Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steam deals hurt my hard drive more than my wallet

Steam deals hurt my hard drive more than my wallet

I decided to download all of my games minus the betas that are automatically added. This is 1 night worth of downloading.

And that's what they ended up taking altogether. Anyone else have a ginormous Steam folder? It adds up quick.

I won't even dare to install all my steam games. There's like 200 games on there. ><
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

168 titles... Hmm, I need to get new hard drive just for them at somepoint...

Still, 1GB connection?
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

I had to try and fill it up somehow!

Quote Originally Posted by Ekarona View Post
    168 titles... Hmm, I need to get new hard drive just for them at somepoint...

Still, 1GB connection?
    I actually have a 15 megabit down connection, so the download speed was usually 1.5-1.6 mb/s...not sure where the 36 mb/s came from. Probably just a glitch, I doubt it actually downloaded that fast at any point.

400gb or so on my second drive, with only a few games transferred to my SSD when im playing them.
    This was what I was wearing. Tell me I asked for it

Quote Originally Posted by Marinegent View Post
    Soldier reflects just flat out need to be much stronger all the time (70%~ at level 220 at all times...)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    the day our pets last forever, like yours, is the day your reqs will be lowered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    To be fair, you are lucky the mods are as forgiving as they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    your an idiot

I just leave windows, wow, and ao on my ssd. Still something like 40gb free there.

Funcom employee

Steam is the entire reason I'm paying for a non-metered "business" class internet connection in Montreal. Finding a non-business high-speed internet connection that has anything more than 15/20gb download cap per month is pretty much impossible, and when downloading a single game these days can easily cap that limit out? I'll pay the extra cash for an unmetered line. ;P
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

15/20 cap? jeez. i used to have a 60ish gb cap on a home line with Rogers. how'd it get so bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Steam is the entire reason I'm paying for a non-metered "business" class internet connection in Montreal. Finding a non-business high-speed internet connection that has anything more than 15/20gb download cap per month is pretty much impossible, and when downloading a single game these days can easily cap that limit out? I'll pay the extra cash for an unmetered line. ;P
    I feel your pain. German Telekom introduced FttH with up to 200d/100u Mbit in some choice cities, but once you go over 400GB, they throttle you down to 384/384kbit... Meh... At least most regular V-/ADSL connections are unlimited in their data volume here.
    keep smiling
    Najade s, Najengi s, Najngi s, Najmp s, Shadysannz, Toccata, Frobos, Chaodoc, Najcrat, Najtank
    sannz - ENL - NR01-GOLF-11
    a time of changing has begun; the leaves are fallen and undone; inside my spirit starts to run; and all my fears are overcome. - Chiasm, Rewind, 2005

How the hell does 15-20gb caps on bandwidth go hand-in-hand with "the digital revolution" in which we stream music, stream movies, stream tv, download games...? I mean, seriously. What the hell.

Also, I have around 100 games on steam, dunno what they'd take up. But I have a 2tb storage drive, so I'm sure I could have them all.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Funcom employee

A lot of it depends on where you live, like down to the street/block; a few streets away I could have gotten a personal unmetered line, but with a 2mbps speed cap; my current line is 15mbps with no download cap, but as I said it's a business line so it's a little expensive. I live right smack downtown (like literally around the corner from the office building) so the options are a little varied and odd (and it also doesn't help that I got spoiled by those phat Scandinavian pipes while I was over in Norway), but... yeah. Overall, internet in Canada is not a selling point for the country. ;P
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

I have a 20mbps/2mbps line, unmetered :| considering 50mbit...
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    I have a 20mbps/2mbps line, unmetered :| considering 50mbit...
    I have 1024kbps/512kbps
    Have a 8~12dB SNR and 73dB LA, so I'm pretty lucky to have what I actually have.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

I have purchased, I think, 4 games from Steam. Seems I'm not trying hard enough.
    Ghosts of Rimor
    Gorastopr 220 MA Doctor :: No pew pew. Thwack thwack.
    Goratinkr TL5 OT Hurler Factotum Engineer :: Bringin' the thunder since 2008.
    Scrubup 100 Bow Doctor :: Will she ever get out of perk reset? Stay tuned!
    Ghosts of Atlantean
    Unda TL7 MA Engineer :: Crying for more crit.
    Measles LVL1 Pistol Doctor :: It takes 2 stims to self the Expertises.

Quote Originally Posted by Le-Quack View Post
    i might be a troll

I think the Law of Inverse Ninja Strength applies to games. When I was a kid, for the longest time I owned one NES game, and played the heck out of it. Now I have tons of games on Steam and I'm like "meh, nothing to do".

Overall, internet in Canada is not a selling point for the country. ;P
    nope, it's definitely not... where I live in Canada, the best I can get without paying an arm and a leg is 20mbps down/1mbps up, which is what I got, with a stupid 125 gig monthly cap on top of that. if I lived 100km south of here, i could get 50mbps down/up for probably the same price or a bit more, but still capped (lol). mind you, its all fibre across canada, like most countries have these days, so latency is fine, but overall its really overpriced compared to the rest of the world.
    Last edited by SoapTarder; Apr 4th, 2012 at 16:42:06. Reason: GraMM34
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

Jesus, 15/20gb month is as bad as Australian home connections.

Quote Originally Posted by cbus97 View Post
    I think the Law of Inverse Ninja Strength applies to games. When I was a kid, for the longest time I owned one NES game, and played the heck out of it. Now I have tons of games on Steam and I'm like "meh, nothing to do".
    Heh same with me. I bought systems for like.. 2-3 games. Hell, I bought the Atari Jaguar when it came out specifically to play Aliens V Predator, and never picked up any other game. I still have it too.

I own 4 games on steam. Not for the lack of funds, but that I'm really not impressed by 90% of whats on steam.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Atleast some perks living in University's Students' Union's apartment is net. 100/100 Ethernet, now just hoping they get around to upgrade it to 1/1 before I move out ;D Still I can live with up to 10MB/s for now...
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

56.6k, and my modem makes cool noises.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast