Thread: Enno on AO Launch

Imho, M$ started this this paradigm of software development. "Roll it out, we'll fix it later"
    Zirreall 220/24/68 MP
    Xirreall 220/11/70 Crat
    Sirreall 220/23/70 Advy
    Merijane 221/29/70 Doctor
    Azriellla 202/0/0 NT

People shallow, self-absorbed
    See the push and shove for their rewards
    I, me, my is on their minds
    You can read about it in their eyes

No, their model is "Ship it now, they'll be compelled to buy the next version in hopes that it has a fix."

Maybe I missed it, but where did Enno explain why launching an unfinished product on time was better than launching a finished product late? I mean, I get what he was talking about how the players helped the Devs establish the priorities on the fix list, as opposed to wasting time trying to build more worthless features. But, if a chef is cooking me Eggs Benedict I don't want him to give it to me before it is fully cooked.

It seems like it would be a better marketing strategy to just say, "We're working on this cool game. You'll see it when it's done" as opposed to saying "We're working on this cool game. You'll hopefully see it in Fall of 20XX." They don't need to create some arbitrary deadline for themselves or the players. We can't play the game until it is released, anyway, so just don't release it until it is finished.
    Amosco -- Brokest Trader on RK2
    Coope -- His bot is his best friend

Originally posted by Dark Kensai
    Promising the stars and then hitting the customer with a bat so that they see stars is not the same thing.

Originally Posted by sobeguy
    If you really want this chair, why not just get a phalloplasty and address your real concern?

Become a Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Zirreall View Post
    Imho, M$ started this this paradigm of software development. "Roll it out, we'll fix it later"
    More like "let's reuse the same code without touching anything and develop over and over... oops that printing code from win 3.1 have a security issue that let you send viruses through print scripts".

Vista did hold some promises but this time they didn't release it early enough, and Win XP users hated it because that's not what they wanted.

But anyway we're not about Microsoft, it's about Funcom.

I'd say, yes it's smart to release it but both AO and AoC are labeled launch failures. And it's hard to get that sticker off. It's hard to know where it should be considered a release candidate but even with free time people will feel wasted. There need to be critical features to meet its quality marks before a launch. Maybe we need new terms and both marketing and developing practices to better identify this, so the clients doesn't end with such feelings (I mean gamers in particular, worst clients ever if you ask me).
    Last edited by Boltgun; Dec 13th, 2009 at 12:11:31.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

Meh. In 2001 it may have held true, but in 2009, you could hardly argue that people don't know what fans want in a MMO. Stability (ability to actually play); balance (because everyone always compares with each other); content/variety (because clicking 1,000 times per min can get old).
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds