Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Post your n00bie stories

Quote Originally Posted by Onalees
    I think I even typed "die you silly leet" or something like that...
    pwnd.
    [Vicinity] Hilfy: Expecting?
    [Vicinity] Redtricks: Pregnant? No.

My engineer nabbed a team in Subway, and we got to legos. Looking in the team window, I noticed our enforcer was taking a bit of damage every hit. And by a bit, I mean, a lot, about a sixth of his HP every swing of a Lego's scythe. Later, I ask him how large his bodydev is. Come to find out, he hasn't raised it at all. And this is an atrox enforcer. Anyways, we decide to keep him in the team so he can level and nab some IP to invest in Body Dev. He dings, raises his Body Dev...

"dang my HP just went up 500"

I was so happy...
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

Hey that was me I think!! I asked to be turned into a squid!! ... and a few other things..

Squid kuz I was in the US Navy at the time and Marines call us squiddies. We call them jar heads. We growl at each other then get in a fight then go home. Its a great way to take up time when you're a bored military member.
    Last edited by smokexjc; Sep 8th, 2007 at 04:01:42.
    SmokeX 210/23 Neutral Opifex MA General of Spirit Walkers
    SmokeKillsU 81/3 Neutral Opifex Agent
    UraniumX 101/2 Neutral Nanomage NT
    BruteForceX 61 Neutral Opifex Fixer
    SmokingGunsX 43/2 Neutral Solitus Soldier
    SixOfNynex 42/2 Neutral Nanomage Engineer
    Jiroieyoshi 12/2 Neutral Atrox Enforcer
    EMHMarkX 32/2 Neutral Nanomage Doctor

Aah, great thread! Thanks for the necro, would've never found it if otherwise

Sadly my froob tales are far too many to even list, but i think most are covered. The basic "zomg, let's equip these implants i found on these here leets!" and of course the classic "pressing attack repeatedly cause the attackbar kept shrinking for some odd reason" and the classic "wtf is this" upon entering this nifty thing called "The Grid".

I love this game and I believe I was lucky with the people I met and asked questions to and that taught me a bit of this and that and gave me some nice links to places I could learn stuff on my own. So to whoever you are (sadly i deleted my first char which had em all on my buddylist since the first one i met taught me the great thing called /cc addbuddy <nick> so i could ask him any questions if he was online) thank you! I hope I have lived up to your standards in helping out newbies and that I somehow impacted their game like you did it for me
    Transcendence
    ----
    220 iii "Quilluck" iiiiii :: iii "Quillster" i 165
    074 iii "Tradeursoul" i :: i "Fourthaid" ii 220
    ----

N00bishness done, heard about, helped through:

I tried to read as much as possible before rolling my first char, but some things just weren't apparent. Like the logic that "everything that moves in a game wants to kill me, these leets don't try to kill me, obviously they can't see me because I'm an agent!" I stood on n00b island thinking "if all these people knew I was standing here... hehehe..." Oh, and discovering both the grid and the whompas at lvl50.

A nice story I heard was when someone in my org (think it was a doc) was sitting outside the subway buffing anyone going in. Suddenly one of them comes back out again and gives her a 1 point damage shield. Pure n00b cuteness.

The most helpful I've ever been to a n00b was to someone who asked for help in n00b OOC because he had switched from omni to clan while he was still in Rome. And n00b OOC being n00b OOC, he didn't exactly get any useful help. So I spent 10-15 minutes trying to find the best way to get to OA through the whompas, but he got killed that way as well. Finally he managed to run out of Rome, so I directed him to the nearest org city on the map and told him how to go from org city to newland to the newland grid and on to OA. All while he was training blubbags and other mobs with him, and I tried to calm him down with "you're probably faster than them, just keep running in a straight line". I hope he's still in the game

I'm in the same boat as Quilluck, too much to list.... sadly while most probably enjoyed their time as a newbie at least in part because a lot of times they saw things for the first time or they got a lot of help, learned a lot, and eventually moved on into the game enjoying it more. Quite honestly I never enjoyed being new in part not because it's not enjoyable time but because it's one of the reasons I never managed to become successful in the game nor go far in it and never learned much about certain things that I wish I could know. Sometimes I wish I could go back in time and do the things again certainly because I would not make the same mistake twice.

My mistake I guess foremost was joining my first org and I guess my own being of not asking questions for fearing that being new was kinda bad since I read a tiny bit of AO before hand and read on somewhere that AO wasn't too new friendly and some higher levels were anti-new, been a while since I remember were I read that but still. Pretty much after a few weeks of being in it flame wars erupted then a friend made an org, who was in the first org I was in after it disbanded and I joined sadly I wasted over 10 months of my time in it because all I remember is either being harrased or having a certain little prick spew sh*t about me on OOC all the time. I sometimes wonder why I bothered to even play the game, I love AO just loathe what has happened to me and I guess my bad history still persists to this day some 15-16 odd months later since I started.

Really angers me that to this day my history has haunted me so much I seen quite a few people that in my opinion never deserve or deserved such success because of things they've done to me sure that sounds like a rant but really no idea why I have had such bad luck in the game.
    Last edited by Achromic; Sep 18th, 2007 at 19:02:21.

I did so many mistakes on my first toon.
    It was a dual welding pistol nanomage soldier
    Needless to say, it didn't go verry well.
    RK1 - Atlantean
    Lise "Gimpeline" Everwhite - Omni - Level 220/30/70 Martial artist
    Rudolph "Nissemann" Juhl - Omni- Level 220/30/70 Engineer
    Omni-Mining
    Mary "Gimpa" Wormwood 2xx/30/xx Advy R.U.R
    Josephine "Gimpyposer" Dredd 21x/30/70 mp Omni-Pol
    Jarwar 2xx/30/xx Crat Wanderers Sanctuary
    Proud member of Leet Protection Agency

My first was a NT...

One day around level 30'ish I had a really long run to get to some mish.... When I was allmost there, I got kinda lost and asked some enfo/keeper with a stygian for help... (He looked uber to me, so he had to know how to help me)

He "helped" me in a splitsecond by sending me to reclaim... That day I learned about suppression gas areas and their meaning...

A few days later I rolled a keeper, and never logged that NT again... heh

PS.
    Dasm, I was pi.... at that enfo/keeper.... lol
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

I remember my first toon.....NT - maybe 2 years ago....

I didnt understand the concept of nanos.... i thought it's enough to have the crystals in my inv.... then i understood i had to click them....hey - now they are there (in the program window).... it took quite a while until i got it, that i have to CAST them to do anything.....

and then i went to rome....didnt know where to go so i just ran around... i see me running from some random red mobs in the woods around rome, with only the nanos u get at the start (not even the ones which are sold @ noob island)....

man i had fun then.....

later, several toons later at noob island.... these incredible red level 10 players in full omni armor WITH THESE ULTRA EXPENSIVE SUNGLASSES WIELDING AN ALIEN SWORD OMG.OMG.OMG killing these UBER STRONG ALIENS.... OH MY GAAAWWWWD....../me wants to be like that.....

and the first times at TOTW.... this was cool... following behind some advy (first time i saw a wolf morph) who was killing the cultists i made it into the final boss room...well i didnt survive long but as i had no idea about the way back this wasnt such a problem... and the first time i got attacked by a spider after zoning through the portal.... wuuuuuuut? this is not fair - big red spider and im just level 3X....wahhhhhhhhhhhhh

could go on for hours.....lol

Haha. cool my thread is still being actively posted on
    Kacey "Regidoc" Stych
    Former President of Valor Eternal and joined it's ranks again!
    {doc setup} {enforcer setup}
    {doc perks} {enforcer perks}
    Alts:Chiana "Infinitenull" Natsume, Rien "Daeminess" Shaina, Little "Miissy" Smith, Preytorian
    Your type is: SEA. 11% of respondents so far fall into that type. Socializer 73% Explorer 66% Achiever 46% Killer 13%
    System Message: Offline message from Means on Sat 17 Nov 2007 19:48 GMT: Means: This lag is really bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Regidoc View Post
    Haha. cool my thread is still being actively posted on
    are u ingame?

Upupa (220/20/60) Valhall Guardians. equip
    Tantal (220/25/68) Atrox Keeper

<- sold a GA1 disk to a shop with a bunch of stuff... Ironically found out about a day later that it was something worth millions, never found one again even 3 years later.

Oh yea, lessons about IP's and what they are for...

Level 20ish, discovered they improve stats O.o omg!
    Level 50ish discovered that you only put them into specific skills you use such as 1he advy could dump them into the 1he skill and not into 1hb, 2hb, 1he, 2hb, shotgun, grenade, pistol, melee energy, aimed shot etc etc etc....

needless to say once I figured that out... /wrists on the advy :P
    Last edited by Copperneedle; Sep 21st, 2007 at 00:43:39.
    Copperneedle 207 doc Ex-president Whisper's Edge
    -others on RK1 CLAN!-

New Perma-Resident to Test Live

Binarybits 220/26/70 President of :
    Loyal order of the Guinea pig

Quote Originally Posted by Upupa View Post
    are u ingame?
    Meh, sorta. This account should die shortly so I've been working up some funds to pay my fr00bs way.
    Kacey "Regidoc" Stych
    Former President of Valor Eternal and joined it's ranks again!
    {doc setup} {enforcer setup}
    {doc perks} {enforcer perks}
    Alts:Chiana "Infinitenull" Natsume, Rien "Daeminess" Shaina, Little "Miissy" Smith, Preytorian
    Your type is: SEA. 11% of respondents so far fall into that type. Socializer 73% Explorer 66% Achiever 46% Killer 13%
    System Message: Offline message from Means on Sat 17 Nov 2007 19:48 GMT: Means: This lag is really bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Copperneedle View Post
    <- sold a GA1 disk to a shop
    [...]
    Oh yea, lessons about IP's and what they are for...

Level 20ish, discovered they improve stats O.o omg!
    Level 50ish discovered that you only put them into specific skills you use such as 1he
    Well, I did the GAI disc thing too and I have a feeling we're not the only two.

About IP, for the longest time I assigned IP on a top-down priority.
    In the old layout, of course, so first I raised the abilities, then in order of appearance down the tabs. My toon was somewhat gimped in some areas..
    Tempus fugit.

Everybody has a photographic memory.
    Some don't have film.

When you find a big kettle of crazy it's best not to stir it.
    -PHB/Scott Adams

I remember the time when I was new a bit. I didn't dare to say anything in chat (I didn't want to say anything stupid and just to learn things on my own) in the beginning or sell anything in trade channels (the selling fear lasted much longer). Also, I thought Morphing Memory made me get more xp when I had it equipped. And I wondered what happened to my money after I had used the Surgery Clinic.

I got my first "donation" when I was...maybe level 30-40 with my MA. Someone looked for a person to transfer some money. I sent him a tell and when he met, he popped 50m into the trade window. I would be lying if I said I didn't have the temptation to run away with it But I thought getting a bad rep is worse than not having any money. So he came back and gave me 500k as a reward. I was really really happy. Although I wasted most of the money on imps about a week later. Then again, that's about how imps pricing is.

I don't remember my own encounters with newbies too much. Mostly I avoid them, because they're annoying. Like the ones that run around spamming team invite til you /ignore em. Or just spam tells at you. I don't mind speaking in Neu.OOCs, helping people with quests or killing stuff when I like either the name or the way they're speaking. I think I've given money to only one. And that was a new martial artist, to whom I ended up explaining in detail what skills he must raise, what skills are optional and what to stay away from. Gave him 1m, because I thought it will last longer than the 500k I got

all i remember is when i was level 60ish someone gave me around 10mill to sort out some comp lit imps for them :O i<3who ever that was cos it gave me a real big boost :-D
    Crat360 -220|24|70 Bureaucrat
    Shutupntank 220|15|XX Doctor
    Litlebigman - 215|15|XX Martial Artist
    Zookeeeper -213|19|44 Keeper

General and Recruiter of Cosmic Forklift Inc.

I don't remember much from when I was starting, so here's something that happened only a little while ago.

I was looking at MP ofab in the OA tower shop, and a 50ish crat kept asking on Clan OOC if someone had some amount of tradeskills (I think it was 400ish).

After about 5 minutes of no help I volunteered to see if I could get what he needed. Turns out the guy had somehow gotten a Message Container for the crat coffee machine, and was trying to build it. But he was short some parts (and had a few other parts that weren't even needed). A quick introduction to recipebot and several minor tradeskill items later, we had a coffee machine.

The thing that stood out the most was; he tried to pay me back for the tradeskill junk I bought. It was 500 credits at most.

Needless to say, he's now a level 120+ crat selling buff guns in my org
    General of Umojan Protectorate - Technical Department
    General of Haven - Technical Department
    Norbal, 220/19 MP - "Slightly" off-kilter NM - equip
    Norbby, 220/20 Keeper - stabbing anything that moves

Quote Originally Posted by jorricane View Post
    And all MPs should be forced to speak like that Architect guy from the Matrix when RP'ing....
    I bump this daily, drop by and say hi?

Early on I realized that I needed symbs. Badly.

I told an orgmate which one i needed, and he pointed me to some mobs in Schoel.
    I made my way up there and started camping. I camped and camped, pretty hard and slow kills for the little doc I was. No drops.
    I complained over and over in org chat how frustrating it was getting.
    I had killed like 40 of them now. NOTHING!!!!

Disappointed and frustrated I jumped back to RK but I realized it had not been too much of a bad day afterall, because luckily the mobs had dropped patterns which i could sell to the shop for kinda phat cash and eventually buy the symb I needed.

---- *found another one*

After having stumbled upon a small cave in Nacensce and hardly surviving an encounter with an evil crippler that probably took me a good for a 10 minutes to kill being a doc with QL 5 RK-doc wep I suddenly got a ninjainvite to a team. Absolutely delighted I said: "Hi! Ty for inviting me!" I hit enter and in my exitement some random key I didn't mean to hit...and those were the last words the team and anyone else for that matter would hear from me for days...the chat had been assigned to some non-active channel and I simply could not figure out the chat system.

As you might understand I had a lil trouble asking around how to correct it...
    Last edited by patho; Sep 29th, 2007 at 21:56:47.

I don't have a story to share but I just wanted to chat. I've been reading these stories and have had a huge smile on my face the whole time. I still consider myself a huge noobie even though I started in 2004 but I have never played for real long. My highest toon was in the mid 40's so I know a bit about AO but at the same time it's all still new and fresh to me.

Anyway, I was sitting here reading all of these stories and stopped and thought how many other mmo's have I played that had these types of stories or even had the people to share them and the answer is none of them. I'm not saying that people haven't had some great times on other mmo's I'm just saying I've never encountered the things in them that I see in AO. Alot of other games you learn in a couple of weeks and that's all there is to it but not AO, I learn something new everyday and imagine I will for years to come, it's a huge game with so much depth. But it's the people, the community and things like this that keep me coming back. I loved the stories.......You just can't get that kind of stuff anywhere else.

Any time between 1-220 when I was first playing on Aussie

Edit: I remeber reading this thread two years ago, time goes fast...
    Last edited by Aussieborn; Sep 30th, 2007 at 15:24:36.
    Aussieborn 220/22 MA (Retired-ish)
    Healinjoo 2xx/1x Equip
    Merve 151/18 Mp PERK RESET
    And some other gimps!
    Consider this my Siggy

Quote Originally Posted by obliteratr
    thw word is spelt like deliverieing actually.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast