Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HOWTO: Play AO if your network admin has blocked all gaming ports

Quote Originally Posted by Stick View Post
    huh?... how it is your problem on how avon is trying to bypass his firewall?
    read what I quoted and what I said.

And it isnt avons firewall, its someone elses and my guess is that this someone else have that firewall there for some reason.
    I wish avon all the best in his struggle to play ao or whatever, but the idea of ppl learning how to bypass firewalls for downloading and connecting whatever they find interesting is not very comforting.

I am not talkin about avon, I am talkin about lots of avons sitting inside lots of secured systems. Of course you and Avon might know exactly what you are doing so no harm is done, most ppl, however dont.
    And telling such ppl "use it on your own risk" is, in fact, a bit silly. Cause they have no idea what the risk is..

i did read what you quoted and i also get your point.
    however i know cases for the ISP is unable to provide a proper config for their routers and that meant problems for a lot of people (myself included - happened jan last year). when the ISP is unable to solve the problems, even if the contract wasn't stating anything about closed ports, then i'm not willing to spend my time and money just browsing webpages (in my case the only open ports were the ones for http and https). we contacted the supplier several times and took them about 45 days to fix the issue and unlocking other ports than the ones mentioned before. i didn't have the luxury of going with another ISP since there wasn't another one around this parts, so i chose the routing method. i have used my own home server to do the routing, so i didn't go through a 3rd party server (avon unfortunately doesn't have that option).
    why i said that i don't care if you're using this method at work or not? well, because i think we spoon feed retards a lot now and if people are not able to take some responsability for their actions at the work place and don't see that this might create problems for them and others, they do deserve to get caught and fired. darwin's law ftw.

Disclaimer: kids, please don't use this at work since it might get you fired. the author of this post and the other posters in the thread are not responsible for you being a retard and geting fired over this.
    Oltcit - 220/24/69 troxie enf -= Proud General of Deadly Whispers =- RK1
    Roflcopterz - 220/20/60 troxie nubstick wielder

if you check the other thread by avon, it clearly states that he didn't want to use this at work. it was angrygoatbaah who started the work use idea.

i agree that it is retarded to do it at work, i'd rather not give up a good pay for playing a few extra hours on a game. frankly, i don't care if someone uses this at work or at home, it is their problem. the point was to offer a solution to by-pass a firewall that blocks the ports used to play AO.
    regarding on how secure or insecure this is, i'm still waiting for more secure alternatives from you guys and i'm sure avon would like to hear them as well.
    wrong. the title of this thread reads: "HOWTO: Play AO if your network admin has blocked all gaming ports"

where else, other than work (oh fine i forgot school for those kiddies) would you run into this???

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Well, admins don't watch jack sht. There are expensive huge software packs that even monitor how much you pee :P But I am not sure anyone would be that sick to analyze MB's worh of logs of packets. Not to mention, wouldn't all the data account for sockscap or the freedom program instead of AO?
    You're correct, I don't sit there and watch incoming/outgoing traffic as it happens and I never pour through log files, BUT those big software packs you mentioned will flag PCs that either a.) try to access content that is not approved or b.) that exhibits unusual behavior (i.e. continually access an undocumented address).

Most of the time the undocumented address is nothing, but every once in a while you run into a "smart guy" that has everything going through a proxy server. On occassion they are easy to identify (most are setup like proxy1.aservername.edu etc.).

In any case, when a PC is flagged we remote into the PC and see what is going on. That is when all your fun stuff gets taken away and your group policy is put under lockdown if we find anything. That's also when the administrator would find AO installed and put in a call to your supervisor.

Of course, all of the above depends on how lax your company computer use policy is and how much you suck up to the IT department
    Rootcommand Level 219/28 Omni Solitus Fixer
    Diosdemuerte Level 213/18 Omni Solitus Soldier
    Dicenslice Level 220/21 Omni Atrox Keeper

~ Proud Member of Newcomers Alliance ~

Disclaimer: kids, please don't use this at work since it might get you fired. the author of this post and the other posters in the thread are not responsible for you being a retard and geting fired over this.
    You know, I still dont believe you get my point..

Stick/Avon... I see your problems and my earlier comments were directed mainly at those who were looking to do this at work, not yourselves.

HTTP_Tunnel is a pretty reputable company (i actually subscribe to their paid service). I haven't noticed any spyware coming through their software, so they're a pretty safe source, but then again.... it's the whole sending user information through a proxy....

Since Avon currently is working, we're just looking into a more secure way for the data to be transfered. I haven't looked into it, but does anyone know the auth. protocol AO's using? The whole "not secure" might be a mute point if the authentication protocol is highly encrypted in and of itself.

Stick---
    why i said that i don't care if you're using this method at work or not? well, because i think we spoon feed retards a lot now and if people are not able to take some responsability for their actions at the work place and don't see that this might create problems for them and others, they do deserve to get caught and fired. darwin's law ftw.

I whole heartedly agree with what you stated.

Quote Originally Posted by angrygoatbaah View Post
    wrong. the title of this thread reads: "HOWTO: Play AO if your network admin has blocked all gaming ports"

where else, other than work (oh fine i forgot school for those kiddies) would you run into this???
    I suggest you introduce your skin to the sun, mhmm? perhaps?

The age card is for suckahs.

Quote Originally Posted by angrygoatbaah View Post

read my post, i just gave you a real situation where i have encountered this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dummy View Post
    You know, I still dont believe you get my point..
    i do get it, but please also read the paragraph right before the one you quoted. this actually reminds me of a quote: "it's not guns who kill people, it's the stupid people who use them".
    i work for a company where the IT security is a major issue. that is why i actually have 2 computers to use instead of 1. since my work also involves using the internet, i get that privilege at work. for all the hush-hush stuff i use my second computer which is only connected to the intranet. this is absolutely the only way to have a secure network. everything else is a pile of bull-crap. if at any point your data goes through public or 3rd party lines, you can get hacked.

i do get it, but please also read the paragraph right before the one you quoted. this actually reminds me of a quote: "it's not guns who kill people, it's the stupid people who use them".
    i work for a company where the IT security is a major issue. that is why i actually have 2 computers to use instead of 1. since my work also involves using the internet, i get that privilege at work. for all the hush-hush stuff i use my second computer which is only connected to the intranet. this is absolutely the only way to have a secure network. everything else is a pile of bull-crap. if at any point your data goes through public or 3rd party lines, you can get hacked.
    Well, whatever.
    And if you want to go philosophical about the matter, your previous statements about "dont care" and "spoonfeeding retards" as you help ppl out with how-to-bypass-security guides, while you at the same time asks for ppl to be able to take some responsibility for their actions..

But after all, its not my problem. Whatever this bypasstool is beeing used to, any destroyed/stolen datas or corrupted systems will instafix itself the moment someone is fired.

Have a nice day.

Well, whatever.
    And if you want to go philosophical about the matter, your previous statements about "dont care" and "spoonfeeding retards" as you help ppl out with how-to-bypass-security guides, while you at the same time asks for ppl to be able to take some responsibility for their actions..
    obviously you missed the point. telling someone how to fix an issue is not the same as spoon feeding retards. spoon feeding retards in this case is hiding a perfectly good info because someone might use it to break the law / company policy. two different things.

But after all, its not my problem. Whatever this bypasstool is beeing used to, any destroyed/stolen datas or corrupted systems will instafix itself the moment someone is fired.
    that's the spirit.

Sorry for necro post, but the link in point 5 of the 1st post is broken. What are those settings for sockscap server?

Waybackmachine.org to the rescue.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

Thank you, waybackmachine!))

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12