Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [New Content]Alien mission and Abduction

The ideas are great. But they are flawed. Many of the things described would be hard to solve practically within AO's extremely simple and age old engine. Also, it seems many steps haven't been thought through too well, only focusing on certain professions.

There's also balance issues. I bet players would be plenty pissed getting their hard to twink on items removed. And what if they can't get them on again, since they're not able to get the required buffs? Being involuntarily abducted and loosing your gear will result in a massive player uproar. Bad idea.

And what about death? What happens when you die? Restart in this alien "dungeon"? So a player who cannot beat the boss (or maybe not even get halfway through the mission) are stuck forever? Or do you end up on RK? Well, then shouldn't the mission be accomplished, since you feld the ship? /terminate seems to be the best way of fleeing in that case.

No, back to the drawing table. Great ideas at core, but bad implementation suggestions.
    Main:
    Ignyte
    President of Corporate Justice (Atlantean)

Gameplayer
    Editor, Writer

2 Thumbs Up

This sounds Great would make the game alot more fun, we dont have a big ORG or an expensive town we seldom fight aliens I think being in a group and having a chance to fight some aliens would be a very cool idea.

BUMP

this most certainly sounds like a lot of fun!!
    AlexisMarie (217 MP) "LFT plz" : Stuff
    Phelicia (190 Doc) : Stuff
    HaleyMarie (129 Eng)
    JadeMarie (115 MA)

Quote Originally Posted by Labelslave
    The ideas are great. But they are flawed. Many of the things described would be hard to solve practically within AO's extremely simple and age old engine. Also, it seems many steps haven't been thought through too well, only focusing on certain professions.
    Well, if we limit our suggestions by what's "easy to solve" then we'd just get more of the same boring missions/dynacamps/static dungeons etc.
    Agreed though, since it is basically a solo mission there has to be enough ways to progress that everyone, regardless of profession, have a chance of succeeding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Labelslave
    There's also balance issues. I bet players would be plenty pissed getting their hard to twink on items removed. And what if they can't get them on again, since they're not able to get the required buffs? Being involuntarily abducted and loosing your gear will result in a massive player uproar. Bad idea.

And what about death? What happens when you die? Restart in this alien "dungeon"? So a player who cannot beat the boss (or maybe not even get halfway through the mission) are stuck forever? Or do you end up on RK? Well, then shouldn't the mission be accomplished, since you feld the ship? /terminate seems to be the best way of fleeing in that case.
    Agreed, the "mission" would have to start right after you've gotten your stuff back. Or right before the aliens try to take them away.

Just like on the other alien ships death would mean you'd respawn on RK or wherever you last saved. Remember you were given ample opportunity to avoid the alien ship if you hadn't saved for a while. It would still be alot different from normal missions, apart from alien mobs, in that there might not be an easy way to return after death so you'd need to watch your step.
    The mission should not be to just escape, you'd need to get some alien info, free others, sabotage the ship or whatever.
    May your RD always kick in between death and reclaim.
    Honest Businessmen and women: The Mockers
    I eat Grid Armor nanos. *BURP* Hungry again!
    Power Users run Anarchy Online from Linux.

You have a point, and that way it could be working with the game mechanics as they are in their simple form.

But, then again, if you receive those missions just because you get abducted and are alone on the ship... who is giving you all those missions? I kinda hate game elements without logical explanations

Hmm... Maybe it's a quest really? You are sent to explore certain areas where people are known to be abducted (a few specific locations on RK), to gather intelligance on what happens. And when getting to those areas, you get abducted. (Being able to get abducted anywhere on RK is a bad idea. Think of blitzers who would get annoyed, and all PvP twinks heading out to battle, just to be snatched up ona an alienship)

Only problem remaining then would be how you actually get abducted... Collision doesn't really work in AO, so it can't be that you are hit by that beam of light. Must find out some workaround for that.
    Last edited by Labelslave; Sep 30th, 2004 at 16:03:06.
    Main:
    Ignyte

Gameplayer
    Editor, Writer

I can see the point about stuff being taken away. I would be pulling my hair out if my wings disappeared. I had to borrow a lot of stuff to get them to 282 and get them on, so they don't come off no matter what at the moment.
    HaleyMarie (129 Eng)
    JadeMarie (115 MA)

Kinda thought about this a moment....

I kinda put some thought into this idea and reworked the concept. See what you guys think.

First, I like the idea of entering an area where abductions are likeley to occur. But instead of a quest, it would be like the suprression gas advisory. In the middle of your screen you would get a warning of high alien activity in the area. As your walking around in the area, you would see alien ships flying around. They would move in to postion to abduct you and a tractor beam will open up under the ship. At this point you could evade the beam area or enter the beam to get tractored into it. Not really realistic from an abduction stand point, but gives people a choice on the abduction. I would be annoyed if I was passing through an area to complete a mission and I was randomely upducted.

Second, instead of taking your items, you have a negative buff placed on you. Maybe reducing your Nano Skills, or weapon skills. So the first part of the quest would be to get rid of the negative buff. Maybe talk to one NPC in the starting area. Kill a few Mobs, bring him some items to remove the negative buff.

Next you would have a quest from one part of the ship, to the next. In each area you will have an insurance and recovery NPC. Each area would have places with respawnable MOBS, so If you have to level up to beat the boss/ or quest boss. You can.

Lastly, when you will be dropped outside the abduction zone, so you do not accidently get re-abducted will changing areas. Also Areas would be level based. So getting abducted in Newland would be lower level then being abducted in Broken Shores.

Just a few ideas on the concept.
    Last edited by Epicuras; Sep 30th, 2004 at 16:04:42. Reason: added one last thought

That sounds a lot better and more reasonable
    Main:
    Ignyte

Gameplayer
    Editor, Writer

ok that is reasonable changes I could even tolarate a hit to nano skills just have to be prepared for the first part.
    HaleyMarie (129 Eng)
    JadeMarie (115 MA)

Talking Glad I could be of service!

Glad some people liked the ideas. To bad it will never happen. To many legal issues with taking ideas from a non-paid personal and using it in game. No matter how much we say we do not care about the pay. But we can dream, have fun.

Bumpy Bump.

Yes, that would be really nice. Yeah, something different, at least, from killing, killing, killing, wich is 90 percent of time what we do on Rubi Ka or in Shadowlands.

Of course, we'll have to kill Aliens to escape or to investigate some crashed ship, but the funny thing is in hacking the alien technology "without violence" (well, except if you choose to shot at lock instead of hacking it ), and acquiring some extra buffs and/or abilities while you're still in an alien environment.

Bump !

And please, just do it Funcom !
    Polissonne (retired)

Love this. Abduct me!
    Last edited by Moridin; Mar 22nd, 2005 at 18:30:42.
    Moridin(Equip) Keeper Keeso Shade - Member of Haven
    Killer: 60% Explorer: 60% Socializer: 53% Achiever: 26%
    Your type is: KES. 1% of respondents so far fall into that type.

bump on this. I have a suggesion on the cell idea. Maybe add two new quests with this idea. Each quest will give the player a permanant item to allow them to break free from the aliens restraints that is on you while on the ship. When you are on the ship you have 2 nanos that run on you. One would be a neral control that would make you go unconcious. So if you don't wear the item to inhibit the neral control you won't be able to do the alien abduction mission at all.

When you get adbucted without the item to inhibit the nano you just black out and wake back up in a few secs so no wasted time being stuck on the ship. So say you get the neral control inhibitor chip but don't get the next item to break free from the root/calm field that you are trapped on the ship you will get to see the aliens but you won't be able to move or attack.

However instead of being on the ship stuck and bored you'll get to see the aliens do tests and experiments on you and give ya clue as to why they have abducted you.

The final item will be alike permanant free movement item that you quest for which will also be soloable and will allow you to disrupt the hold field and thus allowing you to fight back on the ship. Then you can work your way through the ship and see what kind of research they were doing on you.

When you kill the boss have him drop a key and it also signals to a mother ship that you have escaped from there research vessel. This will make the mother ship realize that their research is at threat of being compromised and they order the ship to self destruct.

So with the exit key in hand you have to run back to the hanger area where you originally were on the ship and use the key on a computer to open the ship exit to flee the doomed ship. Maybe if its not too graphically demanding have the ships lights go off and on and other effects to make the flee for survival a little disorienting also because the ships engine core is overloading causing the system to act up on it.

If you get abducted and just have the first item the abduction scene should only last for a few moments and then warp you back to RK a little disoriented and confused about what just happened to you. Also maybe only allow the abduction scene to happen only the first time you get abducted with only the first item and for the remaining times you just black out or something.

Either way great idea. You can go alot of ways with it and it makes the game fun and also makes the aliens not be controled by players.

Bump for something that remove the raid only alien content.
    Troll Commando, doing the dirty work that need to be done.

great idea

bump for a very good idea now if only fc would work on it

I like these ideas. Hope funcom is listening.
    Until funcom makes bellum legwear I will boycott pants alltogether.

Very nice, Im have a 201 keeper main and I hardly see any aliens around while I have the expansion.
    Altho I do have to point out that the aliens are not here to obduct anyone. They are simply here to kill people.
    So the idea of setting off alien ships who have landed is good imo and maybe adding the chance of being attacked by aliens while you're outside of the cities might be good too.

*big bump*
    My title Keeper. My mind on my grind. Assembly's my heart. They shine when I shine.

Kyarash "Legaron" Davoudi
    Keeper of Assembly

"Seen through human experience there are as many worlds as there are humans. Understanding that the word "human" defines a point in eternity and not a seperate reality is the begining of knowing"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast