Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Merge

Quote Originally Posted by Psikie View Post
    AH but the system program and databases are 10years old. All that 10year old data must be converted to the new engine and onto new server. Then tested to make sure the major bugs are ironed out. I wouldn't be surprised if FC was actually building 2 new servers 1 for test and 1 for live.

I really would much prefer that any major kinks were ironed out before I have my toons transfered over to the new server. I would hate to be in the middle of 12m, pande, collector, or gauntlet and all the sudden some bug causes my armor and weapons to go poof from a bug.
    I am pretty sure the Database is not 10 years old. They are probably running MS-SQL2008 at current build. Converting database is a simple task (server that is, not client), they are made up by the same things access/oracle etc., only thing important is that they have the same definitions as the 10 year old basic system of AO ( that i am sure have been modified over the years). The code has
    to connect correctly to the db (t-sql) today this can be done allot easier than back in does days.
    Not sure what client DB is running vs server SQL (does are 2 pretty different things).

I think AO is build up by mixed systems, some parts are brand new some are rusty old "guessing ofc"
    Last edited by Ironmax; Jun 1st, 2012 at 01:34:42.

Character data is not unique across servers as means posted some time back. Much of the data is held in BLOBS(binary large objects) so I suspect that the databases are still the originals.

rk2 is dead. merge nowzies
    Deathmaster1 220/30/70 Dmsengi 220/28/70
    Dmstanker 220/30/70 Dmsdoc 220/25/70
    Anarchic1 126/15/35 Dmsfix 220/30/70
    Imakeyouoe 164/22/42 Imakeyouoe2 85/9/21

BM of Dark Front - We are recruiting. darkfront.org

6 months - too many technical difficulties to do now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    Character data is not unique across servers as means posted some time back. Much of the data is held in BLOBS(binary large objects) so I suspect that the databases are still the originals.
    Me too. And... while BLOBS are cool when you need speed in data transfers, it demands way too much work in the programmer side. Any mistake can make things go wrooooooong, deadly wrong! Once I screwd lots of data on a computer when I forgot a '&' and ended up putting a string into a data pointer. Save, compile, run. Then The Matrix popped on my screen, was not green letters but white, but still..
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by lainbr View Post
    Me too. And... while BLOBS are cool when you need speed in data transfers, it demands way too much work in the programmer side. Any mistake can make things go wrooooooong, deadly wrong! Once I screwd lots of data on a computer when I forgot a '&' and ended up putting a string into a data pointer. Save, compile, run. Then The Matrix popped on my screen, was not green letters but white, but still..
    Handling memory and pointing have nothing to do with server DB, You dont need
    to compile the client db to change the server DB. Your character data is not stored
    in your client, only settings like GUI, chat logs etc.

First of all editing or copying DB is not programming, and there are many tools to copy
    data from 1 database to another with validation CRK. You dont merge a database,
    you insert data from 1 DB to another so that unique keys will sty correct at the destination db,
    and ofc You have backup if any thing goes wrong, so you can do it again. DB aren't really that
    that big of size, if they are, then they are made incorrect from the start. If the t-sql script
    is made correct nothing should go wrong, if wrong, then some one need to get fired and put back to school.
    Last edited by Ironmax; Jun 1st, 2012 at 12:36:56.

Some database programmers do not understand referential integrity. Sometimes merging databases that are poorly designed can involve extensive programming. Whoever designed the original AO databases is probably long since gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    Some database programmers do not understand referential integrity. Sometimes merging databases that are poorly designed can involve extensive programming. Whoever designed the original AO databases is probably long since gone.
    True, but then its the c++ coding that is made badly not the database it self. Db are simple tings
    like plain text. Databases haven't really changed that much since MS invented SQL over the years.
    More the server handling them.

Example, the database includes binary data to work with the client library, you have to instead
    make a reference ID to call the binary data for the client. When the client reads the database
    it calls the reference ID for internal data instead of using its binary data. This also improves the performance. To redo this, means to change definitions. Maybe not that big a work.

You don´t need the ppl who defined the DB for AO 10 years ago, i am sure Gaute and the others
    are still able to help out. When you see the DB template you see pretty fast whats going on.
    The real work is inn the client library build.

Btw i want a better query search for the GMS if you leave a blank space your query ends up null, tip here is to use "contains string" and "end/start" phrase to get a real search. Like you search "Xan Artillery" and you get result, instead of zero like today.

Current loop code is probably something like this ((string)textboxGMSsearch == dbAOUser.ActiveplayershopsCityAI.itemNames)
    should be like this ((string)textboxGMSsearch.Contains(dbAOUser.Active playershopsCityAI.itemNames))

Better query with better operators
    Last edited by Ironmax; Jun 1st, 2012 at 13:32:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironmax View Post
    First of all editing or copying DB is not programming, and there are many tools to copy
    data from 1 database to another with validation CRK. You dont merge a database,
    you insert data from 1 DB to another so that unique keys will sty correct at the destination db,
    and ofc You have backup if any thing goes wrong, so you can do it again. DB aren't really that
    that big of size, if they are, then they are made incorrect from the start. If the t-sql script
    is made correct nothing should go wrong, if wrong, then some one need to get fired and put back to school.
    Editing and copying DB IS programming when DB is stored in BLOB.

A lil example: Lets imagine a really small DB that stores ID, Char name and lvl.
    In the best case scenario each DB line will be something like <Start of data identifier><ID identifier><ID number><Char identifier><Char name in string><LvL identifier><LvL number><End of data>. I dont know the exactly sintax used to code DB, but its usually somethink like the idea above.
    In the worst case scenario - the BLOB - is more like <Start of data identifier><The binary code><End of data>. Which bits are the ID? Which ones are the Name? WTF will happen if I try transfer it to a new DB?
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink

Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with

Editing and copying DB IS programming when DB is stored in BLOB.

A lil example: Lets imagine a really small DB that stores ID, Char name and lvl.
    In the best case scenario each DB line will be something like <Start of data identifier><ID identifier><ID number><Char identifier><Char name in string><LvL identifier><LvL number><End of data>. I dont know the exactly sintax used to code DB, but its usually somethink like the idea above.
    In the worst case scenario - the BLOB - is more like <Start of data identifier><The binary code><End of data>. Which bits are the ID? Which ones are the Name? WTF will happen if I try transfer it to a new DB?
    The server db is def not using BLOB. You realize that there are 2 very different databases. Server and client right? BLOB main use is for storing image, audio and binary data, not
    basic database data. Transferring raw data over the internet for simple tasks is very bad idea.

We are not talking about client database merge there is no userID stored in your client db.

FC have no problem merging db. they done it before so. no worries..
    Last edited by Ironmax; Jun 1st, 2012 at 15:25:15.

The server db is def not using BLOB. You realize that there are 2 very different databases. Server and client right? BLOB main use is for storing image, audio and binary data, not
    basic database data. Transferring raw data over the internet for simple tasks is very bad idea.

We are not talking about client database merge there is no userID stored in your client db.

FC have no problem merging db. they done it before so. no worries..
    What you said about it not being a BLOB?

hmm well if that is true, that is very bad news, you see what Mastablasta say about it.

That explains the lagg, unfixable unless turn inn to a structured db.
    Last edited by Ironmax; Jun 1st, 2012 at 15:35:27.

Rollback we had some time ago. From what I understood and heard something in the target nano window messed up the data in blob or in next blob... Only solution was to roll back the game. So yeah, they are way to shoot off your own leg if you screw up.
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Ekarona View Post
    Rollback we had some time ago. From what I understood and heard something in the target nano window messed up the data in blob or in next blob... Only solution was to roll back the game. So yeah, they are way to shoot off your own leg if you screw up.
    Simple they should use getBinaryStream and convert all of it to sql like every other mmopgs out there. Then it will make the c++ coders life a hell lot easier to work with, and faster, we dont
    need to wait 3-4 years to get updates.

Simple they should use getBinaryStream and convert all of it to sql like every other mmopgs out there. Then it will make the c++ coders life a hell lot easier to work with, and faster, we dont
    need to wait 3-4 years to get updates.
    Yeah, but that isn't simple as it sounds. Lot of testing involved before hand and then the conversion isn't exactly fast. Also likely no updates can be done to info while it's happening...
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.

Yeah, but that isn't simple as it sounds. Lot of testing involved before hand and then the conversion isn't exactly fast. Also likely no updates can be done to info while it's happening...
    No true thats not going to be done in 2 hours. Not hard but allot of work yes. Inn the long run it will be less work.

Like i said before, when/if they convert it to a normal db and the data there is at the correct definition then its up the the code to work correctly (new connection strings etc) Database
    is just a object with rows and columns. Yes it would need allot of testing of the codes
    to work correctly, blob is a really bad idea, flexible wise and performance wise, SQL server
    today are finished optimized no need for selfmade optimizeding.

I think now, after i know that the db server is using blob binary it makes perfect sense
    all the random lagg we all experience. When you have small fragments ( packs data)
    for small tasks like xyz coordinates, itemID. All this data is very small and dont need
    to query true a whole sett of other data, thats why we have "chunks" of lagg, because
    allot of data are stored and red at the same time Instead you can have small fragments of storeprocedures
    that is already optimized from the server side to handle.
    Last edited by Ironmax; Jun 1st, 2012 at 16:49:36.

Rollback we had some time ago. From what I understood and heard something in the target nano window messed up the data in blob or in next blob... Only solution was to roll back the game.
    I don't know half the stuff y'all are talking about with blobs and squirrel servers. I do remember the rollback of '09 though, 24-48 hours of lost game time and all I got was a t-shirt!
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Psikie View Post
    I don't know half the stuff y'all are talking about with blobs and squirrel servers. I do remember the rollback of '09 though, 24-48 hours of lost game time and all I got was a t-shirt!
    I didn't even get the t-shirt

What I remember best is the "Der Untergang" video with Hitler ranting about losing his new BoC to the rollback.
    Hlep gnak!

Operating capitol. Global market crash / Gaute was ousted mid 2008.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=F...=05&f=2012&g=m

Funcom NV (FUNCOM.OL)-Oslo

Date Open High Low close Avg Vol Adj Close*

1 Dec 2008 2.97 3.30 2.31 2.65 184,000 2.65
    2 May 2008 34.80 55.50 34.70 49.90 916,600 49.90

1 Jun 2012 16.80 16.80 15.50 16.00 796,600 16.00

1 Nov 2011 7.80 8.34 7.00 7.50 138,300 7.50

http://youtu.be/W25_jgiY51I

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast