Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - October 9th, 2009 - Parry and Riposte - Back from the dead!

Quote Originally Posted by DaviasI View Post
    How dare you expect grown men and women to act like adults.
    We 'act' like adults in RL, we play games to act normal once in a while. We really just want to hit each other on the head with a big bone, but since society doesn't approve of such conduct anymore, we're forced to fulfill our primal urges in-game.
    Zirkonium 220 Nanomage Engineer - RK2 - Omni
    Mereditche 170 Opifex Agent - RK2 - Omni
    Misfiled 49 Nanomage Enforcer - RK2 - Omni (First! Mongo Smash!)

Quote Originally Posted by Klod9000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    So, you can imagine my absolute joy about being repeatedly woken from much needed rest by emails sent to my cell phone generated by highly justified complaints about the level of personal attacks in this thread.
    Gee. So many cry babies in this thread.
    Yes, I know. Moderators are the nerfest. Fix plz...
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Sorry to hear you were sick Ana. Hope it is better already.

So, you can imagine my absolute joy about being repeatedly woken from much needed rest by emails sent to my cell phone generated by highly justified complaints about the level of personal attacks in this thread.
    Just turn the thing off already. From what I heard ARK is volunteer work, and not a paid job. I'm sure that whoever your boss is can understand it if you want to sleep, or are unable to moderate because of sickness, or because of a dead internet connection.
    Lupusceleri L220/30/70 Agent -- Advisor of Spartans -- equip endgame AR setup endgame def setup <3 Azs wearer of Cheree's pants
    Arrowsmith -- Arafellin -- Alphacenta -- Aesculapias -- Wolfseye -- Lysdexic

TL5 enf twink: im out those MPs are to overpowered

crattey: The Balance Discussion forum. Where common sense goes to die.

We all know you secretly love moderating so giving you moderation to do is our way of <3ing you

I meant the people who were complaining.

I say we go back to focussing on the good.

I just found out that I am not going away on the weekend of the 23rd which means I will be home for the opening of The Grind. Now of course I know that was from last FWM, but I'm so done with that thread. Besides this thread needs more love.

Cathryn "Vallikat" Thompon

Your queen of muffiny goodness!
    Director - Gridstream Productions --->Tune In Here

Member, GSP Dancers

Gunney: Lissunin ta GSP mayukz me wanna play... wut bettah reezun duz enee wun need?

Thumbs up wohoo

last! I read this just now, and im so pleased with where AO is going atm.

I'm just waiting for the balancing act to come in so I can see what I'll do with my Engineer next!

Can I stay with AS or will I go Combat Remod?! THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!
    Executing Nano Program: Gift of Assurance. Target has not enough nano controlling units (NCU) left. Swordbreaker: Not enough NCU. O_o Fixichong: FFS Fixichong: ive failed as a fixer Fixichong: i quit

One of the first of those people who put the Infused Dust Brigade Engineer Pistol (2,7k ME/EE making req) + Infused Master Engineer Pistol on the same Engineer before any updates that fixed anything (including the original sync issues inside the DB instance), lolz!11

Quote Originally Posted by Lheann View Post
    nice diagram... but I can honestly say I have never used that move in combat... I prefer the knock the blade to the side and up then rotate the blade and slash the gut move ..... spilling the guts type of move.... since all the refereed forms of sword fighting would disable your arm even for a small hit I have always chosen to drive the blade away with force and then attack... but that is style more than function and that diagram is a good example of a parry/riposte with 2h weapon. though I still think the number of those moves is far less with 2h than with 1h. thus the original question of why is parry/riposte most present on 2h weapons vice 1h weapons in the game.
    Okay, clearly there are a few things you have alluded to. The swords in AO are so big they are compensating for something. Thus they just wouldn't manage both, being far too unwieldy. Never sacrifices speed for weight, size or anything else you can think of. I can't honestly think of any move a one handed sword can do that a two handed can't. Maybe you need to stretch your wrists or something?

Oh and so long as you can block or deflect your opponents two handed sword with one of yours, two one handed ones are like having someone flanking your opponent.
    Please make androgynous Atroxes. (Yes, Jen, this is you main sl00b account, (since you can't tell toons from acc page but can see forum name))
    Make opifex ears more pointy in the new engine.
    Venachar: Taking feedback from this forum would be like starting a bottled water company, sourced from Chernobyl.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Pumpkinhead View Post
    So anxious, so eager, so full of vim and vigor.

No worries, young ones - I'll be changing that soon enough... Hehehehehahahahaha!
    Emacs > Vim

I just had to put that out there...

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Quote Originally Posted by Wakizaka View Post
    Emacs > Vim

I just had to put that out there...
    you only say that cause emacs is a way of life, and vim is just barely a text editor.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Quote Originally Posted by DaviasI View Post
    You must have come from the same school of though as my bosses, who recently decided we've got to "re-focus, re-design, and re-brand" our 500+ page website in 2.5 months...oh and we don't' have an new direction yet...and the devs will be gone 3 of those weeks.
    Well, if you have a HTML website, sure. But if you have a PHP website I'd doubt it'd take more than a few hours to change things around (Of course you may get unaccessable pages and dead links... in the new arrangment... but there are IDE's to help with that stuff.) After all, with PHP you have all the content there and ready to go, the PHP Scripts supply the interface, and as long as FC isn't changing the framework there should be no reason what-so-ever that they can't update their website... (Of course, if you didn't fully modularized the php scripts things could get difficult.) [Note: I may or may not know the proper terminology, and may or may not know WTH I'm talking about... best just to /ignore me]

Quote Originally Posted by Lheann View Post
    nice diagram... but I can honestly say I have never used that move in combat... I prefer the knock the blade to the side and up then rotate the blade and slash the gut move ..... spilling the guts type of move.... since all the refereed forms of sword fighting would disable your arm even for a small hit I have always chosen to drive the blade away with force and then attack... but that is style more than function and that diagram is a good example of a parry/riposte with 2h weapon. though I still think the number of those moves is far less with 2h than with 1h. thus the original question of why is parry/riposte most present on 2h weapons vice 1h weapons in the game.

I have no faith in you all knowing proper sword fighting technique. Hell, "I" don't even know proper sword fighting technique, but it's easy enough to tell the good from the bad.

With the disembowelment type move, that’s just stylized anime. Consider, for you to "brush" your opponents sword aside, he or she will have to be in a "forward attack" (as opposed to side... it should be obvious) AND, your opponent will have to be swinging downward from a raised position. (May have misused forward attack). I don't believe any other attack position leaves the vulnerability that you wish to exploit open (that is, clear line across the stomach).

Now I understand the stylized swordplay, the "brute force"... but again, that’s not practical. If you're going to provide enough force to knock your opponents sword out of the way, you may as well attack while doing so, disembowel your opponent WHILE blowing the sword away because if you FAIL to move your opponents sword you're wide open for a counter-attack, it’s a simple fact... if you punch someone in the face, you can't KEEP punching [after you punched], you have to pull back to punch again... but you attacked to knock the sword away, if you fail your opponent has her sword in a defense position, but can still go to offense while you have to pull back very quickly to get back in defense.

ALLL that aside, you still have the problem that even after knocking your opponent’s sword aside, unless you break his or her grip she or he can STILL attack you... you'll probably begin your disembowelment first but....

Either way, you can still disembowel your opponent, but you want to do it BEFORE her attack, the "pre-attack" if you will... the time when your opponent is raising his or her sword thus exposing the belly, without giving power to the sword. (Furthermore, since the opponent is not attacking at the time, you can quickly go to defensive BEFORE the attack [as opposed to trying to go defensive during it].

Just clarifying, good posture places the blade in the center of the body, parallel to the body, one handed MIGHT go slanted... but there is no reason to fight one handed if you're not fencing (or with two blades but I assume you pictured just one bladed fighting) (basically, if you fight two handed, your opponent should fight two handed, be it with two swords or one sword in two hands)... and unless you fight with one sword in two hands you'll have trouble getting enough power to knock that sword...

You know, now that I think of it... I don't believe that a person, even fighting one handed against you... would keep their wrist locked... sword play should be fluid, lock your wrist on attack or defense, but not before. (Should you even lock?)

All this still assumes you have a decent opponent, pulling back for an attack like this leaves you open, even after executing it. AND it is still better to turn your... stylish attack into a straight forward attack disemboweling and brushing the sword asside at the same time.

BAHH, you're the ones who brought swordplay into it... I'm just being a little psychopath.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenshey View Post
    Okay, clearly there are a few things you have alluded to. The swords in AO are so big they are compensating for something. Thus they just wouldn't manage both, being far too unwieldy. Never sacrifices speed for weight, size or anything else you can think of. I can't honestly think of any move a one handed sword can do that a two handed can't. Maybe you need to stretch your wrists or something?

Oh and so long as you can block or deflect your opponents two handed sword with one of yours, two one handed ones are like having someone flanking your opponent.
    One handed sword fighting allows jabs, two handed seems more slashing oriented. (Technically, you can slash one handed, but it will be weaker than a two handed slash... what you really want to use is a knife, a sword is just too long to be an effective one handed slash weapon)

And don't go pulling "Nanotech"... we all know that AO swords have a REQUIREMENT of 2h Edged or 1h Edged. And if you need two hands to operate a sword you can't just let go and start jabbing... If you do, you'll be over equipping and thus have much less damage and, in reality, may even drop the sword.

No idea where flanking comes in from defense. Less you're implying dual wielding swords... although I do press that you should use both swords in defense against a person using a two handed sword... unless you support yourself against something else... or have a shield, one sword isn't going to work against a two handed slash attack. (You'll actually be quite likely to break your wrist.

Of course, you COULD do it... you have to defend with the hilt instead of the sword... but remember that your wrist will bear the majority of the blow, NOT your arm. (Well, again, unless you defend with the cuff (if equip) that protects your fingers... THEN the force is directed DOWN your arm. [Of course, the sword will probably slip after hitting the smooth surface so try to deflect while doing that (iow, don't let your opponent cut your arm off)]

Again, bahh... /ignore crazy person
    Last edited by merranvo; Oct 15th, 2009 at 07:05:45.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    you only say that cause emacs is a way of life, and vim is just barely a text editor.
    Bow to the Emacs GNU programmers with their Santa like beards and eternal knowledge of signal handling.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Looking at the amount of whines and general posts in this thread in such a short time I think AO is coming out of a depression =)

Guess i gonna be busy on my MA once i reactivate her for the new engine....
    Aspirant of the Means Cult(tm)
    ---------------------------------------
    Bug Busters (Rk2)
    now Froob RK1

I had no idea that all Mods were Enforcers. This is good to know!
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Quote Originally Posted by Wakizaka View Post
    Bow to the Emacs GNU programmers with their Santa like beards and eternal knowledge of signal handling.
    *Ahem* don't you mean GNU Emacs, not Emacs GNU? Hand in your beard at the door.
    Axtilmor - 220/25 NT
    Sulstiare - 209/20 Engy

A proud member of Circle G

Quote Originally Posted by Soosis View Post
    #1: STOP comparing Real life to a Game. Gun barrels in AO are made out of fuzzy bunnyrabits from hell, that dont melt even after 10 hours of consecutive shooting <- closer to truth, than what you are saying.

Saturday without Means.

So this week has been interesting. I managed to drag myself over to the Test Server for the first time in ages. Things have really changed there. I highly recommend that if you want to do some cool things, hang out and improve the game to swing by there. Character transfers are an option. I have rolled a new toon and hope to keep levelling it where I have time.

Those discussions with developers? You can do it there, just means a lot of camping ICC. However, besides how empty it is, if my org dies again, I am going there!

Oh and we got the new patch this week, had a look at some of the things that are being offered, I recommend canceling your plans, this is going to be one wild Halloween party. Might want to take a week off farming while you are at it.

This post would really rock if Means would turn it into a thread and do first reply with, "'First!' is for losers," then go on to do his normal talk on what is happening. Unless I covered it already....
    Please make androgynous Atroxes. (Yes, Jen, this is you main sl00b account, (since you can't tell toons from acc page but can see forum name))
    Make opifex ears more pointy in the new engine.
    Venachar: Taking feedback from this forum would be like starting a bottled water company, sourced from Chernobyl.

I'm glad you liked testlive (did you go after I asked you if you have been on test? :P)
    About having a chat with developers, many of them hang around on test and unless you start to annoy them with stuff, they don't bite.. and they know how to use chat
    <Means> I always laugh when I have to type "/get sex" when debugging

[Social] Eponyx: I don't drink, yeah it is true. Can you please get that pink moose of the platform. And park the polkadot elephant to reclaim.

Uaintseenme: This is why i love Test sever so Much.
    I can wake up in the morning and think to my self, "Im going to break AO today" and should i managed to do it, I'll get rewarded for it.

FRIDAAAAAAAAAAAY! Geif list so i know if i should re-activate or not, catgirl pics would work also tho -.^
    Rktim - 220/70/30 Omni Soldier.
    Imdrunknow - 157+/XX/15+ Omni MA
    Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Messiah has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Rktim View Post
    FRIDAAAAAAAAAAAY! Geif list so i know if i should re-activate or not, catgirl pics would work also tho -.^
    Catgirls are, or were, on test already, go check them out :-P
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast