Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Tying up lose ends.. AO past, present, future..

Thanks everyone for the contributions and support! <3 yall. Updated the OPs with the additions and suggestions. <3!

Another bump, I didn't even bother to read half of it 'cos the first half made enough sense

More immersion! It's a virtual world, more or less, and it should appeal as such.

AO experienced a huge face-lift and a lot of changes during SL/AI launches, they can do it again. And better will, at least lets hope so. With all these ideas mixed with their own they could not go wrong.
    220 Crat, 216 MP, 174 Trader, 165 Shade

Thanks

I had a sort of brain storm based on something rather comical from the community. The "Notum Miner Profession" as we all know is a classic and beloved community joke.. but seriously.. Can our Notum Silo's actually.. you know.. Mine Notum?

Here's the pitch:

Having a NW "Base" aka a Mining Site hooks your Org to a side based "extraction and refinement network" Basically it works like this:

We have an org bank which is a variable number in a database representing "credits". Give organizations a new variable representing "Notum Caches". Every "X" interval of time based on the QL of the site lets just say 1-100 ratio for now and use 4 hours as our interval variable.

QL 1 site = 100 notum for a CT alone every 4 hours.
    • Each Cannon/Turret tower planted gives an extra 25 Notum per interval
    • Each Support tower planted gives an extra 50 Notum per interval
    • Introduce a new tower call "Notum Extractor" which has 0 offensive/defensive/buffing capabilities beyond harvesting raw notum and gives a bonus of 200 Notum per interval.

Scale this up as necessary and then introduce a global Notum Trade / Exchange Market both Official and Blackmarket variants:

Examples:
    • Omni-Mining Facility gives X % interest on the exchange rate for all omni orgs based on side XP
    • ICC Facility gives X % interest based on faction & that faction's side XP
    • Blackmarket options could include "Unionists/Dust Brigade/Sol Banking/Other 'connected parties' " etc... they give a X% interest based on faction & that faction's side XP and how each individual blackmarket resource views a particular side.

Make these markets non-static.. make the "supply/demand" augment these rates. Let the org pres decide which market to sell their notum to and choose when to sell. This will add more depth to NW on top of giving orgs a reason to have a base beyond "buffs" because it becomes a way to earn money for your members.

I would like to take a suggestion also and say for the first time ever lets factionalize orgs:
    If all orgs were forced to select an RP based mechanic ie.. "Department in OT/ Legacy Clan / Local Law Government" then it would give this market some true dynamics in how the NPC's reacted to people based on their orgs actions. Lets say for example that a power org that is constantly killing the DB would loose standings with the DB and make any exchanges between said org and the DB drop dramatically but an org that has not killed the DB would get a better return from them.

Orgs who attack Neutrals will lose standings with ICC. Orgs that attack Clans lose standings with Unionists/clan reps.. Orgs that attack Omni will lose standings with Omni. This would make the actions of an org be held accountable in many respects.

Additionally, each of the various "Exporters" could have custom Towers/NW items that can only be accessed through gaining enough faction with that particular exchange group based on transactional standings with them. In short, constantly doing business with the same person has rewards that shifting around to the best market does not have.

I could go on about how important making organizations select an RP based legacy to follow could be for other future PVM content as well as PVP content but I think I have got the ball rolling in your mind enough for now.

What do you all think? Should I put this in the OP?
    Last edited by Xaun; Feb 5th, 2008 at 15:57:51.

Added a few more items in to the "General Game Enhancements"

I say the old start was better then the new one.

The Arrival Hall got an overhaul when SL released to add in the Jobe Entrance, and again with AI to close the Omni/Clan tunnels to force the player to go Neutral.

The Arrival Hall made more sense from a Storyline point of View. New Arrivals would come from the Morning Star to Omni-1 for immigrant processing. From here, the Omni's would stay in Omni-1, and the Neuts and those wishing to join the Clans would go where they want to do. This was supported in P w/o H when Ross got attacked on the streets my people who were going to join the Clans but were still in Omni-1.

I think it would be better, IMHO, to have Citizens return to the Arrival hall, speak to the NPCs, and new updated NPCs to reflect SL, AI, and LE, and make the choice again, Go in the Omni/Neut/Clan/Jobe tunnel. From here, the 3 factions could have their own training grounds. Perhaps, 'Instanced' versions of their capital cities (Jobe could be left alone since it already has this, for the most part).

If there were faction specific intro movies (omni/neut/clan/JAME) they could play here to setup the experience the player is about to have, in this case, show off Omni-1, pan up to an aerial fight between AF Ships and aliens, then come down on Landing craft dumping aliens out into Omni-1, then pan over to the 'star-port' where a small shuttle is landing, doors open, movie ends, player is spawned in front of a static version of said shuttle.

Omnis take the Omni Tunnel out of the Arrival Hall and end up in Entertainment in the middle of an alien assault. Here they will have exposure to different OT Departments. Pol trying to maintain order, Med trying to deal with wounded soldiers, AF trying to fight aliens invading the Slums, etc. Players can kill wildlife encroaching into the city for XP, or drug addicts in the Slums not being invaded. Leveling from say 1-10 should mostly happen from quest XP rewards that give Lore rather then grinding mobs.

At the end, you can be tasked to run to an adjacent area, like rome for omnis, to deliver a report. the other 5 whom-pahs and grids are offline due to the attack so the player can only take a 1 way ride out of the instance into the game world.

Substitute Tir/Athens/Newland/Lastditch as well as factions as needed to create the experience for the 3 factions.

--

Overall, nice work.
    Last edited by Trousers; Feb 5th, 2008 at 16:36:51.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

A very big bump for the collation of those ideas.

And a debump for forcing a newbie to choose a side before they've had any kind of chance what so ever to meet the ingame community to decide if the reality of the factions matches up with the NPC talk. At least when eveyone is a neut together on the island, odler players rolling up alts can explain factional differences/attitudes/communities/perks/whatnot before the decision has been made. This is especially important for losing that irreversible neutrality.
    This is my disillusioned, cynical and lazy Engi rights activist account.
    Quitter092 Placard holder
    Ophiuchus 220/30/70
    Bombqueen 75 frewb
    Lots of random non engis.

Until pets behave reliably, their stats are irrelevant.

Faction's never been forced. Since the implimentation of the arrival hall there has always been an NPC at the Neutral Exit who tells people that if they're undecided to stay neutral. This should never change.
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    I think it would be better, IMHO, to have Citizens return to the Arrival hall, speak to the NPCs, and new updated NPCs to reflect SL, AI, and LE, and make the choice again, Go in the Omni/Neut/Clan/Jobe tunnel. From here, the 3 factions could have their own training grounds. Perhaps, 'Instanced' versions of their capital cities (Jobe could be left alone since it already has this, for the most part).

If there were faction specific intro movies (omni/neut/clan/JAME) they could play here to setup the experience the player is about to have, in this case, show off Omni-1, pan up to an aerial fight between AF Ships and aliens, then come down on Landing craft dumping aliens out into Omni-1, then pan over to the 'star-port' where a small shuttle is landing, doors open, movie ends, player is spawned in front of a static version of said shuttle.

Omnis take the Omni Tunnel out of the Arrival Hall and end up in Entertainment in the middle of an alien assault. Here they will have exposure to different OT Departments. Pol trying to maintain order, Med trying to deal with wounded soldiers, AF trying to fight aliens invading the Slums, etc. Players can kill wildlife encroaching into the city for XP, or drug addicts in the Slums not being invaded. Leveling from say 1-10 should mostly happen from quest XP rewards that give Lore rather then grinding mobs.

At the end, you can be tasked to run to an adjacent area, like rome for omnis, to deliver a report. the other 5 whom-pahs and grids are offline due to the attack so the player can only take a 1 way ride out of the instance into the game world.

Substitute Tir/Athens/Newland/Lastditch as well as factions as needed to create the experience for the 3 factions.

--

Overall, nice work.

Thanks and had I not already have posted a suggestion almost Identical to that I would be sticky'ing it up top.. you did tho add to it and I will be updating the following with some of your points and suggestions later today when I get a few moments to mull over it all

Quote Originally Posted by Xaun View Post
    <From above regarding leaving the newbie island>
    When you leave newbie island you arrive in a orientation room and are greeted by a NPC representative of each of the selected factions "parties" For OT you have the divisions, Clan has the Legacy Clans and Neutrals have Local Governments. Each would have a bit about themself and what they stand for which would then let you "sign up" with them. This would then select your starting backyard. Make it like a mini-instance that gears you up with some symbolic RP items and a bit of sided useful gear to show visible support for your side such as an Omni-Pol officers uniform or med suit or other similar type of items that would give a bit of guidance to a new player helping them to have more fun quickly and be drawn in to the game world and storyline.

What would be really fun is if the actual ARKs randomly showed up in this orientation room such as having a guest apperance by Sir Tristram or by Simon Silverstone just to say.. "Greetings.." and then leave.. you have no idea the impact this would have on players..

An example:
    • Knights of Avalon supporters arrive in a Camelot Backyard (where higher level Knight supporters would be encouraged to go to find likeminded new recruits) Would be presented with quests that have a "Moral code" similar to what a Knight follower would find "good" to do to level up. Could be saving people etc.
    • Sentinels start in Tir and hunt down some neuts collaborating with Omnis in a backyard..
    • OT would have say "Omni-Mining" and would select the appropriate starting location with a backyard in it oriented around that division.
    • Omni-Pol would start you in say Omni-HQ etc..
    • Neutrals would be presented with the "flavors and themes" within and relevant to each of the local governments.. Borealis for now might be joining a freedom fighters brigade executing little strikes against Omni to free borealis or..
    • Newland City which would have a totally different view such as strengthening the defense a quest might be finding and returning X of Y ammunitions crates etc..

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKali View Post
    A very big bump for the collation of those ideas.

And a debump for forcing a newbie to choose a side before they've had any kind of chance what so ever to meet the ingame community to decide if the reality of the factions matches up with the NPC talk. At least when eveyone is a neut together on the island, odler players rolling up alts can explain factional differences/attitudes/communities/perks/whatnot before the decision has been made. This is especially important for losing that irreversible neutrality.
    Thank you! Well I actually have to disagree on the second part. I would prefer MORE guidance in those first few days on RK with some very cool instanced content for the user that adds on to their choice of faction or their choice to remain neutral.

I guess what you could complain about is that as a Neutral you don't have the same level of representation that Clan and Omni does in that you lack the "Extras" while on Newbie island. However it is arguable that this is at least a fair assessment of what it really is like to be neutral as there is alot of missing end game phats "token boards/etc".

Since the OP is so long as it is I am going to move my newest suggestion up to the um.. 4th post I think it is from my post #23 of this thread for review. Then if it passes move it in to the top 3 area.
    Last edited by Xaun; Feb 5th, 2008 at 23:17:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaun View Post
    Thank you! Well I actually have to disagree on the second part. I would prefer MORE guidance in those first few days on RK with some very cool instanced content for the user that adds on to their choice of faction or their choice to remain neutral.
    I was referring to Trousers' suggestion that you have to choose if you're going Omni/Clan before you get in-game to the startup areas, not your suggestion where you mention it after the newbie isle (unless I've rather drastically misunderstood that you wrote). I want more guidance too but my emphasis is on this guidance being from the players of those factions because in an MMO like this, it'll be more about what the communities of each faction are like than what fluff spiel some NPC is going to give you and what label is attached to the phatz. Because you can't ever switch back to being neutral as well, I wanted the opportunity for an informed decision to come before that initial choice is made.

The way it stands now, with the Omni/Clan/Neutral people you talk to whilst on the island to decide what you're doing, I actually like. There's the chance to talk to players rolling alts and find out a bit more on the reality of the server's factional communities. Adding in all the faction-specific instanced newbie-experience-continuation stuff after is a nice idea IMO.
    This is my disillusioned, cynical and lazy Engi rights activist account.
    Quitter092 Placard holder
    Ophiuchus 220/30/70
    Bombqueen 75 frewb
    Lots of random non engis.

Until pets behave reliably, their stats are irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKali View Post
    I was referring to Trousers' suggestion that you have to choose if you're going Omni/Clan before you get in-game to the startup areas, not your suggestion where you mention it after the newbie isle (unless I've rather drastically misunderstood that you wrote). I want more guidance too but my emphasis is on this guidance being from the players of those factions because in an MMO like this, it'll be more about what the communities of each faction are like than what fluff spiel some NPC is going to give you and what label is attached to the phatz. Because you can't ever switch back to being neutral as well, I wanted the opportunity for an informed decision to come before that initial choice is made.

The way it stands now, with the Omni/Clan/Neutral people you talk to whilst on the island to decide what you're doing, I actually like. There's the chance to talk to players rolling alts and find out a bit more on the reality of the server's factional communities. Adding in all the faction-specific instanced newbie-experience-continuation stuff after is a nice idea IMO.
    Oooh I totally misunderstood you.. xD oops! Yeah ok I agree with that! It was late for me and I missed the part in his post about chosing a side in the ICC... doh!

Quote Originally Posted by Bugzybug View Post
    .pmub
    lol!
    Last edited by Xaun; Feb 6th, 2008 at 17:52:18.

bumppp :O

Prouver que j'ai raison serait accorder que je puisse avoir tort.

bump
    R.I.P Mafia1337. You were to young to be knocking on Heavens door.

Zolic
    Infizicator
    WillItSmash

Cut down download file.

Expansion maps removed, intro movie removed, sounds removed.

I don't play with sounds, I prefer my own. I don't appreciate the intro movie and when I am going portable (USB flash drive), I don't like wasting space with the expansion maps but also I don't like having to have both client versions, so maybe an option to make it most portable when installing to a portable drive?

Edit: It is a "General Game Enhancements:"!!1!
    Last edited by Jenshai; Feb 8th, 2008 at 08:05:13.

I love this thread, wasn't a waste of time reading it whatsoever, i think if Funcom are wanting to make more profit from AO when they launch DX9 compatibility they should read Xuan's post and fix/change the game..

Noob island suggestions are great, the intro movie sucks.. it's like 640 x 480 resoloution (j/k but pretty bad) instantly you think it's gona look bad, all about first impressions, Give more designs to the surgey clinic or start of AO.. make it more indepth, eye colour, face shape eyes/nose/mouth eye brows etc..

Add more people to arrival hall, with other real players running around, let them do some mini quests to find out how to get their ticket to rubi-ka.. (what planet was arrival hall on? can this be revisited.. new planets space travel AO has still alot of potential.)

AO was advanced for it's time now they removed alot of in depth things from noob island AI weapons etc an Implant guide would be nice, all this creates interest..
    People stuck around and played when it was advanced (noob island) people now come from other mmo's and have something they can compare it to just don't be another WOW style kind of game, must be lvl 6 to equip.. wow twinking amazing, i think AO set the benchmark on mmo's and still could do if they upgraded/updated features to current times.

Some new emotes would be great to the game, new GUI is needed indeed a new redesign would be best to get it looking sharpe and smooth and keeping everything in place looking tidy.

Apartments, rework the system, make them viewable outside or something new skyscrapers with good views neon lights and all this space age technology also you have to pay a weekly fee (rent/mortgage/buying lump sum) give people bonuses for having one to make it worthwhile owning/renting one so that the economy of AO will spend/get rid of some money (because when items start costing more then 1billion that sucks) 1billion per character could be increased but i think a 1billion limit is good just the economy got out of hand..

I like the idea of new emotes when using different perks that sounds cool, ermmm RK missions could do with a facelift i've been grinding some tokens lately it's depressing looking at the same basic layouts/textures, if you aint got your hud light in those cave missions and it's a find item ouch.

I like the idea of interacting with objects chairs/tables etc... also would be good for apartments, limit the bank space to how much one can have... give people a safe they can use at their apartments/house whatever:P and have the banks sell you more space again to take back some money floating around in AO, *edit* storing money inside your bank too?? items can why not money?

**edit** Also alien invasions of RK i'd not seen or heard of one for absoloutly ages, then yesterday aliens came to omni ent!!! get's me excited still to this day, i think they should come more often, gives some fun to the froob player base when they see aliens coming from out of nowhere, grey or red you stand and fight or run a mile lol... used to be fun

**edit** add cybermail :P so you can post items to other players around RK instead of meeting them to swap to another toon or w/e and havingto journey there in the first place, it's 29th century right, no fedex?

Also Auction house... items rot on GMS because people charge to much for some items farm cities credit sellers you name it it's either buy at their price or do without, i'd like to see some auction house so you can put items on sale for a length of time with a min/period of time and then a buyout why not.. also keep GMS and playershops too since they already exist, it would bring down the econmy the prices on certain items make it challenging to sell at overpriced prices :P while other players get a bargain and people make quick sales.

Remove the zoning, open out some buildings so alot of people can run in and out of places without having to zone, whether it's RK or SL.. i think an open world like this is good, and been able to enter more buildings/places makes exploring things more fun homely and entertaining.

I love all the ideas people have put together and thanks xaun for putting them all in the same thread, i really wish FC took this oppertunity to revamp AO and get back some players they lost over the years to other mmo's..

please advertise too... dx9 new engine, like what eve did.. We upgraded our hardware have you, alert people of AO who are bored of VG/WOW/LOTR/GW etc...
    to me it's like a relaunch of AO, if Funcom are serious about making money from AO and extending it's lifespan now is the moment to do so, i think they've missed alot of oppertune times in the past.
    Last edited by Legion84; Feb 7th, 2008 at 17:40:16.

thanks hun <3 And yeah I agree

Xaun your brilliant
    FC should hire you, then we'd all be happy :P

I agree that the BYs need to be re-used. Another reason to bring them back is that most orgs have a BY that they predominitaly hang out in. Its a great way for new people to get into an org. Especially if you need to hang out in that BY for a while runnng missions and such. That will mean you have interaction with the people of the orgs that use those BYs as places to hang out.
    Big "T"
    President of Nocturnal Fear

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Thwarn View Post
    Xaun your brilliant
    FC should hire you, then we'd all be happy :P
    Put it up to vote again?

They hire most of their GMs Xaun, so if you can keep in the structure and be very very good and work so very very hard in such and obviously idea, overall picture, graphics design sort of way ... then you can get a job at AO as a wweal GM and wear a funny smelly gween suit!

After that total Funcom domination and we all lub j00!

(More than Mr. "I was a n00b " *cough* still are *cough* *runs from Forum and keeps eye out for heavy set Americans with false Italian accents*)

Quote Originally Posted by Legion84 View Post
    Apartments, rework the system, make them viewable outside or something new skyscrapers with good views neon lights and all this space age technology also you have to pay a weekly fee (rent/mortgage/buying lump sum) give people bonuses for having one to make it worthwhile owning/renting one so that the economy of AO will spend/get rid of some money (because when items start costing more then 1billion that sucks) 1billion per character could be increased but i think a 1billion limit is good just the economy got out of hand..

[...]

I like the idea of interacting with objects chairs/tables etc... also would be good for apartments, limit the bank space to how much one can have... give people a safe they can use at their apartments/house whatever:P and have the banks sell you more space again to take back some money floating around in AO, *edit* storing money inside your bank too?? items can why not money?
    This would be quite ace indeed, been wishing more use for apartments ever since I got one. Now it's mostly a place to visit once in a while to dump some funny decorations and it's bit cumbersome to make people visit it.

Grid access in and out (same spot which takes you to tower field or org city) - or at least in vicinity of every "residential zone", maybe some little bonus like org HQ gives, small fee for rent (like org tax or whatever that'd be deducted every day), bank access, maybe a "personal tradeskill terminal", same thing like in HQ's but smaller bonus .. Lots of possibilities there IMO.
    220 Crat, 216 MP, 174 Trader, 165 Shade

effing bump dood
    Quote Originally Posted by Psythe View Post
    You kinda look like Criss Angel the MIND FREAK!!!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast