Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Letter from the game director - Hi guys!

Quote Originally Posted by utopian View Post
    actually, the whole fwm thing - for me - had become kinda stupid. I really could care less about how the fc folks feel, how they work with each other, how their vacation went, who is sick, what the office looks like, the food.....etc.

If ao employees want to share their personal information, then (again imo) place it somewhere for those players that do care can read and chat. I pay to play a game and really wasn't looking for friends or nice people to make the game - do a good job and the reward is continued subscriptions (and you get to keep your jobs). Everyone at fc can be a total tard for all i care - if they make a good game - i will continue to support it by paying my fees.

And venachar - you trolled the players was the point. Opinions about how means did his job were not attacks on him as a person (which is what you seem to think by your post). For the most part i think the opinion is mixed - some good, some bad. Isn't that just about how everyone's own work goes?

What i want is a thread that gives information about the game - the status of projects, future development, release dates, etc (you know, real information).
    if i had his writing skills in my drama threads etc.. i would be invincible! :P
    anyways well said
    Last edited by Le-Quack; Dec 28th, 2011 at 08:39:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
    Actually, the whole FWM thing - for me - had become kinda stupid. I really could care less about how the FC folks feel, how they work with each other, how their vacation went, who is sick, what the office looks like, the food.....etc.

If AO employees want to share their personal information, then (again imo) place it somewhere for those players that do care can read and chat. I pay to play a game and really wasn't looking for friends or nice people to make the game - do a good job and the reward is continued subscriptions (and you get to keep your jobs). Everyone at FC can be a total tard for all I care - if they make a good game - I will continue to support it by paying my fees.

And Venachar - you trolled the players was the point. Opinions about how Means did his job were not attacks on him as a person (which is what you seem to think by your post). For the most part I think the opinion is mixed - some good, some bad. Isn't that just about how everyone's own work goes?

What I want is a thread that gives information about the game - the status of projects, future development, release dates, etc (you know, REAL information).
    It became pretty obvious some months back that FWM was just going through the motions... I had suspected it was the impending demise of AO, though it merely turned out to be the impending demise of Means. Weekly GD posts were about right when content came out as frequently as in the Sil era, in this new slowed-down and constantly fighting ancient code days, I think a monthly post with proper news is about right.
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

I think that basically what players deserve is any kind of communication with developers about game improvement and further development.
    Sil was qute active poster on forums, Means went even far with FWM. Both kept players in expectations and thinking about the game development on a frequent basis.
    I think that some people are feared that this "being in touch with game" will be interupted by long interval of monthly GD notes update.

But I think that monthly letter of GD is enough if other ways of sharing info with players by other members of dev team are used on some more frequent basis (I mean at least weekly). Just for the feeling "being in touch"
    I think that Kintaii would fit well to this role as he is wall of text writer par excellence
    Philty - main, engie, proud member of allmighty CzA
    Philtynurse - backup heal
    Philtysaurus - rising from the ashes

congrats Lindelu
    Vital papers will demonstrate their vitality by spontaneously moving from where you left them to where you can't find them.

Warm welcomes to the big chair Lindelu! You can handle this

I got no questions, just a small little tip. Update the www.anarchyonline.com frontpage often. At least with the news that the game has a new game director.

When I once in a while look for games to play in my short AO breaks then I get easily turned of by games where their homepage has not been updated in a while.

Now, lets show CCP and Bioware what game the sci-fi mmo throne belongs to :-D

Guero 220/20 Soldier - RK1
    The Roots

Funcom employee

Thank you very much for all the kind words.
    Don't panic is really sound advice!
    (The officiate website is updated thank you skranken)
    Former Game Director of Anarchy Online.

Quote Originally Posted by skranken View Post
    Now, lets show CCP and Bioware what game the sci-fi mmo throne belongs to :-D
    I can only second that.

This is such an awesome game. This was my first MMO, and I quickly became lost in it. A "Space Opera" fan since a child, it seemed this game had been designed with me in mind. I've kept my acct active thru the good times and bad, and hope to be here till the end, but it "looks" like the end is getting closer day by day. Now it falls on you to convince the players, old, current and new, that AO is not a lost cause. Not that the current game is bad, but the failed potential and...if not "promises", then clearly slanted info given out by FC, has severly hurt the population. Ppl dont want Soon(tm), they want to KNOW that the game is making progress.

You know what kind of mess u inherited. Not that I dont think Means was an excellent GD, he was. He prolly added several yrs to AOs life. Without him at the helm AO would have gone the way of the dodo yrs ago. But.....that grace period is running out. I wish u luck and happiness in your new path. But it's getting real close to "put up or shut up" time.
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

A bit belated maybe, but congratulations to your new position as Game Director Lindelu
    Izgimmy
    [220/30/80 Nano Technician]
    Dellingr
    [220/30/72 Engineer]
    Avalinn
    [220/30/80 Doctor]

Plus many more...
    Tiralinn
    [220/30/78 Bureaucrat]

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    I can only second that.

This is such an awesome game. This was my first MMO, and I quickly became lost in it. A "Space Opera" fan since a child, it seemed this game had been designed with me in mind. I've kept my acct active thru the good times and bad, and hope to be here till the end, but it "looks" like the end is getting closer day by day. Now it falls on you to convince the players, old, current and new, that AO is not a lost cause. Not that the current game is bad, but the failed potential and...if not "promises", then clearly slanted info given out by FC, has severly hurt the population. Ppl dont want Soon(tm), they want to KNOW that the game is making progress.

You know what kind of mess u inherited. Not that I dont think Means was an excellent GD, he was. He prolly added several yrs to AOs life. Without him at the helm AO would have gone the way of the dodo yrs ago. But.....that grace period is running out. I wish u luck and happiness in your new path. But it's getting real close to "put up or shut up" time.
    ^this

i've tried a lot of mmo in the 6 years ive been on ao, and havent ever found anything that has the same feel. i dont exactly know what it is about this game, but something keeps me coming back despite the flaws.

gl with ur new position lindelu

So we're coming up on the end of the first week of January, when was that update comin' from the new GD?
    Gaveup 220/30/80 Smg

At the end of the month, most likely. Since everything always takes twice as long and the people went on holiday ;(
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by lindelu View Post
    Hi,

update this page too

Eony
    ╔════╗// +
    \\╔════╗
    ▒▒ Aggressive
    ◄▒▒ Angels
    ╚════╝\\ +
    //╚════╝

๓.๓.๏.г.ק.ց. = ๓คภא ๓єภ ๏ภlเภє г๏lє-קlคאเภց ցﻨгlร
    2008 Predicted NOW Proved

Hey Lindelu, any ETA on your very 1st montly news? We all kinda sit on hot stones here (and you better bring good news!! :P )

Cheers!

Shadow Atlantians

= Tikra :: 220 Advy (Inf Hater) | Inevitable :: 220 Crat (Hunting stuffz) | Gotnobuffs :: 210 MP (TS Totem) | Atlantiana :: 200 Solja (Clueless Blondie) =
    = Unabletonuke :: 160 NT (Kitehill Victim) | Aliumeater :: 150 MA (S10 Citizen) | Canhazcalms :: 100 Froob Crat (Foremans Slave) | Canhazbaffs :: 163 Froob Agent (Buffbox) =

PVM all the way

Quote Originally Posted by Tikra View Post
    Hey Lindelu, any ETA on your very 1st montly news? We all kinda sit on hot stones here (and you better bring good news!! :P )

Cheers!
    Allow me to simulate.

Quote Originally Posted by Future Lindelu
    The engine is coming along nicely, should be here any day now. Be sure to renew your subscriptions guys you won't want to miss this!
    New Engine - Announced: June 2007 ETA: Soon™ I'm speechless (June 2015)
    Rebalancing - Announced: January 2009 ETA: December 21, 2012 Started! (April 2015)
    New TL7 Pets - Announced: March 2009 ETA: Uh...
    AS Changes - Announced: July 2009 ETA: TBA
    Parry/Riposte - Announced: October 2009 ETA: ??? Did it! (April 2015)
    Perk Changes - Announced: October 2009 ETA: Right after server merge Started! (April 2015)
    Breed Change - Announced: November 2009 ETA: Hell freezing They did it!!! (Oct 2012)
    Beta Server - Announced: January 2010 ETA: Pigs Flying Did it! (Feb 2014)

this thread reminds me something. Lindelu u are like Pam ;P
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI9Hos5N7TQ
    Last edited by Mrowki; Jan 6th, 2012 at 12:49:44.

Why no update for the the 1st FRIDAY of the year>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by lindelu View Post
    I do not know how updated I would call the official website when it is still showing the land control status on Die Neue Welt.
    Last edited by Tazalanche; Jan 6th, 2012 at 16:38:00.
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

Lindelu- Just wanted to put out 3 early questions that I'm hoping you'll cover off on in your January update:
    ---------------

Means posted an Answers thread that had some comments regarding the new engine, new player experience and rebalancing:

- Engine on a beta server: Goal was end of 2011 (admitted this was aggressive)
    - Release of the new engine/new player experience: Before rebalancing
    - Release of Rebalancing: 3 months for a single person to update all nanos and extensive testing needs to be done on a beta server. Not expecting to see it hit live before April 2012.

Means gave some details on what was still left to be done with the new engine that, to be honest, didn't mean much to me as I really don't get into the technical side of that type of a project.

Two months have passed since that Answers thread was posted, are there any updates? Where is the new player experience project at in terms of completion and since its now past the end of 2011 are you guys at the point of setting up a beta server for the engine?
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

On an addition to Jills last note:
    Even an uncompleted version of the engine made available to test for a select amount of people for feedback (and bug-hunting) will take work of your hands. There might not be much to do in this beta, but i know i would love to do some early testing of the engine. Just so i can give feedback to make progress faster.
    Knights of Ka
    The Elysium Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by Ocene View Post
    Einstein said, there's two things that are infinite.. the universe and human stupidity... and I'm not sure about the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Xatgunner View Post
    On an addition to Jills last note:
    Even an uncompleted version of the engine made available to test for a select amount of people for feedback (and bug-hunting) will take work of your hands. There might not be much to do in this beta, but i know i would love to do some early testing of the engine. Just so i can give feedback to make progress faster.
    I doubt feedback would make it progress faster. Might make it more complete, but it would certainly slow it down

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast