Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Old School RK Hunting Areas!!!

Bump, this needs to stay up there for the new players.

Sticky!
    ....flojojojo | 220/17 vanguard, rimor's first 200 adventurer | equip | perks
    ..outtatime | 190/3 fixer

playing wow (pyrelight, 70 priest on uther server, alliance)
    retired from rubi-ka

The only thing that will get people back to these areas is loot or xp. As we have figured out, SL hecklers give more xp than just about anything for their difficulty/speed to kill.

I am reminded of a practice used by zoos, among other places, called Enrichment. Zookeepers found that animals were bored and sedate in their cages or habitats if they got fed at the same place, same time, etc. So they ****ed up the feeding routine, hiding food in different places, or freezing it in ice that the animals had to get through... things to make it more interesting for the animals. They found that the animals became much more lively and, apparently happy, as they found reasons to get up and look around their habitat.

In this great big zoo called AO, after you hit a medium level, you really can only do xp/sk efficiently in a limited fashion, as has already been expressed. I know I'm bored by SK.
    This whole construct of SL and RK is so vast, and people know so little of it.

My proposal for enrichment in AO is to hide goodies in the form of loot or xp in random spots on the planet. A particular type of Mob could drop an extra amount of xp or have a special loot table for a while. The KEY to the enrichment side of this, is that this extra bonus be TEMPORARY. For example, all of a sudden, Bronto Mamas start giving xp that is comparable to hecklers of that level, but only for a few days, or a week or so. After that, poof! back down to the gimpy level of xp they now give. After that, maybe it's rhinomen, or brieflabbs, or borgs, whatever. The point is, it would give people an incentive to come back to RK and explore again.

If you were around long enough to remember the salamander bug in missions, you'd know how much excitement a new source of phat xp causes and how fast word travels.

If done right, the vastness of the RK world would cease to be nothing but a scenice relic of days gone by, with the occasional unique mob that drops semi-phat loot.
    Last edited by Mashalasha; Jan 5th, 2005 at 02:26:24.
    -Mashalash

There can be no Uber without Gimp.

Quote Originally Posted by Talan
    Blitzing CRUs and I ran accross a borg in a mission, holding a nano-charged weapon... and I had an idea... upgrade their damage and AC and claim they nicked a shipment of SL weapons heading out of jobe, and then upgrade the XP on them as well

dont give them higher ACs!!
    SL sucks because the very limited ammount of weapons you can actually use that do any good.. because all hecks have 907987941798123 AC and your min damage has to be good to do much , but ok RK you can use some gimp ass weapon, even tho it may take forever, you still hit for something and not 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3

thts why i dont really like SL lol
    yea i know i am sorta a Sl noob and im not an old schooler, but i still do missions all the time on alts, because i know i can get to 100 easy on missions and never even touch a heck ^^, usually will go to SL for spec books and garden keys on alts

btw, any one got any good spots for a 84 advie to solo on ol RK ^^
    Noorb: 220 Keeper
    Retention: 217 shade
    Hawtpants: 210 trader
    Osker: 210 MA(may re roll)

not that it has to do with outdoor hunting but it is old school

Big D and little D

i remember gridding into MMD and running my azz off to get there
    getting listed then sitting around shooting the bull with fellow peeps waiting

lost some of the social aspect of AO when SL started to a point
    no more sitting around in large numbers in RK cities looking for teams

Quote Originally Posted by Mashalasha
    The only thing that will get people back to these areas is loot or xp. As we have figured out, SL hecklers give more xp than just about anything for their difficulty/speed to kill.

I am reminded of a practice used by zoos, among other places, called Enrichment. Zookeepers found that animals were bored and sedate in their cages or habitats if they got fed at the same place, same time, etc. So they ****ed up the feeding routine, hiding food in different places, or freezing it in ice that the animals had to get through... things to make it more interesting for the animals. They found that the animals became much more lively and, apparently happy, as they found reasons to get up and look around their habitat.

In this great big zoo called AO, after you hit a medium level, you really can only do xp/sk efficiently in a limited fashion, as has already been expressed. I know I'm bored by SK.
    This whole construct of SL and RK is so vast, and people know so little of it.

My proposal for enrichment in AO is to hide goodies in the form of loot or xp in random spots on the planet. A particular type of Mob could drop an extra amount of xp or have a special loot table for a while. The KEY to the enrichment side of this, is that this extra bonus be TEMPORARY. For example, all of a sudden, Bronto Mamas start giving xp that is comparable to hecklers of that level, but only for a few days, or a week or so. After that, poof! back down to the gimpy level of xp they now give. After that, maybe it's rhinomen, or brieflabbs, or borgs, whatever. The point is, it would give people an incentive to come back to RK and explore again.

If you were around long enough to remember the salamander bug in missions, you'd know how much excitement a new source of phat xp causes and how fast word travels.

If done right, the vastness of the RK world would cease to be nothing but a scenice relic of days gone by, with the occasional unique mob that drops semi-phat loot.
    This is brilliant- is FC listening?
    ...Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics...

...Even if you win , you're still retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Intoxicating
    not that it has to do with outdoor hunting but it is old school

Big D and little D

i remember gridding into MMD and running my azz off to get there
    getting listed then sitting around shooting the bull with fellow peeps waiting

lost some of the social aspect of AO when SL started to a point
    no more sitting around in large numbers in RK cities looking for teams

fyi the last time i checked big d and little d they hard non human mobs in them and were no longer desirable dungeons

sad because i had lots of fun days sitting in line at the D waiting for my turn and then getting what i thought was mad xp :P

Quote Originally Posted by LightSmyth
    This is brilliant- is FC listening?
    BUMP for this good idea!

I actually still head out to some of the old hunting areas every once in awhile. Mostly just for sentamental reasons I guess. Like others have mentioned with the freebie RK only accounts we should see a revival in some of these areas. I hope so cause I would like to team again in some of these old-school hunting grounds. Even if the XP and loot isnt as good as areas in SL, but it would be nice if they updated them a bit as well.

I still remember the times when everyone would scatter at the site of a Life Bleeder, or getting on a team mates case for pulling a thug at VB or 8x8.

TotW for lvl 30 ish is good too with more than 2K xp per mob and its pretty safe.

lvl 60 ish: statics dungeons in mort pwnz!
    or
    ninjaz on wine beach work good too!

Quote Originally Posted by Thehuntress
    TotW for lvl 30 ish is good too with more than 2K xp per mob and its pretty safe.

lvl 60 ish: statics dungeons in mort pwnz!
    or
    ninjaz on wine beach work good too!
    ToTW? Pretty safe at 30? In case you haven't been there recently, it's turned into a major train station. Pretty much have to hope someone's just cleaned house and rush through to the large room with Defender of Three in the middle. From there it gets a little less likely to be overrun by someone running from a boss, or just running out not caring about the 10+ cultists behind them which then aggro people along the way that happen to be going in the other direction.
    I guess it's all the froobies (Ok I'm a newbie too, un-froobied a month ago). So I don't know a lot of places to exp.

I'd appreciate a nice dungeon list. Pretty much all I know is Subway (under 25), ToTW (under 61) and Foreman's Office (60-80 in a team, one overtly high (130+?) boss, just like Subway's Abmouth Supremus).

Sticky?!!

Joe "Sefus" Werkit 212/17
    Squad Commander - PR - Recruitment
    3305 Local

Quote Originally Posted by Sefus
    Sticky?!!

/agree

Pretty good info for Free Accounts, since RK is all they'll ever see as FA. Situation updates on dungeons for old-gone-and-came-back too .

good information. Now that I finally got a yalm I spend more time soloing on rubika rather than soloing SL.

After ToTW, there is the Crypt of Home (CoH) down in Broken Shores. Pretty long run, though, and will have some auto-aggro red mobs along the way (sandworms, RK version of cripplers, etc).

Still the loot in the dungeon is pretty nice.

bump
    back to page 1

bump to page... btw... its came to my attention people have been -selling- this in game for credits... is it just me or is that really dodgy? I mean come-on, sell loot, info is to be shared!
    Alexander "Talan" Calnid
    Currently AFK, will see you all in a few months
    Advisor of Shattered Dreams ~ My Equipment ~ Bio ~ My AO-Journal
    Alts of Note: "Malta" Desan ~ Equip || Jiro "Stone" Yamato ~ Equip || Jane "Lustywench" Scarlet ~ Equip || Scape ~ Equip

Tsukts: Yeah... You were the naked perv in bor. lol
    Talan: yep that was me
    Tsukts: I still have nightmares about you.

please don't bump this anymore; if it needs to be added to a sticky for reference, that can be done, contact Bekrowe or Meesoon on it.
    ~ CJ ~
    Formerly known as Timelapse

Certified AO Forum Freak!

~ Check out our old comics here! ~

One thing I've seen with Rubi-ka... find a Grid point and head as far away as possible from it and you'll start running into some scary stuff at the end.
    Apokolips -=- Chief Engineer Level 185 "Does your Gigi Waddle?"
    Apokyrozch -=- Fixer Level 122
    Apokolipsis -=- Trader Level 100
    Apokalock -=- Nano-Technician Level 81
    Apokakron -=- Meta-Physicist Level 54

She lolwns me Alessa

I would like to see this stickied. Kind of a shame that Hecklers took so many of these unique experiences away from the average player.. I was trying to discuss this idea in the game suggestion forum also; hecklers really upset the balance of the game, and it surprises me that Funcom is either not willing or not able to see that.

It would be great to finally see that addressed. In the meantime, I spend lots of time exploring rubi-ka regardless of the poor exp.

FYI, I think Shadowlands is just as well-designed, and I feel there are many "hidden" points of interest in SL as well. Its just that, because of how easy and massively rewarding hecklers are, nobody feels any incentive or joy in exploring.
    -- Chilled, Co-Leader --
    South of Heaven :: RK2

No exp perks trained, Under Protest!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilled
    I would like to see this stickied. Kind of a shame that Hecklers took so many of these unique experiences away from the average player.. I was trying to discuss this idea in the game suggestion forum also; hecklers really upset the balance of the game, and it surprises me that Funcom is either not willing or not able to see that.

It would be great to finally see that addressed. In the meantime, I spend lots of time exploring rubi-ka regardless of the poor exp.

FYI, I think Shadowlands is just as well-designed, and I feel there are many "hidden" points of interest in SL as well. Its just that, because of how easy and massively rewarding hecklers are, nobody feels any incentive or joy in exploring.

I completely concur with this, I love the look and feel of both SL and RK, but I absolutly detest heck hunting, it's soooooooooooooooooooooooooo boring

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast