Thread: Newbie question about +crit %

Newbie question about +crit %

Hai there. Not an MA, but I reckoned you folks would know the most about it.

Some questions:

1) Is crit % linear or scaled? e.g. Is it a flat rate increment, or are there "steps" where crit % moves on up into more frequency.

Hmm. Badly worded. What I'm trying to ask is whether the numbers on crit / hits > time actually works out statistically identical (or close) to your +crit % chance, or are there other factors involved?

2) Does the AI have -crit % reduction? At all? Are crits effected by anything in PvM?

3) Does AC etc effect crits?
    3a) Exactly how does the crit modifier on weapons (e.g. 350-600 (500) ) interact with the crit mod your gear / nanos gives?

I'll think of more. But I've not seen [insert link to obvious sticky on crits here] something breaking down the variou

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlain View Post

Some questions:

1) Is crit % linear or scaled? e.g. Is it a flat rate increment, or are there "steps" where crit % moves on up into more frequency.

Hmm. Badly worded. What I'm trying to ask is whether the numbers on crit / hits > time actually works out statistically identical (or close) to your +crit % chance, or are there other factors involved?
    Logically it can't be exact. With 68% crit chance (that's what I got in my dmg gear including crit proc) you've got 68% chance on critting the mob and 32% on not critting it. This practically means the final crit rate is close to it but usually not equal to your crit rate.

2) Does the AI have -crit % reduction? At all? Are crits effected by anything in PvM?
    There's no known crit debuff from mobs but some mobs (bosses in general) might have a decent crit reduction. Not sure thou as I've never seen any vertification on it from FC.

Yup it does.

3a) Exactly how does the crit modifier on weapons (e.g. 350-600 (500) ) interact with the crit mod your gear / nanos gives?
    I think I saw the formula but unfortunatelly I can't remember where and when. Possibly someone else knows?
    Kotty • Drush • Guzzler • Farminator

2) Are crits effected by anything in PvM?
    Yea, some mobs (most notably sided mobs in SL) have crit reduction so you'll be critting them less.
    They don't debuff your crit chance though if you were wondering that.
    Still waiting for Ultimate Ofab Armor!

Definition of penultimate - next to the last

Quote Originally Posted by kotty1 View Post
    I think I saw the formula but unfortunatelly I can't remember where and when. Possibly someone else knows?
    Assume A-B(C), and X is attack rating multiplier to damage.

Total crit damage = B*X + C*X + damage type modifier.
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

On a target which has the same final defense mod (evades+aad in whatever's the right formula) equal to your AR, and which has no crit resist - on average you'll hit exactly as your "on paper" crit rate (just remember that it's % chance, so it's not acurate).

SL mobs got crit resist, NW towers got crit resist, allot of bosses got crit resist (and in PvP players got it too).

Ohhh yea... sadly... (that's why we're hitting for so much less in SL compared to rk/aliens)

The crit mod on gear/nanos does not interact with it at all, because that's just a weapon template & nothing more.
    But if you're asking what the formula for "weapon template --> actual damage" then according to this http://forums.anarchyonline.com/showthread.php?t=137444 it looks something like this:

Regular hits = max[(min damage * (1 + (attack rating mod)) + damage buffs),
    ((random (min damage, max damage) * (1 + (attack rating mod))) - (target AC / 10) + damage buffs)]

Critical hits = (((max damage + crit bonus) * (1 + (attack rating mod))) - (target AC /10) + damage buff)

(the "attack rating mod" mentioned in the formulas above is NOT your AR nor AAO, it's a final, adjusted modifier, you have to read the thread in the link to understand)
    zDD - a Damage/HEALS/Tanks/XP parser
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlain View Post
    yea...the best way to fix messed up game mechanics is by giving up item slots for new 'bug fix items'...like I said before, next we'll get the Staff of Pet Pathing and perhaps an Anti-LD Ring and how about some pants that make it so I don't get forced to autoface my opponent after casting a nano when I'm trying to run away...Combined Developer's Wear of Autoface Resistance, and maybe some new symbs with broken quest resistance, oh, and how could I forget the upgrade to the scuba gear that adds Rubberbanding Resistance...

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalDmg View Post
    On a target which has the same final defense mod (evades+aad in whatever's the right formula) equal to your AR, and which has no crit resist - on average you'll hit exactly as your "on paper" crit rate (just remember that it's % chance, so it's not acurate).
    Technically it is accurate, given a large enough sample the rate will be indicative of your actual critical chance. Small samples cannot accurately measure anything empirically, they will be biased.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalDmg View Post
    Ohhh yea... sadly... (that's why we're hitting for so much less in SL compared to rk/aliens)
    It doesn't affect crit% if that's what was meant by the question, but it does affect the amount of damage you do. I believe the formula is that you lose 1 point in damage for every 20 points in ACs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that. But yeah, like CriticalDmg said, you're gonna notice quite a difference in the damage your crits do in SL vs RK/Aliens.
    Nethelus1
    Advisor of Synergy Factor

Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push 'em down a flight of stairs.

Some questions:

I'll think of more. But I've not seen [insert link to obvious sticky on crits here] something breaking down the variou
    1) it will be spot on you go for a long period of time but that's the same with any probability

2) some mobs in AO have crit resistance which will affect your crit %

3) AC affects the amount of dmg your crits do to a point. Min your crit will do is the min dmg on your wep+the crit modifier+dmg mods so min crit on the wep in your example is 350+500
    Darkkblood level 220 MA AI:18

Darkmetals level 149 Eng AI:0