Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Post your n00bie stories

Yeah i remeber when i was all fresh, that was the best time ever, every day i played with my friend, we were lvl 40ish , standing
    in Tir, it was so crowdy. Ppl everywhere, sheesz i loved it. Good ol days, i remeber it as it were yesterday. Now i am 190 and
    my friend i played with is 209. Kinda funny to think back to when we were lvl 40ish for 3 years ago, standing in tir ready to
    roll a mish. Thoose were the days, i still love ao, but the old days will always be sumething speical. I have one advice or two all new players :

1. Dont beg for money (dont going to help you)

2. Please dont be rude, we all know how rudness can turn out

3. Dont blitz trough the levels, enjoy the game. no rush
    Last edited by coraxx; Jan 10th, 2005 at 10:32:18.
    Lliellin - 182 Doc

I've met some really nice folks on free accounts. Recently I even showed someone how to use the bank. :-) A lot of things in AO are not intuitive, and without a lot of help at the beginning I would have give up. So I love that so many of us are taking the time to answer questions. Yay oldbies!

Bluu
    Frankkie "Bluueyze" Baybee
    Rimor - Level 128/3 NT - Board Member of Jin-Roh
    Alts: Aristaia MA ~ Lilim Shade ~ Tuchdis MP

ah, i remember the good old days, duping keys cause the team missions hadnt come out yet. hunting outside towns on RK. hehe, i gave a friend a cd key at the 3 year aniversery and took him on a few missions, told him to stop jumping the main room. he is our doc and most of the team is afk, he keeps jumping and i tell him to stop, 3 mobs agro him and run into the starting room, he breaks for the door and every one else dies cause most are afk and he is the only healer. he is higher lvl than me now, but i still teach him stuff, damn heckler noob.
    Zyprexa123 201/6 Clan Nano Mage Techno Wizard - Perks
    Unit Member of -=Academy Black=- - Welcome to the Academy

Quote Originally Posted by Shadehawk
    Any further NT-neutering would result in us loosing the use of our legs...
    Technology of mass uh... lets see, calming, no, roots, no, layers, na it sucks, um... dont hurt me please Mr. heckler sir... loading please wait, welcome back to reclaim.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadehawk
    And of course there was the (certified) newbie who didn't understand the most basic instructions to find the portal to Jobe. I tried explaining it to him after first getting confirmation that he was in Rome Green. After several unsuccessful attemts I had a revelation and asked him to press F9 and dump the result in chat. He was, of course, in Blue...
    I still do that. :P
    Maybe you can only be young once, but you can be immature forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaijin
    that's not all, this newbie comes up to me pre-SL and asks me for 10m credits. "why do you want 10m credits? what could you possibly buy for 10m that you need?" He replies: "i want to pain my yalm red."
    i laughed so much at that i had to put it in my sig :P
    GlaDos: There was even going to be a party for you. A big party, that all of your friends were invited to. I invited your best friend, 'the Companion Cube'. Of course, he couldn't come, because you murdered him. All your other friends couldn't come either, because you don't have any other friends because of how unlikable you are. It says so right here in your personnel file; 'Unlikable. Liked by no one. A bitter unlikable loner whose passing shall not be mourned.' SHALL NOT BE MOURNED. That's exactly what it says. Very formal. Very official. It also says you were adopted. So that's funny too.

"Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Czarina
    Back in Beta 4 of the original release.. my first toon was an engineer =)

After I made my first bot, I sent it in to attack, it died on the first mob =(

Little did I know that you could just make another bot, so instead I was the engineer who gained 10 levels without a pet ended any desire for me to want to be an engie =D
    lol, i did almost the same thing, ecept i deleted and remade the engi, after a little while.
    I wanted a bot!!
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Member of Angels of the night, Rimor

Speaking of engis.... I was playing a NT i created on a free account while waiting for my "real" account to be opened (payment was pending), while playing i saw in Newbie OCC that some poor guy had gotten lost and couldnt find his way back to Rome ( he was at ent arena). So i relogged to my main and said i would come help him get back to Rome. He of course was all new to the game so i showed him the way to the subway and Rome Blue Basic Shop. In there i told him about implants and nanos(or tried too atleast ), well he had an idea of what nanos where so he asked me "so, do engineers have any nanos?" and i explained him about his startup nanos. I found it so funny when i finally got him to create his first bot, he was like "wow! Hell Yeah!! Thats awesome". After that i gave him 40k so he had enough for the basic stuff + some extra and i had this great feeling when i was about to leave and he said "Thank you sooo much, you've helped me so much its unbelievable" Reward enough for me
    ::Banansniffer:: 209 Enforcer Setup OMFG!! TL7
    ::Banankick:: 127 MartialArtist Setup
    ::Healj0000:: 105 Doctor Setup

And a big family of gimps

Proud member of Ragnarok

I remember when I first started playing. My first toon was an enforcer... an SMG weilding enforcer :P. Plus I thought that the "Thug's Delight" in my inventory was a one use item... so I made it from lvl 1-10 without nanos.

Last night I was with a team in subway, it was me and a RL buddy and 3 free accounters. Started getting close to the slum runners and I told everyone to watch for aggro (they were still orange). of course they asked what aggro was, and I explained that to them, how if it's grey it shouldn't aggro you, plus what family mobs were. I thought the questioning would stop there, because they seemed eager to lvl, but they kept asking about the game, how long I'd played, implants, game basics, what tips I could give them. Didn't get a single thing killed after that, but me and my buddy had a great time explainging this stuff. Those are the type of guys I hope stick around after their year is up.

I seem to find myself hanging out in basic stores a lot more now, since I've got bored with SL again. If I see someone looking at a vendor for a few minutes, then ask if anyone can spare some credits so he can get a gun, or some armor or some thing like that, I'll usually give it to him, since usually they will buy whatever they were looking at, and I was in the same boat to in the beginning. I remember when I first started I was looking at a Rider Warblade in a shop selling everything I possibly could to get it, and ended up about 500 credits short. I couldn't believe that noone in the store "didn't" have that small of an amount to spare kinda sucks when that happens.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Even if your minds confused,
    then this is what you need to do,
    you need to get that mixed up feeling upside in from out of you" -Mr. Bones

Player: "Any +200 NTs on? I need help with some implants"
    MyAlt: "How much NP do you need?"
    Player: "?"
    MyAlt: "Nano progamming. The skill needed to create most implants"
    Player: "Sorry. I'm a noob so I don't know the terminology yet. I'm lvl 26"
    MyAlt: "Ok, but why do you want a +200 NT? You don't need much skill to build new implants for your level"
    Player: "Somone told me to ask a +200 NT because they know what they are doing"
    MyAlt: "Oh .... good point."

... they gather, like big cats around the water hole, waiting for the weak and the wounded to stagger into their territory so they can exercise some violence, and feed their starving reputation ...

Roleplay? Sure! RUR.has.it!

Hehehehehehe
    Kacey "Regidoc" Stych
    Former President of Valor Eternal and joined it's ranks again!
    {doc setup} {enforcer setup}
    {doc perks} {enforcer perks}
    Alts:Chiana "Infinitenull" Natsume, Rien "Daeminess" Shaina, Little "Miissy" Smith, Preytorian
    Your type is: SEA. 11% of respondents so far fall into that type. Socializer 73% Explorer 66% Achiever 46% Killer 13%
    System Message: Offline message from Means on Sat 17 Nov 2007 19:48 GMT: Means: This lag is really bad...

One thing my org has been doing is activly go looking for those new players that are willing to learn. If they want they can join us. We even lifted our level req for this

We got a whole bunch of lowbie players and most of them are now around level 70-80. Four of them already bought SL because they love the game so much, only one has quit because the game was to difficult (he joined our WoW guild). We do not give the new guys weapons or cred, and they know it, but we are almost always there for them if they need anything else.
    Hollowwood 220/16 Doc

I don't have any froobie stories yet but the most amazing noobie thing from the old game was that I encountered more than one person at different times who thought that the Clan training grounds were the entire game of AO. When it was in Tir I used to go in there and talk to people when I didn't have anything to do. They believed that you just stayed in the training grounds and when you reached a certain level you would be transported to a new training grounds with more powerful monsters to fight. They either didn't notice the exit or thought it was just decoration. These were obviously 7 day trialers who had never played a MMORPG and had no idea what to expect. I, of course, took the opportunity to show them around a bit.

Another neat thing was a very confused level 16ish character I met one day in the subway still wearing his newbie clothes and wielding his solar gun. He just joined a team when he exited the training ground and followed them around all night and leveled up.

As a newbie myself, I remember the first time I saw a character in sabretooth form I thought it was some uber mob that would surely kill me in one swat! I was intrigued though so I crept in slowly for a closer look. As I stood there gawking to my amazement it spoke, and I realized it was actually another player: "Hello, do you need some help?" That was the moment I knew I was hooked on AO.
    Last edited by Snowglobe; Jan 16th, 2005 at 21:07:33.

Talking The MP Tank

Last night I was in a subway group looking for more members. The leader recruited a MP. The first thing that I noticed about this MP was that he had no pets. The second thing I noticed was that he was wearing red nail armor and using the pink MP starter shield as a weapon. The third thing I noticed was that this MP loved to TANK and pull multiple mobs at once. We would be fighting a large group of mobs and then this MP would come running in from some direction bringing another group of mobs with him. This made for very exciting and very life threatening battles. Me being a keeper with the permanent team HoT perk, ALL ADDS WOULD RUN DIRECTLY TO ME. Lets jsut say I died a lot. But when I lived it was some of the most fun I've had in a game in a long time. Every fight was like fighting a boss. After many hours we finally beat the subway boss with one team member left standing... who was then immediately killed by a flea.

So if you happen to group with a lvl 30ish melee starter shield wielding MP at ToTW in nail armor and with absolutely no pets, you can expect lots of fun and excitement. And if you see him run by and wonder "How the %@#$ did he reach this level!??," Now you know. :P
    Last edited by Gomdo_Gimped; Jan 17th, 2005 at 18:45:04.

Ok so today i team up with some lowbies on my doc and go hunt ninjas in Wine, the while we're raiding the huge AI ship starts flying above us in the zone, we start chatting about it and a new player asks about it and we tell him/her what it is and why it's there and so on... Someone tells him/her that it's heading for a guild city in the area so he/she goes "I sure don't hope it's filled with aliens or they're gonna have a hell of a hard time.." ...
    Neophyte/Sergeant/Tactician Escritores - Proud General of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 220/27/56 - Soldier - Equip - outdated...
    Poacher Overpoweredz - Proud UC of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 169/9/X - ADV - Equip outdated
    Chiropractor/Tactician Kartoon - Proud SC of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 150/12/12 - Doctor - TL5 PvP incoming. Under construction.
    Also a Freshman Crat, Freshman/Student/Squire/Captain Keep, Freshman/Phreaker/Scout Fix and a bunch of other tower punks and alts...
    Soldier Weaponrack: Anger of Xan, Dreadloch Modified Shark, Amplified KOC-Type 13, Lord Of Anger, AHF, SRPB, KOC-Type 12, KOEC-Type 3, 179-214-237 Coop, Supernova, Omni-Flamer.
    Gromulator: Go troll in your cavern , mr happy Bunny.
    Romaas about lvl 49 soldier BS twinks using CDR's
    Quote Originally Posted by Romaas View Post
    at 49 its totally awesome damage.

My org is currently rebuilding, and as such has been recruiting a lot of low level players.

I spend a good portion of each play session teaching. Everything from implants to armor to OE rules, etc. For me, this is a better use of my playtime than endless missioning.

Best noobie story so far though: I was sitting in a random spot in Rome Blue in my Yalm, typing away advice to new players, etc. A trade window pops up and a Take Me To The Shop appears. I cancelled the trade thinking that someone was trying to give it to someone else and mistakenly clicked on me (never occured to me that I was the only person besides a random noobie in the area). Trade window pops up again, with the item in it. Again I cancelled the trade and finished what I was typing. Before I could finish my current sentence and ask the player why they were trying to give me that, I see "XXX shouts "Why won't this shop take my thing?"

Seems the noobie assumed I was a shop, since I was sitting there in my Yalm, hehe. I quickly explained that I was not a shop, but I would be happy to buy the item from her for a good price. Ended up giving her 10k for the item, a Vag cloak and a Morphing memory that I had in my inventory.

Was rather cute, actually.

Signed,

~The Shop
    Cyrcuitbord

Quote Originally Posted by Slyyk
    so I did the only thing I could do...ran screaming like a schoolgirl back outside.

Talking Rofl

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrcuitbord
    I see "XXX shouts "Why won't this shop take my thing?"
    One of the best for sure

Omni Soldier 220/30/70
    Alt: Chemineer - Omni engineer 220/23/64
    Alt: Chemitor - Omni doctor 220/26/70
    Alt: Chemicrat - Omni Crat 220/20/46
    Alt: Chemysicist - Omni MP 220/17/18
    Alt: Chemitech - Omni NT 220/13/52
    Alt: Chemiforcer - Omni Enforcer 220/16/20
    Alt: Chemiture - Omni Adventurer 220/16/36
    Alt: Chemi007 - Omni Agent 150/12/11
    Alt: Chemikeeper - Omni Keeper 7/0/1
    Member of Core (Former Horizon, Former Nemesis of Chaos, Former United, former Legion, former The BlackHand,former Elysium, former Rubi-Ka Elite Force)

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...v/exercise.png

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrcuitbord
    My org is currently rebuilding, and as such has been recruiting a lot of low level players.

I spend a good portion of each play session teaching. Everything from implants to armor to OE rules, etc. For me, this is a better use of my playtime than endless missioning.

Best noobie story so far though: I was sitting in a random spot in Rome Blue in my Yalm, typing away advice to new players, etc. A trade window pops up and a Take Me To The Shop appears. I cancelled the trade thinking that someone was trying to give it to someone else and mistakenly clicked on me (never occured to me that I was the only person besides a random noobie in the area). Trade window pops up again, with the item in it. Again I cancelled the trade and finished what I was typing. Before I could finish my current sentence and ask the player why they were trying to give me that, I see "XXX shouts "Why won't this shop take my thing?"

Seems the noobie assumed I was a shop, since I was sitting there in my Yalm, hehe. I quickly explained that I was not a shop, but I would be happy to buy the item from her for a good price. Ended up giving her 10k for the item, a Vag cloak and a Morphing memory that I had in my inventory.

Was rather cute, actually.

Signed,

~The Shop

ROFL !! That's a good one
    Kacey "Regidoc" Stych
    Former President of Valor Eternal and joined it's ranks again!
    {doc setup} {enforcer setup}
    {doc perks} {enforcer perks}
    Alts:Chiana "Infinitenull" Natsume, Rien "Daeminess" Shaina, Little "Miissy" Smith, Preytorian
    Your type is: SEA. 11% of respondents so far fall into that type. Socializer 73% Explorer 66% Achiever 46% Killer 13%
    System Message: Offline message from Means on Sat 17 Nov 2007 19:48 GMT: Means: This lag is really bad...

how he got confused with you being a shop and the actuall shops around is hard to understand but its still funny.
    Mouadiib - Crat (220) - Main
    Crishian - MP (220) - PVP MP
    Willitankit - Enfo (220) - I wanna sammich!
    Haliy - Doc (220) - Research galore... fun fun :/
    Xaii - Agent (220) - In hiding
    Vindeta - Engi (220) - TS Engi
    Vindetta - Soldier (220)
    Nisset - Shade (220)
    Mouaa - Trader (220)
    Rochambau - Froob Fixer (200)
    Lliaa - NT (126) - Ely kit xp powerlever
    Miserii - MP (100) Formans twink
    Kahluafix - Fix (60) GA3 totw twink

Best experience was when I first started playing AO and though nanomage kinda looked cool. So I built an Enforcer. yep a nano enforcer. I had no idea how to play until I actually leveled him to 42 then decided to reset the skills. So it said I had to take everything off to equip the skills. So i did but it didnt all fit in my inv so I dropped it on the ground thinking that no one would take it. I zoned to ask for a buff and came back and it was all gone. all my armor and imps and weapons. Now mind you I had neveer used anything that wasnt out of the shop so all my weapons were really bad. Then someone told me that it dissappears.

So I rolled a trader and leveled him to 209 and rising.

Worst experience.
    bringing my agent(fp MP) to ely beach to do some hecklers and getting 1000 tells
    /tell CI PLZ
    /r sorry I dont have CI
    /tell Well wth your an MP your supposed to
    /r well no can you see the sock on my head? im an agent
    So i died and when I came back the whole team said. WTF because I went fp crat for baton to get back some of my xp. They wanted the healpet and kicked me from the team not because I wasnt mp anymore but because they wanted insurance and I wouldnt give it to them( for the obvious reason that agents dont get director and insurance claim perks)
    never the less I dont fp until after Im in the team now.

My personal experiences as a trader have been more then fun.

(Clan OOC)Any traders around I need a wrangle?
    (Clan OOC)Whats a trader?
    (Clan OOC)Im a trader.
    (Clan OOC)Where are you?
    (Clan OOC) Im in OA Trader shop
    (Clan OOC)Where is that?
    (Clan OOC)Its the shop between the Superior shop and the Specialty item shop
    (Clan OOC)Come to the Hill plz
    (Clan OOC)Uh Im a little busy right now ( selling ingots and getting weapons from trader shop for people)

Finally he finds me.
    Hi
    Hello
    Wrangle please
    Ok how much?
    what?!
    How much?
    How much what?
    How much do you need?
    10k sounds nice.
    er 10k? You know what a wrangle is dont you?
    No
    Well ( /me goes into long details of what a wrangle does and how it works)
    Oh thats not what I want. Someone said to ask traders for credits because they have a lot.
    Really?
    yea
    Well go find me a doctor level 201+ and ill give you a wrangle. When you find them tell me their name and that I need TT.
    Whats tt?
    Just go do that please.

10 minutes later

I found a doc.
    Great whats his name.
    (Insert name here)
    I know that person. He is an agent I need a doctor.
    Oh.

5 minutes later

Ok I found one.
    Great. Name?
    (insert name here)
    great tell them I need TT and that I will be right out please.
    ok

so after all that work what took him so much time ws that he was running around trying to figure what a doctor LOOKED like instead of actually targeting them and hitting "T"

he spent almost 15 minutes asking people if they were a doctor.
    needless to say he earned his 10k and I gave him a wrangle enough to fill his ncus. he still didnt know what a wrangle was after he left.
    Last edited by noahsdove; Jan 23rd, 2005 at 06:03:01.
    God told me to make a chicken salad sandwich for lunch, and I did, and all rejoiced

Trader Exam MKII Passed
    My Stuff

Remember kids, Omlets are best when fried and served with a side xp%

I was on my lvl200 Agent just standing around in Borealis trying to find something worth doing or shopping for that matter while I Alt-Tabbing to the forums when a small lvl23 Agent tries the best to stand right in front of me. Out of habit I just target, press T "Aha, agent" and throw UA/TTS or just Snipers Bliss if there's not enough NCU.
    Then he runs off and I get a tell "oooh thanks, but I was just admiring you "

I kinda blushed and smiled like a kid on christmas...
    Drmys - 216/18 Healmonkey
    Znyper - 220/15 Assassin
    Keepyxa - 203/5 Keeper
    Atomyxa - 152/0 NT
    Intoxica - 157/0 Soldier

- THE RENAISSANCE -

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast