Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - October 9th, 2009 - Parry and Riposte - Back from the dead!

All this really depends on just how much skill in each it takes to gain access to the moves

If its similiar to backstab at 200ish then I should think that atleast all high level melee'ers would be able to use the 1 sure parry but not gain any bonus ones without spending IP. Personally I hope its a bit higher so that trickle down isn't enough even at 220, so you have to aim for it.

As for riposte, im guessing it will either be a % chance to be enabled per attack or specials trigger it, but I doubt evading the attack would stop it being opened.

Quote Originally Posted by Gracee View Post
    Please give Crats an action like Parry but based on Psychology.
    Hmmmmm. "Muzzy"... diminish probability of nano-attacks landing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayria View Post
    ... You want to claim that MAs can pluck a bullet out of the air using Sci Fi as the excuse then I'm sure we can get away with 2000m range on Agents rifles for example. ...
    Not the best example since snipers actually do fire from as much as those distances. Though martial artists do dodge the trigger finger at close range.

does this mean that you've solved the problem with grey mobs being lethal because of parry/riposte?

That'll be nice..

On the other hand.. kudos on the mail system, looking good..

Amonette 220 Soldier Nyrec 220 Agent Mekon 220 Crat Mekamara 220 Engineer
    ────────────────────────────────────────────
    Dark Front (Because the sun shines outta my....)

Quote Originally Posted by Jenshey View Post
    Not the best example since snipers actually do fire from as much as those distances. Though martial artists do dodge the trigger finger at close range.
    Yes it is quite possible even in RL, hence we should get it and more to fit with the "It's Sci Fi".
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

Quote Originally Posted by Prynxkjui View Post
    How does any of that help a bow user that has no roots or snares I wonder...

A bit less recently Bow users got that Dreadloch tigress so what more do they need? the only one that uses bow primarly is MP....and they are a support class, not a super killing ppl with weapons class. Maybe they will get some better dmg perk on bow and w.e but idk, but dont whine about bow love like yall aint get none with tigress.

Quote Originally Posted by cratters View Post
    ... What exactly are you trying to achieve with this change? The way you mention it here, it doesn't seem to be part of any larger picture, but rather a nice little project one of your devs decided to fiddle with ...
    word!!!

my main, Kieba 220/30/70 Keeper on DNW, living for YEARS without parry/riposte. sure, its nice to have (i also have the ip for that :-P), BUT that wont help fix the realy important problems.

i love cratters for his posting!! first who checked out that :-)

Quote Originally Posted by wormx View Post
    and people are still using swords....
    People still use knifes to stab ppl is i remember correct. Is that right?

Oh, are we there again? Firstly, the tigress was added shortly after LE launch. You can look up how long ago that was yourself. (Little hint: there's been yet another expansion since LE zomg!). Secondly, the tigress is by far not as great as it looks on the paper. And thirdly and lastly MA's by FC's design are the top bow users of AO, not MP's.

Also my statement was in response to someone claiming that ALL ranged people got uberly uber love with the new uber AI pistol and the new uber pistol perks.
    Yes, MP is a support prof.
    No, MP got **** out of recent pistol stuffs (at least PvP wise).
    No, just because some profs are tagged 'support' does not mean they should have no defenses, no offense, no survivability and no fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sikkii View Post
    A bit less recently Bow users got that Dreadloch tigress so what more do they need?
    Working pets would be a good start.

MP....and they are a support class, not a super killing ppl with weapons class.
    If our pets worked at least somewhat, we wouldn't be so dependent on weapons.
    Prynxkjui 220 NM MP / Prynjunior 220 Soli Doc

A bit less recently Bow users got that Dreadloch tigress so what more do they need?
    Wat? I can root/snare with Tigress?! HOW?!!!!

Balancing PvP, as I see it, should be done through studying professions, and giving them what they need. Not by throwing new toys at entire categories of professions, holding both the most OP'd class, and the most gimped one.
    Well I think what Means is doing is trying not to create a "universal profession" as some people want this pvp balancing to be. What this pvp balancing is prolly doing is looking at what some professions are all about and capitalizing on their skills. Like MA, Keeper, and Shade have had riposte and parry implicated into their equip for the longest now, so FC is trying to bring it back and make is useful and creative at the same time. Just like with those new fixer FA perks, it makes use of all the FA weapons that fixers got with LoX and LE. And new Pistol perks, it makes pistol a more viable option now than it was before for doc, engis, crats, ranged advies and what not. There is more coming probably for the professions that are at a disadvantage. Like advies, personally, I dont see what else they could get cuz they are already sexah in pvp, enfos are too, so they dont really need much more. So you cant say the DEVs are throwing in toys, cuz it's not all finalized contrary to popular belief.

Quote Originally Posted by Suicidal View Post
    Thanks for posting a document containing all the proposed changes to existing perks and descriptions of new ones.
    That's all I have to say.
    Let me know when you find that document. You can find me on RK4.

watch yourself bud, they will...ahh you're immune - rk4 :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ayria View Post
    I love this argument.

"Hey look there's this totally unreasonable and unrealistic aspect of the game but it's alright, we're Sci Fi, and look over there, another unreasonable and unrealistic aspect of the game NERF ITT!!!"

If you want to stick behind this "It's Sci Fi" argument that suddenly discontinues the need for physics to exist then so can everyone else. You want to claim that MAs can pluck a bullet out of the air using Sci Fi as the excuse then I'm sure we can get away with 2000m range on Agents rifles for example. We should be able to AS you from the ground while you're in BS using bullets with small engines and guidance systems.

Am I saying that Parry and Riposte shouldn't be fixed? Of course not, I'm just trying to illustrate the absurdity of this kind of argument.
    Sci Fi and Fantasy are two different explanations to fantastic elements in their general senses. You can explain things scientifically through funny lexicon, or magic using funny lexicon. It pretty much equals out in the end, according to writers.

However, on a side note... id like to add that duck and covering behind crates is a great way to avoid being sniped. Its a pretty low tech and cheap solution to being shot. Apply whatever cosmetic you wish, but the end product being the same... should it matter?
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

FA+AS+SA should lock parry/riposte as well.

First off, I didn't bother reading
    Pity...

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Cratters: Devs aren't people. They have no rights. Every paying subscriber gets to stomp on them. We pay 15 euros a month. That means we are not just their employers, but their rightful owners.
    @Means - Glad to see the return of the cake.
    You have not wasted your day if you have laughed at least once and learned at least one new thing. ~Jokzer

The way I see it, the loot, the levels, all the binary is temporary and can be lost at any time. The only permanent thing in the game are the people and the memories you make with them. ~Silq

~ Homeostasis ~ Proud member of ARETE ~RX~. 2001-2014 - It's been a wonderful journey! *hugs* from Homeo and her army of alts!

Quote Originally Posted by Tanana View Post
    The Parry and Riposte stuff looks very interesting.

Question about the mail system. I can see that there is a 'Expires' section in the mail window.

Does this mean that messages and items sent to player will disappear after a certain amount of time? It looks like 1 month there.

If this is the case will you be able to cancel messages and retrieve sent items?

I must admit that I'm struggling to see why a mail system is needed unless it's to send items to a player while they are offline so they can pick them up later while you are offline.

You guys have done a great job of making RK/SL very accessible and meeting up with someone to do a simple transaction face to face takes 5mins at max.
    This is a feature that should have been implemented when the game first released.

Not necessarily comparing AO to WOW, but I like the idea of having a mail system cause if someone is selling a gun and I am in a team, deep inside smuggler's den or foreman’s etc. all he/she has to do is send it COD via in-game email. Say you want to create a new toon and send it some gear you can do that as well instead duel logging like most of us do currently.

I would like to see the shopping channel/ OCC go global instead of main cities like omni-1, Bore, and Newland. Many of time I would like to advertise an item but my mission is far far away from any city or town. OOC of course for chatting, not selling items cause some people get emotionally hurt when it does happen.

As a Old school AO player there are some days I wish this game had an auction house, player shops were a great idea, the downside is getting to the specific shop when your low level and without a yalm. Some cities are surround by high level wildlife.

I am actually happy about the overall changes goin into effect, how about we wait and see "HOW" all of this will affect everything, before saying omg this is op, thats op, lock this, lock that...

i may actually lvl some of my alts from tl3 when they implement the changes...altho

psst i would like to see that copy of the changes that was suppose to be posted? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Next Friday we will be posting a document containing all the proposed changes to existing perks and descriptions of new ones. This will give us all a chance to examine these changes in detail before implementation in the coming weeks..
    Styles9999<220/21/50 MA-Main-
    Proud member of Obsidian Order!
    All accounts closed as of 04-28-10

Mailing System! YAY!... it only took them four years to consider my suggestion! =P

Now if they only looked at the website redesign suggestion and this and this article... hmmm, life would be sweet as cheesecake.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    Mailing System! YAY!... it only took them four years to consider my suggestion! =P

Now if they only looked at the website redesign suggestion and this and this article... hmmm, life would be sweet as cheesecake.
    yes, cause its only been said for the Nth time, they're working on a website redesign. and we all know, it takes juar a few minutes to totally redesign and impliment a brand new site with tons of existing content.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Quote Originally Posted by means View Post
    parry and riposte

a free full ip reset will of course come with these changes. The addition of parry and riposte actions will come along at the same time as the changes to perks and nanos.

parry

general duration will be 10 seconds.
    Based on your parry skill (and having a martial arts/melee weapon equipped) you will acquire a new action (like backstab) that enables you to parry/block both regular and special attacks for the duration of the action. As your skill in parry increases, your chances to negate damage from regular and special attacks during the active time of the parry action increases. As your parry skill increases the cooldown of this action will also decrease. The parry action will always negate the damage of at least one attack…how many additional attacks are parried will entirely depend on your skill.

riposte

riposte is an active melee/martial arts action that will do damage based on your riposte skill. A riposte is a quick counter-attack based on a temporary opening offered by an off-balance attack by your opponent. An attack by your opponent will “activate” your riposte ability giving you a short window of time to use it to inflict additional damage on an in-range target. This will not be a “huge” damage special but more of an active combat action that is available often during the course of regular combat. Individual player skill in taking advantage of this action will be a significant factor in how effective it can be.
    <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
    Neophyte/Sergeant/Tactician Escritores - Proud General of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 220/27/56 - Soldier - Equip - outdated...
    Poacher Overpoweredz - Proud UC of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 169/9/X - ADV - Equip outdated
    Chiropractor/Tactician Kartoon - Proud SC of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 150/12/12 - Doctor - TL5 PvP incoming. Under construction.
    Also a Freshman Crat, Freshman/Student/Squire/Captain Keep, Freshman/Phreaker/Scout Fix and a bunch of other tower punks and alts...
    Soldier Weaponrack: Anger of Xan, Dreadloch Modified Shark, Amplified KOC-Type 13, Lord Of Anger, AHF, SRPB, KOC-Type 12, KOEC-Type 3, 179-214-237 Coop, Supernova, Omni-Flamer.
    Gromulator: Go troll in your cavern , mr happy Bunny.
    Romaas about lvl 49 soldier BS twinks using CDR's
    Quote Originally Posted by Romaas View Post
    at 49 its totally awesome damage.

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast