Thread: SL and Froobs

SL and Froobs

This may have been suggested before and I have cross posted this in 18.1 forum.

How about making SL a quest for Froobs? - gives a limited time access which has to be renewed every 2 weeks or so, gives them an incentive to pay/play (losing perks etc might be a great motivator ).
    Make it per zone as well we already have access nanos for ely on paying creds

Would this work or is it even possible?
    Last edited by Klanbear; Jun 12th, 2009 at 10:55:50. Reason: added per zone idea
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned.

You'd have to make it purchasable via paid points.

Other than that, the mechanics are in game already for it - however, if someone can log into their account and buy paid points, they can also sign up for $5 / month even more easily.

So - not really an incentive, per se. Although accounts losing their SL/AI/LE status when they went unpaid would be possible if every item that had the SL/AI tag went 100% OE / useless once the "now fr00b" tag went through.

Which in itself would be a lot of work.

I was thinking more of a "hostile nano" like the access to ely from Jobe, maybe less work? After all we already have buffs applied after achieving goals like molar etc. Also maybe use the access limitations i.e the quests as a requirement for entering new zone as Froosl and ofc max level is 200 still....
    Last edited by Klanbear; Jun 12th, 2009 at 12:09:54.

Why not let them enter SL w/o hassle or fees? I'm sure they would like the xp and be able to team paying players. Only thing they cant do is equipp stuff, just like ai.

I wouldnt mind anyway.

/imon

if we look how it is now

Froob can kill aliens but can't have Axp
    Froob can go in BS without having VPs
    Froob can kill Dreadloch and Dust Brigade boss without beeing able to wear 90% of the stuff they drop
    but froob can't go in Shadowland why, because it's a very big add-on, but yes that's could be a good think to make them able to see the shadowland even if it's just for a time without beeing able to put sl items on...
    i am ok so i bump even if i don't think that funcom will agree ^^
    Xeratrading 220/26 NM trader|||Methalix 220/21 Atrox Enforcer
    Methaball 176/4 Atrox MP|||Xeradoc 150/16 Solitus Doctor
    Methafire 150/20 Atrox Soldier|||Xeradvent 121/10 Solitus Adventurer
    Xeranuke 186/17 Solitus Nano-technician
    Xeracrat 200/21 Solitus Bureaucrat
    President of ~~ Athalantes ~~
    Squad Commander of The Glowing Nightfliers

why not just add another option for making an account a trial account it doesnt require no credit card etc that way any froob regardless of his or situation can try it..It lasts 2 weeks and is basically a full paid account..During that 2 week period the player can see shadowlands do some lowbie lost Eden missions etc..After the 2 weeks are up the account freezes and the player can start a subscription. I think its better then offering froobs a expansion that is limited.

Klanbear your idea as it is now is nothing but a slap in the face to paying players.

I could see froobs being able to explore the zones if they buy a key for paid points that allows them to enter expansion areas for 2 weeks. But they shouldn't not be able to gain any kind of xp, train any perks, be able to loot anything, or even start combat.
    Major "Grimclaw" Sinister Solitus - Enforcer | Alucard "Opigrim" Ashwell Opifex - Shade | Queen "Shoomi" Hex Opifex - Keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Grim_One View Post
    Klanbear your idea as it is now is nothing but a slap in the face to paying players.
    I love Trolls.

At least it has got people talking about froobs in a different context.

I love this game and anyone else who is more than interested just in P/L and Phatz knows that its the good things in the game that keep people coming back for more, and that is the friendliness of paying long term players

Some start off as froobs and come back for more but many d o not progress because most of the action is unfortunatley limited to SL. However I hope my suggestion at least provides a path from froob to paying player that has a level of progression which gives a continuing goal for froobs, maybe more would stay if they had a chance at something else.
    Last edited by Anarrina; Jun 19th, 2009 at 05:55:03. Reason: fixed broken quote tags

Funny I didn't see any trolling. Unless that is what you call people who don't agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Klanbear View Post
    How about making SL a quest for Froobs? - gives a limited time access which has to be renewed every 2 weeks or so,
    The way this is said here, Froobs will never pay. The have all the advantage or payed players without having to pay, they just have to go through the small trouble to renew quest ever 2 weeks.

Unless by limited time you meant something like 4 hours every 2 weeks and a quest that can only be done 5 times total before quest giver will no longer speak to you. So for 20 played hours they are able to at least pretend they are supporting the game and getting all the benefits of a payed player. But I strongly doubt this is what you meant.
    Major "Grimclaw" Sinister Solitus - Enforcer | Alucard "Opigrim" Ashwell Opifex - Shade | Queen "Shoomi" Hex Opifex - Keeper

Heh, no trolls just suggestions right.
    I make a suggestion and you say its no damn good.

I see on your second post you try to think about it, whether I have come to your conclusions or not, the fact is that many froobs leave the game very quickly and it would nice to think there is a hook to keep them coming back.

Whether you PL or not half way in the game now is Shadow Level 216. End Game for froobs is level 200.
    So yes you could say it can't work, but its not a slap in the face if you have a buzzing community that isn't just a few bored people levelling their alts in Ely for example. How long a quest should take , would, I grant you be the sticking point. but the idea is not to make so easy but to provide a route into a paid account. Which is the opposite of your intimation.

I would rather have RK buzzing, but thats a personal opinion. However I am thinking about how to make this game have a bigger and more vibrant community. If you have been playing the game as long as your post suggests, then you must realise that the element of fun not grind would be a major improvement. More people learning and enjoying playing with others might just do that.

Over to you now

I had already thought about what you had suggested by first post I made and would rather stick to them only being able to tour/ explore the zones and not actually interact if that was an option. I can see where you are coming from even If I don't agree with it though.

Paying players are always getting more content be it new areas, easier ways to level, items, or unfinished stories to read. But just because we get these things does not mean Froobs always should as well. If they did then there would be no reason for them to upgrade/ pay to support game. Just afraid what you suggest will backfire and that would suck.

I have no clue how to deal with the older froobs who have been around for years since most of them ( notice I didn't say all ) won't ever upgrade. But I can only hope the new graphics engine will at least attract some new froobs who will eventually upgrade, or bring old players back even if all they are is RPers who hang out in cities and give game some flavor.

off topic - Actually started AO in August of 2001, nurf not signing up on forums earlier!

I'm not entirely against the idea of giving froobs access to the Shadowlands but not give them anything that the shadowlands gives. I.e. perks and items.

In fact sounds pretty good. Main problems.... Froob weapons suck in the shadowlands so they wouldn't really be worthwhile members to teams past Nasc.

A side note on the perks thing... you can't get rid of perks.... once when my account fudged itself up royally and turned my char froob I could still use all the perks and still had all the passive bonuses from them but could not change them.

Quote Originally Posted by Klanbear View Post
    This may have been suggested before and I have cross posted this in 18.1 forum.

How about making SL a quest for Froobs? - gives a limited time access which has to be renewed every 2 weeks or so, gives them an incentive to pay/play (losing perks etc might be a great motivator ).
    Make it per zone as well we already have access nanos for ely on paying creds

Would this work or is it even possible?
    1. How about 5.- bucks a month ? Gives a limited time access which has to be renewed every month/quarter/year
    Gives them an intenwhateverthatmeans, to pay/play. (losing AI perks and LE kinda etc. might be a great motivator)
    2. no
    3. no

C'mon, go, subscribe and see, how cool it is.
    We love the Fr00b community and if i think of the fr00bs in our org, i clearly would say "yes, make it all free" and so on, but honestly, look arround, what the games have, working on such a concept.
    The comms are widely minors of the ruff kind, they got cash shops and other nightmares.
    No. Not in this world please.
    We are perfectly set on paying a monthly fee, so the developers are some more free, the hirarchic is more flat, there is bigger dynamic in the processes and the game keeps up running in independant developing environment.

The reason that Anarchy Online offers you so great experiences, that you are posting nice suggestions, is in-fact the result of a well working fr00b program, it is your desire for more.
    Again dude, c'mon, 5 of that whatever your currency is, makes you a sl00b.
    I pay 40 credz every quarter and its mutch better invested as in cinema and shortchained fat.

Yes it is true, if your account is not payed from the point of the subscribtion, it is closed until you pay again for it.
    There is nothing lost at all so if you decide to play fr00b again for a half year, there is nothing lost if you reactivate your account. Funcom does a really good job in storing our chars for a long time, even if they are not played anymore, but i heared bout people returning after 3 years and everything is in place.

There is a ton more reasons, why it is worth the lousy bucks...

Froobs being able to enter SL w/o using SL Items or Perks...I sorta like it. It would sorta be like putting a nice, juicy plate of food in front of somebody's face, but only letting them smell of it.

It would also fix the teaming problems....as in lack of ppl.

Quote Originally Posted by Zandibel View Post
    In fact sounds pretty good. Main problems.... Froob weapons suck in the shadowlands so they wouldn't really be worthwhile members to teams past Nasc.

2 things. Have you seen half of the ppl that are in lvling teams these days. I think a froob from noob island could od them. And also...froobs do have access to the 000 upgraded weapons. They are very similar in dmg to kyr weapons.
    Last edited by Flyingengi; Jun 13th, 2009 at 07:51:20.
    Facebook
    Idiots are just like slinkies. It makes you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Undercutting View Post
    Bs isn't where the real pvp happens, tis' where the pvmers' go to feel like they've pvped.
    [Zacyx]: i will perma bann u from MR

I could see froobs being able to explore the zones if they buy a key for paid points that allows them to enter expansion areas for 2 weeks. But they shouldn't not be able to gain any kind of xp, train any perks, be able to loot anything, or even start combat.
    I had already thought about what you had suggested by first post I made and would rather stick to them only being able to tour/ explore the zones and not actually interact if that was an option.
    There's a potential major flar/exploit that can come about by dong the above. So they'd have to be very careful.

What is it? If a PC can basically "tour" an area with no "danger", then peeps would start to make froob accounts to park in various places just to observe when certain spawns happen, scout areas, etc. Probably not something desirable on the part of FC.

I've seen that happen in another game (Star Wars Galaxy had that feature for crafters for a short while - until they saw the noted problems and took away that ability).

Just a thought...

Martek

Giving "free" access for froobs to SL, whatever the penalties, is as Grim_One rightfully said a slap in the face to the rest of us. You have Rubi-Ka, with the classic mobs we've grown and loved for 8 years; but we have our own huge clubhouse in the Shadowlands. It's our land. And rightfully so; we pay the 5-15 bucks or euros monthly for it, they don't.

Bottom line, there's no reason Froobs - as much as I love and accept them - should have any access whatsoever to Shadowlands content.
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

I never said there wouldn't be danger. I would fully expect them to die if they couldn't run fast enough or didn't have a payed player to help guide them through zone.
    At least then they might sign up to get revenge and actually be able to attack the mobs that kill them.

kind of like the idea - we already have several sloobs in org - but could be fun if we were able to show others SL - not sure how it would work with database to have an extra flag on sl items

And yes - I pay too since 2005 - but dont feel slapped in the face by the prospect of having new pll, given a view of what i pay for, may actually scare them away
    But ofc SL items would have to be disabled for them.

And why are ppl so fixed on the the RK4 creds for a game, does it make you better persons, than upcoming custumors ?? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh1er...eature=related

Doubt it will happen -
    but kinda bump
    Last edited by onkelolsen; Jun 19th, 2009 at 07:45:23.
    Most gimped ranged nanomage adv. to ever hit Rimor