a place to "combat" people, nor to judge any ones intelligence. What you find
    correct, others can find differently. People contribute with different things. A forum will never
    be intelligent, nor can you control people. That said, you have my sympathy for your intention.
    Ao used to attract pretty intelligent people, i think it still does, but not as the same.
    I think thats what made the great Ao community in the first place, with allot of intelligent
    and knowledgeable players. If you look at other mmorpgs forums they are totally filled with very low intelligence,
    and then some intelligent ones here and there.

As of is "TSW flopping", i think its good idea to release a game when you can, the earlier you
    can start, the faster you can make money. MMOs have a long lifespan. Funcom have a pretty good game engine, ones you have this (dreamengine) you can make many games. TSW is not my cup of tea, but i hope they urn some bucks on it. Pretty sure AO is going to beat TSW when they get all things sorted with the new engine and design tool manger.

We are all illusional people, we where all born with a set of illusion based on what reality might be. But a illusion is not great without some one to share it with
    Last edited by Ironmax; Aug 17th, 2012 at 00:56:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    ... where I combat dumb, baseless whining, screaming, crying, carebear squealing, and other forms of completely bizarre kneejerk clown antics, mass-hysteria, mass-delusion, imagined entitlement, and the remaining badly worded, badly argumented, and badly thought out posts about nothing at all of any actual importance.
    Awww, you do really love me!

confirmed: savagedlight is windguaerd.

Just saw some three day free offer come through my e-mail, also annoucning they are adding a raid and some new content - bets on time till f2p?
    Gaveup 220/30/80 Smg

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast