Thread: A small thing I've noticed...

A small thing I've noticed...

When my toon is standing still & just "breathing", his feet drift around a little.... It's like I'm not really connected to the ground.

It actually really niggles at me & spoils the immersion a bit. I end up thinking about how the game is put together... It just kinda undermines things a little.

Has anyone else noticed this? Or am I just wierd, lol?
    Last edited by Troxxor; Jul 8th, 2009 at 12:59:50. Reason: Hit enter too soon, yay for 1/2 posts
    Troxxor - Atrox Enforcer - My Ganker [Target]
    Slights - Solitus Enforcer - My Tanker [Target]

Loyal General of Ascension
    www.clan-ascension.org
    Rimor | Clan
    Significant Alts: SlightChange | Bokken | Takken

I remember I was really annoyed by the fact that opifex feet don't touch the ground (most of my characters are opi), and what you describe can be seen very well on atrox characters.
    <Means> I always laugh when I have to type "/get sex" when debugging

[Social] Eponyx: I don't drink, yeah it is true. Can you please get that pink moose of the platform. And park the polkadot elephant to reclaim.

Uaintseenme: This is why i love Test sever so Much.
    I can wake up in the morning and think to my self, "Im going to break AO today" and should i managed to do it, I'll get rewarded for it.

I'm not the only one! \o/

Funny thing is, if you sit, your a$$ stays put... Why is my backside connected to the ground, but my feet aren't? o.0

www.clan-ascension.org
    Rimor | Clan

This has always been like this.

My guess is that the character models are "locked" to the center of the screen by the geometry center of their model, and slightly tilted into random directions around this anchor point to give the impression of being alive instead of looking like a motionless statue when not deliberately moving.
    This, however, results in the exact thing you noticed: the feet of the character also seem to "slide" about on the ground, since the fixed point of the character is not where the feet touches the ground, but the center of the character model.

This animation (or whatever could you call it) seems to run only while standing, but not when sitting or sneaking (or in any body stance other than the "idle stand").

"All things point to that they didn't play to win, but for the game itself and to play well. ... Later in their evolution, they forgot all about playing and having fun. When their corrupted minds only cared for what new ways they could gain power, there was no room for the simple things in life."
    - One Who Will Always Listen
    "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."
    - Librarian Isador Aikos, W40k: Dawn of War
    "If you want to make enemies... try to change something."
    - Adam Jensen, Deus Ex: Human Revolution

If you think this is odd.. never go around in leet form in first person.

Alot of the times.. trees and other fauna aren't connected with Fkeys and seem to float 3'' off the ground. Opis usually do this too.
    -------------------

Kaze (RK1):
    Eltaco238 - 220/30/70 Adventurer -- Mptaco238 - 220/27/70 Meta-Physicist
    Engytaco238 - 220/30/70 Engineer -- Crattaco238 - 220/30/70 Bureaucrat

Leet Snuggle Club (RK1): ~Have you hugged a leet today?~
    Leetums - 200/0/0 Fixer -- Fuzzyleet 200/0/0 Agent - Rangytaco238 200/0/0 Trader

Leet Version plox!

MMO's always have horrible clipping issues also.
    Sturmie "Sturmfaust" Smalls, 220 Enforcer. (Totally the Enforcer on Ninj00's Billboard)
    The Syndicate Join the Family.

First Enforcer on Rimor to declare war on Romania as a whole, not because of their beliefs, but simply because they're different.

Blurgh

I've checked & while sitting my solitus alt does "breathe" while sitting, but doesn't noticibly drift around on the floor... It'd be nice if the drifting feet while standing could be improved so it's less noticable.

www.clan-ascension.org
    Rimor | Clan