Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Post your n00bie stories

I never realized how noobish I was until I read this thread... then, I remembered...

My first character was a froob NT. I was in th Arrival Hall, trying to decide what side to be. I decided to be neutral, because I didn't want to get involved with the conflict..

Anyway, I thought you had to go through the Jobe exit at the Arrival Hall in order to be neutral. So many times I tried to go through, each time getting the "You need to have the Shadowlands expansion pack to use this feature!" message. I was a bit angry, until I decided to go through the other exit.

So, now I was on noob island. It took me a day and a half to level to five. I was also stuck on the beach part of the island, because I though that if you go past the brown tunnel you leave the island and anyone can attack you.

I also did not know how to use nanos. So, i went a few levels as a nanoless nanotechnician.

I then went on to meet another newcomer who was my level. We teamed and he accidentally used a nano. He told me it made 'fireflies'.

Eventually I learned that the brown tunnel was not bad, how to use nanos, and how to get off Noob Island. When I was off, I was stuck talking in vicinity. I didn't know how to switch channels. While I was stuck in vicinity, the friend of mine from earlier somehow switched to OT Shopping 1-50. I wanted to know how he got to that channel, and he wanted to know how to get off. It took a while, but we finally figured out how channels worked.

The scary part, I went on with this character to found an org... still my current org

lol i love this thread <3

my first charecter was a n00bie agent. when i was about to die i thought Shadow Veil would help, then i noticed it only buffs concealment :P

Unhappy

also, i was at the formans killing guards, when someone started KSing, so i decided to do somethin else. i was chasing someone in a BIG mech and he/she/it didnt notice. when i was chasing him, i noticed a shop by formans that i never noticed, but it was there since i started :P
    Last edited by Colares; Nov 10th, 2007 at 18:12:10.

My first character was a 2he advy lol

I was such a noob then :P

Cool my first toon experience....

I was new to gaming.... i had mastered table top pacman in 1984 that was my lifes dream .. lol
    My first toon was an advy... i got into some really nice teams with some awesome players... we went from noobie island, to the subway, to ToTW... somewhere in the middle/end of ToTW, at lvl 55.. I somehow obtained aggro ( which obviously was a shocker seeing i was hitting for 14 and 22 .. a whole nother issue there)... a grey cultist in the hall.. one hit... i was looking at reclaim.
    Team mates all did the normal.. " ???", "wtf", "what hit you" , "what armor are you wearing " .. i replied.. "Cultist,, hit you for 231 points of "some kind of damage" they said... 1 hit? i said yeah 1 hit... and as far as the armor... it was noobie island special...
    after that moment i realized that body dev was something you put up. along with your basic skills.. seeing i liked my armor, i was never planning to change it, until it appeard damaged.. lol
    3 years later... and a whole new force of toons.. not many really...
    220 shade, 145 MA, 127 Fixer and various toons just short of lvl 100...
    all with raised body dev
    The wonders of it all, and the kindness of strangers to keep you alive, and you know they are wondering why your HP bar is dropping 50 to 75% at a time..
    now the weapon issue.... i was using a newbie island bought no drop smg... and on the island it was kicking some newbie mob butts.. and also in the subway... no one said anything about it.... i had stopped raising everything because it was where it needed to be for the items i had on at the time.
    it scares me now to think... i once thought i could go to lvl 220 with the same ql 3 armor... no drop newbie smg with "burst"... lol... now watch, i will have night mares... but hey... my armor matched!
    *footnote*
    I would like to thank each an everyone of you who was there to guide me along the way from noobier to less noobish...

*Scheli

oh so thats how you spell your name...
    Russm-Chlorobi-Russaneer-Russypoo-Ivanmcnauty-Secksmachine-Annoyedpocky-Plooshka

Scheli the Shade strikes again hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Meschel View Post
    it scares me now to think... i once thought i could go to lvl 220 with the same ql 3 armor... no drop newbie smg with "burst"...
    I suspect I may have teamed a fixer with your old setup in an Inf mish last week... :P
    Gurudee : 220/20 Doc - General of Pantheon. Eater of Waffulz.
    Cannon "Madblasta" Fodder : 220/24 Soldier - Pewpewpew!
    Ughh "Madmongo" Breakstuffs : 220/20 Enf - GOMANGO!
    Madvocate : 150/15 Crat - In your toolshed. Charming your daughter.

Ultimate N00b that I wil never forget...

I love this thread!
    I’ve been playing AO for a little over a year, since my boss and a coworker has gotten me into the game and their guild.

My very first toon was a Shade who is still a level 7 to this very day. I decided against playing a Shade since there are no real org benefits other than damage. So I decided to roll a Keeper since, there were no active Keepers in the guild at the time.

I hopped onto voice chat and teamed with my boss (level 6 Doc and I was level 10). I was told Keepers are good DD’s….then how do you explain why level 6 Doc consistently OD’s a level 10 keeper with just the starter weapons? All I remember was, “Zeph, you suck.”

I thought selling the gems for one thousand credits was HUGE money! I remember saving 200K from selling loot and thinking, “I’M RICH!! Now I can buy all the cool armour the JAME Scientist has!”

Then my boss handed me 5 million credits….., “WTF? !? Where did you get all this money???” He just laughed at me and said not to waste my money on the Sundance Stuff.

Then my boss gave me a low QL Kyr’Ozch Sword, and a full set of Carbonum and several empty bags…. “WTF?!? This is awesome! Where did you get this? This stuff must be super expensive! How am I going to repay you!” He just laughed at me and told me not to worry about it. It’s not a lot of money and the gear is cheap. Anyhow, once you become stronger, YOU will be helping ME.

I was quite impressed with Ark visits (happened twice) and each time they used emotes and did very well role-playing. I didn’t have very many questions but I needed directions to the garden. Ark *pointed* in a general direction so I proceed after I say farewell. I spent so much time running and killing looking for this “garden” so I can save and not have to run all over the place when I die. I spent hours looking for this stupid “garden” and I remember thinking that Ark was a liar! The people I asked in game either ignored me or told me the same thing, “Go that way.”

My boss was away on holidays so I couldn’t get help nor have I been invited to the guild yet. Besides, I wanted to become more familiar with the game before I join a guild.

After some more exploration, I saw it in the distance… My heart was pounding because I thought my search for the “garden” had come to an end... Lord of the Void with a huge red HP bar! Oh, this is it! The garden must be over yonder and LOTV is the monster you have to kill to get there! It looks strong but I think I can take it on. How in the hell do I get over there! It’s too far to jump! Do I have to buy a gun? Do I need a specific nano? I WANT TO GET TO THE GARDEN! I was adamant that this is the way to get to the “garden”. So I ask people in game if they want to team with me so we can go kill LOTV. All they do is laugh! Why?!?! I wasn’t joking! I was very serious! All I want to do is get into the garden! This game is so frustrating!

Finally, a kind fellow asked, “Which garden do you want to get to?”
    “What?!?! There’s more than one garden?!?” Good God… I don’t care. The closest one.”
    “I can only get to the Redeemed Garden. Is that okay?”
    “Yes, please. I’m just glad that someone can show me the way to the garden.”
    So we proceeded across the Frontier bridge.
    “Do you have a Key or Insignia?”
    “I know I don’t have a key (I only thought that because there was nothing in my inventory that actually LOOKED like a key). What are insignia’s?”
    After he explained, I look through my bags and pull out both kinds. We headed over the Redeemed Statue and I right clicked the Insignia on the statue….

Right then, I knew….. It hit me like a ton of bricks…. I’m THE definition of a n00b. I could have been qualified to have my name pop up on search engines after you typed in n00b.

Now…. Being in the garden was a WHOLE different story altogether:
    My boss returns from vacation and he asked if I wanted to go to the subway.
    “Zeph, you want to go to the subway?”
    “Sure, how do I get there?”
    “You have to get to RK.”
    “What’s RK?”
    “Rubi-Ka.”
    “Oh. How do I get there?”
    “Okay, come to Jobe platform.”
    “Where’s that?”
    “Sigh…. Do you know how to get to the garden?”
    “Yes. Which one?”
    “What do you mean? Your not in Ely already, are you?”
    “Where’s Ely?”
    “It’s the next zone.”
    Now at this point I THOUGHT I knew EXACLTY how to get there, so I reply. “No. I’m not in Ely yet because I haven’t killed the Lord of the Void yet. Let alone, how to even start attacking the LOTV.”
    “What in the HELL are you talking about?”
    “That big dragon with the huge Red HP bar, Lord of the Void. Don’t you have to kill it to get to the next zone?”
    He breaks out laughing.
    “Zeph, you kill me.” And he goes on the explain LOTV.

“Zeph, now go to the garden and wait for me there.”
    So I naturally proceed to the closest garden. And wait patiently.
    “Okay I’m here. Where are you?”
    “I’m on the platform where you save.”
    “So am I. I don’t see you.”
    “I’m standing right next to the girl in the blue dress.”
    “There is no girl in a blue dress.”
    “I think you are in the other garden. That’s why I asked which garden?”
    Then he laughed.
    “I forgot you have access to Aban garden.”
    I head over to the Garden of Thrak he explained to me about Omni-Teks, Clans, Neutrals, Redeemed, and the Unredeemed.
    “Zeph, guild is asking for a little help. I’ll be right back. I’ll meet you at the subway. Just follow these directions. Exit the Frontier Bridge. Jump into the water and you’ll zone in by the entrance to the training grounds. Etc. etc…”
    Of course, I had to exit the wrong spike AND I ran out of insignias. Shortly, thereafter, my boss logged back in.
    “Zeph, where are you?”
    “I went out the wrong spike and getting an insignia.”
    After receiving an insignia I head back into the garden.
    “Okay let’s take the Frontier Bridge exit.”
    “Which one is it? I’ve only memorized the spikes in the Redeemed garden.”
    “What are you talking about?”
    “I’ve spent most of my time in the other garden and only memorized where those spikes go. I’m not familiar with this garden.”
    “I have no idea what you are talking about. Each spike is named. Come over here. Now Left-click this spike. What do you see?”
    “I don’t see anything. Just a spike.”
    “Did you play around with your windows after I told you about how to configure them?”
    “Yes.”
    “Move your windows around.”
    After moving some windows around….there it was…. “Frontier Bridge”
    “OMIGOD! I feel like an idiot. I can’t believe I actually memorized where each spike exits to…..”
    “N00bs.... Zeph, you kill me!”
    All I hear is laughter….

I was in my org city, headed for the player shop, when I saw a large creature standing next to the shop steps.

I was familiar by then with some of the different morphs people could cast -- wolf, sabretooth, pit lizard, and the like -- but I wasn't familiar with this one.

I ran up to ask which morph this was, when I suddenly was attacked for major amounts of damage and ended up at reclaim.

It had just never occurred to me that an actual mob could wander into the city and hang around the shop steps.
    Last edited by tiralee; Dec 14th, 2007 at 22:10:00.

I remember doing the quest for the homeless guy multiple times because I didn't realise lockpicks weren't one-time one-use.

I think I was generally very cunning at hiding my noobosity though, by practicing a technique called figuring it out for myself. Sadly that means I didn't get into many funny situations with other players.
    Roland "Monczeli" Faoláin - 189/11/42 - Assembly

egadsrk2: I can't recall the last time I played this game with pants on.

Just for kicks, me (adv) and my MP friend went to the subway.

I hit dragon form and she hit flight, and she positioned her self right behind my head, so her legs were wrapped around my neck and it looked like she was riding me, like a dragonknight or something lol. Noobs were amazed and wanted to know how to get a dragon mount.

I randomly go to RBB and sit there in tree form and freak people out, good times.
    "Violence is never the answer, but it might be the solution." --me
    "I would fight and die for my country, but not for my government." --me

Former General Of The league of Fabulous Ninjas on RK2
    NINJA POWER!!

Present member of NATO Corps, The Darkside

Wow that made me remember a lot...
    I remember being amazed at those dragons and those flying dudes.
    I remember having sworn about that damn omni that kept killing me in subway, realised it was a mob when I levelled my second toon only
    I remember having been an adv using a bow in totw, and then being amazed at the damage I did when changing to phase blades (that adv still got a few IPs in bow that I haven't resetted, too much sentimentalism ^^)
    I remember I was afraid of what I could find in the zone just next to west athen, tought I was going to an omni area since there weren't anyone for few minutes.
    I remember not understanding what those santa leets were doing at OA entrance and not being able to attack them
    I remember when I first seen a slayer, a rhiwen and a widow, tought they were mobs and ran away
    I remember having met a team of people the day I began, and having played with em since this day, except for those who left inbetween.
    I remember that I grabbed 200ish tokens before I realised they were used for token boards
    I remember being wtf? when someone trained a sandworm on the totw
    I remember getting mad when I upgraded to SL, at about level 50, and seeing those huge amounts of exp, and those shiny landscapes, and all those new things to learn, and... and....

I'm sooo much gonna pay for one more year before that euphory stops

PS: I would give anything to be new to AO again it was great
    Last edited by Traquemort; Jan 10th, 2008 at 23:34:30. Reason: More and more to say as I remember all that :)
    220 RK2 engineer.

Not so long ago, in 2005 I think, I started out as a froob, of course.

• I remember going thru the cool character creation process
    • Coming to noob island and thinking "this is a pretty cool game, the island is neat, I wonder if there is another one too so it'd be a little bigger though"
    • Deciding that shotguns would be the right choice for my advy, since the game manual said that it "can hit multiple targets at once" (yeah right) and sticking with them until level 40 or so, and the joys of finding a higher QL Home Defender for sale at a vendor
    • Learning how to take a mission, getting lost in them since I didn't know there was a minimap (how cool was that!) and having to borrow creds from a stranger for a lock pick since there was one chest i could not open (thank you, whoever you are, I even did not have to pay back!)
    • Going on my first team mission and hoping that I'd gotten that web cloak that the other guy looted, and being very scared indeed of the boss mob
    • Raising money for a few days to get a friend an apartment access reset card since he forgot where his apartment was
    • Running into, and eventually through, all the wonderful monsters (like buckethead technoscavengers, and their evil brothers, buzzsaw technoscavengers
    • Meeting Trash King, probably the biggest mob in game I thought, trying to run away from him training him towards West Athen causing havoc among other low levels in the woods shouting "Run away, the King is coming!"
    • Running into a strange city in the desert, going thru a gate and zoning into somewhere, instantly going thru a door after that, and winding up in a strange building, where menacing techno music started playing as I took my first steps and being scared to hell (It was Reet Retreat)
    • The mischief and general running about when taking down Nematet in Totw with 3 of my real life friends

Yep, that was exciting indeed. I've since had a reunion with the shotgun as I made friends (or acquaintances, rather) with the Onehander. Slapping it on makes me think about the noob days...
    Last edited by eroz_c; Jan 12th, 2008 at 21:15:02.
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789