Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: AO Linux HOWTO

What's your everage fps ? at bb ent for eg.

You are running it in windowed mode too.. you performance should be low (specially with ATI), it was the case for me :-/

I'm crashing right after login screen... Windows dissapears for a second, then appears again (black background) closes, and I get 'AO crashed, do u want to report it to funcom?" message
    If A = B and B = C, then A = C, except where void or prohibited by law.

I seem to have the same problem as Shivx described at start of page 5:

err:font:WineEngInit FreeType support is not compiled in to wine, some font functionality will be disabled.
    err:task:GetThreadQueue16 Breaking 16 bit for tid 2
    err:task:GetThreadQueue16 Breaking 16 bit for tid 3
    err:win:CreateWindowExW bad class name L"{8856F961-340A-11D0-A96B-00C04FD705A2}"

Question

For those of you who have been able to get it working, I don't suppose it has fixed the run-away memory usage that plagues windows users. Please say yes, and I will devote my life (or the next 3 months) to getting AO working on Linux on my gaming rig...
    Enginel
    General, Angels of the Night

Alts: Emaynel, Snipernel, Tradernel, Nursenel, Fixitnel, Nukernel (seeing a pattern here?)

Cedega installed just fine, and I can run AO to the login screen.

However, when I try to patch, the patcher never comes up, the login window stops refreshing, and I get a prompt back in the terminal window where I started aocedega from.

Two wine processes continue to run in the background till I kill them.

I tried putting backed up patch files in the Anarchy Online/Patches directory, but that didn't help any.

Wow, I would sooo happy to get this working but have fallen at the first hurdle.

Seems like there is a problem logging onto the Transgaming CVS site:
    (from ~./WineCVS/sources/aocedega/ErrorLog)

"PAM start error: Critical error - immediate abort
    Fatal error, aborting.
    cvs [checkout aborted]: unrecognized auth response from cvs.transgaming.org: pam failed to release authenticator"

Google seems to suggest that my PAM setup isnt correct...

Any ideas whats wrong here ?

Cheers,
    m

Quote Originally Posted by melfster
    Wow, I would sooo happy to get this working but have fallen at the first hurdle.

Seems like there is a problem logging onto the Transgaming CVS site:
    (from ~./WineCVS/sources/aocedega/ErrorLog)

"PAM start error: Critical error - immediate abort
    Fatal error, aborting.
    cvs [checkout aborted]: unrecognized auth response from cvs.transgaming.org: pam failed to release authenticator"

Google seems to suggest that my PAM setup isnt correct...

Any ideas whats wrong here ?
    Nothing wrong with your PAM mate, it's the InstallCedega.sh script that dont do a proper cvs login when you try to checkout the CVS. Do the following steps and you will be able to check out the source.

Code:
    export CVSROOT=":pserver:cvs@cvs.transgaming.org:/cvsroot"    
    cvs login
    When asked for password use 'cvs' without the '', and the rest of the script shall run smoothly.

Good luck.
    Smuzz - 220 - NT - RK1
    Proud General of the Squishy Unit in Ragnarok
    The Reclaiminator

You are a star SMuZZ, download worked a treat

Suse didnt install gcc using default install options (!?!) so the build failed. Hopefully should be just a case of installing the missing dev modules from the CDs.....

cheers,
    m

[root@localhost doug]# ./aocedega
    fixmesdrv:PSDRV_BITMAP_SelectObject stub

anyone found a solution for the above errors yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Shivx
    [root@localhost doug]# ./aocedega

anyone found a solution for the above errors yet?
    All of those messages normally appear, so if you're having a problem I dont know what it is. But I have some stuff to announce, so read on to my next post.
    Check out my HOWTO run AO in Linux: https://forums.anarchy-online.com/sh...hreadid=321249

Exclamation

Hello everyone, I hope people have been enjoying AO in Linux. I'm happy to announce that Cedega 4.1 is now available. This is the first binary release to contain the patches I submitted a few months ago. I recommend subscribing and using this release to play AO in Linux, especially for those of you who have had issues getting CVS to compile and run on your systems. There are differences between subscribing and building from CVS .

Why you should get Cedega 4.1:
    • Easier to install
    • Water and yalm textures look correct
    • Better tech support with Cedega than I can provide

Why you should not get Cedega 4.1:
    • If you have an ATI card, you wont get much improvement in AO
    • You want to continue using my script that automatically updates off of my website to provide you the latest patches, if I release any.
    • You are really broke. (How do you pay for AO? )

One thing I want to clear up--because a lot of people get hung up on the word subscription. A subscription gets you access to the Cedega bins and tech support for 3 months. At that point you can either renew or cancel, but if you cancel you can still run whatever version of Cedega you have, just not download a new one.

Yes the water is now fully textured, but it requires the FFOVS enhancements that are only in 4.1 (and only for certain nvidia cards). If this is not a big deal for you and you are already up and running with the CVS build, then you can stay as you are.

There will be some changes with the HOWTO since I expect the 4.1 release to make most of the information on it less important. I will keep it online for those who still want to build from CVS, but I will be taking advantage of the Unofficial Transgaming Wiki setup by Omega from irc. He just added an AO page and I will be moving my troubleshooting section to the wiki. Hopefully I can also add some answers to additional questions as they come up.
    Last edited by mariusmod; Oct 22nd, 2004 at 07:25:24.
    Check out my HOWTO run AO in Linux: https://forums.anarchy-online.com/sh...hreadid=321249

Well I went ahead and plopped down the $15 for full Cedega.
    I get further than I did before, but when I select the character and begin logging in, I see the screen come up with the AO logo, then it crashes with this error:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    /usr/bin/cedega anarchy.exe
    [root@localhost Anarchy Online]# Number of color bits are set to 32 when making depth-buffer.
    Attemting to make 32 bit depth-buffer and 0 bit stencil buffer.
    Succeeded to make 32 bit depth-buffer with a 0 bit stencil-buffer.
    Running Lock-buffer-1 at 8, 8
    Number of color bits are set to 32 when making depth-buffer.
    Running Lock-buffer-1 at 8, 8
    Number of color bits are set to 32 when making depth-buffer.
    Using RdbDSN cd_image/data/
    ERROR: failed reading ground data for tile-map 540
    ERROR: the memory pool "n3Zone_t" contains unfreed slots!
    ERROR: - deleting pool (slotsize=60): 400 of 1000 slots not freed!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

any ideas? I'm really close here!

thanks!

ERROR: failed reading ground data for tile-map 540
    This is the only su****ious line. Where is your character camped? Have you tried creating a new character, or logging in another one? Maybe one that is camped inside of a shop or other indoor location?

I would hope that this is not an issue, but then again I cant test every zone.

I've tried all my chars, some logged in old athen, some on jobe platform, some in elysium...
    get errors on all though with different playfields. Haven't tried creating a new char though.

Using your install script for aocedega, and ran an update tonight.
    However im still unable to get it running at all

The error i recieve:
    Code:
    err:module:BUILTIN32_dlopen failed to load .so lib for builtin oledlg.dll: /usr/lib/aocedega/lib/liboledlg.so: undefinedsymbol: dllname
    err:module:PE_fixup_imports Module (file) oledlg.dll (which is needed by C:\Anarchy Online\anarchy.exe) not found
    Im not familiar with WineX/Cedega at all, so any pointers would be welcome.
    Lord "Khalem" Trevallien -=- Fixer Kingpin, proud officer and Loremaster of Ancarim Iron Legion
    Sir "Eoemar" Trevallien -=- Supreme Creator
    http://ao.shadow-realm.org/ - The Shadowlands Library -=- http://ai.shadow-realm.org/ - The Alien Invation library
    http://bebot.shadow-realm.org/ - BeBot - An Anarchy Online Chat Automaton
    http://aodevs.com/ - Anarchy Online 3rd party developers resource

"Frustration is not a good emotion when it comes to playing games."
    -- Former AO Game Director Marius Enge

Quote Originally Posted by Khalem
    Using your install script for aocedega, and ran an update tonight.
    However im still unable to get it running at all

The error i recieve:
    Code:
    err:module:BUILTIN32_dlopen failed to load .so lib for builtin oledlg.dll: /usr/lib/aocedega/lib/liboledlg.so: undefinedsymbol: dllname
    err:module:PE_fixup_imports Module (file) oledlg.dll (which is needed by C:\Anarchy Online\anarchy.exe) not found
    Im not familiar with WineX/Cedega at all, so any pointers would be welcome.
    Looks like liboledlg.so is not there. This is a file that is created by the compile process, so there is probably something wrong with the build system. Maybe some missing headers. CVS cedega hasnt been updated in a while. If you were looking to upgrade, version 4.1 is a binary release (see first post).

I tested Cedega 4.1 and I must say it's not as stable as aocedega. I got crashes in places where I never crashed with aocedega before. My guess it's the new code for D3D?

Anyway, I'll stick to aocedega for playing AO.
    Michael "Kumagan" Mokkiez [Retired, RIP]
    ִ
    ִִ B L A C K ִִִ T H O R N S
    ִִִִִִִ To Serve. To Protect. To Rule.
    ִ

Maybe I need to ditch Fedora..
    still getting the

ERROR: failed reading ground data for tile-map 4530
    ERROR: the memory pool "n3Zone_t" contains unfreed slots!
    ERROR: - deleting pool (slotsize=60): 255 of 1000 slots not freed!

that or I need to figure out how to play without ground textures

fiddled and tweaked as much as I know how.. stuck here till the next version of cedega i guess...

Ok...
    I switched to Mepis and all is well.

In retrospect I think I was screwing up royally. I think my windows drive had Alien Invasion and linux only had Shadowlands. I copied everything over from windows to get patched up without realizing it. I suppose that would account for improper ground textures.

DOH!

Using Cedega 4.1.1 and I've tried download 4.1 I am still unable to run AO. If I let it go fullscreen it just messes up my resolution but closes the window without ever logging in. If I force it into a window it kills my whole X-server no error output whatsoever...Any ideas?

System in question:
    Compaq Presario 2100 (laptop)
    Suse 9.1
    Radeon IGP 340M 3d Acceleration *IS* enabled

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast