Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Post your n00bie stories

Post your n00bie stories

With the arrival of all the new people on RK, I'm sure some of you have one or two really good stories about them. Care to share? I'll go first with another story I posted in Reets:

LOL some n00b came up to me the other day asking for creds. Normally what I do is give them a little quest to bring me an item. Heh, I told this guy to bring me 2 roller rat tails. I swear, he must have hunted tonnes of rats, saying how tough it was and how he died once or twice but he kept at it! He even brought me a waist implant once and asked me if that was it lol. I'm sitting on WA hill with a bunch of guildies watching the new folks stroll by doing their stuff and he finally comes up to me (it's been like 2 hours lol), opens trade and places 1 rat tail in the trade window. I go, well I asked you to get two but you've been at this for a bit so I'll just take the one. I drop 30k into the trade window and saw his jaw drop. It was so cute . Another n00b came up to me asking how he can make some money, I open a trade and gave him the rat tail then showed him Tirbo Ratcatcher hehe.
    Kacey "Regidoc" Stych
    Former President of Valor Eternal and joined it's ranks again!
    {doc setup} {enforcer setup}
    {doc perks} {enforcer perks}
    Alts:Chiana "Infinitenull" Natsume, Rien "Daeminess" Shaina, Little "Miissy" Smith, Preytorian
    Your type is: SEA. 11% of respondents so far fall into that type. Socializer 73% Explorer 66% Achiever 46% Killer 13%
    System Message: Offline message from Means on Sat 17 Nov 2007 19:48 GMT: Means: This lag is really bad...

I took my doc to the subway entrance last night for about 1 hour. She happens to be wielding a Frost Scythe. The new players kept asking me, "Where did you get that sycle?" It was so cute.

I stood around and healed players coming out. ... buffed them with run speed and comp nano...I teamed with a few then ran "Medic's Respite" on them...they freaked out. One guy get real excited and started shouting at his team, "Let's go in now! Now!" I said, "Relax, it lasts 45 minutes"....they were much appreciative (most of them).

I mainly went there just to see exactly how many new players there are (there were 50 or so walked by in about 1 hrs time).

I like the mini-quest idea. Maybe I'll ask for gems or something then give them a reward. The general idea is, "Nothing is free..."
    Scanthes Engineer -- "Engineer by Trade, Rocker by Choice!"
    Ebiito Doctor-- "Hi, Ebiito. Can you heal me?"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Both Members of Angels of the Night ~Clan/Rimor~
    Join us!

Last night a new soldier came up to me (I am a fixer) and started asking me a whole bunch of general and soldier specific questions. I answered the best I could and felt the person had a good grasp of the game and the profession by the time we were done... until the last question. What are good soldier weapons after the start up weapon. I told him either a Nova Flow Mk IV (easier to get) or a Div 9 and proceeded to show him a ql 2 Div 9 I had in my inventory from a BY boss. He asked me how much, I told him Div 9's are usually expensive, a couple thousand per ql, but since it was only ql 2 and he was new, he could have it for free. The kicker, he proceeded to tell me that he would rather save his credits for armor and ran off. I again repeated it was free in a tell, and he again repeated that he wanted to save his credits for armor. I never heard from him again.

I've got this baby doc that I love to have run around with the um... newcommers. (Idleloony, I'm sure you've seen her outside Sub). She's been in a few weird teams over the last days, and this one yesterday was the icing on the cake!

We got together, a full team of various professions, and someone pulled a mission. It was in Holes in the Wall, and we decided to run from West Athens. (Could've gridded to Borealis and Whompaed to Reets, but when they have neglected Complit that way is a no-go.) So we set out, and after a while most of us had come to the mission. This is when one of the guys starts talking about being in Bulls Pasture, a place I've never heard about (but I found out where it is a few minutes later). I tried everything: 1. Press P to get your map up, what do you see around you
    2. Sit tight, I'm comming with my main on my other account
    3. Whatever you do, don't attack anything.

At the same time, the rest of the um... newcommers, was eager to set out and do the mission, and who can blame them? So, while I was afk (I was dual-logged, looking for the last guy in TLR!) they pulled 3 mobs into the entrance. Luckily I heard the action, and did a real multitask what with healing one group and guiding another guy to the right place. Took about two hours! But I had fun...

I doubt the um... newcommers had as much fun as me, but hey... Not all can win at the same time, right?
    By popular demand: Back after a 3 year break!

Ive watched noobs run long ways for cash. One prize was 50m. My brother was one of the people running one of the races. He was training the noobs with high level mobs and the people that got there and lived got armor but the winner got cash. It was perty funny see about 30 people run for an hour for this stuff.

Something that keeps making me laugh and in all my time here i've never seen before is newbies moaning on OOC that a horrible omni is pk'ing them all in the subway, and every day or so a new batch of newbies complains about this omni killing them all.
    RK2 - PATHOM - MY GEAR - MY DREAM
    RK2 - ANCHOVYPASTE - KRESKI - POTLESS - TRUEFLAME

"Escritores: Most Americans think Denmark is the capital of Ikea..."
    "Chipbutty: Lend me your brain Doomaxe, im building an idiot"

Quote Originally Posted by Pathom
    Something that keeps making me laugh and in all my time here i've never seen before is newbies moaning on OOC that a horrible omni is pk'ing them all in the subway, and every day or so a new batch of newbies complains about this omni killing them all.
    Hehe.. Damn that tall bastard that's camping the only way down with his big flashy gun!
    Vanguard Mharc. Self-equipper extraordinaire no longer. I'm back!

Quote Originally Posted by Pathom
    Been there, done that. First mission I ran (and that was after playing for a few weeks) I saw all these humans and they were SHOOTING at me?! (I had only hunted monster mobs outdoors till then. All the human NPCs had been clan.)

Ran out into Tir southgate and shouted "What is UP with these OT?"

Bunch of people laughed, thought I was RP'ing. "Yeah, those bastages!" etc.

I was serious. That was about 3 years ago. I feel for the newbs.

About the 4th mission I pulled I started playing with the sliders... thought that top bar just changed some inscrutable thing like all the others... didn't realize that it was the difficulty setting. Some nice veteran playing a twink had offered to help me pound out a mish... we were running through the wastelands E of Athens, blood red mobs ripping us to shreds... before he asked how hard the mish had been set to.

"I can set difficulty?"

"Yeah, it's the slider at the top. Where did you put it?"

"Uhhh, all the way to the right..."

"?!"

Yesterday I was playing my umpteenth toon on a freebie account, my lil agent. My team had been trained twice in the subway so I pulled us a team mish. Most of the team got lost on the run from West Athens to Athens... I was herding these folks on a 200 yard run. Had to pause 3 times. Got them into Athens and they all just stopped, looked around, and said "Coooool!" and "oooohhhhh" and "ahhhhh". It was fresh and new and impressive. Sweet to see it again through their eyes.
    Last edited by If6Was9; Dec 23rd, 2004 at 17:36:02.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Wouldn't it be better if all the attributes were combined into one skill called "goodness?"

LOL! I just remembered something. I was on an alien raid in BS and the mother ship was flying over. I was paying attention to healing more than anything until I saw an annoucement over Clan OOC. "There's a huge alien ship flying over head!!!!!" I laughed so hard
    Kacey "Regidoc" Stych
    Former President of Valor Eternal and joined it's ranks again!
    {doc setup} {enforcer setup}
    {doc perks} {enforcer perks}
    Alts:Chiana "Infinitenull" Natsume, Rien "Daeminess" Shaina, Little "Miissy" Smith, Preytorian
    Your type is: SEA. 11% of respondents so far fall into that type. Socializer 73% Explorer 66% Achiever 46% Killer 13%
    System Message: Offline message from Means on Sat 17 Nov 2007 19:48 GMT: Means: This lag is really bad...

[Neu. OOC] ******: lol I changed my nice bow for a crazy big ass gun because some high lvs were laughing at a soldier with a bow :P
    [Neu. OOC] ******: but its sooo slooow

level 23 soldier. hehe.. kinda cute.
    Udon (doctor), Koyangi (trader), Jajangmyun (adventurer) of Shattered Dreams of Rimor. [website]

(now in order of play/activity! along with some other lowbie alts.)

Back in Beta 4 of the original release.. my first toon was an engineer =)

After I made my first bot, I sent it in to attack, it died on the first mob =(

Little did I know that you could just make another bot, so instead I was the engineer who gained 10 levels without a pet ended any desire for me to want to be an engie =D
    Rookie Czarina - Opifex Pistol Crat ~220 with 19 Alien Titles~
    Czestiny - Solitus Rifle Crat ~26 with 2 Alien Titles~
    Czealous - Atrox 2-handed Blunt Crat ~21 with 2 Alien Titles~
    Czombie - Nanomage Assualt Rifle Crat ~15 with 2 Alien Titles~

Proud Opifex Crat of Tranquility
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo
    I heard the beast is rerolling as an adv

Personally I like these guys - fresh new blood is a good thing (imho). I've sat for hours outside Rome Blue Basic (obviously omni) and helped anyone whos asked.

Way I look at it, they like the game, they stay, FC makes more money, keeps AO viable, makes me happy.

One thing I am reluctant to do though is simply give out cash. (Or rather I will but an insignificant amount - enough to buy some medkits or some such)

My experience with handing out cash, is that you're not helping them, but rather the opposite. You're creating newbies that have no idea how to make money or care for themselves, they'll just continue begging highlevels for creds and never bother trying to figure out stuff themselves. I used to be far to generous, and I was punished by constant tells for creds or equipment from the people I helped. If people beg me for money, I simply say no. If they ask me how to make creds(big difference), I give them a link to Icons rewritten guide(originally TheDeacons).

Quote Originally Posted by Soriana
    My experience with handing out cash, is that you're not helping them, but rather the opposite. You're creating newbies that have no idea how to make money or care for themselves, they'll just continue begging highlevels for creds and never bother trying to figure out stuff themselves. I used to be far to generous, and I was punished by constant tells for creds or equipment from the people I helped. If people beg me for money, I simply say no. If they ask me how to make creds(big difference), I give them a link to Icons rewritten guide(originally TheDeacons).
    I have been telling beggers "NO" for a long time now. But after teaming and chatting with a newbie for several hours I can give them 100k to "get going".

It seams to work good when I use my own lowbies.

But I agree with Sorania; You may do more damage to the selflearning then actually help the newbie with a cash-gift.

Upupa (220/20/60) Valhall Guardians. equip
    Tantal (220/25/68) Atrox Keeper

Here's one. I was running around WA with my adv main, when a lvl6 asked for my help.

"What do you need?"

"Money so I can buy new guns and ammo... and health kits"

We had a conversation, where I got the low-down on what he was using, his prof (crat), etc. Instead of giving him money, I bought a backpack and went to the basic general weapons terminal to look for pistols ~ql10. They had Kolt Magnums -- a thoroughly mediocre pistol -- at exactly lvl 10, so I bought a pair, 5k bullets, and added 50 each of lvl 5 health and nano kits and stims. I buffed him with pistol expertise so he could equip them, and he went off to do a mission.

A few minutes later, I get a tell from him: "Wow! These pistols do great damage!"

This was extra amusing to me because I had, just that day, equipped a JSPP and done my first many-K full autos.
    Bartle type: EAS. 9% of respondents so far fall into that type.

Explorer: 86%; Achiever: 60%; Socializer: 26%; Killer: 26%

I was running all over RK looking in all shops to buy a click saver. This dawn thing was supposed to help pulling missions but I couldn't find any to buy.

I even tried the trader channels with no luck. I'm surprise now nobody sent me a tell telling what it really was.

The old phrase about giving a man a fish or rod works well here. If I get a random toon walk up to me asking for creds, they get nothing. That said, a couple of times I've answered a WTS on the shopping channel, and then spent the next 2 hours talking to the other player about his toon, profession, and kit when they've started asking questions about nano skills, weapons, clicksaver etc.

The ones who are hungry for knowledge, who've found and read some of these forums, and seem to have grasped the very basic principles of the game I'll help out with a little startup cash with pleasure, because there's almost nothing worse than having to scratch, scrimp and grind your way through the first 20 levels or so.
    There are times in all our lives when the questions asked of us will leave us no option but to give answers of which we are neither proud nor happy.

At these times, remember that it could be worse. The question that we may have to ask could be "would you like fries with that?"

Willo dude im stalking ya - you are fast becoming my God !

Quote Originally Posted by Brazilian
    I was running all over RK looking in all shops to buy a click saver. This dawn thing was supposed to help pulling missions but I couldn't find any to buy.

I even tried the trader channels with no luck. I'm surprise now nobody sent me a tell telling what it really was.
    Hehe people can be fairly obscure about things when it makes perfect sense to themselves.

The one thing i have to do is make a macro about return item missions.. seems to be the #1 question on OOC

I had a guy walk up to me today in FT, I don't know why he picked me, the place was -packed- and I was in GS33 (lol?) and he asked me how he would go about getting 1 extra point of VGround, he had just scraped together enough cash for his very first ground car, now i remember when I got mine and how pyched I was.

So I explained about trickle down and how he could find an agent, get ES, and be on his way, or he could simply implant it. He said he'd rather be able to self equip his car, so I said, okay buy the implant and I'll make it for you, but alsa he wasn't sure how to go about it, so I told him all about Nano Nanny and iMatrix, and pointed him in the right direction, but told he I'd sort out the first implant.

Then I asked him to post up his current eye implant so I could closely match it, some random ql13 implant with pistol in it (he is a 1he enforcer!) so I then went on to explain to him all about the pre-made implants in the basic store, went and made him a QL50 VG implant.

He couldn't put it in. Not enough sense, and it was a 106 req, so again, I went off and showed him how to buff a bit, and I made him a temp QL10 chest implant.

All in all almost 30mins of chat, when I was suppose to be doing something, but I enjoyed it and he got his car on.
    Alexander "Talan" Calnid
    Currently AFK, will see you all in a few months
    Advisor of Shattered Dreams ~ My Equipment ~ Bio ~ My AO-Journal
    Alts of Note: "Malta" Desan ~ Equip || Jiro "Stone" Yamato ~ Equip || Jane "Lustywench" Scarlet ~ Equip || Scape ~ Equip

Tsukts: Yeah... You were the naked perv in bor. lol
    Talan: yep that was me
    Tsukts: I still have nightmares about you.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast