Thread: Crashing at logo (on load, after login) - One account?!

Crashing at logo (on load, after login) - One account?!

I have several AO accounts, one of them (a froob) I can not get past the AO logo while the game is loading. I logged it a couple days ago with no problems. I've tried petitioning, the GM was able to log in and left it at that. This is really starting to bug me out. Also - there are 7 characters, in different locations, which all crash the same way.

What I've tried so far:

* New drivers
    * Delete prefs
    * Reload default GUI (although it wasnt custom)
    * Load at different resolutions/fullscreen vs window/color depth/display driver settings
    * Desktop resolution/color depth
    * Compatibility mode options (desperate)
    * Petitioned..
    * Virus scan / spyware scan (both negative)

I'm downloading a new copy of AO now as well.. Any ideas? Has this happened to anyone before? I can log into all my other accounts just fine.. ahhh!

7 chars on that account, that means you can create one more, right?
    In that case, rename the current Prefs folder again, remove any 3rd party/custom stuff you might have, GUI, maps, scripts, everything. Basically, strip down the client to the state it should be after a fresh install. Try to log in on any of the non-affected accounts to make sure the client itself works, then delete the new Prefs folder which was created during this test login.

Then create a new temporary char on the affected account and try to log in. If it crashes, it has to be some damage to the account on server side no matter what that specific GM said. Petition again.
    If it doesn't crash, try to log in with all of the other chars on that account. If any or all of them still crash, they must have something in common, like all possessing one specific item, being in the same zone/instance/area, having a certain buff running on them, etc. Something that causes the client to crash when it tries to apply/display/whatever something specific to those chars only; which may result from some client side database corruption with a very limited scope. Or, it still could be damage to the account affecting the chars created earlier, but not the new one you've just created.

"All things point to that they didn't play to win, but for the game itself and to play well. ... Later in their evolution, they forgot all about playing and having fun. When their corrupted minds only cared for what new ways they could gain power, there was no room for the simple things in life."
    - One Who Will Always Listen
    "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."
    - Librarian Isador Aikos, W40k: Dawn of War
    "If you want to make enemies... try to change something."
    - Adam Jensen, Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Quote Originally Posted by Honorbound View Post
    7 chars on that account, that means you can create one more, right?
    In that case, rename the current Prefs folder again, remove any 3rd party/custom stuff you might have, GUI, maps, scripts, everything. Basically, strip down the client to the state it should be after a fresh install. Try to log in on any of the non-affected accounts to make sure the client itself works, then delete the new Prefs folder which was created during this test login.

Then create a new temporary char on the affected account and try to log in. If it crashes, it has to be some damage to the account on server side no matter what that specific GM said. Petition again.
    If it doesn't crash, try to log in with all of the other chars on that account. If any or all of them still crash, they must have something in common, like all possessing one specific item, being in the same zone/instance/area, having a certain buff running on them, etc. Something that causes the client to crash when it tries to apply/display/whatever something specific to those chars only; which may result from some client side database corruption with a very limited scope. Or, it still could be damage to the account affecting the chars created earlier, but not the new one you've just created.
    Tried this, didn't work.. They have nothing in common, 2 are in newb isle, another ~5 are spread around rk. All bank toons.. The only thing they have in common is a lot of creds..

For anyone else who has this specific problem, I fixed it by: REFORMATTING

weak...

Quote Originally Posted by Mahdi007 View Post
    For anyone else who has this specific problem, I fixed it by: REFORMATTING

weak...
    All that says is, there was a file that was the problem. It does not say that you -had- to reformat to fix it.
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    Quote Originally Posted by randomalpha View Post
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

I know a guy that crashes on logo screen if he has Skype running in the background. . .

Could that of been it?
    Fastest Contact: Northadvncd "Agptaxi" Bankterminal
    Created: 2005-08-07 The AGP Cancelled: 2012-02-11
    AGPSHADOWMA2202568[P][E] AGPSHADOOMNT2142650[P][E]
    AGPECKOSOL1502049[P] AGPATLASDOC1502023[P]
    JURKENF150207[P][P2] JWRKENF270207 JUURKMP600614[P] HANZELSOL1001028[P]

Similar issues in Coast of Peace here too. Zone to our Org City & bam, insta LD & then unable to login again.

Mucho annoying.
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Hacre View Post
    All that says is, there was a file that was the problem. It does not say that you -had- to reformat to fix it.
    Wasn't an AO file, what file was it? Who wants to find out. Reformatting is obviously the lazy approach, I'm not denying that. But if AO wouldn't open that one account on my computer with a clean uninstall/reinstall of the program then it probably was pretty unique to my system.

Quote Originally Posted by AGPEcko View Post
    I know a guy that crashes on logo screen if he has Skype running in the background. . .

Could that of been it?
    I don't use skype, and it wasn't all accounts only 1, so I doubt it. Thanks though..

Quote Originally Posted by mettagirl View Post
    Similar issues in Coast of Peace here too. Zone to our Org City & bam, insta LD & then unable to login again.

Mucho annoying.
    Not the same issue though, mine was pretty specific and involved several zones. Probably a GM can help you in your case. They were fast to reply to my petition (crash loop).

have you tried to send a petition yet with the message that your chars are in a crash loop at startup?

similar thing happend to me before but with only one char.