Talking

Roflol :d

laf
    Leave "Marinegent" AScar - 220/23/65 Atrox Agent
    Wakeup "Marinesold" Screaming - 220/30/70 Nanomage Soldier
    "Moonmarin" - 220/30/80 Solitus Martial Artist
    "Marinekeep" - 215/18/4x Atrox Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by CuisinartBlade View Post
    to be fair, 2.8k ar is enough to perk anyone except fixers, mas, advs, shades, nt's that blinded you, shield mps, bow mps that landed dazzle, def docs, crats, or marinesold

so all in all it's a fairly viable setup

I can't find the quote but it was similar, eloquent and not a joke.

Some fr00bs just won't pay for something so faulty. Even refusing to get things like Microsoft. It must be harsh remembering a time where people would be ashamed of selling something lower than the highest quality they are capable of producing.
    More Barbie instead of GI Joe game content, please!
    *Yngvild Lothe* ex AO quest designer -- "... So now you just want cheap thrills..." Classic server.
    Role Playing guide
    • Main account = Classic.

Phasefront can go jump in the ... oh wait it is already there!
    (Since openning, I have used the West Gate, Battle Station or NL grid point, twice).
    ALLNEUTS - always helping new players, regardless of faction.
    Neutral, can mean real freedom for you. ||| New year's resolution - stay off these forums. Hope you are happy now.
    Expansions don't enhance the game, they just extend it and make the beginning easier to catch up in order to race frantically at the "front"

Kahava - "... we had a civil community."

Old.

Also, "poor quality"... in the MMO world quality is obviously a term that's relative to the genre...
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Do you mean generation?

I don't remember any bugs in DOS and Wordperfect 5.x that I remember. Nibbles didn't crash nor did asteroids or block-out.

I have studied got my grubby little hands on some of the code written in the first MUDs and such, other working programs and games. Those who took pride in what they did or were paid for programming did unbelievable work. The clarity, cleanliness, lack of bugs and overall structure of the logic is amasing.

To draw a parrallel:

It is like studying a finely crafted wooden ship that was made for crossing oceans. It is slow but every surface is polished, even under the railings and tables, the joinery is perfection, the lines smooth and clean, the patterns, tones and colours of the woods matched as closely as possible. The sails are quality and pristine white, the rope of finest quality, hardly rubbing at your hands as they slide through but giving firm purchase as you clasp them. The wheel turns easily and smoothly, the ship tacking cleanly in the breeze to face the new heading.
    It is obvious even to the untrained eye that people who love their work made it and did it to the best of their ability. Whether they made profit or loss, it stands as a testiment to hard work, pride and achievement.

Then you climb back on the oil & water leaking, noisy, smokey, ugly, paint blistering, petrol and money guzzling, mass manufactured, cheap power boat.
    This leaves you wishing some of the past could be captured and leaves one with a sense of being cheated.

Which version of Dos are we talking about?

There was exploits in old ms-dos but at the time dos was the "thing" alot of biz did not store vital data digitally and it required actually knowing something about a computer to exploit.

MS-DOS 6.0 had the source code stolen awhile back and many have copies of it and it did have some issues but again..they are issues that required heavy knowledge of what was going on and in those days it wasnt common.

Yes your analogy of the ship does hold merit but I am sure you understand the bigger the ship the greater probability that one piece of the wood was left "unpolished"

Plus money is king of the world. Its everything...you can argue all day that its not but in the end you want more
    Last edited by Sir_Malak; Mar 17th, 2008 at 00:16:13.
    No longer plays. It ruins my life.

If I wanted more I would take action to get it. Instead I squander my sleeping hours jepaodising my job. I play games and do sports, I don't even study anymore.

I know my potential, have lead people, run part of a company where I had free reign, a company within a company. Found my replacement and moved on because I was bored.

I don't want to benefit society or be productive. I don't want to provide jobs for others so that they can survive. I already earn more than I "want" it is above what I need so I just save it. Maybe I will be bored enough or motivated enough some day do to pursue one of my dust collecting dreams. Who knows? I don't. I just prepare for a myriad of possibilities with the least amount of effort. Having become pretty much what I used to despise.

My week has little difference in it. I go to work, see the same people, talk to them less and less, grate on them more and more with my callousness and coldness. For they bore and irritate me now with their dull lives.
    I cycle or not to and from work, taking a bus or most frequently lately getting a lift with a colleague / friend.
    I come home, read, eat, bathe for hours or sleep.
    Weekends I may visit family, on invitation / request. That is why I am here in this city. To see my Gran more often before she dies. Otherwise, I go grocery shopping, restaurants or take-aways. I make some small talk with the people I have to interact with, those that work there. I am pleasant but distant.

If a stranger accosts me, "What music are you listening to?" I will cut them off and be very harsh, "What I am listening to is of no concern, there are better ways to discover new music to enjoy. That I have these head-phones on, such large ones, with the band over my head is a hint. However, a hint needs intelligence to grasp it. Have you got it yet or do I need to explain? Simply: I don't want to talk to anyone."
    It doesn't take long for the regular zombies in the area to learn to avoid me. That is a humorous way that I look at them. The way they walk so slowly, oblivious of their surroundings, not looking around, talking on their cell-phones. They are there for a reason but unsure what so they don't know what they are looking for, hoping it will leap out at them in a moment of clarity. Meanwhile, those of us who know where we want to go and what I want to buy before getting the heck out of there as quick as we can have to look for the gaps and paths of least resistance, offering up apologies if we miss-time it. Unwilling to stop and explain why we seek to move more quickly or why it is they who should apologise for being there in the way, unthinking, not buying, not really browsing, just gathering with the rest of the sheep where density is high and they might come across something they want. It would not take long to start a conversation, break the ice, ask the right questions and assist them but it takes time, they are not worth it and it will hurt them more when I seek to get rid of them as soon as I know them well and have found out all their points of interest.

So what is money? A token of work done. That some collect excessive amounts from other peoples' labour is exploitation but it is the way of leaders. The wolf feeding on the sheep and growing fat. The sheep bleating their gratitude as they get chased to fresh pastures.

I would rather stand back. Running with the sheep or the wolves from time to time, when I need some sustenance but otherwise keeping to my cave passing the hours and digging my grave deeper.

(Insincere apologies for the wall of text and its content. I should probably write and or save this offline.)
    Last edited by Jenshai; Mar 17th, 2008 at 03:00:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenshai View Post
    Do you mean generation?

It is like studying a finely crafted wooden ship that was made for crossing oceans. It is slow but every surface is polished, even under the railings and tables, the joinery is perfection, the lines smooth and clean, the patterns, tones and colours of the woods matched as closely as possible. The sails are quality and pristine white, the rope of finest quality, hardly rubbing at your hands as they slide through but giving firm purchase as you clasp them. The wheel turns easily and smoothly, the ship tacking cleanly in the breeze to face the new heading.
    It is obvious even to the untrained eye that people who love their work made it and did it to the best of their ability. Whether they made profit or loss, it stands as a testiment to hard work, pride and achievement.

Then you climb back on the oil & water leaking, noisy, smokey, ugly, paint blistering, petrol and money guzzling, mass manufactured, cheap power boat.
    This leaves you wishing some of the past could be captured and leaves one with a sense of being cheated.
    Sadly, this is from a time when labor was cheaper than technology and a time before mass production brought former luxuries to the masses. With mass production, technology, and the specialization of labor, there is no longer time for "craftsmen". Now it's "designed obselescence". It's a bittersweet reality because i too recognize that, not being one of the elite, many of the things i like to do now would be out of my financial reach only a few years / decades ago.

[QUOTE=Jenshai;5118558] Otherwise, I go grocery shopping, restaurants or take-aways. I make some small talk with the people I have to interact with, those that work there. I am pleasant but distant.

If a stranger accosts me, "What music are you listening to?" I will cut them off and be very harsh, "What I am listening to is of no concern, there are better ways to discover new music to enjoy. That I have these head-phones on, such large ones, with the band over my head is a hint. However, a hint needs intelligence to grasp it. Have you got it yet or do I need to explain? Simply: I don't want to talk to anyone."
    It doesn't take long for the regular zombies in the area to learn to avoid me. That is a humorous way that I look at them. The way they walk so slowly, oblivious of their surroundings, not looking around, talking on their cell-phones. They are there for a reason but unsure what so they don't know what they are looking for, hoping it will leap out at them in a moment of clarity. Meanwhile, those of us who know where we want to go and what I want to buy before getting the heck out of there as quick as we can have to look for the gaps and paths of least resistance, offering up apologies if we miss-time it. Unwilling to stop and explain why we seek to move more quickly or why it is they who should apologise for being there in the way, unthinking, not buying, not really browsing, just gathering with the rest of the sheep where density is high and they might come across something they want. It would not take long to start a conversation, break the ice, ask the right questions and assist them but it takes time, they are not worth it and it will hurt them more when I seek to get rid of them as soon as I know them well and have found out all their points of interest.

QUOTE]

Dann Jen...and i though i was bad

Do you mean generation?

I don't remember any bugs in DOS and Wordperfect 5.x that I remember. Nibbles didn't crash nor did asteroids or block-out.

I have studied got my grubby little hands on some of the code written in the first MUDs and such, other working programs and games. Those who took pride in what they did or were paid for programming did unbelievable work. The clarity, cleanliness, lack of bugs and overall structure of the logic is amasing.

To draw a parrallel:

No, I mean genre.

Your analogy is also about as leaky as the ship that most MMOs are...

Your old stuff, DOS, Nibbles, Asteroids and Wordperfect 5.0, they're wooden rafts and canoes, maybe even dinghies, but oar driven ones, not even with a sail yet.

In comparison to those, AO is a nuclear sub built by guys who really loved and believed in what they were doing, but really had very little clue as to how to build
    something like that. Such is the case with many MMOs, though these days with huge production teams you can't expect that kind of zeal from most of the people working on it. People trying to build something extremely complex, slowly getting better at it, but sticking mainly to old design ideas, people like the steamliner because it's safe, they don't want to go on the hydrofoil...
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    ... you can't expect that kind of zeal from most of the people working on it. People trying to build something extremely complex, slowly getting better at it, but sticking mainly to old design ideas, people like the steamliner because it's safe, they don't want to go on the hydrofoil...
    The "new" Anarchy now known as the classic game or RK versus the "improvements" for money making, expansions.

Ever seen a before and after of where a code optimising programmer does his job?

Even if it is a row boat, the two people gave it more attention and care than the thousand who built the nuclear submarine.

The "new" Anarchy now known as the classic game or RK versus the "improvements" for money making, expansions.

Ever seen a before and after of where a code optimising programmer does his job?

Even if it is a row boat, the two people gave it more attention and care than the thousand who built the nuclear submarine.
    If I recall correctly, Masta used to work for FC? I may be mistaken..

The classic AO that we all would've quit by now because there'd be nothing to do?
    The team currently working on AO are all very <3 about it and most are either playing or did play...

And apart from that, then I am not arguing at all that MMOs aren't generally pieces of trash...
    The Red Brotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    The classic AO that we all would've quit by now because there'd be nothing to do? ...
    Maybe it should have been polished and completed before starting something new?

Maybe you should have quit, maybe you intimidated and unconciously scared off other loyal supports and players?

Maybe SL should have been a place you could explore for a time before you had to chose where you stay, so that you couldn't go back to RK and people there would feel they were playing the full game?

For the new people there is still the whole of RK to do. There are more 13 year olds getting computers, internet connections and starting their MMO life every year. So maybe the old players should have been transplanted, pruned or willingly fallen over and gone to make room for the new?

Who is to say? So, "we all," who are you speaking for, besides yourself?

Maybe it should have been polished and completed before starting something new?

Maybe you should have quit, maybe you intimidated and unconciously scared off other loyal supports and players?

Maybe SL should have been a place you could explore for a time before you had to chose where you stay, so that you couldn't go back to RK and people there would feel they were playing the full game?

For the new people there is still the whole of RK to do. There are more 13 year olds getting computers, internet connections and starting their MMO life every year. So maybe the old players should have been transplanted, pruned or willingly fallen over and gone to make room for the new?

Who is to say? So, "we all," who are you speaking for, besides yourself?
    Where was the money for this polishing and completion supposed to come from? Developing new content captivates audiences and makes investors happy...

People quit all the time, come back, new ones join. What people don't want is a stagnant game where nothing evolves. The game was fine, if it had been more stable, 7 years ago, by the standards of the time... those standards have changed over the years and changing to try and meet the new standards, as MMOs need to do since developing a new one is rather expensive and more problematic, requires money. Money gained through the continual expansion and development to meet the expectations of the players, current, past and new.
    The Red Brotherhood

I think you guys just lost the point of the thread O.o
    Tresa "Cylie" Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Cylie View Post
    I think you guys just lost the point of the thread O.o
    Bashing AO? I'll derail any thread about that.
    The Red Brotherhood

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast