Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Snowglobe's AO Terminology List

Originally posted by Soriana
    Good list, I'd like to note a few things about auras though. As far as I know, only bureaucrat auras are called speaches. Also, many SL auras have much lower refresh than 20 seconds.
    I've never quite understood the idea of auras actually. Since they restart as soon as they're finished how are they functionally different from a continuous buff? Is there a gap in coverage in between when one cycle stops and the next one begins? There doesn't appear to be. Is there someone who can provide an authoritative definition of auras?

All submissions are noted and will be added to the master list when I update next.

Might want to elaborate Alpha, maybe:

"Alpha - aka alpha strike - The initial output damage of a character in the beginning of a fight in either PvP or PvM; Weapons specials fired off in fast succession, might involve weapon switching to allow utilization of all possible specials." Long, feel free to shorten up
    Rubber "Zhoknerfer" Critducky - Gear & Perks - Level 210 :: 11 - Opifex Martial Artist Guru
    Rubber "Xephydes" Ducky - Level 214 :: 2 - Nanomage Meta-Physicist Deity - Clan Meta-Physicist since February 19th, 2002
    Rubber "Premortem" Stabducky - TL5 :: 7 Opifex Shade

On extended leave... Awaiting Lost Eden I guess

Arcane Circle

WoW: Premortem, Night Elf Rogue, Draenor EU Server

BB also stands for Blaster Beetle, although only old-school AOers would likely know that

zerg-? Seen it used but have no definition. Used in context of raids and/or tower battles.
    BigGreen
    Advisor of Rising Phoenix
    www.risingphoenix.org

current setup

zerg or zerging - throwing massive numbers of people at a mob/tower/area/raid without thought to strategy or planning, hoping to take it down before it kills everyone.

its comes from Starcraft...the little alien creatures were called Zerg, and you could build massive armies of little aliens called Zerglings, that, while not powerful alone, could level massive areas with ease when you had like 70 of them. They were cheap to build and you didn't care if they died. A common tactic became to make huge camps of zerglings while the other person was building up their defenses, grab as many as you can, send them in suicide style....grab the next group, rinse and repeat. It took no skill, no planning, no anything...you would just "zerg" the other player to death.
    ACCOUNT STATUS
    Cancelled
    This account was cancelled at:
    2004-11-07 04:09:22
    It will remain playable until : 2004-12-06 15:13:07

suxxor & roxxor is leet talk

isnt alpha actually series of specialattacks (not only one)?
    Quote Originally Posted by cbus97 View Post
    Oho my good man. Perhaps – and of course good sir this is only suggestion, but a most earnest one at that, I can assure you – a fine gentleman such as yourself might be forthwith moved to transfer ownership of the contents of your inventory to a handsome and deserving chap, namely myself, in a timely fashion?

Originally posted by Koi

isnt alpha actually series of specialattacks (not only one)?
    Originally posted by Xephydes
    Might want to elaborate Alpha, maybe:

"Alpha - aka alpha strike - The initial output damage of a character in the beginning of a fight in either PvP or PvM; Weapons specials fired off in fast succession, might involve weapon switching to allow utilization of all possible specials." Long, feel free to shorten up
    Now it's up to Snowglobe to update or shorten
    Rubber "Zhoknerfer" Critducky - Gear & Perks - Level 210 :: 11 - Opifex Martial Artist Guru
    Rubber "Xephydes" Ducky - Level 214 :: 2 - Nanomage Meta-Physicist Deity - Clan Meta-Physicist since February 19th, 2002
    Rubber "Premortem" Stabducky - TL5 :: 7 Opifex Shade

On extended leave... Awaiting Lost Eden I guess

Arcane Circle

WoW: Premortem, Night Elf Rogue, Draenor EU Server

Couple of additions for the list:

Cyberdeck (abbrev. deck): A Nanotech-only item that boosts nanoskills, allows the use of certain programs but blocks access to conventional weapons

Counter: When a nano program is successfully executed, but the target manages to avoid the effects.

Chain Counter: See "Chain", "Counter" and "NT screaming with frustration".

Originally posted by Snowglobe
    I've never quite understood the idea of auras actually. Since they restart as soon as they're finished how are they functionally different from a continuous buff?
    The thing about crat auras is that you have to stay really close to the aura wearer to get the effect.

Some other auras (like SL soldier reflects/damage buffs, umbrals, keeper auras, crat xp aura) have a short duration and affect the team only, so you have to have the aura wearer in your team to get the effect.

So auras are much more limited than permanent buffs.
    ingame: RK2 /tell chiggabugga

wc = wrong channel (same as mt for mistype)
    wc = welcome (you are welcome)
    Tip of the day: Don't spend IP unless you know what good it is for. - Afelia
    Clever phrasing does not equal logic.
    Shadrock - advy
    Daedrick - MA
    Meritt- doc
    Doulos - engy

List updated. Added or modified the following entries:

AC2 - Asheron's Call 2, another MMORPG

alpha - a high damage output attack used to open a fight, usually in the form of one or several weapons specials fired off in quick succession, might involve weapon switching to allow utilization of all possible specials, a.k.a. alpha strike

auras - area buffs/debuffs that recycle periodically

BB - 1. Bronto Burger, usually refering to the Bronto Burger in Omni Entertainment 2. billboard, meaning the billboard on the hill in Old Athen, a common meeting spot 3. long ago refered to blaster beetle, a mob that was once hunted commonly for xp

BBL - be back layer

BOHICA - bend over here it comes again, meaning "we're about to get screwed"

burst - a weapon special which delivers 3 bullets in a single attack

CoH - 1. Crypt of Home, a dungeon in Broken Shores 2. City of Heroes, another MMORPG 3. Coven of Hunters, a well known Clan guild on Rimor

coop -1. cooperator assault rifle, a soldier only weapon 2. co-op, an expression used at raids (primarily mercs) where two or more guids/bots will cooperate to take down the mercs splitting the loot

CoT - Council of Tir, part of the AO backstory

countered - when a nano program is successfully executed, but the target manages to avoid the effects.

deck - cyberdeck, a nanotech-only item that boosts nanoskills, allows the use of certain programs but blocks access to conventional weapons

EQ2 - Everquest 2, another MMORPG

FA - full Auto - a weapon special which empties the gun's full clip of bullets into the target 2. the first aid skill

faction - a system of points which are acquired or lost by killing aligned mobs found in Shadowlands, you can see your faction by typing /open faction

FFA - free for all 1. used in a team meaning loot goes to whoever grabs it first. 2. used at a raid to indicate loot will go to whichever team does the most damage and wins loot rights

FFIX - Final Fantasy IX, another MMORPG

FRN - Finely Refined Notum, one of parts needed to make Tier 3 glyph

kthxbye - "OK, thanks, bye" usually intended in a joking way

L2 - Lineage 2, another MMORPG

MBC - Massive Bolt Charger , a desirable weapon from Shadowlands, requiring a large amount of Heavy Weapons skill to equip

mercs - mercenaries, a group of high level unique mobs which are periodically spawned at the primus camp in Eastern Fouls Plains, place holders must be killed in order to spawn an NPC named Otacustes (a.k.a. Ota) who is given a letter obtained through a short quest and will in turn spawn the mercs, the mercs appear inside a stone ring inside the camp and must be pulled to a large multi-team force waiting to take them down, they drop coveted azure armor amoung other things

NSD - Nano Shutdown, an MP nano that debuffs all nano skills -2000, having an MP (or agent) along who can cast NSD is important in many high level raids to stop certain mobs from casting devastating area nukes

ota - Otacustes, an NPC which is part of the process of spawning the mercs, see entry for mercs

PH - place holder, a mob which must be killed, usualy repetedally, in order to spawn another mob

primus camp - the location in Eastern Foul Plains where the raid mobs known as the mercs are spawned, see entry for mercs

roxxor - rocks, leet speak usually meaning to dominate someone in combat(Example: "I will roxxor you!")

SL - Shadowlands, a major expansion which added playfields set in a mystical world of floating land masses along with many new features, SL has been a controversal release in that it drastically altered the gameplay of AO in many ways

SK - shadow knowledge, after level 200 players can no longer get XP, instead they receive SK which functions the same as XP but may only be obtained in Shadowlands

suxxor - leet speak for sucks, something not good (example: "That suxxors")

T.I.M. - a unique mob in the form of a giant slayerdroid found at the end of the Biomare dungeon in The Longest Road, TIM drops an item called HUD Upgrade: Enhanced Target Acquisition which raises ranged init by a fairly large amount

TG - training ground, the area new characters start in

toon - from cartoon, a term some players use to refer to their character (Example: "I need to to get new armor for my toon")

TTFN - ta-ta for now, meaning "goodbye, see you later"

wc - 1. wrong channel, same as mt for mistell 2.welcome, as in "you are welcome"

zerg or zerging - to throw massive numbers of people at a target with little thought to strategy or planning, hopefully doing enough fast damage to take it down before it kills everyone, from the strategy game Starcraft, where mass attacks of small expendable creatures named zerglings was a common tactic

<3 - Need a more precise definition for this, not sure what to put, it's an owl wearing a wizard hat, right?
    Last edited by Snowglobe; May 12th, 2004 at 00:46:00.

Spammer.. :P J/k! Very nice list. should be sticky!
    RK1 - Hajk - Solitus - Lvl 217/DR 16 - Nanotech - Apocalypse
    ---
    Explorer 60% / Socializer 53% / Killer 46% / Achiever 40%

Next new entires :

TNH - The Night Heart - one of the guard bosses in pandemonium, located in second island

TSS - Timid Spectral Scourge - first "vortex" boss in Pandemonium , kill him opening portal to first island

SS - Senior Subjugator - second "vortex" boss, kill him opening portal to 3th island

this one can be kinda useful for ppl raiding pande
    Kiwaczekproud member of Alpha Omega

Server first: Key To The Garden Of Lord Galahad 13.02.2004
    Server first kill: The Beast
    Gimped Soldier 220 / 23

FUBAR= F'd up beyond all recognition.
    SNAFU= Situation Normal: All F'd UP.
    Crat= beuaracrat, a profession also known as an xp totem.
    Acardia Level 220 Pistolero- hit 220 in Org City
    Adolphus Level 215 Dictator
    Festamus Level 220 Hammer Swinging trox with pets

Before you loose everything it's good to realize that life is beautiful.

Originally posted by Zerosignal
    Zerosignal = forum troll
    Banned!

Btw, Snowglobe, would you mind if I used your list to update the dictionary on the AO site? I wouldn't add everything you have here, as that would make the list a bit too long (imo), but I'm sure I'll find some things on your list that ought to be on ours too.

Oh, and...

imo = in my opinion
    imho = in my humble opinion / in my honest opinion

AMS = Attack Modifying Something aka Attack Rating

DMS = Defense Modifying Something aka Defense Rating

Dunno the exact acronym Funcom uses for these 2.
    "Should start a combined raid/NW bot, where people get points if they help take down a clan base. Should be most effective." - Said by Waikase 14th of May 2003 in sarcasm to the appearance of the first raidbots on Rk1.

Originally posted by Snowglobe
    R

roxxor - rocks, leet speak usually meaning to dominate someone in combat(Example: "I will roxxor you!")

Wrong

I checked to see if these were there, but if they're already submitted, my apologies:

HI: Hollow Island, high level outdoor encounter in DAV characterized by increasingly powerful "rings" of foes

IS: Inner Sanctum, high level indoor dungeon that continues the theme of Temple of Three Winds

TBM: The Brood Mother, one of two endbosses of Hollow Island

HIW or Weed: Hollow Island Weed, one of two end bosses of Hollow Island

Other mob names that get bandied about alot and may not be known by new players:

Beast: final boss (apparently) of the Shadowlands
    Zodiacs: 12 bossmobs of Pandemonium
    Nirtox, Vivyan, Kronillis: the three Generals of the Dust Brigade (DB for Dust Brigade may be one too, didn't check on that)
    the Queen: usually referring to the Den Mantis Queen of Smuggler's Den
    Ljotur: Ljotur the Lunatic, minor raid mob in DAV

Some more obvious ones, but new players could get confused:

Nasc: Nascence, first world of the Shadowlands
    Ely: Elysium, second world of the Shadowlands
    *Scheol omitted because I've never seen it abbreviated*
    Ado: Adonis, fourth world of the Shadowlands
    Pen: Penumbra, fifth world of the Shadowlands
    Inf: Inferno, sixth world of the Shadowlands
    Pan, Pand, Pande: Pandemonium, seventh world of the Shadowlands

Not sure if any of these are helpful, just what came to my head as I looked through the list. Nice stuff, Snow!
    Last edited by Krystanova; May 12th, 2004 at 17:57:14.
    Rhiannon "Krystanova" Pourier
    Xenobiologist and Explorer, 179 Adventurer
    Explorer 100%, Achiever 53%, Socializer 47%, Killer 0%

Visit Faunlore: Rubi-Kan Wildlife, the Anarchy Online bestiary!

"blind: someone ninja looted a chest and found a bomb that blinds them for a few seconds." -- This also means more than just this, NTs have blind nanos and there are some items that blind a target when used like Twilight's Murder.

crunch -- a buff that reduces nano cost (commonly gotten from NTs, but MPs have a similar smaller buff too).

"EoT - Edge of Tarasque very rare enforcer only sword." -- It is not only enforcer now, keepers can use it too. Item name is Edge of the Tarasque (or The Edge of the Tarasque for QL 200)

"feline grace - an often asked for agent's buff that raises agility" -- Note, it is also commonly called "FG"

"gank - attacking and killing a player far below one's level who has little or no chance of fighting back, although a legitimate tactic in mass combat, when done off the battlefield it is gererally regarded as a cowardly and dishonorable act" -- Also known as attacking and hopefully killing a player without notice before they have a chance to attack back (not necessarily based on level). Happens frequently in arenas (Tir/Entertainment-1)

IOR - Izgimmer's Obfuscated Recompiler, the highest NT nano cost reducer buff.

LMAO: Laughing my ass off

"Nano Delta - Nanocost modifier, an attribute of items." -- I disagree with this definition. Nano delta actually is the speed your nano pool is refreshed. Nanocost modifier reduces the cost hit to your nano pool for casting a buff.

"OHQ - Omni-1 HQ" -- Also is known as HQ btw

"TL - title level, upon reaching a new title level skills you were previously unable to raise due to them being "title capped" will again be raisable, TL 1 = lvl 1-15, TL 2 = 15-50, TL 3 = 50-100, TL 4 = 100-150, TL 5 = 150-190, TL 6 = 90-200" -- The title levels are actually: TL 1 = 1-14, TL 2 = 15-49, TL 3 = 50-99, TL 4 = 100-149, TL 5 = 150-189, TL 6 = 190-204, TL 7 = 205-220

u - you
    Last edited by Egewene; May 12th, 2004 at 17:41:04.

Egewenee 200 Shade gear
    Egewene 203 NT

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast