Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Post your n00bie stories

My favourite n00b story comes from before the free promotion. A few months ago I was running around on my lowbie fixer alt and some guy spammed me asking for creds. I said no and then couldn't stop chuckling, since his name is "Dollashort"....

A guildie of mine's got his guild logon message set to another humourous, non-fr00bie comment he saw: "I bought my account on eBay! How do I sit down?"

Explaining last week to the fr00bie that no, the little level 15 tower base I was updating when he found me was not really very impressive, nor was I as ubah! as he seemed to think (I was kinda gimpy really since I had a really low brain in at the time) was kinda amusing - if ego deflating.
    Last edited by Teljanin; Jan 28th, 2005 at 17:18:59.
    Teljanin Doctor (Gear)(Perks) - General of Obsidian Order
    Quiverdance Trader (Gear)(Perks)
    Dollashort Fixer (Perks)
    + several others spread across three accounts....

Woefallen's Guide To Teaming With A Doc

although i may be called a noob (lvl 21) i try to give help to major noobs (lvl 6-7 and below). I walked up to one and said: 'would you like this gun and bullets for free. I have no need for them'

no reply.

i thought. geez doesn't anyone accept help

he ran away and /tell ed me: 'I don't need your help. it will prove how much better iam to you'

Quote Originally Posted by Karathas
    although i may be called a noob (lvl 21) i try to give help to major noobs (lvl 6-7 and below). I walked up to one and said: 'would you like this gun and bullets for free. I have no need for them'

no reply.

i thought. geez doesn't anyone accept help

he ran away and /tell ed me: 'I don't need your help. it will prove how much better iam to you'
    I don't know how to take that story That's an almost rude reply
    Kacey "Regidoc" Stych
    Former President of Valor Eternal and joined it's ranks again!
    {doc setup} {enforcer setup}
    {doc perks} {enforcer perks}
    Alts:Chiana "Infinitenull" Natsume, Rien "Daeminess" Shaina, Little "Miissy" Smith, Preytorian
    Your type is: SEA. 11% of respondents so far fall into that type. Socializer 73% Explorer 66% Achiever 46% Killer 13%
    System Message: Offline message from Means on Sat 17 Nov 2007 19:48 GMT: Means: This lag is really bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Obtena
    It's fun to run through West Athens being a shade. Everyone is staring at me asking me about my loot and what I am. Like a mini spectacle. I spent about 20 minutes telling them about Tir Ring quest. They were so happy to learn stuff. I help whenever I can.

The other thing that is fun to watch is noob PvP. They don't know much so it's just a slugfest. Very amusing.
    There's more to it than a slugfest?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Wouldn't it be better if all the attributes were combined into one skill called "goodness?"

Quote Originally Posted by Regidoc
    I don't know how to take that story That's an almost rude reply
    "almost" rude?? You're generous, imho..
    Then again, when I'm taking alts through the new backyard I usually try to give weapons to people that might need them - something which has caused more than one one person to ask me how many hours I'd been playing since I was still trying to be nice. Sad, I think.
    But the people that say thanks and put the items to good use makes up for it in the long run.
    Tempus fugit.

Everybody has a photographic memory.
    Some don't have film.

When you find a big kettle of crazy it's best not to stir it.
    -PHB/Scott Adams

Yeah I know what you mean. Some guys are so thankful

Hehe this happened yesterday and was quite funny-

Was about to pick a thing up i bought so jumped down from adonis and warped to baboons from random city i found in WW. Ran towards the grid and was just about to pop into it when i got a tell "Excuse me sir, i dont wanna cause any trouble. but can you help me please?".

And uhm, with that kinda request i just can say no so i ask with what he might need help with.

"I have no idea where i am!"
    "Ok, are you in Omni-1?"
    "Sorry, but i dont know where i am "
    "Press F9 and copy/paste the Coordinates and area name, and ill come get you"
    "Okay i will do that"

And then he posts some random odd number and yes he was in Omni-1.
    So i start running around and press F9 like a madman to get a hang of where the hell i am lol. and when im almost at where he is supposed to be he says:

"If it is any help to you im at some disco i think, funky music here"
    "okay, is there a sign anywhere close?"
    "Hmm yes it is, it reads Baboons, that any help?"

omg i just ran from there, thats how he must picked my name, im sooo stupid i shoulda thought of that i thought. anyhow when i found him and walks him to the rome whompa. he says thanks so much, let me pay you for the help. And he opens trade with me and puts in 3293 or similiar very low random number. Thought omg that must be hes total cred amount so i clicked it away and wished him a good day.
    Finalizer
    Eternalist - Enlightened heal monkey.
    Field Marshal
    Dictator
    Lich

Quote Originally Posted by RobQ
    Last night a new soldier came up to me (I am a fixer) and started asking me a whole bunch of general and soldier specific questions. I answered the best I could and felt the person had a good grasp of the game and the profession by the time we were done... until the last question. What are good soldier weapons after the start up weapon. I told him either a Nova Flow Mk IV (easier to get) or a Div 9 and proceeded to show him a ql 2 Div 9 I had in my inventory from a BY boss. He asked me how much, I told him Div 9's are usually expensive, a couple thousand per ql, but since it was only ql 2 and he was new, he could have it for free. The kicker, he proceeded to tell me that he would rather save his credits for armor and ran off. I again repeated it was free in a tell, and he again repeated that he wanted to save his credits for armor. I never heard from him again.
    Perchance he was referring to the cost of ammo ??

Never can tell, though.

Can't remember specifics but I had one guy run up to me and ask for HnQ by OA whompa the other day
    Kacey "Regidoc" Stych
    Former President of Valor Eternal and joined it's ranks again!
    {doc setup} {enforcer setup}
    {doc perks} {enforcer perks}
    Alts:Chiana "Infinitenull" Natsume, Rien "Daeminess" Shaina, Little "Miissy" Smith, Preytorian
    Your type is: SEA. 11% of respondents so far fall into that type. Socializer 73% Explorer 66% Achiever 46% Killer 13%
    System Message: Offline message from Means on Sat 17 Nov 2007 19:48 GMT: Means: This lag is really bad...

Well, love these threads =)

A few stories of my own:
    - After some guidence to hunt brontos at the oasis I got lost from the team and after a couple of hours I still lost. the startup map is not very good to coordinate where u are u dont see the cities ffs! I ended up beeing lost in newland desert for about 3 days!!! then a guy in yalm flyies by, after a while he comes back and asks me if I need any help, yes I say, Im lost. Oh he say, how long? I say, about 3 days now, Hes like, omfg, and he helped me back to newland and can I say I was HAPPY to see those gates again and mind u that I had a engi with baaaaaaaaaaaaad runspeed since I didnt know that I could raise it ;D
    after that I saved up to get myself a gv after I bought it for exp 60k or something I loot one in a mish box. still have those one in my bank for nostalgic memory

- about getting money:
    I was hunting monster parts 2 my engi 4 a new bot, was hunting for 1 week constantly and turning them into plasma and how many times I died on those rats is more near infinity than anything else I hate rats! rollerrats*!!!

- getting pwned:
    my first tune was an nt, lvl him to about 14, which took me about 1 week or so
    then walking, I didnt know one could run, into a mish I was pretty pwned by the 2 first mobs. rolled an engi

- pvp:
    I noticed that ma was not the prof to pvp with when I was rooted and 2 ga eq fixers were standing infront of me and chatted about the weather before they killed me =)
    rerolling on rk-4

oh man these are some classic stories.

I love all the noobs, and some of my best memories are over 3 years old, to back when I and the rest of the gamers were all noobs.

My first mission I pulled in the backyard on my 1st toon (nano doc). Got stompped so quickly.. . I didn't do missions again until I was in my upper 20's. I avoided them with a big fear. I had an MA friend take me on a mission with her, and I learned they weren't all that bad afterall.

I remember being so broke as a noob doc, and having people give me pity creds. I still give love to noob docs these days, because I understand the hardship.

Oh, the implants. The implants I had in until my 30's, that I looted off corpses. I didn't know you could build your own. hah.

I finally rerolled a MA, after seeing one trash the bronto's at the oasis, and I figured they were cheap and obviously good, so I made one, and was so happy I've stuck with him for all these years.

These froobs breathe a new life back into this game though, and I love them all. A long time ago I used to enjoyo getting as big as possible on my enforcer, and walking around with noobs following and /prostrating ... .now I get to do it once again.
    (throw on a pit lizard buff for some even more fun)
    {Beyond the Drunken Master, is the Plastered Master} Lilasiandude 216 MA
    Proud Member of Storm, and the Betty Ford Clinic

-Sllammer 216 enf. - Frank the Tank! Frank the Tank! Frank the Tank! Click!

BE STORM

In Old Athen the other day when a noob walks up to me and asks where I got the light bar on my back, seems she was really frustrated walking around OA and 1/2 the time its dark out. I said she could buy one, she said where, so I took her to the Basic supplies shop. Said 'Go in' She said 'what do you mean' I showed her how to enter a building.

She was astonished and very grateful that I had shown her a place with lighting!
    ------------------------
    Bot runner - Lvl 1
    Newtral - R1/R2 - Newbie Island answer machine
    Sashsay - R1 - Lvl 30 Adv
    Longdrink - R2 Lvl 40 Fixer
    MrHaney - R2 Lvl 60 Trader
    Tabatoslotb - R2 Lvl 75 Eng
    Hesdeadjim - R2 - Lvl 57 Doc
    Oneforderoad - R2 -lvl 97 Adv
    NoCannedEwe - R1 lvl 25 Sol
    Goodwithgarlic - R1 lvl 36 Enf

Maybe it's just a shade bonding thing, and I'm sure it happens to us all. But coming back from SL to RK across the bridge I often encounter new shades running the other way. Quite often I get the usual "where do I find tatts and spirits and weapons" which I answer as best I can, but the other day just as I got across the bridge I stopped to sort something in my inv, up comes a little shade and starts asking me a few things in vicinity, so I reply in vicinity, as this goes on another little shade runs past, stops, come over and just stands listening. So, I sit down and make myself comfortable, so do they, we carry on chatting, another shade comes out of the harbour entrance, runs past, stops, comes back. I was there about an hour, and by the end there was me and 5 little shades all sat in a little circle, was quite cute really, and if they're the future of the shade prof then I'm happy, all were polite, all were inquisative, and not one even asked for more than information.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Grumpy "Siorai" Oldgit - 220.25 Clan Atrox Doctor - Screenshot - Equip (old)

First trox doc on RK1 using Blades of Boltar.

My Spirit Shroud Hell - Over 1400 kills with no drop.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

i remember my noobness quite well (regretfully)...

i rolled a soldier, he still is my only toon. i got SL and a peren blaster on around lvl 60. before that i was using the eradicator gun b/c i thought it did good damage.
    somehow i made it to lvl 110ish with my ql 72 peren and no idea of what tms was because i thought soldiers didnt use nanos. then a player pointed out to me, rather rudely i might add "omfg youre lvl 110 using a ql 72 blaster and u dont have tms, youre a gimp!!!1111...." i got the message, but also since that time he has enjoyed the priviledge of being the only player on my /ignore list.
    my n00bness didnt stop there, up until lvl 150 or so, i was using carb, since i thought it was a waste of time to get tier armor. i got tier after a high lvl soldier pointed out to me in "RP" style why i wasnt using tier.
    since those times, i think ive come a long way, soon to be sporting a pistol setup after a few more perk resets.

on a different note, i do like the idea of giving noobs a "quest" to find an item for you instead of just giving them some money.
    Russm-Chlorobi-Russaneer-Russypoo-Ivanmcnauty-Secksmachine-Annoyedpocky-Plooshka

Thumbs up Nice thread

I just want to say thanks for the tread, yesterday I was almost at the point of deciding to to stay off the forums because of the flaming and stupid remarks. Today reading this thread that has changed completely.

I had a friend who, when she started playing, was running round at level 15 with just the backyard heal It wasn't until she did a mision and somebody asked her why she was healing so little, that she found out that there were better nanos around!

One of the team members took her on a shopping trip and she was a pretty good Doc after that - guess keeping people level 10+ alive with the basic heal taught her a few things about healing, that when she finally got her bigger heals she could take it a bit eaier

I've often bought new traders their Advanced Salesman's Hats. They are usually very thankful. I spend a lot of time sitting and talking to newbies when they are interested. I sat talking to somebody who was so interested in learning about being a MA, that after20 minutes talking her through the basics of her class, I ended up building her QL10 and 20 sets of Carbonium...
    Lorna, 209/13 Trader on Die Neue Welt
    Jaegerin 220/21 Adenturer equip
    Yeuh 220/20 Doctor equip
    General of Midnight Syndicate

- Live long and prosper, but not at the expense of your comrades

Can come full circle though .. in a very nice way.

Some months ago helped a froob in Rome learn the mystical art of ClickSaver (We spent quite som etime at it as I remember) and we've been getting /tells to and fro ever since ..

Anyways I'm closing in on 220 and get a tell last night 'Weeee I got my Ado key'....

So we make a new team, get some of my org dudes, run a stupdily silly easy mission with him in the team - the kicker was this was the same guy that I had helped those months ago, who had 'All-Grown-Up'

So cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Russm
    i rolled a soldier, he still is my only toon. i got SL and a peren blaster on around lvl 60. before that i was using the eradicator gun b/c i thought it did good damage.
    But Eradicators ARE good RK guns up until 80!

Anyhow.

Back in the day when I was a measly level 40 or so fr00bie, a level 190-ish advy came to watch me camp technoscavengers for Dodga pad stuff. He was a great guy (and still is, should say hi to him the next time I see him) and asked me basic stuff about what I was using and such.

At some point on another day we ended up hitting the Bot Mountain area and the areas north of TOTW, where he happily lagzilla nuked stuff and we both got pad parts. However, I totally missed the LAST piece I needed because I was such a noob and didn't have a map upgrade... But it was okay, considering. He even helped me with a few tips and to my big surprise even gave me a bit of phat lewt -- er, credz to help along the way. Not much, mind you, but enough to get me to go "dude, I can't take this". We fought about that for a while.

Since then I've noticed that little advies come to me and ask questions, which is sometimes utterly cute, sometimes utterly... confusing.

I was in Biomare yesterday (for reasons some might guess) and to the team's surprise there was a level 5 (!!!) Omni adventuress there with a 100+ engineer. She asked me what sort of AI weapons were good for advies. I said axes and pistols, since I couldn't see which weapons she had. She didn't even have mismatched armour, let alone weapons!

Of course, then she asked me the age old SPARE STUFF PLZ question in lower caps.

Another occasion I remember well. I was loitering near the little picnic table south of West Athen when this level 4 guy runs to me and goes...

Guy: "OMG THAT HEALTHBAR"
    Me: "*sweatdrop* Hi..."

It just then struck me that my advy was no longer a little, harmless fly that died easily in the hands of a train. Re the previous poster, I'm now teaming with my org leader. Back in January when I was around level 25 or so, I never thought I'd see the day. And I get to watch my orgmates and other people grow up like that too. :P
    [Vicinity] Hilfy: Expecting?
    [Vicinity] Redtricks: Pregnant? No.

I love to help n00bies, but only if they dont start a conversation: Credz plz!!!!! can u spare some plz!!!

And i love to show em how to get/build Carb armor, get places, help em get nanos and so on

But credz begging is just lame, i rather explain how to make credz then give away 100, 200, 300k and so on, better to learn how to work then be a daddy kid and get all for free
    Quote Originally Posted by randomletter
    I miss spoke.
    Arosh 220/22/?? Opisexy Fixer
    Zsender 220/18/?? Nanogimp MP
    Villmedic 187/12/?? Solisexy Docta
    Znipe 150/13/?? Lovely Trox Agent <3<3 Much love!

when i first played AO back in 03 i did the 7 day free trial cause i had no idea what this game would be like. needless to say i got hooked, i was an atrox enforcer for i took my time to carefully read what each breed was good for. so i started leveling in the backyard then the leets started talking to me and i talked back, cause i thought "leet" was a player. so after leveling some i head over to the subway level some more, strangely enough i was able to find totw easily for the guy said just go north of tir, i said how do i get to tir? take the whompah. whats a whompah? so it took some more time to find the whompah and i headed to totw. so i level some more find some good loot, looted every corpse within site. now at some point i get to level 40 im somewhat bored with AO then i discover nano programs. ive gone 40 levels without using nanos, honestly i wasn't that bad/gimped out. so then i bought my first nano set and i felt uber. by this time my 7 days are almost up so i said screw it, and palyed for another 2 months. by around level 100ish or so i got ql125 imps the imps i was using before were super low ql like between 1-25. just ones i would find.

also when i first started my enf i upped all my melee skills not knowing what to do then a guy told me to just go 2he (mind oyu queen blade wasn't nerfed at that time). i also wielded a lego sctyhe until 100ish until i saw a guy with a ql 150ish katana and had to have, bought it for 7m i think after he kept saying it wasn't for sale. or maybe it was 5-10m i dont remember.

another newb story was when i was leveling in 8x8 killing hacker after hacker with a team and GA3 dropped and i honestly had no idea what the hell it was so figured it was some more booth food, and the whole team flipped out and was like "can i have!!11!" and this one guy actually said "hey you should give it to me, my friend can make it into a nano and oyu can sell for more". honestly if the team didn't make such a big hype about it i would have sold to booth for like 100k rather then like 120m+ (back then ga3 was expensive). i didn't listen to anyone on that team cause i knew they were going to screw me over on this loot. i was happily rich for a long time and obught like a 10m yalm.

and then i quit then i came back on froob account and was astonished by all the new content, and had to relearn many things. now im the go to guy for help and awesomeness.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast