Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never able to get in the Groove

Never able to get in the Groove

I have been playing since around 2003. My first toon is an Engi and hes now 213 (after about 10 years). I am completly in love with the Engi prof but because Engis were never desirable to team with back in the day I often got bored and would roll another toon.

Now days it seems Engi is very desirable but I cant seem to get in the groove. What could I be missing here? My gear is ok but not great. I like to solo and team. Raid and mission but I hate PvP. Am I just working the wrong prof for me or am I just in need of a makeover.

Well, i have gotten my engi to 217 now, in pretty lame 300 ofab and a Hand mortar ( yes still the mortar) i feel great about the toon, great survival now, pets do nastylicious damage and when i pop Medallion i just laugh ( literally) for the whole duration as i chain those 4k+ crits with my pets doing their own crit fest. I stopped trimming for taunt and bought a taunt device instead since i am sturdier than my current pets and heal more from coon perks and simple ass-tanking.
    What are you looking for in the engineer?
    Last edited by Notcrattey; Today at 05:51:45. Reason: Didn't actually edit it, was a mistake!

Well Im not sure. I may not even be interested in the Engi anymore. I fell in love with the whole crafting aspect of an Engi. Hell I even got 2 levels (well all but the last point) just by trade skilling. I like having the big freaking robots and all.

What Im looking for now is something I can go out and solo stuff with. Im not talking everything in game but I want to be able to solo quite a bit. The reson this is important is because simply put there are so few players these days and finding teams is kinda hard sometimes.

In a nut shell I want to solo a lot. I want to be desirable in a team. I hate PvP. When I solo I want to feel that there is a high probability of success but I like it to be exciting enough knowing I could fail.

Does that help? Maybe I need to move on from the Engi, maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Serchin View Post
    In a nut shell I want to solo a lot. I want to be desirable in a team. I hate PvP. When I solo I want to feel that there is a high probability of success but I like it to be exciting enough knowing I could fail.

Does that help? Maybe I need to move on from the Engi, maybe not.
    Make a Crat.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

There is nothing challenging in pvm anymore. I think you can solo everything with any profession to be honest.
    "The Tessargi Oppressor" 220/30 RK1 - P E

Lazy: down with Tessargi The Oppressor! he is literally a Frankensteinian monster made from combining Gadaffi Sadam Hitler Stalin and George Bush into one powerhungry oppressor of the free world.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    Make a Crat.
    ^This. Trust me, learn how to play Crat & you won't look back.

I have 13 of 'em now, of various levels.
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Aiken View Post
    I have 13 of 'em now, of various levels.
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp proc them!

Crat is pretty much all the best parts of engineer, trader, and meta made into a profession that can solo just about everything, give you total domination in PvM and hella fun to play in PvP. My personal favorite memory is back when inf hard-s were the best sk - stacking a team with DD and pulling 4-5-6 into a single room, getting them all 2-3 bars low, blowing the kill them all macro then exp perking? Ho. So good. So.. So good. No other MMO has ever come close to that type of game play. If that was a game in itself you'd see me in beta day one :P
    Grenadearchy Online
    Takun - Grenade Engineer [Equipt] - Crit Monster - Overlord of Mortar Kombat
    Grenades - Grenade Engineer [Equipt] - Leveling Monster - Advisor of Mortar Kombat

Grenade Infos
    Pure DPS - [Setup] - 1701 Fling to cap Sloth - 1% crit is equal to ~28+ damage
    Agg/Def: 100% - 1440 Nano Init to insta cast Isotos - 150 Ranged Init to cap Sloth
    Agg/Def: 0% - 2640 Nano Init to insta cast Isotos - 1650 Ranged Init to cap Sloth

Quote Originally Posted by Takun View Post
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp proc them!
    ROFL! Thanks for the new addition to my siggy

Likely a logon or two too
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Funny thing is I have a 218 Crat so I guess I'll take all you guys advice. I have always enjoyed the Crat but I guess the Engi held a special place in my heart. I'll focus on the Crat and in spare time level the Engi just to say I did it after 9 years lol.

Thank you all!!!

Set your engie up as a pure DD PVM raid toon

It's lots of fun to pull out when your crat isn't needed!
    Manicmouse AR SMGs - 220/30 Clan Solitus Soldier - General of New Order
    Lawmaker Pistols - 220/30 Clan Atrox Bureaucrat | Sellyoursoul Shotgun - 220/30 Clan Nanomage Trader
    Adiee Pistols - 220/30 Clan Solitus Doctor | Boltcutter MA - 220/30 Clan Atrox Engineer | Anorexia - 220/30 Clan Nanomage Enforcer

Lazy: the caste system of ao today is clan > omni > wildlife > neuts.

Gatester: Crats have the best toolset for supporting a team in PVE.
    Aramsunat: WRONG! The team supports the crat if the crat is unable to solo (which is rare)!

Once you go Crat you never go back.

That's priceless Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Once you go Crat you never go back.
    SO true!

'Crat <3

I think you all lost your minds!

I finaly got a crat up to tl4 this week and i hate it so much im going to go roll another engie on the other account so i can play that with the crat on follow.
    Quote Originally Posted by egadsrk2 View Post
    In the case of this little drama, Party A created a situation. Party B perpetuated it with name calling. Party A finished it with violence...
    I was "party A"

never really play as an Engi....perhaps i'll roll an alt....call her....

STELLA (HOPE NAMES NOT TAKEN)
    "Don't think...feel, it's like a finger pointing towards the moon"

Quote Originally Posted by Uaintseenme View Post
    I think you all lost your minds!

I finally got a crat up to tl4 this week and i hate it so much im going to go roll another engie on the other account so i can play that with the crat on follow.
    That's not so uncommon experience. Took me 1.5 year to get mine to tl5.

I think pre-tl3 Crat is the absolutely WORST experience you can have in AO. Pets are just awful, evades are non existent yet, charms barely even work and half of debuffs never even land in SL. It sucks so bad, you cant even really twink out of it.

All that goes away gradually, and by the time you hit tl, you'll never want to play anything else, especially now when there is Carlita.

this isnt my first crat, my last one got to 210 many years ago before they "fixed" sl charms.
    at that point i logged t off and never played it again.

Im guessin 160+ is where this is going to start to get bearable to play.
    Quote Originally Posted by egadsrk2 View Post
    In the case of this little drama, Party A created a situation. Party B perpetuated it with name calling. Party A finished it with violence...
    I was "party A"

I have no idea what your both talking about - crat was easier and more enjoyable to level than my doctor or my trader (most likely the worst leveling experience in game). Perk team auras, cast baton, charm something with arms, pet attack and burst. Pretty much the same thing everyone else does at that level... not to mention your actually wanted in a team for the exp, rested, aao and mob control.

Although that was quite a few years ago when the population was quite a lot bigger, prob balls to level anything at any level now - you have no one to team with. When you juxtapose that with how it was 4-5 years ago it is quite depressing. Inf garden used to be full of people and you could get a group for SK consistently - hell you could do missions all day if you wanted to.
    Grenadearchy Online
    Takun - Grenade Engineer [Equipt] - Crit Monster - Overlord of Mortar Kombat
    Grenades - Grenade Engineer [Equipt] - Leveling Monster - Advisor of Mortar Kombat

Grenade Infos
    Pure DPS - [Setup] - 1701 Fling to cap Sloth - 1% crit is equal to ~28+ damage
    Agg/Def: 100% - 1440 Nano Init to insta cast Isotos - 150 Ranged Init to cap Sloth
    Agg/Def: 0% - 2640 Nano Init to insta cast Isotos - 1650 Ranged Init to cap Sloth

You can have the best of both worlds, just make and level up a crat and an engy. That's what I did.
    Gonzorage 220/27/70 Keeper - Circle of Notum
    Klonopin 220/30/70 Crat
    Myham 219/26 Engie

"It never got weird enough for me"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson 1937 - 2005 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Takun View Post
    I have no idea what your both talking about - crat was easier and more enjoyable to level than my doctor or my trader (most likely the worst leveling experience in game). Perk team auras, cast baton, charm something with arms, pet attack and burst. Pretty much the same thing everyone else does at that level... not to mention your actually wanted in a team for the exp, rested, aao and mob control.

Although that was quite a few years ago when the population was quite a lot bigger, prob balls to level anything at any level now - you have no one to team with. When you juxtapose that with how it was 4-5 years ago it is quite depressing. Inf garden used to be full of people and you could get a group for SK consistently - hell you could do missions all day if you wanted to.
    Doctor is the greatest experience in the game. Wait... you mean this is a thread full of people arguing for their main professions? Imagine that
    Hellcom "Stillian" Receptionist | Eternalist | Squad Commander of Primal Evolution
    Agent "Lilmiz007" Isbeak | Finalizer | Squad Commander of Primal Evolution
    Style "Heldale" Attack | General | Squad Commander of Primal Evolution

|| Primal Evolution ||

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast