Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Testlive Transfer Now Working

Why do I always forget that last blasted zero?

Edit: Nope, that didn't work, oddly enough, now it says can't find the patch. I think I'll just redupe AO and start over.
    Last edited by Dancingrage; Mar 28th, 2008 at 19:29:51.

Bah, Testlive hates me, wtb some ideas on what I could be doing wrong:

copied my LIVE copy that's up to date: i.e. 17.8.1, edited version.id to say 17.7.3(adding that last zero doesn't seem to work for me) get an error saying an unrecoverable error occurred while patching and that I may need to reinstall AO (*snrk*) Deleted and reduped, same occurrence. No custom GUIs, do have Sphere and CSP map installed, but that's about it.

Erm... mebbe set the version.id to 17.8.1.0 instead?

Note to self: check that the listed numbers are right next time before writing a post
    General of Umojan Protectorate - Technical Department
    General of Haven - Technical Department
    Norbal, 220/19 MP - "Slightly" off-kilter NM - equip
    Norbby, 220/20 Keeper - stabbing anything that moves

Quote Originally Posted by jorricane View Post
    And all MPs should be forced to speak like that Architect guy from the Matrix when RP'ing....
    I bump this daily, drop by and say hi?

DOH! 17.8.1.0 it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Dancingrage View Post
    Course I'd be setting all this up but for the fact that I can't seem to get my duped copy to patch up properly.

Set version.id to 17.7.3 and says there was a problem applying patch, may need to reinstall AO, etc...I'll figure it out.
    Current live version is the same as current test version.

So 17.8.1 is the same as 17.8.1.2 so you only need to change the version.id file to say 17.8.1.2 instead of 17.8.1, no patching is required.
    Last edited by Eponyx; Mar 28th, 2008 at 20:55:54.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    would you prefer it to over write?

worse case, can always request a char rename when you hit test.

then again, its only test. so it doesnt really matter. that and the fact the next big patch, the copy gets wiped anyhow.
    I would prefer it to merge, in some way with my character currently on test. I have items on there (BoC, MAB) that I do not have on my live character.

It is not the case that your character will get wiped come next big patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Righteous View Post
    It is not the case that your character will get wiped come next big patch.
    There is a higher posebility that your transfered character might be deleted when there is a new patch, where a test born character would not be deleted.

This is ofcourse not to be mean to anyone that have alot of cool stuf on their play chars they transfered but more an opportunity to get new fresh chars on test that might or might not have aquired new stuff since last transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Eponyx View Post
    There is a higher posebility that your transfered character might be deleted when there is a new patch, where a test born character would not be deleted.

This is ofcourse not to be mean to anyone that have alot of cool stuf on their play chars they transfered but more an opportunity to get new fresh chars on test that might or might not have aquired new stuff since last transfer.
    oh I see. I figured since my character has stood the test of time on the servers so far it would continue to do so. Well thanks for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingbrain View Post
    the testlive transfer is a testlive COPY

just tested it today and my chars are still on the normal servers
    Would be nice if they reworded that from "Testlive Character Transfer" to "Testlive Character Copy" as I was worried about my char getting moved to testlive rather than copied too.

i copied my main, then deleted it on test, then copied again, no problems

what's the trick to patch testlive from current live version copy. If I set 17.8.1.2 in version.id i get checksum error. I tried some other versions, couldn't find patch on server that way.
    i R not spik engrish

I set my version id (large client) to 17.8.1_EP1 & it upgraded to the latest test version without problems last Thursday or Friday.

The only problem I currently see with the current transfer (copy) is the loss of prefs. I transferred a 200+ toon that I use regularly & when I logged it in for the first time it was like being back on noob isle. No minitoolbar, everything in default locations & hidden behind something else, etc.

I even went so far as to make a backup of the test server character's prefs (in case I fubared the original testserver prefs) & tried copying everything in the prefs folder from the real toon on RK1 to put into the prefs folder of the testserver toon. I got docking locations (where my hotbars, nanos, windows, etc. are located) back, but not the pack naming/locations. I even tried deleting everything in the testserver toon's prefs folder & then pasting everything in the RK1 toon's prefs folder there, but had the same results.

I'll probably continue to tinker with it some more since it would end up being more beneficial if I get it right than to try to remember the name & setup (list mode, size location & column alignment) of every single pack saved on a toon that is multiple years old.

For Funcom to be successful in character transfers (ESPECIALLY if people are going to have to pay for it), having a simplified way to make a 100% exact transfer (or copy in the testserver case) really needs to include detailed instructions for whatever needs to be altered/copied/left alone in the prefs folder of the toon's new location since that information is kept on the client side & not server side.
    Last edited by tazalanche; May 20th, 2008 at 20:55:26. Reason: Forgot to mention which client version
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

2 cent/cen/sen

Test server is difference server, any character transfer will get new id number.

When I did transfer, i jot down both live and test character id, then I delete whole file and folder in the test character id folder, copy the entire what inside my live char id folder and paste over the test character in folder.

That how i did.

Yeah. I had tried by replacing everything in the new character ID (which put the docking locations & settings back) & by replacing only the container folder, but neither put the pack names back.

Oh well.
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

Quote Originally Posted by SSK View Post
    what's the trick to patch testlive from current live version copy. If I set 17.8.1.2 in version.id i get checksum error. I tried some other versions, couldn't find patch on server that way.

Currently you can dupe from 17.8.2 or 17.8.2_EP1 and then patch directly from there to 17.9.0.5 i just did that yesterday myself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12