Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Upcomming nerf?

Originally posted by Hendrix

hehe sure just give me a few billion and ill go buy one... funcom really needs to think about the neutral soldiers out there.. i want a neutral only gun like the spas and coops
    ok... get yourself a OT application form.
    Gimp IRL.

well i think its unfair that we dont get an alternative to perennium and mbc like you guys get with coop and spas
    Surespeed- lvl 136 Fixer
    Sureauto- lvl 105 Soldier
    Autopsia- lvl 91 Shade

The Fixer with the extra invisible shoulder to have his pads on.. for gods sake fix this funcom

And I think its unfair that omnis/clans HAVE TO farm faction from stupid mobs like Galahad/Mordeth.

Back to the topic now :b
    Gimp IRL.

Originally posted by Gruntpanda
    And I think its unfair that omnis/clans HAVE TO farm faction from stupid mobs like Galahad/Mordeth.

Back to the topic now :b
    ownd! /applause
    Ancestors could hear what is happening now
    They would turn in their graves
    they would all be ashamed - that the land of the free
    has been written in chains
    And I know what I want - when the timing is right
    then I'll take what is mine
    I am the clansman

Originally posted by Gruntpanda

ok... get yourself a OT application form.
    No way in hell ! Clan is way to go !!
    "Many philosophical problems are caused by such things as the simple inability to shut up."
    I am Luciesa - Octowuss - Ssupotco

still addicted since 2001-07-03 11:55:38

There is nothing wrong about soldiers being uber high dmg dealers... let us have this plz?
    To make skill lock modifier not affect specials is just being mean!
    † MrWise2000 †

they talkin about skill mod is over powering? when r they gonna nerf doc? they pretty much as god in AO now. They always nerf soldier.

Skill lock will provide a rather tough nerf on JAME and MBC using support professions like docs.

The professions loosing the least from this is Enfs, MAs , Shades , keepers and Agents.
    My big Soldier & His Setup
    My little Soldier
    Mad, dangerous, and hairy beyond Reason

I love the thought that dumb people don't know who they are. I hope I'm not one of them.

Booo hisss.
    Inte "Telendor" Akera.

"Every Human life is a spark in the darkness. It flares for a moment, catches the eye, and is gone forever, a retinal-after image that fades is obscured forever by newer brighter lights."

I can only pray for this to arrive soon

haha, having a bit of trouble keeping aggro from Soldiers Ninj00? ^^
    Krause Equip

*** Krause's Evil WTB Thread! (Weird/Odd Stuff) ***
    (Items like "Lost Faith/Hope", "Wreath of Insects", "Chirop Exoskeleton Wing Mesh", "Small Jar", "Old Barrel")
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This is going to get done if it kills me or preferably someone else.

Removed and sold headband and ring today, not so much to cry about really
    Ancestors could hear what is happening now
    They would turn in their graves
    they would all be ashamed - that the land of the free
    has been written in chains
    And I know what I want - when the timing is right
    then I'll take what is mine
    I am the clansman

Originally posted by Inarion
    Skill lock will provide a rather tough nerf on JAME and MBC using support professions like docs.

The professions loosing the least from this is Enfs, MAs , Shades , keepers and Agents.
    MBC will always be fast....

...as for the professions "loosing the least".....as far as specials go...they never -had- anything to lose....its that simple....well agent always had AS....and it was always quick....donno why you put that in there....

Well my reasoning for agents is that agent PvM damage is reliant on 1/1 damage and perks for the most part.. at least in inferno and pandemomnium.
    My big Soldier & His Setup
    My little Soldier
    Mad, dangerous, and hairy beyond Reason

I love the thought that dumb people don't know who they are. I hope I'm not one of them.

<newblet pokes his head in>

Eh could somebody point me to a linky that explains wth skill lock is and how it works pls?
    Zaxxan
    Lvl 205 Soldier
    Clan
    House Maadiah

If you don't like the XP pool because you are "Old School":
    After you die type "/terminate"........ right I didn't think so.

Originally posted by Cz

Fast recharging of specials should come from skills, not from a general modifier. Those using burst, full auto, fast attack, etc at best speed should be those skilled in the attacks, not those who happen to have the best general "do stuff fast" modifier. As an example, Soldiers should do fast Full Auto attacks, while Doctors should not. At least that's my take on it.

I agree 100000 %

Does that mean that to balance the lost of skillock bonuses skills will have more impact on specials recharge ?

If that's what is planned I can't wait for the change, damage imput linked to your skills is always good. We as soldiers have enough skills to balance out that loss if you just rearrange a bit how skills work on specials recharge formulas.

If what's planned is a plain nerf to skillock bonuses with no other change to balance out our damage output then I will be much less happy, since it's true we soldiers will be the ones hit the most by far from this nerf.
    Solo lvl 216+ clan soldier RK1

equipment

Originally posted by Cz

The effect of the skill lock modifier on specials and how that skews the damage balance has been discussed for a long time in Funcom. It's not something we suddenly discovered recently. However, we only recently agreed that something had to be done ASAP (not "later"), and how it should be done. And yes, this agreement was pushed through much due to the insane recharge time non-weapon professions got.

Fast recharging of specials should come from skills, not from a general modifier. Those using burst, full auto, fast attack, etc at best speed should be those skilled in the attacks, not those who happen to have the best general "do stuff fast" modifier. As an example, Soldiers should do fast Full Auto attacks, while Doctors should not. At least that's my take on it.

I agree that the "do stuff faster" aspect should NOT be a non-discriminating bonus to everyone. Rather than removing the skill lock modifier from affecting weapon specials (An intruiging feature of the game as previously mentioned), put in place a profession based cap on specials. IE, the fastest an NT can burst on any weapon is 11 seconds vs a fixer who might have a 7 second cap...Or, the fastest a crat can FA is 22 seconds, while a soldier could get down to 10 seconds with the right gear. Professions already have skill caps based on their weapon-using abilities, so why not a weapon special cycle cap independant of weapon? It seems to me a better fix than just yanking something out of the game that the entire player base is interested in.

Lets be hontest, no one cares about first aid or graft cycle times. Grafts are useless, and while first aid is important, getting it out 2 seconds earlier is not. Lets face it, if getting your first aid in 2 seconds earlier changes the outcome of a battle, you and your opponent are gimps

So far, I'm happy to see CZ responding intelligently and thoughtfully to people who are posting on this topic. Maybe it is just to provide us, the players, with a false sense of importance and care from the staff, but I'm hoping player feedback will lessen the impending hammer stroke of doom that is skill lock removal from weapon specials.
    Feminatrix -> 214 Doc (retired)
    Femynatryx -> 214 Engie (tskills)
    Feminatriix -> 179 Soldier (228 coop)
    Femynatrix -> Lil Twink PvP Trader
    Feminatryx -> Lil Doc
    Feminatrox -> Lil Twink PvP Trox Enf

To all posting things like 'docs are gods'....

You need to take a gander at MPs...If I'm a god as a doc, I'm some sort of lesser god...maybe a god of garden gnomes. MPs are Zeus and Poseiden combined, if you catch my drift.

-MPs have higher weapon skill caps than docs and can use a wider variety of symbs therefore doing more straight up weapon damage.

-MP pets FAR FAR out damage DoTs and don't require recasting THREE of them inside 30 seconds. /pet attack, q, /afk

-MP stun combined with MP mezz pet is WAY better than UBT...again the pet is automagic and won't require constant recasting

-MP heal pet is nice and works on pets...ok its not doc-quality healing, but it is still nice...and its automatic!

The other day on Tara, an MP did twice as much damage as the next highest person on DD.
    Feminatryx -> Lil Doc

Cz, more thoughts on ways to keep skill lock affecting weapon specials:

Perhaps a diminishing returns forumla, based on profession, for -skill lock's affect on weapon cycles.

Example (just using arbitrary numbers that in no way indicate a fair or balanced skill lock):

A crat and a soldier both have -40 skill lock.

The diminishing returns formula says that for a crat, any skill lock greater than -30 is half as effective, and for a soldier any skill lock greater than -45 is half as effective.

Therefore, in our example case, the soldier will truly have -40 skill lock, but the crat will have -35.

An additional level of complexity, incorporating part of my previous idea of cycle caps based on profession (independant of weapon), would be to create a diminishing return formula of -skill lock on each special based on profession. An example of this idea:

Fixers, the burst masters, would have a diminishing return on burst set at -40 skill lock, fling at -35, Full Auto at -30, etc etc.

Soldier, the full auto masters, would have a diminishing return set at -40 for full auto, but -35 for burst, etc etc.

For docs, you'd prolly want to have fling at like -30, but everything else at -25 or -20 as the point of diminishing returns.

If some system like this were incorporated, we could maintain the diversity we see now with people gimping themselves for -skill lock
    for that extra little bit of damage, but it wouldn't have such a drastic affect on damage. And yes, full control crepescule on a soldier is friggin gimp, but hey, I like to see non-cookie cutter characters

These caps could be disclosed to the players so that they may calculate their own special caps based on weapon skills.
    Last edited by Feminatrix; May 31st, 2004 at 09:22:08.
    Feminatryx -> Lil Doc

This nerf was needed. Skill lock is a huge bugfest as it stands.

Soldiers are damage dealer/tanks We are a decent soloers, we are needed in teams due to shields and damge buffs, and we still pack a good punch.

I have never regretted making a soldier, I regret making him atrox though considering the retarded 3 skill symb requirements when our base main abillities suck so much, but thats a trox issue not a soldier issue.

bottom line is we still kick ass, skill lock or not.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast